Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
All the shows I watch don't seem to get threads until halfway through the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Some of the prompts seem lovely as well. The half objects, for example, seemed like they were hit or miss. Some objects had obvious themes they could work with and had lots of studs to attach to. Others, like the laptop, and a very small amount of studs, and were difficult to even figure out what to do with them. And when the two guys did think of something for the laptop, the judges poo poo on their idea for not having enough cool shapes or whatever. I thought their theme fit perfectly with something as rigid and compartmental as using a laptop.

It is interesting though to see people struggle with a prompt that they just don't know what to do with. Like the two bros who clearly have no idea what romance is. I was confused when Manny seemed to not know what the fantasy genre even was and thought he was supposed to just build what he thinks his cowboy dude fantasized about.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They are definitely very good at building display models that you'd see at a Lego convention or something, but it is definitely "build a cool model first, figure out how to shoehorn it into the theme last". You can see it in the destruction challenge. The newlyweds got drop, so they built their model in a way that would hopefully have that bomb drop into the alien's maw when it hit the ground to make it seem like it caused the whole thing to explode. They built to their challenge prompt. The two bros just built neat looking space station under construction but gave no real thought to if it would look cool when blown up, and it didn't look cool. It just looked like some things falling down but it didn't really explode. Them hamming it up when their destruction was lackluster really shows that they are just trying to convince people that what they make fits after the fact rather than something that really does fit. Though, they will probably run away with the city theme because that seems like something they already build normally.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 3, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

ixnay posted:

Brickset has been posting exit interviews with the eliminated teams each week and there’s some interesting bits in there about the process behind the show

https://brickset.com/news/category-TV-Shows

These are good, I wish we could have gotten more info like this during the show.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think an interview said they hadn't built together until the show, but it is possible that they both have some default designs that they've done in the past that they keep in the back of their minds. I thought it was just played for effect in the show, but the first exit interview confirmed that, in the first challenge, they pretty much had that ferris wheel going right out of the gate. As if one of them had built one before and just remade it. I would have trouble getting something technical like that going in the whole 15 hours, but they had it already working and looking like a finished product within an hour or two.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't see how they could have kicked Crystal and Amy off. They had an amazing build before the twist and it was still pretty decent after the twist. Mel and Jermaine's was all over the place. It was bad before the twist, and wasn't all that great after the twist. It was disjointed and all over the place. It feels like they were so obsessed with building a tall tower that they lost sight of everything else. I think it all comes down to Crystal and Amy getting a bit flustered when the judges asked them to explain the monsters. Their build was so full of detail compared to Mel and Jermaine's build which featured a large, empty tower. A good episode, but this is the first decision that I disagree with.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 5, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the final will be between beard guys and newlyweds. The techbros (why are we calling them techbros? One is in the army, I only used it because it's easier than their real team name) keep stumbling with themes that are anything other than generic things you'd expect to see at a lego convention.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It was pretty dumb to claim "building towers is what I do, I'm gonna make the biggest tower here" and then it was nothing but empty floors with a minifigure on a few of them. It's especially bad when the other two guys had their tower get half destroyed, finished rebuilding some of it at the last second and then it still looks nicer. The divers helmet was the superman whatever team. Now that it's been pointed out, it does seem pretty obvious that Mel and Jermaine were straight up copying ideas from other teams. Sometimes it has worked out, like Rocktopus, but sometimes it really flops like when they copied the baby and when they made that tower.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is next week both slot car racing and a weight on a bridge challenge?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The newlyweds were judged after Mel and Jermaine. I think the judges mentioned seeing a baby again despite the fact that the judges are there for the whole build and knew they had the baby first.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Crazy how this one went. Once again the two teams that I expect to make it to the end knock it out of the park. Once again, Mel and Jermaine just assume they are the best at a certain type of build and totally crap out while being shown up by a team that is just doing whatever. I liked that the newlyweds realized that they had no idea how to do anything with technic and just went back to normal bricks and a shape they knew was strong, and it just happened to work. I think the theme of a medieval style stone bridge worked out because that's pretty much how a bunch of those things were built. They didn't really have much knowledge of engineering, so they just piled rocks together really strongly so it would stay up.

I just don't get why Mel and Jermaine were so far behind in their build. They kept going on about how their bridge would be the strongest, so aesthetics didn't matter for them. The top two were not only the strongest, they also looked the nicest out of all the other bridges. I wonder if there was something we didn't see behind the scenes, because I didn't even realize until the end that Mel and Jermaine had only built about half of their bridge.

