Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Louisiana postponing primaries. It begins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

... why is the CEO of WalMart on this press conference

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Actually mind blown, hijacking Walmart's distribution network and real estate for testing centers actually makes a hell of a lot of sense

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I can't believe they didn't decide or announce the us government will be booking every cruise cabin in the world at standard rates for... reasons

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

On the bright side I finally got through to some of the office boomers by asking them how many times they've been to the hospital in the last year and then to realize next time they'll be at the back of the line behind 500 people that can't breathe.

Oh, you broke your arm? Are you gonna die right now? No? Well guess what, nobody gives a gently caress then.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Every single time these assholes say anything about 2009 I want them to die even more.

https://www.modernhealthcare.com/technology/labs-face-challenges-creating-diagnosis-testing-covid-19

quote:

In addition, the experiences of the H1N1 pandemic a little over a decade ago could inform the current COVID-19 situation, according to Roswell Park's Nowak.

H1N1 was also a global emergency that instigated implementation of emergency-use diagnostic testing, with labs and commercial entities stepping up to develop tests. The CDC received EUA (Emergency Use Authorization) on May 2, 2009 after the emergency was declared in the U.S. on April 26, and commercial tests started receiving EUA about five months later.

Labs were also able to develop their own tests in that emergency. "During the 2009 H1N1 flu epidemic, FDA did not prohibit the use of LDTs (Lab-Developed Tests), and community hospital laboratories played a major role in testing for that virus," Nowak said in an email.

He and others wrote a review article after the H1N1 emergency on the role that community molecular diagnostics labs played. H1N1 was "the first pandemic in the age of molecular diagnostics," they wrote, and it begged questions about preparedness and oversight in the lab community.

The conclusion at the time was that labs did a great job. They were able to pioneer tests specific for H1N1 and deploy them rapidly to begin screening — an aspect that, along with surveillance testing, was initially delayed in the current COVID-19 outbreak due to issues with the first batch of CDC kits.

Indeed, the H1N1 review suggests that the "rich resource" of skilled molecular diagnostics experts was "generally undervalued, unappreciated, and … underutilized." It also noted that a survey by the Association for Molecular Pathology at the time revealed that labs relied on more than five different commercial assays, both analyte-specific reagents and in vitro diagnostic tests, and some also used noncommercial laboratory-developed tests.

A decade ago, the labs' H1N1 assay validation process was not regulated by FDA, and the new oversight is unprecedented.

"The FDA enforcement of the EUA requirement for [the current] testing was unfortunate and short sighted," Nowak said. He added that the strategy has "seriously delayed the availability of testing in the U.S."

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The virus-specific consumables for this test are available right here and cost $0.25/test and the other equipment and accessories are readily available in practically any research university or major hospital lab. There's no goddamn excuse for this being so hosed up.

https://www.idtdna.com/pages/landing/coronavirus-research-reagents

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

quote:

Overconfidence: businesses start calling for WFH staff to come back in. People getting antsy about how much things have changed and think it's fine now.

Five or six cycles of this plus everyone who got it first and survived going on infinite overtime as soon as they can stumble around with a broom

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

JESUS CHRIST
:stonk:

Biden scheduled a teleconference town hall for 4:00 today, that was rescheduled to 6:00, then to 6:30, and, well, just watch the official livestream.

All four minutes of it.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=202356457661426&id=7860876103

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

lmao holy poo poo guys if you're worried about the direction of the democratic party make sure you go to your precinct realignment and county meetings

I just got a seat on the state executive committee for being the only county convention attendee under 70

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

bird food bathtub posted:

I'm out canvassing for the candidates I want to see in office in this area (Seriously you assholes in the TriState area PM me I'll get you the numbers for McKayla Wilke's campaign) so I do that, but stuff like joining the local precinct alignment committee? I haven't lived in the same STATE for more than two years in so long I can't remember. I don't have "a community" to be part of, I'll be somewhere else in probably six months for whatever my next job is.

This is the first time I had ever attended a party meeting or event.

It was like "Who the gently caress is this guy? Yeah, good, OK, put him in charge"

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Tonight's debate just got a lot more interesting

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

pmchem posted:

hahaha holy poo poo

"Reserve Requirements

For many years, reserve requirements played a central role in the implementation of monetary policy by creating a stable demand for reserves. In January 2019, the FOMC announced its intention to implement monetary policy in an ample reserves regime. Reserve requirements do not play a significant role in this operating framework.
In light of the shift to an ample reserves regime, the Board has reduced reserve requirement ratios to zero percent effective on March 26, the beginning of the next reserve maintenance period. This action eliminates reserve requirements for thousands of depository institutions and will help to support lending to households and businesses."

