Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

tarbrush posted:

The nfl season will be fine, your kleptocrat overlords are going to get a million people killed, but they'll all be dead by September

October is when this starts flaring back up again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Ehud posted:

We half-assed a tank job, went 5-11 and ended up in a position where we'll probably have to give up a considerable amount of draft assets to get a good QB.

And the first thing Flores did of note as a coach of the team was that stupid rear end stunt with Kenny Stills which still bothers me. He can say he supports the player social justice movements all he wants, but his actions in that moment tell another story.

I really have no reason to be optimistic for his regime outside of, "Brian Flores kept everyone playing hard during one of the worst seasons in franchise history."

He's developed a multitude of players and coaches, he's attracted both premium and cheap free agents, players generally like playing for him and he won five games with a sub replacement level roster. Against that, he was a poo poo to Kenny Stills and might hypothetically draft Herbert.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

FizFashizzle posted:

if the season doesn't happen (which it won't) what happens with the 2021 draft order?

and will the college players just declare anyway or will it not count for them, because college football isn't happening either.

NFL rule is based on years removed from the high school graduating class, isn't it? So it should definitely count regardless of whether they play any NCAA games. I imagine people like Lawrence will bail, but it will be interesting to see who else goes since guys tend to develop later in football.

If this happened in the 2019 season, Burrow would have been a third rounder instead of first overall.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
If the fins had successfully tanked they would be in such an amazing position right now.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

tarbrush posted:

He's developed a multitude of players and coaches, he's attracted both premium and cheap free agents, players generally like playing for him and he won five games with a sub replacement level roster. Against that, he was a poo poo to Kenny Stills and might hypothetically draft Herbert.

"I came here to play for coach X" is the most tired cliche that free agents say when they sign somewhere new. I don't put any stock in that.

I have no idea how to do the measurements on crediting Flores with developing a "multitude" of players and coaches. I have no idea how good any of these guys would be playing anywhere else. And I really have no idea how you measure how well Flores developed a coach?

I'm a jaded, old Dolphins fan. I'm not going to get excited about a coaching staff or front office until we put together two consecutive good seasons of football, which has not happened in like two decades.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Ehud posted:

Why are you skeptical of Burrow?

One year wonder, only looked good when surrounded by a stacked team

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah I think I'm a bit of the mind that if I were Miami I wouldn't give up everything for Burrow, especially when I could reasonably get Tua for a lot less. The track record for first-round QBs the past five or six years hasn't been that great, especially those drafted within the first five picks.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/status/1245071397392502784?s=19

Yikes

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Ehud posted:

I think we're gonna end up drafting Herbert because we're a stupid, lovely franchise

tarbrush posted:

I would be flabbergasted if they did this. I think they're much more likely to white-knuckle it at five and pick whichever of Tua or Herbert drops. If neither drops I can see them going on tilt and doing something weird.

My best guess remains 5 and 26 for 3, and then picking Tua

I really really don’t see them drafting Herbert. There’s more smoke in the Love camp than Herbert camp. I guess the interviews with Flores and Grier did not go well with Herbert

It’d be amazing to see them actually understand you don’t go all in for ONE shot because of job pressure

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Ehud posted:

"I came here to play for coach X" is the most tired cliche that free agents say when they sign somewhere new. I don't put any stock in that.

I have no idea how to do the measurements on crediting Flores with developing a "multitude" of players and coaches. I have no idea how good any of these guys would be playing anywhere else. And I really have no idea how you measure how well Flores developed a coach?

I'm a jaded, old Dolphins fan. I'm not going to get excited about a coaching staff or front office until we put together two consecutive good seasons of football, which has not happened in like two decades.

He also developed a pro bowl level player right out of town.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

He also developed a pro bowl level player right out of town.

He's pulling the same bullshit in Pittsburgh.

I'm not saying that Flores is the second coming or anything, I'm just saying that right at the moment he's in credit, not on his final warning.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Ehud posted:

Why are you skeptical of Burrow?

