Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

So I applied for SSI disability through my lawyer months ago, got all my medical records in and filled out the tons of bullshit jump through hoops paperwork, and after months of waiting for an approval they decide to send me to one of their own doctors for an examination which turned out to be a loving Pediatrician, with 90% of my "exam" done by a loving student nurse. I was in there less then ten minutes, and apparently they are gonna take some student nurse's opinion of my condition over my neurologist's professional opinion who has been helping me since July?

What the gently caress is wrong with this system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

MomJeans420 posted:

Living in Southern California means I have water storage containers for earthquakes, but being a typical native they're just sitting there empty. I should use this as an opportunity to sanitize them and fill them with water, but I spent last weekend at the beach and a brewery. I did get some more Mountain House meals for storage, but I'll bring those with me when I hang out in the mountains anyway so it's not wasted food (and they stay good for 30 years).

If you only drink beer you don't have to worry about dysentery.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Rhyno posted:

Look just pray for the virus to go away
"It's going to disappear. One day it's like a miracle, it will disappear," - the cheeto in charge

everdave posted:

We got hit with a F3 or F4 tornado last night came through Nashville then hit my town.
Glad to hear you're ok, was wondering how close to you that hit when I heard about it this morning.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

So I applied for SSI disability through my lawyer months ago, got all my medical records in and filled out the tons of bullshit jump through hoops paperwork, and after months of waiting for an approval they decide to send me to one of their own doctors for an examination which turned out to be a loving Pediatrician, with 90% of my "exam" done by a loving student nurse. I was in there less then ten minutes, and apparently they are gonna take some student nurse's opinion of my condition over my neurologist's professional opinion who has been helping me since July?
I'm almost at a month, three days short, waiting for doctors to fill out my long term disability paperwork so I can submit it and get paid. Transplant team wouldn't do it because if I'm back to work at all it's against their policy to fill out disability paperwork. GP would do all but the actual disability and restrictions page. Now I have to drive an hour each way so a sports medicine doctor can look me over and determine how many hours I can work and what restrictions I need in place.

Ran into Kroger to grab some prescriptions and saw the stockpiling people are doing. Two shopping carts completely full of canned food, carts completely full of just water, one cart full of bread with the other full of milk. We usually have a pretty good stockpile of canned stuff just from normal buying and changing our minds. Only thing I'm doing is stocking up on extra medications in case there's some delay or shortage.

Espresso talk, we picked up a nespresso mini and love it. Stupid simple and makes good enough stuff for us. I feel bad about all the waste so most days if I remember I'll load up a few reusable cups with regular coffee and do a double shot. Probably need to descale the thing one of these days. We only make a pot of coffee maybe once a month anymore.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

:siren: Guys, we have a problem. :siren:

As you may have noticed, there are two chat threads currently open. This has caused a great disruption and this is exactly what Russia wants. But we're on to their scheme. Did they really think that we wouldn't notice the fact that one thread has a Cycles tag and the other has a Cars tag? It's clear how this will go down. The cycles people must squash the cars people. You know what to do.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

builds character posted:

Ironically, I bought myself a 12 pack of Corona. Which was about 30% off, because people are idiots.

I usually have enough stuff floating about to last a couple of weeks if I really needed to, but I can't say I'm expecting things to descend into some kind of apocalypse.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

InitialDave posted:

I usually have enough stuff floating about to last a couple of weeks if I really needed to, but I can't say I'm expecting things to descend into some kind of apocalypse.

Even if what you're seeing is an overreaction, it's still a reaction. I just keep going back to New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina -- it only took about 3 days without services and utilities to fully devolve into chaos.

We're not nearly as ready for disruption as we think we are.

I'll be stocking up on Bota Boxes. If it all goes down, I don't want to get caught drinking swill beer, I'll get caught drinking box wine.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

meatpimp posted:

:siren: Guys, we have a problem. :siren:

As you may have noticed, there are two chat threads currently open. This has caused a great disruption and this is exactly what Russia wants. But we're on to their scheme. Did they really think that we wouldn't notice the fact that one thread has a Cycles tag and the other has a Cars tag? It's clear how this will go down. The cycles people must squash the cars people. You know what to do.

