Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I was extremely psyched to get a GPU from what i thought was someone speedhacking, but apparently this is normal, even on < 60 ping servers. Jesus christ, maybe i'll come back in a year.

https://streamable.com/n5lb7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Ice Fist posted:

I have like 300ish PMC raids this wipe and have yet to see a speed hacker like that (boy he is very bad at the game). Frankly I've only even suspected that I've died to a hacker just once.

Also coming back in a year probably won't help much. I wouldn't expect BSG to suddenly, over the course of a year, make the game hack proof or something.
Some likely dipshits on reddit (yeah, i know) are swearing up and down this is normal desync, they probably didn't know this is on helsinki servers from the UK. The weirdest part was that he was a scav, and had a loaded AK74 on his back but chose to do this with a 10rd 366 vepr.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Yeah, i didn't word it very clearly i guess. I doubt the devs are going to suddenly change their priorities, but stuff like that happening makes me feel like a dumbass for even caring about what happens in a game, maybe incremental improvements will happen to netcode/server stuff after the playercount firestorm has settled.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Yeah. I haven't seen it in tarkov communities, but people calling FPS drops 'lag' ('ugh this map always lags') is similar and it makes my brain itch every time

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
He also mentioned they're working on a 1911 and vector but said it in garbled half-russian so maybe 20% of watchers understood

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
:tinfoil: this is all officially sanctioned in order to level the playing field before the lv15 flea market change

nah just kidding it's completely expected for this kind of cheat to be possible in a game entirely about looting

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Ambaire posted:

Why the gently caress does the server not run sanity checks on looting/etc. The tarkov dev team don't seem to be experienced with dealing with hackers at all.. and the game is how old?
We can only guess wildly, but they seem like relatively inexperienced but enthusiastic devs making a lot of naive mistakes and are probably well behind in technical debt, so fixing this type of stuff, just like the server architecture, is a big interruption to regular running that they've been trying to implement with as little impact as possible.

It's really disheartening to see them put such glaring holes in the structure of their game though. It would have been a really stupendous coop or single player game with some changes, but it's going to sit in early access limbo for a long long time while they juggle popularity spikes, technical obligations and feature aims. I have some sympathy because anticheat at a certain level is probably a very deep subject with a lot of practical knowlege and experience involved in structuring a game, and they've probably been putting rails down just in front of the train, wallace and gromit style, for most of the 4 years, but holy poo poo, sometimes you really wonder. It can't have been super special wizard knowledge that i gained when playing half-life mods and talking to server admins and modders about the whys and hows of keeping certain key gameplay stuff server-side.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

NaanViolence posted:

It's a poo poo feature and should never come to SA.
Someone give this epic post 5 golden manbabies

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

hakimashou posted:

You can leave stuff in the system appreciation package mail indefinitely and it wont expire or go away. Its free storage for all that stuff until you actually want to use it.
whoops

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Ihmemies posted:

I finally got around to playing this game. I started as a scav to adjust settings, graphics, sensitivity etc.

I shot at every guy I saw, all 5 were scavs. I found a few items from a table inside a hut and took them. I hesitated with the last guy I saw so he got a few shots at me. Anyways I killed him and then 2 more guys came and killed me while my vision was blurry.

What am I supposed to do? Just shoot at everyone? Shoot only select people? Then I guess I need to haul rear end and somehow exit the zone alive before the red time reaches zero.
The discord will fill you in on stuff if you're asking or getting sherpa-ed, but you can waste a bunch of effort if you don't check wikis and guides - when you're new it's very useful to have a map in a browser window with marked exits, and to check the requirements for certain exits, which the game doesn't inform you of until you're standing right next to them. Don't bother trying to search for quest objects yourself, because the directions that the traders give you are outright jibberish most of the time and it's nice to not have to noisily shuffle around a bush somewhere looking for a key that is somewhere else entirely. You might want to do a few offline run-arounds on a few maps to get a sense of where exits and things are, too. You're generally given exits that are on the far side of the map from you, so it can help you get your bearings quicker on large maps.

edit: some other crap:
Ammo types are pretty important for dealing with armour, there are useful graphs out there for reference. Some ammo types are really expensive and worth keeping hold of just to sell, usually things with good armour piercing stats. The game doesn't actually tell you useful info about the ammo because of course it doesn't
Regardless of ammo type, if a player's limb took enough damage to reach 0 on the health tab, the damage that takes gets spread out to every other body part, and can lead to a kill - so if you've got lovely ammo or a really armoured enemy, spam at their unarmoured limbs
The health system is kind of weird but mostly logical outside of the above, but there are various important effects that have nonsensical icons that you need to get used to for quick reference. Some medpacks will heal bleeding for a portion of their total points. You can recover blacked-out limbs using an expensive Surv12 kit or cheaper CMS kit, but it takes a long time.
There are some guns that look exactly like a 7.62mm AK, but actually fire .366TKM, and use the same magazines. Don't get fooled by picking up an AK mag and assuming it's got the ammo you want in it. Also don't bother with .366TKM if you have other options, it's butthole fart garbage for piss goblins that like poo poo (a pretty bad rifle caliber but better than a pistol)

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 12, 2020

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
edit: So how much was this officially run incompetence and how much was twitch rivals staff incompetence? I don't follow twitch and streamer poo poo, but the shitshow has a real battlestate games feel to it

Wallrod fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 16, 2020

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

ChesterJT posted:

Sounds like all official if the Twitch people are to be believed. Given the dumb poo poo that comes out of battle state I find it completely believable.
Yeah, it has all the hallmarks. Poorly communicated, bad implementation, haphazard changes out of nowhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture

Mesadoram posted:

I wish I was talented enough to make a sketch of this.
whole new meaning to 'treasure chest'

flesh box with a fold-out metal prop like a car hood