All the same reasons that have been beaten to death already. (also tiny hands) kidding

We'll see how he turns out, maybe he really is that good

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
We saw him develop two guys this year alone, which is a hell of a lot more than you can ever say for Philbin or Gase.

And the word around the agent realm is guys were legitimately looking at Miami as a preferred destination partly because of what Flores got out of his guys. If you’re a backup / fringe starter who knows you can do better, you pick the hot team and hope for the big 3rd deal.

I have a lot of faith in Flores, but the mass exodus of coaches gave a lot of people (rightful) pause. After seeing and hearing the full explanations of everyone leaving you kinda see a situation that looks good for Miami, not bad.

Ultimately this all means nothing if we don’t find a QB tho!

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 1, 2020

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

fsif posted:

Yeah I think I'm a bit of the mind that if I were Miami I wouldn't give up everything for Burrow, especially when I could reasonably get Tua for a lot less. The track record for first-round QBs the past five or six years hasn't been that great, especially those drafted within the first five picks.

All of the best quarterbacks recently have come from the first round in that time, basically. Jackson, Mahomes, Murray, Wentz, Goff, Mariota, Winston, Mayfield/Darnold/Allen. Now those guys aren't all worldbeaters but most have been solid and most importantly there was nothing really better outside of the first round. Honestly in order to find a draft where later quarterbacks performed better than earlier ones you have to go back to 2014, when Bortles, Manziel and Bridgewater went in the first followed by Garoppolo and Carr in the second, who have probably proved themselves the best QBs in that group.

Still, it's pretty rare, usually if you are finding a franchise quarterback you are finding him in the first round, and often you are paying quite a bit to put yourself in that position to get him, it's just how it is. Refusing to gamble won't get you any further, generally.

I'll go on record saying that I think Burrow will be a good quarterback, he has attributes I value most highly in prospects (processing, accuracy, footwork, calm under pressure, can navigate the pocket, etc.) and some of those attributes are straight up elite to a level you rarely see in college players. He is absolutely an NFL-ready quarterback, and a better prospect (imo) than other recent first round picks like Sam Darnold and Baker Mayfield.

Whether he succeeds on the Bengals is another question entirely, but in my mind there is no question Burrow is the class of the field (followed very closely by Tua) and any team would be lucky to be in a position to draft him.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
How much did Washington give up to move up to take RG3?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

3 firsts and a 2nd I think

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

2012, 2013, and 2014 1st rounders, as well as the 2012 2nd rounder

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
It looked good for Washington until his knee got destroyed

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Better Than You posted:

It looked good for Washington until his knee got destroyed

Yeah, it did. Although it took time for St. Louis to really see the benefit.

With the extra picks the Rams got Michael Brockers, Janoris Jenkins, Alex Ogletree, and Greg Robinson (oof). Of course, when they took Robinson at #2 they also got Aaron Donald with their own pick at #13 sooooo

These things can work out, I'm guessing the Falcons didn't regret the haul they gave up to draft Julio.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Play posted:

All of the best quarterbacks recently have come from the first round in that time, basically. Jackson, Mahomes, Murray, Wentz, Goff, Mariota, Winston, Mayfield/Darnold/Allen.

You wouldn't want to give up a huge bounty for half of those quarterbacks, though. You definitely would for Mahomes, Jackson, and Watson (none of which were drafted in the top 5!), a maybe for Murray and Wentz, and a doubtful/definitely not for Goff, Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Winston, and Mariota. Combine those with the obvious duds and a couple other "probably not"s (Paxton Lynch, Trubisky, Rosen, Daniel Jones, Haskins) and you have between 3–5 out of 16 (19–31%) shot of it paying off.

