Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Klobuchar outlasting the Butt is probably the funniest thing to come out of this election.

You're talking about the same election cycle where heavy establishment favorite Kamala Harris quit almost a month before Marianne "Orb Mother" Williamson right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

BUG JUG posted:

There was a second death in Kirkland earlier today.

Maybe costco not the best place to stock up

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Best Friends posted:

I'm old as hell but I do remember when south Park's brilliant takedown of Al Gore's crazy 'global warming' hysteria was a huge thing on right wing blogs and with mainstream conservatives. Also their puppet movie had a whole major plot point about how stupid it was to be against the Iraq war. They don't have that much influence now because no one under 30 watches them anymore but they sure seemed to be a cultural force way back

Have you seen season 22 because they've basically gone full tankie and it is wonderful

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Woofer posted:

Investors love poo poo like the coronavirus. Just because the market is trending down (or has been) doesn’t mean people aren’t getting stupid loving rich. Just look at literally everything that’s ever happened. The US became the richest nation ever after a world war.

So getting rich off a crisis is probably one of the most patriotic things you can do.

Historically, widespread plagues are one of the most effective conditions to shift power to the laboring classes.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Is that because the ruling class tend towards being older/frailer?

The market value of pesants spikes when there's a supply bottleneck

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Jesus christ let this man go home and have a blankie and some warm milk and pet a good dogge already

https://twitter.com/BethLynch2020/s...ingawful.com%2F

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

sharknado slashfic posted:

I suppose this is a current event. Reading the information on Covid-19 Age/Sex/Existing Conditions as a 30-39 year old my chances of dying from this (based on current estimates which I know may be wrong) is .2%. But by pre-existing conditions, if I have hypertension (and nothing else wrong with me) that number jumps to 6%. Am I reading this right, because 6% is a bit uncomfortable.

Number based on this link, which I know is a few days out of date: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-age-sex-demographics/

That's not super useful without full crosstabs of age+comorbidity, it's probably less "hypertension makes you more likely to eat poo poo and die" and more "being old makes you eat poo poo and die and olds are majorly overrepresented in the hypertension bucket"

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The real lesson here is that both field campaigning and paid advertising barely matter and the optimal strategy going forward is gathering kompromat on tv news producers

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

well, at least we'll always have lofi bernie beats to study/radicalize to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm6qy_9E0rY

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

so it spread to north italy twice independently

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

'24 will be Schumer vs Haley because this is the Hell timeline

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

HEY FUCKERS

WE'RE +33!!!! IN MO SINCE 2/25

THIS AIN'T OVER BY A drat SIGHT

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/...ingawful.com%2F

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Numbers are going to start climbing quick now that they're finally handing testing over to local authorities. Wouldn't be surprised if there are pre-symptomatic carriers in every major US hub city at this point.

The guy diagnosed in Raleigh yesterday caught it at the nursing home in WA and flew back to NC on the 22'nd. We've all got it already.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Best Friends posted:

There is a full on push to paint Biden as the more woke candidate after he's spent his life being a creep to women and befriending segregationists, and it's got me so worked up I think I'm going to do the unthinkable and stop looking at Twitter for a while. My God the chutzpah of it all.

Don't panic, fight.

https://berniesanders.com/call/

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Dunking on cali was put on hold until the chuds actually got tired of all this winning

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Defenestrategy posted:

What is the function that gives delegates to the states. Is it how many democrats are in office there or something?

"The pledged delegate "base" allocation is determined by the jurisdiction's Presidential vote in 2008, 2012, and 2016; and the jurisdiction's electoral vote allocation based on 2010 census. Jurisdictions beginning their process later in the cycle and neighboring states that concurrently begin their process (aka "clustering") receive bonus delegates [Call to Convention I.]."

is as much detail as can find, no actual formula anywhere. The party sets the rules for the next cycle at the nominating convention so at the root level, it's Calvinball.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Also lol at the guy who's acting like Bernie, Nina Turner, Danny Glover, and Cornel West didn't appear at 100+ events all over SC for throughout the last year

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

nope!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The only way anyone could appeal to republican voters is to literally wear Donald Trump's skin as a suit

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Old Boot posted:

Speaking of:

https://twitter.com/matthewstoller/status/1236319297414344705

I am concerned about my folks, TBH. They're both in their mid-70s.

