Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think the final will be between beard guys and newlyweds. The techbros (why are we calling them techbros? One is in the army, I only used it because it's easier than their real team name) keep stumbling with themes that are anything other than generic things you'd expect to see at a lego convention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
You never know, one of the misfits might have a weird background in structural engineering or racecar design.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The gay couple have been pretty strong the last couple weeks they could get into the finals as well.

Really I think the eccentrics and bricksters are going to be the next two out and then the winners of the remaining four will just depend on the themes.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Cojawfee posted:

I think the final will be between beard guys and newlyweds. The techbros (why are we calling them techbros? One is in the army, I only used it because it's easier than their real team name) keep stumbling with themes that are anything other than generic things you'd expect to see at a lego convention.

No idea. Someone else used the term so I just went with it.

But the guy w/ the glasses appears to be head and shoulders above everyone else there. I think they will win because of this.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

It's really anyone's game at this point. While I don't expect the Bricksters or the misfits to win, it all really depends on the challenges and how well they adapt to them. I'm rooting for the thespians tho cuz they're adorable.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Were Mel and Jermaine the same guys who aped the baby design and the octopus designs from their build neighbor in previous eps? If so I’m surprised they didn’t get called out again this episode since their (empty) glass skyscraper was clearly “inspired” by Aaron and his brother’s build.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Yes to the baby and tower, I don't recall their octopus though.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

PowerBeard posted:

I believe they had the Rocktopus after someone else was building an octopus for their design on the half and half challenge

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The octopi were in the split object challenge. The married couple did an octopus coming out of the split divers helmet and noticed the other team was building an octopus playing the split guitar.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

ruddiger posted:

The octopi were in the split object challenge. The married couple did an octopus coming out of the split divers helmet and noticed the other team was building an octopus playing the split guitar.

Not quite, they had the telescope. They merely noted that the rocktopus used very similar tentacles to the build they did for the drop contest.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It was pretty dumb to claim "building towers is what I do, I'm gonna make the biggest tower here" and then it was nothing but empty floors with a minifigure on a few of them. It's especially bad when the other two guys had their tower get half destroyed, finished rebuilding some of it at the last second and then it still looks nicer. The divers helmet was the superman whatever team. Now that it's been pointed out, it does seem pretty obvious that Mel and Jermaine were straight up copying ideas from other teams. Sometimes it has worked out, like Rocktopus, but sometimes it really flops like when they copied the baby and when they made that tower.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Cojawfee posted:

It was pretty dumb to claim "building towers is what I do, I'm gonna make the biggest tower here" and then it was nothing but empty floors with a minifigure on a few of them. It's especially bad when the other two guys had their tower get half destroyed, finished rebuilding some of it at the last second and then it still looks nicer. The divers helmet was the superman whatever team. Now that it's been pointed out, it does seem pretty obvious that Mel and Jermaine were straight up copying ideas from other teams. Sometimes it has worked out, like Rocktopus, but sometimes it really flops like when they copied the baby and when they made that tower.

Yeah...it wouldn't surprise me if they're the next ones to go home

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I don't think they'll be leaving next time if it's a structural challenge, cause I think the artists might be going home unless they pull something impressive out of the bag.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is next week both slot car racing and a weight on a bridge challenge?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

PowerBeard posted:

I was only half paying attention to the episode at the time, but wasn't it the Newlyweds who got called out for also having a baby in their build after Mel and Jermaine had one, even though they built theirs first?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Cojawfee posted:

Is next week both slot car racing and a weight on a bridge challenge?

Looks like it

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Nth Doctor posted:

I was only half paying attention to the episode at the time, but wasn't it the Newlyweds who got called out for also having a baby in their build after Mel and Jermaine had one, even though they built theirs first?

No, it was the other way around because Mel and Jermaine added the baby after the twist, and the newlyweds had it from the start.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The newlyweds were judged after Mel and Jermaine. I think the judges mentioned seeing a baby again despite the fact that the judges are there for the whole build and knew they had the baby first.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
The weird part was the baby became huge from radioactive milk, which hits a bit too close to the lumberjacks Giant Shark idea and their radiation from the plant.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Cojawfee posted:

The newlyweds were judged after Mel and Jermaine. I think the judges mentioned seeing a baby again despite the fact that the judges are there for the whole build and knew they had the baby first.