I'm here for the bieks.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meatpimp posted:

I'll be stocking up on Bota Boxes. If it all goes down, I don't want to get caught drinking swill beer, I'll get caught drinking box wine.
It's called cardbordeaux

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm here for the bieks.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm here for the cars.

:thunk:

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I'm basically out of food and apparently my city has someone with covid-19 so I'm guessing grocery shopping after work today will be extra extra fun. I'm just going to skip Costco all together.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

InitialDave posted:

It's called goon

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

I think they just deny SSDI claims the first time you apply for the most part. Your lawyer probably knows its a run around and takes years of appeals to actually get approved and start receiving checks. Good luck.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

The Door Frame posted:

Do people normally have water storage on hand? It's not a bad idea, but I'd be more worried about running out of booze

I think most people in Los Angeles don't, but you're really supposed to because our biggest threat in terms of natural disasters is earthquakes (or maybe forest fires first), which you don't have time to prepare for AND may break the water mains in a big enough earthquake. Food is nice and all, but if it's 100+ degrees in the summer and you don't have running water, it's going to suck.

builds character posted:

Thankfully I'm good in that department, although if I'm hydrating with magnums of a sour beer, I'll probably get an ulcer or some other stomach issue.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

cursedshitbox posted:

That it is. People are poo poo too.

I'm in Solano county and loving lol @ the idiot horde. I'm not doing poo poo about it, Incoming fire season is the one to worry about.

Insurance auctions, find a buddy with a license, or obtain your own, buy a leaf for under 2k and gut the fucker. secondarily, figure out a way to add a plate cooler to the battery stack. they don't have thermal management and yeaaaaah.

i wanna take a leaf/volt and graft it into a baja bug, i totally get it.

I'd love to stuff an EV drivetrain into one of my (many) derelict RX-7s. A FWD or Tesla transaxle would require massive mods, since the first-gen RX-7s I have are live axle, so it's a bit more complicated. Second gens have IRS, so could start with one of those, but I *have* the first gens, and like them better...
There's an EV guy in Britain working with one of the Lexus hybrid RWD transmissions - the motor is built into the automatic transmission. If he (or others) succeeds in reverse engineering those, and comes up with a controller, that could be neat.

Well, how else are they going to deny you repeatedly and wear you down so you'll accept less money.
Yes, it's terrible that our own government benefits are run like a for-profit insurance company.
We're just starting the process to get my daughter covered under Social Security disability for being on the spectrum (it's doubtful that she'll ever hold a "normal" job if it involved, you know, other people.) We've been advised that it will take months if not years, and we will be denied the first time pretty much guaranteed.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

A friend of mine got a lawyer for SSDI and it took 6 years which sucked but the cool part was the back pay comes all at once

Has anyone gotten "Detroit Axle" brake parts? Holy hell they loving stink so bad and are stinking up my shop wtf

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Galler posted:

I'm basically out of food and apparently my city has someone with covid-19 so I'm guessing grocery shopping after work today will be extra extra fun. I'm just going to skip Costco all together.

I realized last night that I'm down to my last roll of toilet paper.

Not looking forward to this.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

shy boy from chess club posted:

A friend of mine got a lawyer for SSDI and it took 6 years which sucked but the cool part was the back pay comes all at once

Has anyone gotten "Detroit Axle" brake parts? Holy hell they loving stink so bad and are stinking up my shop wtf

Don't get Detroit Axle anything. It's absolutely the worst Chinesium they can buy and slap their brand on. It's better to order from AliExpress for 2/3 the price and at least get the same part cheaper.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Huh. NASCAR is actually changing form the 15" steel 5-lug wheels to 18" BBS alloys with center locks in 2012.
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/news/bbs-wheels-chosen-next-generation-stock-cars/

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I just got told off by our work safety guy.

One of our keepers came and asked us in maintenance if there was a solvent that would dissolve silicone sealant. I flippantly suggested ClF3...

Apparently he went to the work safety guy, who’s also our vet, to ask if it was safe to use on frog tanks to not hurt the frogs and he looked up the SDS for it.

