Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Agree it seems like the "three teams in the finals" thing was producers loving around to save Tyler and Amy.

And good, because watching the beard guys kicking the poo poo out of Sam and Jessica would have been a boring finale.

I hate Sam. I guess they've been trying to edit it to make them look like overachieving underdogs, but he was so mean to Jessica early on and then gave up so hard this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, he's been a real prick several times, and I'd much rather watch a 2-team finale with only the two happy-go-lucky teams who are both obviously very talented.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Tyler and Amy are still the favorites I think. Especially if this is like a typical reality competition where the finale is 3 challenges wrapped into one.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
^^^ Almost always a cheap editing trick when something like this happens, btw. I was watching the new Amazon Prime Project Runway ripoff, and they had a team build where one dude went and sat down and got on his phone, and he was clearly looking at Pinterest, so he probably wasn't even slacking off, just looking for ideas, and they tried to play it as a dramatic moment of tension between him and his partner (they won the challenge easily). Like no one takes breaks for the 3 days of work they do.

The judges seem to be much more focused on cohesive storytelling than impressive, complex builds, and I think Tyler and Amy are better at that than the beard guys.

It makes sense. The judges are the people who design the actual Lego sets, which aren't 10,000-piece sprawling, towering works. They're tight packages of storytelling.

They should add a judge who's one of those people who gets paid to do poo poo like build a life-size T-Rex outside the Jurassic Park roller coaster or something like that.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 13, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Mark and Boone's tower idea ain't cohesive enough and won't "read" well.

Tyler and Amy's is probably gonna come out loving gorgeous, and they're smart to lean into "hey we're gonna have a kid give us money for our kid". Sam and Jessica's idea is pretty good too; I could see that coming out really well.

Edit: They're just gonna display it somewhere? Isn't it fairly easy for them to just make custom kits these days? How about "We're gonna sell your build as a kit on the website and give you a cut of revenue" as a prize?

That paintbrush thing is cool. Great idea.

Oh poo poo, these all came out great. I have no idea who's winning this.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Apr 16, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

Tyler and Amy's build was absolutely the best one IMO. I think the judges got it right, even if I wanted Beard Bros to win.

I dunno that peacock was something else. I didn't think Sam and Jessica had that in them.

I thought Tyler and Amy had the best idea, but it was really confusing at the focal point. It was hard to tell what was going on in the eggs/lizard head/eagle head area.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Their kids are gonna have really large mouths.

Also are they Mormon? They seem Mormon. Channeling your sexual repression into giant Lego projects seems like something a Mormon would do.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

IcePhoenix posted:

I agree but also think it was also pretty clearly the third best build on the table.

Honestly, I thought the peacock was better than Mark and Boone's in the end. Mark and Boone's was extremely good, but it's more of a playset than art. They made a really cool toy that kids would probably love to play with, and the other two teams made display pieces.

I'll agree with whoever said it earlier. If Sam and Jessica had found like a mechanical way to do the "reveal" of the rest of the story so you didn't have to walk around the thing to see it, they probably would have won.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 16, 2020

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

One thing I noticed is that there is text at the end of the episodes that says that contestants might have gotten extra time to finish builds. I wonder if that's what happens for teams that aren't going to win, but they want them to have something nice for TV. Because it seems like Will says that time is up and then suddenly some teams have extra bits in their build that I had never seen before.

ooo that's a thought. I always assumed the fuckery was going the other direction. Shows like this always seem to show you products that are a lot less polished right around the final countdown to add like "Are they gonna finish???" drama, and I thought that was just an editing trick, like they'd play the audio of a countdown over footage from 2 hours prior. I never considered that they might go "look you're not gonna win, but take another 3 hours and add some more to it so it looks nice when it's revealed."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Caught up on the season today, and holy gently caress that hat Natalie and Michelle made. Jeeeeeeesus that was next level

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Overall I think this season has a better selection of teams. With most of the obvious weaker ones already being eliminated. The two remaining being the moms and the Chicago/New York guys.

Outside of that I think it’s really anyone’s game. They are all pretty solid. Although Zack and Wayne are kind of the whole package. I think there is a pretty high chance of them winning. They can kind of do everything. Mark and Steven are probably the best aesthetic builders but I think they are gonna get tripped up by being asked to go outside of their comfort zone like that comparable team from season 1.

I’m low key rooting for Natalie and Michelle though. I think they are really creative with parts usage.

