Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The original one from years ago is a tough watch, but if they have the Xmas special from last year it’s a bunch better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Tech bros again deliver a good build. Some teams did really well, especially considering only 8 hours to work on it.

I was shocked the duffel bag was in the top 2. It thought it was the third worst. Every bit as blocky as last place. The mom's with the teal "weaving" thing was much better.

Last place was way off the prompt. That's not a fashion accessory it's a rolling cooler.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
The Pitch Boys are so annoying but damned if their purse wasn't good. Will Arnett was in rare form that ep, he makes for a good diva

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The shark was the only cool build.

I felt bad for Emily and Kelly apparently only getting a pile of flat plates out of the original pile. But then again, the banana and pontoon boat weren't boxes. You could probably fake your way through this challenge by cribbing the figures of some of the original builds. Like you know you can make the shape of the two pontoon floats out of what you got. I dunno, all the builds but the shark builds were too boxy, and none of the original cars were boxy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lmao the constant screaming “CHRISTOPHER!!!!!” was extremely funny. this was a good week for the moms, I’m glad they didn’t end up going out. really didn’t expect the siblings to make it this far at the start of the season, enjoyed their glow-up a bunch.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
No real surprises in this episode. The tech bros are truly annoying but they definitely make some good builds. Luis and Alex kept hearing "your build is really tall, everyone else has built lower, this is very top heavy" and their response was to ignore that advice and just say "We'll drive carefully." The people who ignore the judges usually end up going home. Like the one piece of advice I'd give to someone going on this show is "if the judges say they are concerned about something and give a suggestion, drop everything and do that suggestion to fix their concern." If only to not have that be a reason why they pan your build.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
They could have channeled their inner Karen and once he tried to hit them cut him off and take them both out

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Escobarbarian posted:

really didn’t expect the siblings to make it this far at the start of the season, enjoyed their glow-up a bunch.
They're awesome, one of my favorite sibling teams they've had. Their personalities are so different but complementary. And they aren't S-tier but they are very very good builders.

And yeah, the shark really stood out above all the other cars, and with a clear and badass concept it was also pretty clearly the most appropriate one to be added to a game. (And although he did exploit the pole position it seemed like Christopher is really good at RC cars.) I feel like the whole setup of the episode was a recipe for some disappointing builds, but the race itself was fun.

I feel like this is the first time they ever didn't do a top 2. They were just like "gently caress y'all, let's not kid ourselves here." I mean even when they were just evaluating the cars before the race it was clear C&R were winning that one.

Misunderstood fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 19, 2023

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Paul & Nealita have me thinking back to David & Gus from AU. Those guys were amazing, unless the challenge was minifig scale or mechanical. And I feel like that's true of P&N, and this season was frontloaded with minifig and movement, but the last couple episodes that have been more sculptural they're finally able to show what got them here. Or maybe just plain getting better at a visible pace. But hard agree, I had them as gone by now, but at this point, I think they're going to be 3rd place behind Sam & Nena or the VC Bros and yeah it's painfully obvious there's an exec off stage gesticulating to ham it up and I blame them the most, but they're still going along with it.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'm a little behind this season but lol that the music woman had to give her partner the child legs on her minifig

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I had Paul and Nealita going home during judging until I remembered that the loving croquete existed.

Misunderstood posted:

I feel like this is the first time they ever didn't do a top 2. They were just like "gently caress y'all, let's not kid ourselves here." I mean even when they were just evaluating the cars before the race it was clear C&R were winning that one.

It was just so obvious that they won. They had Best aesthetics and they won the race handily. There's no way to argue that anyone else won. I also feel like there was a clear loser and they only put the bumble bee car in there to not make Alex and Luis feel bad.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like Christopher and Robert started the season a little slow but they are now demonstrating the wisdom of always putting your money on the biggest nerds to make the finals.