I just watched the ep, and the judges definitely called out Mel & Jermaine for having a baby in theirs, just stopping short of saying they ripped the newlyweds off.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

I don't understand this week's viral theme. What do European travel bans have to do with racing Lego cars?

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Flynn and Richard threw the first (lego) brick at stonewall

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh hey we've got a thread for this show!

I watched the Australian series when it aired and then caught up with the older UK series and then as many episodes of the Dutch series as I could find online. The UK series was a bit clunkier (they let the teams come up with plans for their builds at home before coming into the studio and putting their models together) and the Australian series seemed to really bring the format together because the format and most of the challenges in the US version are directly copied from the Australian version. If you want to keep all the twists and turns unspoiled before you watch the US episodes I'd recommend leaving off watching the Australian series until after.

I'm going to bet on the Newlyweds winning the grand prize, they've got a lot of techniques and flourishes which really elevate their builds.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
I'm watching the UK version now and it's just so charming. It feels more like a documentary series than a game show. And having kids on the show is delightful.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Two bridges that held 1000lb.......drat

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

lol my DVR cut off right before Flynn and Richard started testing their weight so I went to wiki to see who got eliminated only to find out the Beard Bros ALSO held 1k and won.

Guess I'll look up the end on Hulu or something.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

So having watched the episode and also having read the Australian AMA I'm seeing way more of how staged reality competitions are. They "ran out of weight" in the other show, too, according to the AMA.

I liked both of the bridges that held 1,000 lbs. It was a shame that they had to pick just one because both aesthetic approaches were great.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nth Doctor posted:

So having watched the episode and also having read the Australian AMA I'm seeing way more of how staged reality competitions are. They "ran out of weight" in the other show, too, according to the AMA.

To be fair the best bridges in the Australian series could only manage a maximum of 88kg, or 194lb so it's absolutely believable that the producers of the US version didn't have 1000lbs of weights standing by because that's just goddamned ridiculous. It's also pretty dangerous to have that much weight getting flung around the studio so I don't blame them for stopping there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xvmwa8_fII

The Australian teams actually had 10 hours to build their bridges where the US teams only had between 7 to 6.5 hours but the pillars they were building off were much shorter and thinner and slightly further apart and they also had an irregular base, I guess which leads to shittier more-easily-collapsible bridges.

Also some of the US contestants definitely would have seen the Australian show so this challenge may not have been a complete surprise for them :ssh:

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

OOF Flynn and Richard didn't do so well in that episode. At least they survived elimination. I'm rooting for them even tho I think Mark and Boone will win.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Crazy how this one went. Once again the two teams that I expect to make it to the end knock it out of the park. Once again, Mel and Jermaine just assume they are the best at a certain type of build and totally crap out while being shown up by a team that is just doing whatever. I liked that the newlyweds realized that they had no idea how to do anything with technic and just went back to normal bricks and a shape they knew was strong, and it just happened to work. I think the theme of a medieval style stone bridge worked out because that's pretty much how a bunch of those things were built. They didn't really have much knowledge of engineering, so they just piled rocks together really strongly so it would stay up.

I just don't get why Mel and Jermaine were so far behind in their build. They kept going on about how their bridge would be the strongest, so aesthetics didn't matter for them. The top two were not only the strongest, they also looked the nicest out of all the other bridges. I wonder if there was something we didn't see behind the scenes, because I didn't even realize until the end that Mel and Jermaine had only built about half of their bridge.

We're starting to see people really crash and burn now. I wonder who is going to go out next week with that madlibs style story it looks like they have to do. I'm guessing the newlyweds will be fine, because they have always had really strong stories for their builds. Mark and Boone might do fine, but they also have the golden brick. It could also be another strong Sam and Jessica week.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Mrs. Doctor caught the episode with me and it was her first time watching. I mentioned the Newlyweds' Newlywedhood and she braced herself, wondering what sort of early marriage blowups have happened on camera. I let her know they look to be pretty low drama, as opposed to Sam's freakout on Jessica.