I am less concerned about Congress.

read the replies to skip the coronavirus and just die right now

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Two people in the GBS coronavirus thread with coronavirus exposure and symptoms of something but no testing yet, including mod Jose.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Jesus Christ, poor Joe.

https://twitter.com/BenjaminPDixon/...ingawful.com%2F

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

bird food bathtub posted:

Can you explain this to me with small words as if I was an idiot? I don't get finance-y/industry type stuff too quick. Saudi Arabia is just going to poo poo oil onto the world market to cut prices as low as they possibly can and try to WalMart the competition? I thought they could only do that short term because US fracking and stuff would just mothball their wells and what-not and wait until they were done?

Yeah basically this, with the added twist that the reason they're doing it is that they're convinced the global economy is hosed and they need to take whatever they can get for everything they have right now, hence the fire sale

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

That Works posted:

Calm down a little on that. States and localities have departments of health that can still enforce local containment measures and will likely do so more and more at their own discretion as it's obvious that the federal response is not going to be there for them. Even without proper testing it's not like this type of scenario of disease has never been considered.

200k americans dying would be slightly worse than a bad flu season, so it's not some society collapsing event yet.

lol

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

SimonCat posted:

Remember that General "Jack" Ripper was actually less extreme than the actual commander of SAC at the time.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Blind Rasputin posted:

Man, I remember just last Wednesday I was making some crack about, “just 10 more cases and the US will be at 169!” Now it will hit 1,000 by the end of the day. I know a lot of it is increased testing, but it’s increased people presenting as well. It’s honestly nuts how fast the number is going up.

Trump's dumbass "It's only 530 cases! Thousands die of the flu!" got me curious so I plugged the last few days numbers into a spreadsheet last night and extrapolated the growth rate.

This very naive model predicted 900 US cases today, 5,000 friday, and 1,000,000 on the 31st.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Even Republicans need to pass things every so often, to bring money back to their districts and keep their constituents and donors happy. In particular:

-Failing to "repeal and replace" Obamacare was a massive and embarrassing legislative failure

-Failing to propose, let alone pass any kind of infrastructure bill to fix the nation's crumbling roads and bridges (and dish out millions of dollars to individual Congressional districts)

-Failing to pass legislation to allocate money for the border wall, resulting in them having to steal money for the DoD to do so (thus directly taking money away from Congressional districts, which Democratic candidates like Cal Cunningham in North Carolina are already taking advantage of)

-Failing to pass any kind of gun legislation that firearm owners actually *want*, like nationwide concealed carry reciprocity or amending the NFA to remove silencers or stuff like SBRs

When you look at the 2016 Republican Party platform, there's all kinds of stuff they wanted to pass, in large part because there's only so much you can break or defund though executive action alone. They failed, for a variety of reasons, and those failures are going to hurt them on election day.

lol

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Get the popcorn it's time for the shitshow of shook Trump trying to reassure the nation from something he himself is actually scared of.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

At least on the fox feed the camera is so confused by the gold curtains that the white balance keeps bouncing from pink trump to bronze trump

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

haha one of my coworkers left for a 3 week vacation in amsterdam and ukraine yesterday

Also, chastened, conventionally serious Trump is more terrifying than I believed possible

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hannity is barely holding it together right now

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Immanentized posted:

They're apparently including import cargo as part of the ban, which is just incredibly stupid.

lol half of my job is ordering maintenance parts from germany gonna enjoy this vacation

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Halting cadence, shifty eyes, just generally being a much, much less effective and low-confidence liar than usual

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Incredible watching Hannity trying to minimize this even more desperately right after announcing Tom Hanks' infection and the cancellation of the NBA

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm-NW1RwPY8

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the kids are alright

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Shoulda followed through with the freight shutdown, no balls.

There are no taksies-backsies on live propaganda broadcasts, that's how the Berlin Wall came down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

If covid-19 puts Bernie in the white house I'll join a seminary