I’m apparently no longer allowed to suggest chemicals that set asbestos on fire as solutions to coworker problems!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Darchangel posted:

Huh. NASCAR is actually changing form the 15" steel 5-lug wheels to 18" BBS alloys with center locks in 2012.
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/news/bbs-wheels-chosen-next-generation-stock-cars/

So 8 years ago?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

^^^^ LOL

Darchangel posted:

Huh. NASCAR is actually changing form the 15" steel 5-lug wheels to 18" BBS alloys with center locks in 2012 2021.

That's gonna change the way the cars drive big time. Kinda surprised at this, first fuel injection now 18" alloy wheels, NASCAR is actually trying to come out of the dark ages.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

meatpimp posted:

Don't get Detroit Axle anything. It's absolutely the worst Chinesium they can buy and slap their brand on. It's better to order from AliExpress for 2/3 the price and at least get the same part cheaper.

Its for a car Im selling, 4 rotors, all the pads plus a bottle of brake fluid and a can of brake cleaner for $100 shipped lol

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
My Detroit Axle steering rack for the CR-V looked to be a reman OEM... hasn't blown up yet but now I'm all :tinfoil:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Just a reminder of my Avalon with 4 brand new Detroit Axle struts. :laugh:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Haha god drat, it now has the load capacity of a 1/2 ton truck

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Beach Bum posted:

My Detroit Axle steering rack for the CR-V looked to be a reman OEM... hasn't blown up yet but now I'm all :tinfoil:

Better than the poo poo rack I got from ebay. Soon as I got on the highway last week it starting pissing everywhere leaving a smoke cloud in my wake. I had to turn around and bypass the pump and rack so I could get to Boston. That made the parking garage REAL fun. Luckily I hadnt sent mine back yet so Im just going to rebuild it myself or just rage buy a brand new one

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
dont buy garbage parts off ebay the gently caress guys yall know better

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

T-Square posted:

I've always thought it would be really cool to have an actual espresso machine except that they're expensive as gently caress. I have a Mr. Coffee thing that's like $160, my sister won it in a raffle at work and gave it to my mom, and my mom didn't want it so she gave it to me. I used it a few times and it makes decent espresso/lattes/cappuccinos if you use it right but that shits too much work in the morning so it just takes up space on my counter and collects dust :v:

It's expensive as gently caress and you go through half a bag of beans trying to dial the grind in before you get a decent cup out.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

meltie posted:

It's expensive as gently caress and you go through half a bag of beans trying to dial the grind in before you get a decent cup out.

I couldn't resist stitching these two together :mmmhmm:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I was in the middle of watching a TV series on Amazon Prime, and all of a sudden now I have to rent episodes for 99 cents or buy the entire season!

Amazon can eat a dick

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Galler posted:

False alarm. If anything there were fewer people at Fred Meyer/Kroger than usual and I didn't see anyone panic buying. Maybe people panicked this morning and the shelves got all fixed up by the evening rush.

Kazinsal posted:

I guess having a bidet could be considered disaster prep. At least until the water runs out.

Galler fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 4, 2020

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

First time I've had a problem with eBay parts and I've been buying them for 20 years. I usually know what to look for or if it's cheap enough I'll take the chance and if it sucks it's on me. Steering rack rear end in a top hat had thousands of good feedbacks but of course the few bad ones were my exact issue so my fault for not doing my due diligence.

Oh yea I did have the bent Subaru flywheel but they sent me a new one without even sending the old one back

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

So the problem with SSI and most government programs in the US is we're so worried about fraud and people getting one over on us, that we make it almost impossible for people who need benefits to get benefits. It is extremely hosed up and honestly afraid is 0.1% of the costs. We'd be better off letting people get help when they need it and slapping anyone who commits fraud with jail after the facts. The system is really rigged against people with some MH issues because they system is seemly designed to be unnavigable with certain MH issues.
Almost everyone gets rejected the first time. Some blind people get rejected the first time. Keep fighting.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Kazinsal posted:

I mean, I can't speak for your local stores, but we had over 10 pallets of toilet paper (still on the pallets) last night, with probably another 6 pallet displays, and at least 8-10 pallets worth on the shelves. Bottled water and canned goods (beans in particular), soups, ramen... won't stay on the shelf right now. And we've had to put a limit on how much hand sanitizer, disinfecting wipes, bleach, etc people can buy.