We're starting to see people really crash and burn now. I wonder who is going to go out next week with that madlibs style story it looks like they have to do. I'm guessing the newlyweds will be fine, because they have always had really strong stories for their builds. Mark and Boone might do fine, but they also have the golden brick. It could also be another strong Sam and Jessica week.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think they aren't having drama because they have probably laid out what each of them is good at and stick to that. The husband has the knowledge of how Lego works that prevents him from getting stuck on things, and she seems to have a good eye for decorating things and adding details. I think she hadn't done much with lego before this, so she probably recognizes that he has the knowledge she needs and asks for help, and he isn't condescending and a jerk about telling her. It seems like a similar dynamic that Manny and Nestor had, where Manny knew lego and planned things out, and Nestor was just there to support him and flesh out the details. The difference is that newlyweds husband guy is better at planning out what he's doing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

I wanna know how the newlywebs builts something so strong. There was a brief peak at the underside, but w/out technic, it shouldn't have been that strong.

Arches are really strong, and it wasn't entirely without technic. They were using technic bricks with pins to hold things together to keep them from coming apart laterally.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The beard guys' bridge was starting to come apart a bit. The newlyweds bridge would probably have lasted longer.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You said it was seemingly holding endless weight. If they had been allowed to go much further, it likely would have failed.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

ChesterJT posted:

By outward appearance I thought Richard and Flynn was going to be one to beat. All that technic work looked amazing even though they admitted artistry was more their thing. It just seemed like the plates on the bridge itself were held up by nothing. The weights just fell right through like it was nothing I couldn't believe it. Also agreeing I have no idea how the newlyweds held up but I'm real curious what their structure underneath was like in detail, not just the sweeping shot we got. Another time a time-lapse shot would be super cool.

I will say I was disappointed that they were going to pick the loser by aesthetic. I was excited to see a "physical" challenge this week but they keep going back to looks and story too much. Lego can make some amazing art but it's also an amazing engineering toy.

How else would they decide? There would be no point of a bottom two if they went by the weight being held by the bridge. How much weight their bridge held is what stratified them into the bottom, middle, and top. Then aesthetics decided the final results.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Without the aesthetics, they would have just sent Richard and Flynn home with little fanfare. Jermaine and Mel deserved to lose. Their bridge tied for second to last place, looked bad, and wasn't even close to being finished. Not to mention that they had spent the past few weeks copying other people's designs and everything they came up with on their own was pretty lackluster. I felt like they deserved to lose against the cosplayers, so to keep them in the game two times in a row with terrible entries, would be bad television.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The next appears to be story telling so I can definitely see Aaron and Christian goofing it up, considering that their idea for "romance" was to just put hearts on a dragon. Mark and Boone used hearts for theirs, but it was to link the one shark to the other shark and it was a clear story that these two were in love and one was trying to free the other. Aaron and Christian's was just a dragon with a heart on it that was in love with something I guess. They make nice sculptures, but storytelling is definitely not their strong suit. Especially for what seems to be a story made up by children. I think Flynn and Richard, Sam and Jessica, and Tyler and Amy will be pretty strong for that one. Maybe even Mark and Boone because they are great all around. It would be really hilarious if Aaron and Christian get sent home because they make a really good looking model but it doesn't fit the story so the Judges have to pick them. I could really see Tyler and Amy winning this whole thing and it would be hilarious since Amy hadn't done any Lego before going on the show. Tyler could say he beat all the other teams while also teaching his wife how to be a world class builder at the same time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I was very happy to see Sam and Jessica in the top two. I figured they would be good at this challenge and they knocked it out of the park. Tyler and Amy really loving nailed it. The first part of their build was nice, but that carrot was awe inspiring. Especially the way they they attached the brown bricks to it to make it look like bricks are exploding out of the ground as the carrot comes out.

This week was weird for me because I knew exactly who was going to be top two this week, but had no idea who the bottom two would be. I kind of figured Richard and Flynn, but it was a complete toss up of the other teams. I have a feeling that the judges are really harsh on Aaron and Christian, because they are so good. The judges expect them to knock it out of the park, and they often don't. I think if any other team had done what they did, they would have been fine, but the judges expect so much more from Aaron and Christian. Mostly because there wasn't really any imagination to their build. They built a generic green witch for the Taker Waker. Probably the same for Tyler and Amy, but they always knock it out of the park. I guess also for Mark and Boone, who kind of poo poo the bed this week and were lucky they didn't lose their golden brick.