Miami should still draft someone, of course, but I wouldn't give up that much equity for it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

fsif posted:

You wouldn't want to give up a huge bounty for half of those quarterbacks, though. You definitely would for Mahomes, Jackson, and Watson (none of which were drafted in the top 5!), a maybe for Murray and Wentz, and a doubtful/definitely not for Goff, Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, Winston, and Mariota. Combine those with the obvious duds and a couple other "probably not"s (Paxton Lynch, Trubisky, Rosen, Daniel Jones, Haskins) and you have between 3–5 out of 16 (19–31%) shot of it paying off.

Miami should still draft someone, of course, but I wouldn't give up that much equity for it.

I think you're being a bit glib with 'pays off' because still the majority of those teams who drafted those quarterbacks are better for having done so. Maybe Darnold and Mayfield don't compare that well to some other prospects, but their teams are still better for having drafted them. Basically, you gotta play the game and take a chance, obviously trying to minimize risk as much as possible but not taking a chance somewhere isn't really an option

One draftee may compare unfavorably to others but but still favorably to the other options the team had, most of the teams in your doubtful/definitely not category were still better off for making that call

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

tarbrush posted:

He's pulling the same bullshit in Pittsburgh.

I'm not saying that Flores is the second coming or anything, I'm just saying that right at the moment he's in credit, not on his final warning.

What? No he isn't, he had 6 INTs, 3 FF and 2 defensive TDs, and played at FS the whole season. Tomlin doesn't ask him to do anything but play center field, and he's killer at it

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

https://twitter.com/Primetime_jet/status/1245405615482179584

ronpaulitshappening.gif

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

That's not 6 feet apart

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Play posted:

I think you're being a bit glib with 'pays off' because still the majority of those teams who drafted those quarterbacks are better for having done so. Maybe Darnold and Mayfield don't compare that well to some other prospects, but their teams are still better for having drafted them. Basically, you gotta play the game and take a chance, obviously trying to minimize risk as much as possible but not taking a chance somewhere isn't really an option

One draftee may compare unfavorably to others but but still favorably to the other options the team had, most of the teams in your doubtful/definitely not category were still better off for making that call

I'm not really convinced that any of those teams are better off with a Darnold/Allen/Mayfield tier QB than they would be with an Andy Dalton.

I agree these teams still need to take a shot and I'm okay with trading up (within reason!) to do it, but the proposed Miami bounties that include three first round picks are too much, especially when Miami has pick #5 and can probably get Tua for far less.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

D-LINK posted:

What? No he isn't, he had 6 INTs, 3 FF and 2 defensive TDs, and played at FS the whole season. Tomlin doesn't ask him to do anything but play center field, and he's killer at it

Yes, and towards the end of the season he was complaining that he wasn't being moved around enough and not being made best use of.

Performance was not the issue in Miami, he's been fantastic everywhere and I would absolutely have him back in a heartbeat. But he does seem to hit discontentment with coaching pretty easily

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

fsif posted:

I'm not really convinced that any of those teams are better off with a Darnold/Allen/Mayfield tier QB than they would be with an Andy Dalton.

I agree these teams still need to take a shot and I'm okay with trading up (within reason!) to do it, but the proposed Miami bounties that include three first round picks are too much, especially when Miami has pick #5 and can probably get Tua for far less.
Well, I mean, they could be: Darnold/Allen/Mayfield are all much younger than Dalton and could still improve, even considerably. Dalton, more than likely, is going to be the same player he has been, unless he starts declining physically.
But yeah, giving up that much draft capital for any one player is dumb. The Bills were super dumb to give up what they did for Allen, even if he turns out to be actually good.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

I think the Bills would be flirting with Super Bowl contender with Dalton as their QB. I say "flirting" because Patrick Mahomes exists.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Ehud posted:

We half-assed a tank job, went 5-11 and ended up in a position where we'll probably have to give up a considerable amount of draft assets to get a good QB.

And the first thing Flores did of note as a coach of the team was that stupid rear end stunt with Kenny Stills which still bothers me. He can say he supports the player social justice movements all he wants, but his actions in that moment tell another story.

