Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Any opinions on the translations? I would assume the modern one is preferable, but better safe than sorry.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Mar 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I like the way Cellini's smug style apparently managed to rub off on the annotations so we get footnotes like this:

quote:

Posterity has confirmed Cellini's opinion on Bandinello as an artist; for his works are coarse, pretentious and incapable of giving pleasure to any person of refined intelligence.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Mar 4, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
"I was visiting my friend and went for a ride when a bunch of pirates appeared and chased me to the top of a ravine but my pony, which by the way was the size of a bear, did a TOTALLY SWEET JUMP over it and the pirates were so amazed they ran for their ship and took off".

I wish I had any idea of when he's recounting and when he's bullshitting. It feels that by the time he was writing, Cellini was firmly convinced his only problem was being too awesome.

e:

Benvenuto Cellini posted:

In my enthusiasm I strove to achieve the impossible; let it suffice to say that it was I who saved the castle that morning.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 6, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

So much of this book is about artwork that it's really worthwhile to hunt down photos of the works in question; the problem is most of the editions I've seen aren't illustrated or are only sparsely so, so we have to do that work ourselves.
No kidding. Turns out I have actually seen a Cellini piece before and never made the connection. You can find this beauty in the art history museum in Vienna:

...And it honestly feels like desecration to think of someone actually putting salt in it.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 7, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It works both ways: his descriptions of the stuff he made, while mostly matter-of-fact (with an obligatory "it was the most remarkable objects of its kind in Rome/Florenze/Mantua" or three), really make you wish to actually see the pieces. Especially ones that didn't survive, like the Atlas medal he so lovingly describes in the early parts of the book.

Philthy posted:

He writes himself as entirely selfless but he is so loving smug when he wins a challenge.
The discrepancy becomes really obvious when he writes about his first murder and focuses almost entirely on how the need to avenge his brother gnawed on his mind (before) and how he felt a lot better and the Pope was OK with it anyway (after). The victim just isn't there, most important thing about the whole affair is that Cellini can get back to making shinies for the glory of Rome, because he is such a selfless guy.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Mar 9, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
And then there's the part when he's exiled from Rome after applying a rock to someone's head and blames it all on the demons he summoned the other night.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 13, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
That or most of the people (haven't finished the book yet but it seems so about halway through) move in similar circles as he does so they don't want to piss off his patrons.
I mean, if you're working for a di Medici and the di Medici run the city guard, it's rather unlikely you get called out on public disorder and violence.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Mar 13, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, this basically sums up my feelings on it as well.
Some more plebeian thoughts: I'm amazed how much fun a 16th century book of this length was. The man's life was crazy, the way he tells it is crazy and it is written in a surprisingly likeable manner and I found myself nodding along with Cellini and agreeing with his excuses - until the next unapologetically horrible thing commited, that is. At the same time, I think I would have given up on reading if he wasn't such a smug bastard, as his justifications for his acts are some of the most entertaining parts of the book (it was the demons!).

All in all, I'm really glad I read this book and have already recommended it a couple of people.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Mar 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
You can add that to the considerable list of Cellini's achievements: pulled one over the Batman.

Anyway, I assume we've already done Blindness?