I know Christopher's "villainy" is mostly a joke but I wonder if the earnest references to his mom and stuff were emphasized in editing to start rehabilitating him so viewers can enjoy an eventual victory.

e: Christopher and Robert, not Robin, this ain't Winnie the Pooh

Misunderstood fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 20, 2023

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

ruddiger posted:

The Australian Lego masters eps are on tubi, but they only have the first four seasons.

They have 4 now? Used to only be the first 3....

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Misunderstood posted:

I feel like Christopher and Robin started the season a little slow but they are now demonstrating the wisdom of always putting your money on the biggest nerds to make the finals.

It's very strange to hear they'd barely done custom builds before the competition. The show's lucky they're quick on the uptake, because otherwise Sam and Neera would just be boringly running away with this.

Seems like the moms are most likely to get the axe before the finale. They have the chops to steal it from Paul and Nealita, or be in position to capitalize on a disaster from tech bros or Sam/Neera, though.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Habibi posted:

They have 4 now? Used to only be the first 3....

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It is crazy that Christopher and Robert were the only ones who made something you could expect to see in earlier seasons. Everyone else is kind of bad. Makes me nervous about who is left in the pool of Lego builders for further seasons. It's been said before, but I'd be pissed if I made it deep into season 1 or 2 but lost and then saw what these teams are doing. I think they maybe need to do a redemption season of previous losers who can give it another go.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

It's not a talent pool problem. It is an executive fuckery problem. Australia hasn't had a problem and they're even further into their pool, which is less than a tenth of the size.

Listen for it, but Will and judges keep talking about Lego Masters not as a competition, but as a reality show. That's how they think about it. They don't give a gently caress about Lego, it's a medium for drama to them.

The opening segment of episode 6, the detective room, listen to that. It's just a reality show, for entertaining people.

AU LM conversely makes the lego builds the stars of the show. It's also painfully apparent in the cinematography of the builds.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 20, 2023

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, the show is, of course, also a giant advertisement, which they made even less subtle in the last episode by talking about the drat racing game constantly, and building the entire (not great) challenge around it.

Even if there's not a talent pool problem, I'd love to see some former teams come back. I mean, why not? Can Season 2's Reddit Bros beat Season 1's weird fundie pod people?

(Maybe I'm being too hard on Tyler and Amy. The only one of those things I'm sure about is that they were weird.)

Misunderstood fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 21, 2023

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Misunderstood posted:

(Maybe I'm being too hard on Tyler and Amy. The only one of those things I'm sure about is that they were weird.)

Big Mormon energy from those two.

I assume Lego is big with the Mormons, along with any other hobby that can let them sublimate every urge they have.

Edit: Quick googling tells me they're actually Presbyterians

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Nov 21, 2023

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

Big Mormon energy from those two.

I assume Lego is big with the Mormons, along with any other hobby that can let them sublimate every urge they have.

Edit: Quick googling tells me they're actually Presbyterians

I remember season 1 or 2 had a team whose theme was clearly “Mormon moms” but I guess they thought it would be indelicate to just say that so they were “Utah moms”.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Shame. Mormoms was right there

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Escobarbarian posted:

Shame. Mormoms was right there

Mormom was right there.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Mormomma so pious she thinks coffee should be schedule I

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rollercoasters!

Moms going for a “kid-friendly” rollercoaster at a time when they need to be more daring seems like they’re gonna be going out this season.

Oh ok yeah they don’t know how to use this stuff lol, RIP the moms unless another team really screws up.

So funny to see teams have ambitious ideas and then Jamie come in and be like “yeah we tried that for ages at HQ and couldn’t get it to work”

Hope the teams are leaving enough time for the details at the end too. We’re seeing very little from the siblings so far so they’re probably safe oh no here we have their drama part.

Legit not sure who’s going home now! Could be some shock twists if any of the coasters don’t work.

Tech bros has a great coaster design but no body for the dragon is meh. So pleased they got their lift to work! Moms definitely have the best theme work, it’s a nice concept and design even if it isn’t really ambitious enough for this point in the season. Siblings, the theme isn’t really presented very well at all and it looks very plain but the coaster is really good and the two cars look great together. Kraken looks great on Neena and Sam’s, good theme work but the coaster, while solid, isn’t as ambitious as the tech bros or siblings. Love the moving water.

