Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clamcake
Dec 24, 2012
Speaking of Cellini’s ego-disguised-as-selflessness, I think it's hilarious and totally in line with his personality that the way he finds religion and takes comfort in his situation at the end of Part 1 is to compare his imprisonment and coming execution to Jesus's.

quote:

Christ, the glorious and divine, elects me to the company of His disciples and friends, who, like Himself, were condemned to die unjustly. I too am sentenced to an unjust death, and I thank God with humility for this sign of grace.

And

quote:

“Oh, just God, Thou paidest all our debts upon that high-raised cross of Thine; wherefore then must my innocence be made to pay the debts of whom I do not even know? Nevertheless, Thy will be done.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clamcake
Dec 24, 2012
I just finished the book, and definitely identify with Walton's Tor article. Through the book Cellini brags about utterly reprehensible behavior by today's standards, but when I look at his art, I have to think that his awfulness as a human is matched by his totally awesome skill and talent in art.

Just when I'm completely disgusted by his whole Caterina story, he goes into the next story of how to finish his statue of Perseus and Medusa, he had to get up from what he thought was his deathbed, restoke his furnace, and salvage his ruined bronze all in a workshop that's partially ON FIRE because a storm blew flames from the furnace into the roof. It's larger than life and insane.

Cellini was clearly a menace, but if even just half of what he writes is true, I can kind of see how he was able to get away with it in that social world.