Richard and Flynn's build looked like it could have been an actual lego set, they just needed to make the creatures look nicer. Them and Sam And Jessica seemed like the weakest teams coming in to this week. Sam and Jessica stepped up to the plate, and Richard and Flynn really struggled. I think there was probably some producer fuckery going on to allow Mark and Boone to keep their golden brick and to give Aaron and Christian a wake up call that they can't just assume that nice looking builds are good enough, they really need to use their imaginations to fit their build to the challenge.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

ChesterJT posted:

I agree. The little guy made the comment about how messy the house was and that they're being too literal. You mean following the challenge and building what the story said?

It wasn't one of their best though, but the messiness of the house wasn't the reason

There's building what was in the story, and then taking the story to another level. They built the taker waker as the witch from wizard of Oz. Tyler and Amy built theirs as a rat in a cave. Sam and Jessica built theirs as a raccoon in a trash can. They were the only ones who excelled and were clearly in the top two.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm assuming that Sam and Jessica stayed on simply because they listened to input and tried to improve their build. Aaron and Christian took the input, and once again ignored it. I could see how they kind of wanted to go for an unassuming top side that doesn't give away the secret lair, kind of like Batman. But that doesn't work for this build. That's great for something where someone can walk around the whole build to look at it. But it doesn't work when it is clearly supposed to be a diorama of two lairs and a battle between and you look at it from the front.

They are definitely too stubborn to stay in. As was clear when Tyler and Amy were not impressed and were very confused by bake sale, and then Aaron and Christian just kept hyping up bake sale as if bringing up the average excitement of the four of them would somehow make it be a good idea. Then their bake sale just made absolutely no sense, it just happened to be in the build. I think if they had just knocked out the wall of the underground part and just built a diorama in there, maybe with a cutaway for an entrance, they would have fared much better and Sam and Jessica would have gone home. Sam and Jessica definitely stuck in because they had such a creative battle, whereas their lair was lackluster.

Was that line where Sam says that he built something so he was going to keep it in the actual show? They kept using it for the teaser, but I don't remember it being in the actual show.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Of anyone, Mark and Boone would have the hardest to pair minifigs because they didn't seem to have anything to do with each other. Just two evil characters that happened to work together. Everyone else had really easy to pair minifigs. The bathtub guy and his mom who helps him with his crime fighting. A mummy with an explorer who does crimes with her. Aaron and Christian could have had theirs be a programmer who had a robot sidekick thing. Have her run a programming school for kids as her normal life, and then also have all these robots she makes plus her robot sidekick to fight the evil mummy because the mummy stole the rare earth minerals that she needs for her robots to make the obelisk. It's loving easy, but they just kept saying "BAKE SALE BAKE SALE BAKE SALE" which makes absolutely no sense outside a tech center that sits above a secret lair.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm surprised they didn't ding Mark and Boone for not having any leaves on their trees. Maybe they took into account that the AT-ST fell apart. Also, Tyler and Amy's droid was confusing to me because Tyler said they couldn't do anything to make the head stronger. I guess he doesn't really understand technic that much, but all he had to do was use some technic beams through the neck to attach the head and it would never come off.

While it's cool that they didn't send anyone home, I don't know if I can handle another week of Sam freaking out because he has resigned himself to losing. I wonder what would happen if a team realized they were out of their depth and just gave up halfway through the build.

This episode also felt like some producer fuckery where they couldn't really decide who to send home, so they just said everybody wins. All the builds seemed equally good, but I don't know if I would have given Mark and Boone the win.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Nth Doctor posted:

I really enjoyed the dynamics of the Endor scene. Everywhere you looked, something was going on. The Newlyweds seemed to put all of their effort into just the big centerpieces.

In particular, what annoyed the gently caress it if me was the way they pronounced AT-AT. They got AT-ST spelled out like God intended, but they kept saying "at at" without a hint of understanding how the two are related.

In an extremely meta moment, I was working on bag 13 of the Millennium Falcon UCS set while watching the episode.

