Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

A Fancy Hat posted:

Did the teams get a chance to demo or at least see the goop before it sprayed out of the volcano? I know you couldn't run it through the model, but you had a few teams that really seemed to totally misunderstand how the stuff worked.
Yeah, it was kind of BS. I certainly wasn't expecting the lava to be, basically, a bunch of sweet and sour sauce. The obelisk guys though, I don't know what they were thinking. It's a shame because I think that team was really good, they just couldn't get it together. Some teams seem to have the imagination and the building skill but just can't handle the time limit. (Like, if that team had had an extra 45 minutes to think they probably would've realized it was a bad idea to not build a volcano in the volcano challenge.)

Just glad the volcanos didn't end up knocking out Neena and Sam who are the best team this season, IMO. And also in the Brickmasters' opinion, clearly. (And they are loving adorable.)

Poppy and Ben were nearly as good, and nearly as cute, and it sucks that got knocked out by whatever.

Rewatched season 2... I dunno, I feel like there just aren't any teams in S4 the caliber of the three brother teams. Once you get past the top 10-15 lego building pairs I think the level of skill starts to drop off, just like once you get past the top 10-15 runners or quarterbacks or any extremely high-skill thing with a long tail of talent distribution. From S2, Michelle/Natalie and Dave/Richard would have had a serious shot this season.

The best volcano anybody's ever made on Lego Masters is still the one Caleb and Jacob made for no reason except they had to use a bunch of red snakes and didn't know what else to do with them.

Misunderstood fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Nov 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Finally got around to watching the office objects one. I thought it was pretty funny by the standard of the show’s intentionally groan-y format. I liked those voiceovers, even if was kind of trite.

Would’ve been tough for the girls to get knocked out on what was a very, very good model, even if it was one of the easier choices, but that’s what happens late in the competition, you know? Fortunately Aubrey and Ryan made it very easy on the judges by not even getting the dimensions of the TV screen right, when everybody in the world can instantly recognize the 4:3 format and would very easily notice if it was off a little - and they were off a LOT. The screen didn’t look good either, but making it the right shape probably would’ve helped a bit.

I definitely agreed that the telescope and clarinet were the best, and I figured they’d give it to the telescope just because it was bigger. I liked the clarinet a bit more because of the NPU, and because I like clarinets, but they were both pretty great. There was absolutely zero chance of Stacy picking them out except by naming random poo poo, which was more impressive with the telescope because it was much more prominent. (The bell on the clarinet was also pretty off and would’ve made it easier to pick out up close.)

My wife really didn’t like the deceit from the business school kids (which I thought might have been reality show “magic”, but Neena said they really did convince them to take the rug.) I can understand that. But it did end up creating a nice moment when everybody helped them finish. It’s clear there are strong bonds among most contestants, that don’t get shown on air too much* until you see them crying when somebody leaves, so it was nice to see some of that directly. The juxtaposition of that with the “villains” nearly failing the challenge was good TV. And the rug turned out to be actually pretty awesome, it looked shockingly natural in the room.

I need to check out some of those Aussie episodes. Like, even if I don’t find them better than the US episodes, it’s still, y’know, more “Lego Masters.”

* one of these that really took me by surprise this season is that everybody REALLY seemed to love the Tims (the overall guys). I mean they seemed nice but they must have been absolute saints.

Misunderstood fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 8, 2023

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Escobarbarian posted:

really didn’t expect the siblings to make it this far at the start of the season, enjoyed their glow-up a bunch.
They're awesome, one of my favorite sibling teams they've had. Their personalities are so different but complementary. And they aren't S-tier but they are very very good builders.

And yeah, the shark really stood out above all the other cars, and with a clear and badass concept it was also pretty clearly the most appropriate one to be added to a game. (And although he did exploit the pole position it seemed like Christopher is really good at RC cars.) I feel like the whole setup of the episode was a recipe for some disappointing builds, but the race itself was fun.

I feel like this is the first time they ever didn't do a top 2. They were just like "gently caress y'all, let's not kid ourselves here." I mean even when they were just evaluating the cars before the race it was clear C&R were winning that one.

Misunderstood fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 19, 2023

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like Christopher and Robert started the season a little slow but they are now demonstrating the wisdom of always putting your money on the biggest nerds to make the finals.