Totally agree. I think that's the Top 3 so far and every other team is lagging a good bit behind them. The uber-dork brothers show some flashes of brilliance every once in awhile. Moms, BLM team, and married couple are not long for this competition.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I've seen so much Battlebots that I thought for sure the Utah moms were going to win the demolition derby simply because they had a wedge.

The demolition derby was extremely underwhelming. Those RC kits just don't have enough kick to them to make it interesting.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Blue Moonlight posted:

I really need a GIF of the car just driving straight off the table, but the internet seems to be failing me.

I'd make it for you but Hulu uses some kind of tech wizardry that prevents my screen gif program from recording it.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't much care for these performance challenges. It seems pretty arbitrary. They aren't engineers; I don't really care whose RC car lasts the longest or whose windmill takes the most punishment.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I actually really like the way they're handling the performance challenges. Obviously they've added so many because they make for good tv, but I think they've made them good displays of creativity and building skill as well, and they've allowed some skills to shine that might not normally come out in a typical build.

Might just be me, but I don't think it makes for very good TV because the back half of the show becomes a very repetitive stress test.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I liked the look of the losing puppet a lot but it didn't seem to move, like, at all. They made it really easy for the judges, I think.

I agree that Zach and Wayne seem like the heavy favorites down the home stretch. They're a lot more creative than Mark and Steven and seem to have more technical skill than Nichole and Michelle.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Aug 20, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
A lot of really cool builds this week. I love the artsy-er challenges.

A bit surprised by the decision. I thought Mark and Stevens' was worse than either of the bottom two. But Richard put in a notably bad performance in the individual part that really put them in a bind putting things together. I think he got stuck in a cul-du-sac with that coral idea. And both of them should have realized that if they can't really combine a penguin and coral, then all the rest of the punk rock scene needs to look like its built out of coral.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I think there was a fix for Mark and Steven's too. Rigid giraffe legs for the jellyfish instead of dangly ones. The dangly ones they went with just made it look like a jellyfish with weird-colored legs.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Preposterous decision this week on the winners. The week really emphasized that this competition is Zack & Wayne vs. Scrubs.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

I wonder if it was because all the entries sucked poo poo, or if they really planned to not send anyone home this week. It seemed like last season they were acting like it was an act of mercy to send three teams to the finals. But more they are doing that again, just putting off getting rid of the fourth team.

I'm sure they've got a set number of weeks where they can't send anyone home to make their episode order, so it's mildly clever of them to save one to the last week the golden brick can be used to flush it out.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Really cool builds this week, aside from Zack and Wayne who figured out that no one was even going attempt to challenge them on length.

Not a lot of drama though. It was obvious Natalie and Michelle were struggling from the start. They had a neat concept though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
So pumped I'mma watch this poo poo live and put up with the commercials. I'll spoiler any live posting because I get the impression most people watch it on Hulu.

I just noticed Brad Pitt is an EP on this.

ooo day/night idea is cool. I would have expected this to be a "do whatever the gently caress you want" finale like last season

Oh poo poo, Caleb and Jacob's build is going to be cool as gently caress.

Zack and Wayne's idea is pretty meh. I feel like we've seen the "Tower with stuff on each floor" idea before and it did not go well.

Could see the "night" side of Mark and Steven's getting lost.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 15, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I don't think the size is really going to be a problem for Caleb and Jacob. They're just trying to add some drama.

Really stretching for time here. Family videos huh? *checks watch*

Oh god, this commercial break cliffhanger is brutal :ohdear:

The second cliffhanger "Oh no I tripped on a cord" was much less dramatic.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 15, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Zack and Wayne did not bring it on this one. Several of their, like, 6-hour builds were more impressive than this.

Mark and Steven's is dope. Really comes together in the dark.

Caleb and Jacob's doesn't change very much light to dark.

Gonna predict Mark and Steven win.

I think they got 2nd/3rd wrong there.

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 15, 2021

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I didn't think it was particularly close. The winners were clear.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

I'm guessing they probably couldn't do it due to covid, but I wish they would have brought in people from last season to be a guest judge or something. I really liked that about the netflix glass blowing show.

That show's also very cool. I'd think if someone likes Lego Masters they'd probably like Blown Away

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

PowerBeard posted:

The Australian finale was so much more impressive than these ones. It almost felt like the night thing held the teams back.

It seemed like a cool idea but I wonder if the Lego hardware wasn't up to the task.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I've been catching up on this season, and I thought Emily and Liam were a couple and just floored when he was like "I'm so glad I have my mom here."