:rip:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Maybe I should stop putting money in my TSP account.

noooooooo

https://awealthofcommonsense.com/2014/02/worlds-worst-market-timer/

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Courtesy of the aeronautical insanity thread in AI:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Have some more levity courtesy of wallstreetbets

"The realized losses I incurred were over -18400%"

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Chichevache posted:

Like a middle school dance?

Literally told a co worker "leave room for jesus" while nudging him away with a meterstick today

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

good morning thread here's a mood lightener before whatever wave of horrors wednesday holds in store:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Big 3 shut down all US production indefinitely

https://www.freep.com/story/news/2020/03/18/ford-gm-fca-plant-closures-coronavirus/2865289001/

:rip:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

So what is happening re covid in India and Russia? It seems completely unbelievable that they've avoided it, but so far I haven't really heard much mention of them.

Denialism.

https://m.timesofindia.com/india/these-diseases-kill-many-more-than-coronavirus/articleshow/74670863.cms

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/...ingawful.com%2F

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Old Boot posted:

Yeah WHO is pretty adamant that it's never too late for aggressive testing. At bare minimum, it would cut down a lot of the anxiety surrounding asymptomatic carry.

Like, the way this was handled, someone could rightly sue for emotional damages if they did everything right and still unknowingly infected a vulnerable loved one that went on to die.

I mean people could rightly (try to) sue the gov't period for how it all shook out, and the toll it's already taken.

Edit: well probably not but it's a nice thought anyway

Thing that gives me nightmares more than anything else is the prospect of being asymptomatically infected and getting over it without knowing and continuing to be in lockdown mode when I don't have to

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

well it has been illegal for congressmen to trade on inside information for, oh, almost eight years now

quote:

Insider trading bill heads to House

By SCOTT WONG

02/02/2012 06:11 PM EST

Updated 02/03/2012 03:31 PM EST

The Senate broke through its usual gridlock on Thursday and easily passed a politically popular bill that would ban insider trading for lawmakers and their staffs.

After days of bickering over amendments, the STOCK Act sailed through the Senate on a 96-3 vote and now heads to the House, where Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) has pledged to bring the bill to the floor next week. Sens. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.), Richard Burr (R-N.C.) and Jeff Bingaman (D-N.M.) were the only no votes.

:thunk:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Tucker Carlson is morally outraged that someone else would downplay the severity of NCoV-19 for a paycheck

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

D&D mods posting in TFR for shopping advice, this is getting genuinely apocalyptic.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I watched Downfall one night last week and it's a really good inoculation against "The voters are too stupid to be worth trying to save" if you've been feeling that, like I was.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

lmao truly bureaucracy is universal

quote:

The Messenger of God (SAWS) said: "When one of you wakes from his sleep, let him not dip his hand into the vessels until he washes it three times, for he does not know where his hand spent the night"

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Hyrax Attack! posted:

A relative who was a pilot for American Airlines for decades retired a few years ago and took a lump sum rather than a pension, which in theory would be less but he didn’t trust them enough to be reliant on American Airlines management during retirement. This looks smarter each year.

Anyone who lived through or reads about the 80s and still believes in defined benefit plans is a fuckin chump

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Ok I'm really pissed at the coronavirus now because my dick dad finally died and I can't even high-five anyone

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I wonder what everyone who was screaming about Jade Helm is up to right now

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

LingcodKilla posted:

Man loving mypay too right?

~an SOF marine

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I flew over as a replacement, I landed in Kuwait a day or two before the invasion started. To say that we got equipped with whatever was still laying around is accurate. I had an M16A2 with iron sights but at least I got to zero it. At first all they had for us was tracers, but eventually they gave us British ammo would gently caress up our weapons because of the barrel twist, which was nice.

I just want to say god drat that is a great username

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

"If General McClellan does not want to use the army, I should like to borrow it." - A. Lincoln

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

ASAPI posted:

That is insane.

I can *almost* understand a call for very strict triage rules like in Italy (ie, old people will die, accept it). But this is insane. There is no way to guarantee the controlled rate of infection. This sounds like they were on some drugs and watching/reading bad scifi.

no it's proof of what CSPAM has been trying to explain to everyone for years, your lives are meaningless to those in power when weighed against the risk of Number Go Down.

quote this post in the near future when they're pushing to roll back child labor laws as a hail-mary to jumpstart the economy.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 25, 2020

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Also Duzzy your sister sounds like the exact kind of not just irresponsible but anti-responsible that my dad was and I can say that yes, your life very likely will be better if you :sever:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

what if I made an even more questionable life choice and got a tokarev because it's still easy to find ammo for

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/Just_SomeChick/...ingawful.com%2F

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Finally get their own nation state after 2,100 years of continuous occupation and can't even be assed to pay for it

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/KiwiEV/status/1...ingawful.com%2F

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Owned by John Kerry, truly a fate more disgraceful than death.