I know Christopher's "villainy" is mostly a joke but I wonder if the earnest references to his mom and stuff were emphasized in editing to start rehabilitating him so viewers can enjoy an eventual victory.

e: Christopher and Robert, not Robin, this ain't Winnie the Pooh

Misunderstood fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 20, 2023

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Habibi posted:

They have 4 now? Used to only be the first 3....

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, the show is, of course, also a giant advertisement, which they made even less subtle in the last episode by talking about the drat racing game constantly, and building the entire (not great) challenge around it.

Even if there's not a talent pool problem, I'd love to see some former teams come back. I mean, why not? Can Season 2's Reddit Bros beat Season 1's weird fundie pod people?

(Maybe I'm being too hard on Tyler and Amy. The only one of those things I'm sure about is that they were weird.)

Misunderstood fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 21, 2023

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

PostNouveau posted:

Big Mormon energy from those two.

I assume Lego is big with the Mormons, along with any other hobby that can let them sublimate every urge they have.

Edit: Quick googling tells me they're actually Presbyterians

I remember season 1 or 2 had a team whose theme was clearly “Mormon moms” but I guess they thought it would be indelicate to just say that so they were “Utah moms”.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Escobarbarian posted:

Shame. Mormoms was right there

Mormom was right there.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Mormomma so pious she thinks coffee should be schedule I

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
At the end of the cycle Christopher said something like it was "parked and ready to go again" or something - I got the impression there was a locking/gate docking mechanism so that the cart would stop and could be restarted again with a remote button press (like he used to start the coaster), rather than cycling automatically. (Maybe if it ran automatically it would be in danger of colliding with the spinning pillar at an inopportune moment and getting knocked off the track?)

Not sure though - you'd think they would've shown it if it was the case, because it's a cool idea. Considering they had come up with the system to propel the carts with the wheels on the side it seems like they should've been able to manage it, but maybe they didn't have time.

I thought their coaster was the best from the standpoint of, it looked like it would be fuckin' wild to ride it. Neena and Sam's looked a bit more conventional. In any case, at the point when Jamie said "uhh, I don't think you can do that" and they did anyway, there was no way they weren't winning.

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Been watching some AU LM, and it's definitely better, like you all said. I love Will Arnett but Hamish is good too, and seems a lot more actively involved. But the main difference is just that they spend a lot more time focusing on the creative process and building techniques, and they're not afraid to follow a specific team for 5 or 10 minutes, when an American reality show editor would frantically start looking for a new storyline after 45 seconds.

Some cool teams. I like that on the proto-Liam and Emily team (which in AU is actually with his grandma, which is even cuter) the kid is also named Liam. Bilsy and Kale have extreme "disney movie henchmen" energy. The machinist guys have preternatural precision and hand control. The designer girls' aesthetic sense is amazing.

A two hour premiere to spend a good chunk of time with every team is also a great idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Misunderstood
Jan 19, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
I just started AU season 2. They've definitely dialed up the comedy and it works really well. The Flash Jordan brick is brilliant.

I thought Brickman was kind of nicer to everybody than he was in season 1. Or maybe it was just edited to make his criticisms seem gentler? (Like, anything sounds worse after a scary reality show sound effect.) I loved how he would just say "well geez you made a real piece of poo poo here huh" in season 1 and I hope he still does that, and he was just being nice because it was a premier (and also because the only team to really screw up was little girls.)

I love how open it was for a first challenge, though! It was pretty drat close to "build anything," just with minifigure scale mandatory. (And really I think they should do mandatory minifigure scale more often. It makes things look more like sets. Like the steampunk island and boat that the stoner guys made, that looked like a set!)

(Unlike big planes with saggy wings and random monuments in the middle!)

ruddiger posted:

All those final builds were pretty awful. Woe to the Lego teams that have to adapt any of those things for the consumer market.
I like to be a positive person but yeah, they were all just... okay, at best. :smith:

I just don't understand why they couldn't get better teams this season. The top three teams all had their moments, but they felt more like fourth-sixth place teams from earlier seasons. If there's enough talent in Australia to keep up the quality, can't we manage with over ten times the population?

(It's not just on the builders, either - I think some of the challenges were pretty poorly conceived.)

Escobarbarian posted:

Marshawn Lynch stole the show in these specials tbh
I think Marshawn Lynch has stolen every moment of his life. That dude rules.

[praise from brickmasters]
Will: "Marshawn, how does that make you feel?"
Marshawn: "It doesn't make me feel any way. I already knew that. I told you."

Misunderstood fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 23, 2023