Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Just picked up this game and after about 8 games of offline raid with pve enabled on Customs, I managed to get one raid where I didn't get my legs blacked out in the first scav fight.

Is this every fight? You just blow out your legs and pimp walk around the map until someone kills you? What am I missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Thanks, was just rolling in with the free starter gear and only doing offline to get used to the controls and mechanics. Coming off of Hunt Showdown as my primary FPS, the controls are taking some getting used to and the sheer amount of "advanced controls" keybinds in this game is staggering.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Trying to dig up information on this game is really difficult sometimes. Is it correct that the only way to get a Gamma case is to drop $140 on your "pre-order"?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Well I guess I'll just roll with my 2x2 prison wallet then. I'm not willing to pay to win that much.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Think I got killed by my first hacker. First online raid on Reserve, had to crouch in a bathroom stall to deal with some text messages and after sitting dead still for about five minutes I hear footsteps and a guy tears rear end into the building and beelines for my stall and mag dumps me.

It was a Scav too so it’s not like I can even report the guy. Player Scav assumed since he didn’t jabber in Russian at any point in his mad dash to kill me.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Ok brand new to the game. What is tagged and cursed?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Huh, didn't realize that was a thing that could happen in an online game. I suppose that's a possibility. I've read that Tarkov does have a radar/ESP cheating issue and always hate to jump straight to "he was hacking" when I die in any game, but this was super weird.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

So is the player count persistent in a given raid or do people still spawn in throughout? If I come across like 6 pmc bodies in crossroads does that mean at most it’s me plus 5 others? Or did six guys dying just make room for fresh recruits to pop in?

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

This is probably a dumb question, but is there no such thing as Scav solidarity? I think 9 out of 10 of my Scav runs, I've been killed by another player Scav.

I need to just throw myself into games more so I can get past the fear of getting ganked because this is a gank simulator so far. Level 10 seems so far away.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

As a scaredy-cat new player I'm looking forward to Customs not just being a series of choke points.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

What's the distance to hear player footsteps without a headset? Had a really tense game of cat and mouse where I got caught in a pocket in Shoreline village and a PMC ran up the fence and heard me hit a bush. I was doing a scav run and only had a Mosin so not great for CQB. We both crouched trying to see who would make the first move, and I slowly backed away from the entrance to the pocket. Eventually he pushed in and didn't see me at first, and I put enough Mosin rounds into him to make him duck out and heal. I heard a few more footsteps circling around the fence but after a few more minutes decided to say gently caress it because my time was running out and my only extracts were at Resort. He was long gone. No idea he had run off because the last steps I heard were right outside my position.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I’m spoiled by Hunt Showdown, but drat does the binaural audio need some work in this game. Guy sprinted around a corner in the darkness at the back of Oli within about 15-20m and I heard nothing until he was mag dumping me. I had a headset on and everything.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

The Clap posted:

I had turned on Steam Audio hoping that it would be better but poo poo like this happened all the time. It's weird, you want to be able to trust the game's audio and of course there's a chance that I'm just dogshit at the game but it happened way too many times. Switched back to normal audio and haven't been having nearly as many issues.

It's just something I'll have to get used to and I'll have to try to rely on my (poor) vision more than sound. The only FPS I really spent a ton of time on (300 hours and I'm still trash) is Hunt Showdown which has an amazing sound system. I know Tarkov is in Beta and such and I just need to get used to the finer points, but I've also seen game footage on YouTube where someone was totally blindsided by another player moving up silently (and not sneaking, just walking or running without sound).

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

twig1919 posted:

Goons. We get it, hunt showdown is a better game than tarkov in every way expect for playing gun barbie.

We don't mention that game in this thread though because then the thread shitters will migrate and before we know it both threads will suck.

I wasn't trying to start a derail or declare one game as superior, I'm just getting used to the differences in how sound works in Tarkov. I don't think these two games on the whole can really be compared to each other as they are totally different experiences. If it's been a thing that shits up this thread in the past though, I won't bring it up again.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Famethrowa posted:

can...can scavs use mounted machine guns now? I just got headshot across the map by a 12.7x108 with a scav name

it was 6 minutes into the raid so I doubt it was a pscav

They can and it’s terrifying. Reshala and his boys probably spawned in the fort and started lighting the place up.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I had a Woods run last night where the whole screen jittered with every movement and thankfully I was sniped two minutes in before I had a seizure.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Double tapping Tab is a quick way to reset the “place” tooltip for those quests as well.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

My kingdom for two KEK Tape.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I am constantly checking all the spots and they remain elusive. But every goon I know trips over ten of them whenever I log off for the night. :argh:

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

You can lower the cost of moonshine by making your own water and by trading meds to therapist for sugar when she resets. Overall moonshine isn’t the most profitable craft though.

Vogs all day.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Oh trust me, we're here. This was in the same raid and I do not deserve these two Insomnia kills!

https://streamable.com/eszo8l

https://streamable.com/6ryvju

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

If you do run Labs with goons, make sure you know where Nacho is.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

Get Kappa on my first wipe ever a few days ago :discourse:

Game wipes tomorrow :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I know there was some discussion recently about firing up a new thread, might be the time to do it with a fresh wipe and the possibility of a wave of new players and returning veterans?

Not me though, effort. Somebody should though.