I had to do canned last night, and it suuuuuuuuuuuucked. There were 2 of us, but the other guy ducked out when he got halfway done with his side of the aisle. :fuckoff:

meatpimp posted:

Just a reminder of my Avalon with 4 brand new Detroit Axle struts. :laugh:

Is it in heat?

Galler posted:

The CDC released someone who later tested positive in San Antonio... which is only a bit over an hour away. The grocery store I work for has their HQ (and some distribution centers) in San Antonio too (some of our stuff comes from there). We're still getting raided.

So loving happy I'm off tonight, I checked earlier and we have a huuuuuuuuuuge truck (well, 3 trucks, vs our normal 1 truck for a weeknight). I was told it's mostly water though, which for the most part goes straight to the floor on the pallet. I went in earlier to buy beer and dinner, overnight manager saw me and said "hey wanna work tonight?". Me: :laffo:. I like overtime, but I like my 2 days off in a row more (you don't get that unless they really like you), and I was already at 20 hours when I clocked out this morning. I'll probably hit 50 this week, or come really close.

The Door Frame posted:

Do people normally have water storage on hand? It's not a bad idea, but I'd be more worried about running out of booze

I'd be more concerned about booze too. :v: Total Wine & More seems pretty well prepared though. :haw:

I keep a couple of those 2.5 gallon jugs of water handy, but that's more in case a storm knocks out power badly enough that pumping stations get affected. Kind of a holdover from living in tornado alley I guess, though I'm close enough to the outskirts of Austin that wildfires are a concern (... which can also knock out power, and take out pump stations). Still have a weather radio, which used to go apeshit in spring and fall in DFW... I think it's gone off half a dozen times since I moved here nearly 2 years ago. There's no outdoor emergency warning siren system here, which freaked me out at first - but so far the worst storm I've experienced here doesn't hold a candle to what I experienced in DFW (it was a good storm, and I was caught driving on a dark road in it, but I just pulled over for a bit when it got bad enough that I couldn't see)

everdave posted:

We got hit with a F3 or F4 tornado last night came through Nashville then hit my town.

My house and family is fine, cars at my house are fine.

Glad you're okay man, I was worried when I heard about that.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Mar 4, 2020

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

The Door Frame posted:

I'm going to have to sell my Capri soon, and I have no idea how that'll go. It's a super niche car in not the best condition, but it's so unique that some weirdo like me might snatch it up. Right?

OK which Capri are we talking here?

Or

I know in my heart it's the second :(

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Humphreys posted:

OK which Capri are we talking here?

Or

I know in my heart it's the second :(

Both were objectively such bad cars. Just one was along the lines of it's day bad, the other was the worst car Australia ever made. At least the original Capri makes for a good Barra swap

loving hell people are so goddamn stupid. Actual fights breaking out for toilet paper and stores beign bought out of it. Just. Goddamn DUMB.

DO NOT, MY FRIENDS, BECOME ADDICTED TO ANAL HYGIENE

IT WILL TAKE HOLD OF YOU AND YOU WILL RESENT ITS ABSENCE

(Shamelessly nicked)

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I'm already well stocked on Dude Wipes, thank you very much.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

(Shamelessly nicked)
It has not taken hold of numerous people on our shop floor, and I definitely resent its absence.

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Both were objectively such bad cars. Just one was along the lines of it's day bad, the other was the worst car Australia ever made. At least the original Capri makes for a good Barra swap

loving hell people are so goddamn stupid. Actual fights breaking out for toilet paper and stores beign bought out of it. Just. Goddamn DUMB.

(Shamelessly nicked)

And here I am being a dickhead on FB telling people to just poo poo in the shower and waffle-stomp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I do that anyway. Makes cleaning my rear end afterwards so much easier.