Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Senator Sanders is going to dominate Super Tuesday, to own the libs

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

McNally posted:

Don't use words that end with "-tard," particularly in this context.

Okay

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

We'll need a thunk smiley that a team of cheerleaders unfurls to cover an entire football field

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Slim Pickens posted:

When did MSNBC turn into centrist conservative trash?

i think you mean MSDNC

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Acebuckeye13 posted:

my Republican-leaning dad could probably be convinced.

get a hold of yourself

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
They're going to run Biden. He's going to lose.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Flikken posted:

Name and shame

I reported bird cooch for saying he'd vote for the MRE that shall not be named

Not even funny man

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I heard covid19 comes from girls Jews China, and they can't test for it without a painful spinal tap and a hospital stay. My cousin got it. The only real cure is to eat asparagus and piss on your feet in the shower.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

M_Gargantua posted:

“You’re full of poo poo” was actually the perfect response there

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

facialimpediment posted:

Here's a stimulus program that isn't gonna fuckin happen!

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1237431615325954053?s=19

It appears that the general White House is about as tethered to reality as Donnie is.

How are we going to pay for this!?!?

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Whichever one is the saddest.

well, KCK is sadder than KCMo, but it's not like it's a high bar

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I'm beginning to think that taking a 100% commission-based job that involves interacting with dozens of people on a daily basis just as a global hyper-virulent pandemic is ramping up might not have been the brightest decision I've ever made.

you'll be fine as long as you get in early to reserve a space on one of the $50,000 per day breathing machines and have enough savings or paid sick leave to cover your rent while you're on it for 6 weeks

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Internet Wizard posted:

Yeah I decided to stay home. I haven't seen any Boulder County cases yet but the Denver region has a bunch so it's only a matter of time.

Pissed though because we were supposed to learn how to use an atlatl and start a fire today in Archaeology and those seem like useful skills

are you taking ANTH 2200, Archaeology of Human History with Cameron? That class was dope af

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Hot Karl Marx posted:

My work told me yesterday at toolbox talk to expect to get laid off if you're off for 3 days or more without a doctors note

My work told us they are getting us a bottle of purell we can use after we use the certain tools in the van we share between the crew

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Slim Pickens posted:

People are doing the same with ammo. It's getting harder and harder to find 9mm range ammo, just the expensive self-defense and match stuff in limited quantities. 5.56 was on it's way to clearing out at the Bass pro I was in as well.

I tried to do some grocery shopping today, went to a King Soopers (a Colorado Kroger) and the local Walmart. Both were completely wiped of canned goods, eggs, tp, produce section mauled, etc. While in the wally world, I was like ehh well, maybe I ought to grab a box of buckshot shells, y'know, just in case things get real weird

The food all being gone stopped bumming me out after I went to the HMart and finally got some vegetables and eggs (meat still gone), but seeing the 12ga man-loads fresh out and the birdshot left behind is still spooky to me

We're closer to the edge than anyone wants to admit

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Mercalli intensity is way more useful for the common man than Richter magnitude. It is less directly quantifiable, but is better at answering "are people's houses ok". The perceived shaking and predicted damage rows of the table from USGS in the link above are probably from some version of or something like a modified Mercalli scale.

There are so many factors involved, though. Local bedrock geology and surface geomorphology, yes, but also local building codes and so forth.

On my active tectonics field course, we went to look at a little neighborhood of ruins by Springdale, UT that was flattened by the St. George earthquake in 1992. It had roughly the same middling intensity as this morning's SLC quake, but flattened a bunch of houses 50 miles away because they were built right next to a hillslope that contained a layer of gypsum about 50cm thick -- some of the material overlying that relatively squishy gypsum just kinda sloughed right off and destroyed all those Zion NP vacation houses. Buildings a quarter mile away or on the other side of the highway were fine.

Edit: i should explain that the Mercalli describes an earthquake in terms of "knocks poo poo off of your shelves" or "breaks parts of your house" or "kills everyone in Seattle" rather than numbers that are largely meaningless to non-seismologists or -tectonicists

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 18, 2020

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Handsome Ralph posted:

Canada just withdrew from the Olympics. Unless they're postponed till next year.

And hold them every four years in years that aren't multiples of four?

no no no no NO

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I am working residential construction rn, you would not be able to tell anything is wrong in this neighborhood. I can count five different trades working right now from where I'm sitting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Yeah, incredible Baghdad Bob energy.

Also, this happened
https://twitter.com/awinston/status/1242945302291718150?s=19

Wtf? Why?

I mean, obviously you can ask the same questions for any domestic terror plot, still, tho