Tech bros getting the win three weeks in a row! Their coaster is so sick, do wish they’d had more time for the theming though. I think moms are going home because of the specifics of the challenge but I have no idea who I’d pick. Yeah there we go. Moms were a fun team but not skilled enough in all facets of building for this point in the competition. Cool that one of them has a picture at LEGO HQ though!

Very enjoyable episode imo even if it was light on Will antics. Interesting to have no idea what the theme for the finale is gonna be too.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if this is the showcase for the roller coaster tech that Lego wants. You got 4 teams who know Lego building really well and they're all like "Wow, this is really finicky and hard to use" and the guy who designed the Lego roller coaster kits is on here and he's going "Yeah, this poo poo was super hard to design. It's really finicky."

I liked the Midwesterners dual coaster being able to run two cars at once, and it looked like it would have kept going for a while without them getting off-sync. I feel like they barely scraped into the finals by the skin of their teeth by having essentially no theming at all.

The tech bros' completely different lift motion was cool. It seemed like Jamie was jealous of it because it's obvious the chain lift kit that's the Lego standard he set looks like it'd pretty iffy and hard to use.

I am a bit annoyed honestly though that it seemed like everyone else's build was judged by "can it keep going?" and it did not seem like tech bros' build could. Felt like Christopher kinda blew past it by saying they were set to disembark and board new passengers, but everyone else's coasters were judged on if it would re-engage with the chains at the end and start the loop anew. And that's the standard that makes sense. Lego coasters should just run endlessly.

The shaking water under Sam and Neena's was such a good idea for a minor detail.

The moms' theme was good, but I dunno if the theme is really all you've got going for you it better be the best one there, and the Kraken was better.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

I liked the Midwesterners dual coaster being able to run two cars at once, and it looked like it would have kept going for a while without them getting off-sync. I feel like they barely scraped into the finals by the skin of their teeth by having essentially no theming at all.

Feels like they usually just manage to make it in, while Neena & Sam and the tech bros have been dominant all season.

The fairy tale ending would be to have Neena & Sam and the tech bros try to outdo each other, to their own detriments, and the siblings waltz their way to an easy win.

While they didn't explicitly say the theme for the finale, they did tease it with some clips and it seems to be some sort of mega build.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Jehde posted:

Feels like they usually just manage to make it in, while Neena & Sam and the tech bros have been dominant all season.

The fairy tale ending would be to have Neena & Sam and the tech bros try to outdo each other, to their own detriments, and the siblings waltz their way to an easy win.

While they didn't explicitly say the theme for the finale, they did tease it with some clips and it seems to be some sort of mega build.

The finale does offer a lot more time for the build (24 hours) so it's possible without the time constraints the Midwest team might flourish.

That said, usually, there's a team limping into the finale, and usually, they do a lot better than normal but don't reach the heights of the other teams. I agree it's very likely to be a 2-team contest.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the siblings should have gone home. I think they would have if the moms would have put one loop in their coaster. Sam and Neena should have won. They had a technical coaster and a great theme and it kept going. Like PostNouveau said, I feel like the techbros' coaster wasn't judged to the same standard. it's possibly because Christopher spent 7 hours (wtf?) trying to make the spiral work that they didn't see that everyone else was making sure their coaster could run endlessly. But it also seems like they realized their coaster couldn't keep going because they added those wheels to move the train to the station and then stopped it. No one else had the most motors of any build just to get their coaster train to keep going. I also wouldn't want to ride on their coaster. No one wants to spend a few minutes spiraling up a tower at the start of a ride.

