Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
The first copy I found was Symonds.

I was trying to find an online book club and just about died that SA’s March book was V.

Last year. :negative:

So toxxx me if I don’t report back on this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

clamcake posted:

I just finished the book, and definitely identify with Walton's Tor article. Through the book Cellini brags about utterly reprehensible behavior by today's standards, but when I look at his art, I have to think that his awfulness as a human is matched by his totally awesome skill and talent in art.

Just when I'm completely disgusted by his whole Caterina story, he goes into the next story of how to finish his statue of Perseus and Medusa, he had to get up from what he thought was his deathbed, restoke his furnace, and salvage his ruined bronze all in a workshop that's partially ON FIRE because a storm blew flames from the furnace into the roof. It's larger than life and insane.

Cellini was clearly a menace, but if even just half of what he writes is true, I can kind of see how he was able to get away with it in that social world.

Thread title &c