Overall though I can't think of any other serious intra-team squabbling.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think they aren't having drama because they have probably laid out what each of them is good at and stick to that. The husband has the knowledge of how Lego works that prevents him from getting stuck on things, and she seems to have a good eye for decorating things and adding details. I think she hadn't done much with lego before this, so she probably recognizes that he has the knowledge she needs and asks for help, and he isn't condescending and a jerk about telling her. It seems like a similar dynamic that Manny and Nestor had, where Manny knew lego and planned things out, and Nestor was just there to support him and flesh out the details. The difference is that newlyweds husband guy is better at planning out what he's doing.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Cojawfee posted:

I think they aren't having drama because they have probably laid out what each of them is good at and stick to that. The husband has the knowledge of how Lego works that prevents him from getting stuck on things, and she seems to have a good eye for decorating things and adding details. I think she hadn't done much with lego before this, so she probably recognizes that he has the knowledge she needs and asks for help, and he isn't condescending and a jerk about telling her. It seems like a similar dynamic that Manny and Nestor had, where Manny knew lego and planned things out, and Nestor was just there to support him and flesh out the details. The difference is that newlyweds husband guy is better at planning out what he's doing.

I think the newleyweds have said as much. She doesn't really understand it much but just enjoys doing it with him and he's not a condescending dick about it when she's trying to help so it works well :v:

I think Aaron and Christian might be in trouble next week because they're incredible at technical builds but have repeatedly shown that story based builds are a weakness.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I wanna know how the newlywebs builts something so strong. There was a brief peak at the underside, but w/out technic, it shouldn't have been that strong.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Oh dang I forgot that the UK version also had a bridge challenge in their second series, it was ** so much worse ** because the teams had really short pillars to build off and they were only given 3 hours. (Also half the contestants were young children.) The judges tested the bridges by driving a 2kg toy car over them, and if they survived that they added a 2kg weight and drove over it again. Half the bridges failed and the ones that survived were looking pretty shaky.

Here's a few screenshots, see if you can guess which ones survived and which didn't:
https://i.imgur.com/51SdqOM.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/J5vwJda.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/5kphVYA.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ydG2QNO.jpg

Cojawfee posted:

I liked that the newlyweds realized that they had no idea how to do anything with technic and just went back to normal bricks and a shape they knew was strong, and it just happened to work. I think the theme of a medieval style stone bridge worked out because that's pretty much how a bunch of those things were built. They didn't really have much knowledge of engineering, so they just piled rocks together really strongly so it would stay up.

There was a large amount of clever design sneakily hidden inside that bridge, it had perpendicular internal arches all the way along

Nth Doctor posted:

Overall though I can't think of any other serious intra-team squabbling.

Sam & Jessica had a bunch of problems earlier on because Jessica isn't that experienced and Sam doesn't handle stress well at all so he was being pretty lovely to her.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Watching them put 1000 lbs on those bridges was tense. I was waiting for the second bridge to explode and for the weights to smash the plexiglass barriers underneath.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

I wanna know how the newlywebs builts something so strong. There was a brief peak at the underside, but w/out technic, it shouldn't have been that strong.

Arches are really strong, and it wasn't entirely without technic. They were using technic bricks with pins to hold things together to keep them from coming apart laterally.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

PowerBeard posted:

You never know, one of the misfits might have a weird background in structural engineering or racecar design.

I just looked up Sam's website (I was double checking I was using the correct pronouns for him because he his clothing choices are fairly gender fluid) and it turns out he's a professional toy designer
https://www.behance.net/SamHatmaker

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I just looked up Sam's website (I was double checking I was using the correct pronouns for him because he his clothing choices are fairly gender fluid) and it turns out he's a professional toy designer
https://www.behance.net/SamHatmaker

Huh, he did the Golden Girls project on ideas that made it to 10k supporters but didn’t make it through review

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/df74e9e6-183c-4cf5-a2f5-41e0b8626260

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wow the top 2 were impressive this week. Mark and Boone are starting to feel like the ones to beat now. I was shocked at how well the Newlyweds held up and it was crazy that it was mostly brick built. The aesthetic on Mark and Boones was also the best bridge by a long shot though, so it felt like a double whammy that it seemingly held endless weight.

I think if they had kept going the newlyweds would have lasted longer though.