I dunno what the deal is with Lego, but everyone always seems like big ol' weirdos. I dunno if they coach them to act like that, like "Alright, look lego is a kids product. We're gonna need you to be unnaturally cheerful at all times. None of you should ever act like regular adults for a second on camera."

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Ah, the baseball playoffs. That wonderful time of year when Fox kneecaps every new show on its programming slate.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I liked the new guys' brick characters. I can't remember anyone doing that before. Good way to make a splash coming in.

I know the concept is probably the hardest part of the build, but holy poo poo you had 10 hours and it took you SIX to come up with the concept?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

I still think the TikTok team is absurd to be allowed to skip 3 challenges

Yeah it's pretty dumb, but they do seem to be much better than the 3 teams that got sent home in the first 3 episodes. So no harm, no foul?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

mastershakeman posted:

They should have picked better teams for the show then!

I really do prefer the Australian style of way fewer teams and fewer eliminations. Get to know them better, and sometimes a team will whiff and then bounce right back

Do they give them more time on that show? These things are apparently real time consuming, maybe give them like ... 16-18 hours instead of 10-12 and most of them won't suck so bad.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Blue Moonlight posted:

What does everyone think of “vignette collection” builds? Both top-two teams had them this week to some degree, but the kids’ use of the technique bothered while the influencers’ use didn’t, and I can’t quite seem to articulate why.

I feel like there’s a line where on one side, the vignettes all support a greater theme, and on the other side, they’re a junk drawer of disparate ideas.

I've noticed that "DJ concert" is a vignette that a lot of desperate teams reach for.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Really good episode. Fun idea for a contest, and the teams produced some interesting builds with everyone seeming to use different techniques.

Very funny to see the cocky newcomers team wind up only saved by being in the bottom with a team that had been underperforming for a while and who were an easy cut.

Aside from the ones that failed the basic requirements, I thought the team with the puli did not rise to the occasion. The face is pretty good, but they just stuck a bunch of those tube things into a plate with holes in it for the body. Didn't realllllly get the look and also you spent 11 hours on that?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
At first, I thought it was ok they let the tiktok dudes skip the line because they were better than the other teams. Now I think it's ok they let the tiktok dudes skip the line because they clearly cannot handle the time constraints and have no chance of winning.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Catching up, I thought the camp one was a bad prompt that the contestants managed to make some good builds out of nonetheless. I feel like the production went out of their way to emphasize like "No, really, make it something imaginative," because that does not seem to be the strong suit of any of these teams. And of course it was funny to see the kids hand one of the weakest teams the get-out-of-jail-free brick.

Golf course was a much cooler challenge. I can see why both the bottom teams were there because neither really felt like mini golf holes at all.

I think the other influencers team is probably next out. They've been on the bottom at least 3 times right?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

A Fancy Hat posted:

definitely not worth the hype the show gave them.

It's pretty funny they already had "influencers". The original influencers must have been pretty miffed when they saw all the marketing.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
That Thor scene ruled though I dunno what the judges were talking about with the backdrop being too exciting or whatever.

Nick and Stacy did really well with a completely garbage scene. Their model looked way, way more dynamic and interesting that the dull-rear end screenshot.

The editing made it super obvious that Emily and Liam were going to lose, like, immediately. Their first scene was them hugging and talking about how happy they were to have competed and spent so much time together. I dunno when they shoot those talking head segments, but they looked absolutely defeated in every one of them.

Nick and Stacy must have a record for number of times surviving the bottom two. This had to be their 3rd at least.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Cool idea for a challenge, also good call not eliminating anyone because nothing about the lego building made any difference in the race.

I thought the red car looked muuuuuuuuch better than the blue car. Wasn't even close.

HootTheOwl posted:

Yeah! Jeff Gordon!

Wait who the gently caress is William Byron?

Oh Jeff is back for the race.

lol, this seemed to be the reaction from the contestants too. Polite cheerfulness for whoever this Byron guy is, wild applause and recognition for Jeff Gordon. I don't know why they bothered with the other dude at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It was fun to see little Canadian lady dominate those 3 hulking dudes. And she was right about everything.

Think the Canadians might win? They've got a dynamic that's often successful in the final rounds, which are much more open ended than the rest of the challenges, where one of them has a strong vision and the other one is just there to help out.

I think definitely the two small dudes who had the golden brick are most likely to lose next week