My top two was Sam and Neena and the moms, with Sam and Neena winning. Techbros and the siblings in the bottom two with the siblings going home. Also, I wonder if this was more editing trickery, because all the tech bros had at the 1 hour left mark was the coaster and the cloud. Then they had a bunch of stuff added at the end.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Techbros deserve points for the spiral lift at the beginning, but I don't understand how they got a pass for the car stopping at the station. Like I expected them to at least get criticism for that part, but they got nothing but praise. And the wheels to nudge the car along just felt against the spirit of the challenge. Maybe I'm biased against them but it felt like they got credit for the spiral lift and everything else was excused based on the strength of that.

The moms actually themed their coaster. Yeah they didn't have a loop, who cares, the siblings had that but basically just presented two lengths of track with minimal theming.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
At the end of the cycle Christopher said something like it was "parked and ready to go again" or something - I got the impression there was a locking/gate docking mechanism so that the cart would stop and could be restarted again with a remote button press (like he used to start the coaster), rather than cycling automatically. (Maybe if it ran automatically it would be in danger of colliding with the spinning pillar at an inopportune moment and getting knocked off the track?)

Not sure though - you'd think they would've shown it if it was the case, because it's a cool idea. Considering they had come up with the system to propel the carts with the wheels on the side it seems like they should've been able to manage it, but maybe they didn't have time.

I thought their coaster was the best from the standpoint of, it looked like it would be fuckin' wild to ride it. Neena and Sam's looked a bit more conventional. In any case, at the point when Jamie said "uhh, I don't think you can do that" and they did anyway, there was no way they weren't winning.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

A Fancy Hat posted:

Techbros deserve points for the spiral lift at the beginning, but I don't understand how they got a pass for the car stopping at the station. Like I expected them to at least get criticism for that part, but they got nothing but praise. And the wheels to nudge the car along just felt against the spirit of the challenge. Maybe I'm biased against them but it felt like they got credit for the spiral lift and everything else was excused based on the strength of that.

The fact that their car stopping wasn't remarked upon, makes me think there was some issue with the time they recorded it actually working, and weren't able to replicate? Agreed, though, it was a little weird.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Golbez posted:

The fact that their car stopping wasn't remarked upon, makes me think there was some issue with the time they recorded it actually working, and weren't able to replicate? Agreed, though, it was a little weird.

Maybe.

Also it's an edited reality show. We probably don't get to see half the full judges comments. Quite possibly, it was remarked on and left on the cutting room floor. Usually, the top two teams have zero negatives in the critique shown.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They seriously decided to do a clip show?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Incredibly lame. I had low expectations for LMUS, but this is the absolute nadir of the series. Going to tell the family it was an off week, because I'm not loving watching this.

I guess this is because Ben & Poppy dropped out, but shows staggering executive and production incompetence. Which is pretty standard for Fox, come to think of it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok so skip this week? Thanks for the heads-up, thread.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Been watching some AU LM, and it's definitely better, like you all said. I love Will Arnett but Hamish is good too, and seems a lot more actively involved. But the main difference is just that they spend a lot more time focusing on the creative process and building techniques, and they're not afraid to follow a specific team for 5 or 10 minutes, when an American reality show editor would frantically start looking for a new storyline after 45 seconds.

Some cool teams. I like that on the proto-Liam and Emily team (which in AU is actually with his grandma, which is even cuter) the kid is also named Liam. Bilsy and Kale have extreme "disney movie henchmen" energy. The machinist guys have preternatural precision and hand control. The designer girls' aesthetic sense is amazing.

A two hour premiere to spend a good chunk of time with every team is also a great idea.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And S1 of the AU is probably the weakest season too (still great, don’t get me wrong… just better stuff is ahead).

I still can’t watch the US one. Hamish has spoiled us, he and Brickman are so great.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
loving clip show? Seriously? Just have another non-elimination week.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Escobarbarian posted:

Ok so skip this week? Thanks for the heads-up, thread.

Us is 100 clips. We skipped it tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

PostNouveau posted:

loving clip show? Seriously? Just have another non-elimination week.

Considering the big hook is "making your own set" which is antithetical to what we expect in the final I don't know why they didn't drag both builds into their own episodes