I think someone in a movie says at at so it's CaNoN, even though that makes no sense when there's an AT-ST that can't be pronounced.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Sam seems really abusive.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The beard guys are from Oregon, so they will either buy 100k in beard oil, or a drive in the Nascar truck series.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The editors have been very favorable of them. They stopped building entirely and were filmed having a conversation of "wow, $100k, we could buy a house and have a baby." It felt of like they thought they were totally done with their build and were assuming they were going to win. Maybe all the teams did something like that and it wasn't shown, I don't know. It just seems kind of reckless to just stop building and have a family planning session when you later get criticized for part of your build seeming to be rushed and unfinished.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
From the perspective of what the final challenge was, build something that could be displayed behind glass in a Lego resort, Tyler and Amy definitely did the best. Mark and Boone built something I'd expect to see at an expo or something where they can tell people to put the paintbrush in the bucket and you can look all over at the details. I wanted Mark and Boone to win, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. Which sucks, because I don't think Mark and Boone were ever at risk of going home throughout the entire season. Tyler and Amy would have gone home last week without that twist.

Also, I wonder what it was like for some of the teams to see that Sam and Jessica were still in. They definitely improved a lot, but it was probably a shock based on the early work the other teams saw.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Oh yeah, If the feathers spread apart to reveal the monkey behind it, they could have won. But they didn't have time to do something like that. One thing I noticed is that there is text at the end of the episodes that says that contestants might have gotten extra time to finish builds. I wonder if that's what happens for teams that aren't going to win, but they want them to have something nice for TV. Because it seems like Will says that time is up and then suddenly some teams have extra bits in their build that I had never seen before.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It definitely seemed like Tyler got on the show and then brought his wife with him because he needed a partner.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They should do a challenge where you pick one of Lego's non licensed themes and try to make a fun playset in that theme. Winner of that week gets their set turned into a real lego kit. Would be cool to see someone try to bash together a creator expert set.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

VaultAggie posted:

The winning build from episode 1 absolutely deserved to win, that thing was incredible. I enjoyed the #2 but the dragons were so cool. The Chicago/New York one was also an understated great build.

I really enjoyed the paint cans float. It was really good. I thought it deserved to at least be in the top two.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's just tough fit that much into an hour when there are so many teams. I think they mostly just focus on teams that do really well to show off cool builds, and then the teams that aren't doing to well to give them some screen time before they are kicked off the show. I think we'll see more of the midpack teams as the season goes on.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't like the engineer guys. Especially after this last episode where they kept saying it was their challenge because they were engineers. Then they build a strong skeleton with some random crap stuck to the sides that immediately fell off. I think they should have lost because of that. While what they made was technically a tower, they didn't follow the spirit of the challenge and they deserved to lose much more than the team that did.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I have no idea what their skills are like in their actual job, but it goes to show that being good in one field, doesn't mean you can just assume you're proficient at something else. The other teams had much more complicated engineering in their designs, not to mention their finished designs actually looked good, not something your 5 year old makes in an afternoon.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

PowerBeard posted:

Fashion show episode was fun and some great designs came out of it.

Thank God the Engineers got booted, even if the snake was cool.

Agreed, about time. I am really glad that Michelle and Natalie won and were recognized as top 2 after they got snubbed with their paint can float. Though, there were some really good entries this week. I think it's pretty stratified now, and clear which teams are going to be going to the end. This middle part of the show must be really awkward for some teams where they know they don't have what it takes to go all the way to the end, but they still need to see how far they can go.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The planter was busy, yeah, but it had a lot of technical skill and didn't belong in the bottom two. I thought for sure the bottom two would be the tree and the balloon, with the tree losing. The tree was kind of interesting, but it seems like time management got the best of them again. The Balloon was a big build, but it had no story and they built it in multiple sections for some reason and then couldn't get it to go together. I think one of the most important things I've learned about this show is that you need to have some sort of story that can be animated and shown off during the explanation. If your story is "It's a really big balloon, and in the basket there are some people I guess", you probably aren't going to go very far.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Also since I’m just catching up, I just wanna say that honeycomb skyscraper from the engineers, good god. How were they not just immediately eliminated for that lol.

I really hope a producer took them aside and said "don't pull this poo poo again, you made a mockery of the challenge."

veni veni veni posted:

I’m low key rooting for Natalie and Michelle though. I think they are really creative with parts usage.

They've been the team I've been rooting for. They have talent and they make some really colorful and intricate builds. But they keep tripping up on minor things

I think the two women who made the tree will be the next ones to go. The Chicago/New York dudes probably have another challenge in them, they did pretty well this week. I think the week after next will be a bottom two of the Chi/NY dudes vs that couple that made the sky painters this week. They are pretty decent as well, but clearly aren't up to snuff with the other top teams.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You get 30 seconds to sit back and watch everyone destroy themselves and then you immediately do that? That was hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The best part was him sitting there realizing he just hosed up, his brother looking really pissed off that he really did that, and then those two women busting up laughing.