I really have no reason to be optimistic for his regime outside of, "Brian Flores kept everyone playing hard during one of the worst seasons in franchise history."

The regime, over my explicit objections (they never seem to listen to the Colorado based fan community) traded Minkah, and that's looking smart given his attitude issues even after he got what he wanted; got good value for Tunsil, whose contract looks far heavier than his talent; have added team first hard workers with talent at positions of need; got the most out of a team with holes literally everywhere. There was never a tank job, just the expectation that having the least talented team in the league would result in the worst record. They've got credit with me on coaching, and credit on talent evaluation. I agree, I'd like Burrows. I'd like Tua. I do not want to end up with just one pick in the first round, and I'm real scared to give up that capital on a guy with one good season or a guy who has never had one full good season.

D-LINK posted:

https://www.thephinsider.com/2020/2/7/21128030/miami-dolphins-minkah-fitzpatrick-unhappy-pittsburgh-steelers-trade

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 1, 2020

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

D-LINK posted:

He’s referring to this -

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/07/minkah-fitzpatrick-wants-to-be-moving-piece-on-the-chessboard-in-2020/

And honestly his dip in production was obvious. Several of those INTs were pure flukes, not the result of any tremendous play by him TBH. But he’s still a stud and they have a an amazing FS for the price of 18. Great trade by Pitt.

And Flores didn’t run him out of town. That’s an incredibly incorrect understanding of the situation

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Amy Pole Her posted:

He’s referring to this -

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/07/minkah-fitzpatrick-wants-to-be-moving-piece-on-the-chessboard-in-2020/

And honestly his dip in production was obvious. Several of those INTs were pure flukes, not the result of any tremendous play by him TBH. But he’s still a stud and they have a an amazing FS for the price of 18. Great trade by Pitt.

And Flores didn’t run him out of town. That’s an incredibly incorrect understanding of the situation

Yeah, he'll get to do more this season, as do all 2nd year players on Pittsburgh's notoriously hard-to-learn defense. Not being snarky, just saying Tomlin/Butler always keep rookie and new player's workload simple

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/status/1245430646903681024?s=19

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

D-LINK posted:

Yeah, he'll get to do more this season, as do all 2nd year players on Pittsburgh's notoriously hard-to-learn defense. Not being snarky, just saying Tomlin/Butler always keep rookie and new player's workload simple

Maybe. Coming off a pretty mediocre second half of the season, he's talking an awful lot and asking for change. Exactly what he did in Miami, as noted. Maybe he'll grow up but running to the media (and having his mother run interference for him) on two teams in one season is reason to be concerned.

If they can keep him playing at a high level, it's a steal.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

D-LINK posted:

Oh i don’t think you were the one who said Flores ran him out of town! I actually don’t recall who said that.

Omar seems to hate Flores which tells me he’s doing
Something right

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
What if the NFL decided to just monopolize all this dead time? What if they started the draft today and only had 3 or 4 picks a night? You could analyze each pick for an hour or so and it would definitely be something to watch. Yeah, there would be extreme fatigue, but.....I’d probably flip it on.

3 picks a night: 85 days of the draft

4 picks a night: 64 days of the draft

Good luck on those hour long profiles of the seventh round picks though.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I wonder if that would result in a bunch more trades than we normally get.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

A round a night could absolutely work. gently caress it I’d watch some of the 3 hours of round 7 just to see how lost the commentators are talking about these players they’ve never heard of.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

A round a night could absolutely work. gently caress it I’d watch some of the 3 hours of round 7 just to see how lost the commentators are talking about these players they’ve never heard of.

I'd watch to see 20 minutes of them reviewing every social media post a 7th round punter made since high school.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Chichevache posted:

I'd watch to see 20 minutes of them reviewing every social media post a 7th round punter made since high school.

They should do this for everyone it would be great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The Vikings would still miss their pick