Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

We binged s2 and s3 of AU in a week while sick and even knowing the US version had too many teams with not enough time, and would suffer the usual prime time major network issues, man it’s just unwatchable :(

I’m sure the builds are fun, but who knows as apparently that’s not a particularly important factor in the US show? Arnett has some serious ‘can you spare any change’ vibes as he saunters over to the teams, it’s like he watched Hamish and just assumed he could copy his style and it doesn’t work when you’re the guy famous for playing GOB. But the worst thing is the constant need to cut to another angle after like 3 seconds max, it’s like a music video fever dream. It’s painful, and makes the whole thing feel like it’s cut from 90 minutes down to 45 like a highlight reel or something. It’s wild that it seems to be made for a generation of people who don’t watch that kind of TV, all the boomers are probably having seizures.

I’ll say the animations are super cool though, and would love to see that implemented for maybe just the winning build in the AU version.

I’ll take Brickman’s genuine emotion as he obviously loving hates sending people home over the Fox shallow attempt to generate emotion out of nothing any day.

I’ll never not be amused that it took the Australians 13 episodes in s3 to send 5 teams home for good, it really cemented the right people were there for the finale and everyone got a good showing. Doing s4 now and will then wrap around to s1 afterwards, my Kale exposure is still pretty low…

I also checked out the first episode of UK, and man I grew up watching low rent British TV but I just loving can’t. NZ will be the next try, they usually make a good stab at things but I’ll just wish that Guy Williams had the hosting duty I’m sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Oh I didn’t realize there’s a new version of the UK one. I don’t dislike Nish, and always up for Horne. I guess it must be under a different listing on tvdb as the original looked like it was marked as having 2 seasons only. I shall investigate, thanks!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I ended up skipping through most the new UK one too, but wanted to see the end as we were trying to work out where it was filmed. Didn’t look like the US set, closer to AU, thought maybe they took the set to London while not being used for filming down there…

Nope, Poland. Was not expecting that.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I think the hope was that it wasn’t just a one off and a full series being shot but I’m guessing not. The UK format of being more kid based and not proper builders doesn’t interest me in the slightest anyway so no loss here.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yessss so hyped. Exactly what I was hoping for now they have a whole bunch of known good teams in the archive and everyone naturally wanting to know who the best between them is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L7kmkdtAbY

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Jackson and Alex came up a few times in the IG comments, people say they have a big exhibition in the works at the moment. So a shame they’re not there, but for a great reason at least. Maybe they’ll swing by for an episode?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kinda. Henry from that team is paired with Sarah who was with Fleur in s3. Cade isn’t there.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Grand Masters has been so good and Hamish is constantly hilarious. Good job finding someone who can remain stoic during the eliminations when everyone else is a blubbering mess too.

Something that amused me is on Bilsy’s twitch stream they all talk about how they want less Hamish on screen and more building, it’s like my dudes you’re in too deep and if the show didn’t have that balance it’d never be as popular as it is.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

His YouTube channel shows timelapses of big builds, it’s all done by a crew working off of laptop plans and he’s not involved in that aspect from what I’ve seen. Some of the contestants in the past have been employees of his before too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

First 3 seasons are on Tubi, not sure why 4 and Grand Masters have never appeared.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kales redemption arc is an enjoyable watch at least, he doesn’t seem a bad person and the show kinda did allow him to become a villain in s1.

There’s a contestant coming in s4 who is worse and from what I’ve read of her social media posts, is portrayed exactly how she is in real life. From what I gather, she made no friends among the cast for that year. She’s a dark mark on the show for sure.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah redemption arc was probably the wrong way to write it, as Albino says above it was more being booked with someone who had the skill set to not take poo poo from Kale and put his foot down. It makes it more entertaining than frustrating for the most part which is a vast improvement to s1.

I also watched a bunch of Bilsy’s aftershow streams and he had Kale on as a guest, and while I know they had a falling out before they do seem friends again and the rest of the contestants don’t seem to hold anything against him. He’s definitely difficult to deal with on top getting a harsh edit. I know one of the most controversial things he said (sadly I don’t remember the phrase) was taken out of context and pushed by a question asked by the producers that we didn’t hear. They also flat out refused to let him mention the neurodivergent element which is a bit cruel, and we all know that is 90% what his personality is based around.

Overall the show isn’t a good environment for him, and there’s people I would’ve preferred to have back in s5 but in the end it wasn’t a distraction. I do like how different Henry is in real life compared to the show, the editors really like to cut him down to saying virtually nothing and seeming a mild mannered and goody two shoes kinda guy. He’s funny on the streams.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like how the ROW teams are established TV teams who are known to be good, but in order to play it fair Australia are going with fresh faces to give everyone a fighting chance.

I could've gone for another season or two of regular LM AU before this, but it is something I was hoping would happen at some point so I'm definitely not complaining. God the dream would be 2 seasons a year, regular LM AU and then a gimmick one like this / GM etc. I love how the AU show is scheduled with 3 episodes a week, but it does mean it flies by when it starts airing. 2024 isn't that long away now at least...

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I can see that. I’ve never really had much interest in competition shows, but I used to watch Taskmaster and it kinda lost my interest when it seemed constantly on. Quality over quantity anyday.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Slyphic posted:

If you never watch another season, go find Taskmaster New Zealand and watch the second season. As someone that's watched damned near all of it including the international non-English versions, TM:NZ S2 is lightning in a bottle.

I hear it’s really good! I watched a few episodes of S1 as I like Guy Williams (and wanted to see another English language version) and one day I’ll finish that and hit the second up too. I think the covid years really didn’t do UK TM any favors, it kinda fell off a cliff during that time.

Has there ever been a Lego building challenge on any TM episode, I can’t think of one off hand but I have a dreadful memory. Could be a fun one.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ahhh I knew *something* triggered a connection in my head. Was kinda hoping it would turn into something season length that followed AU, but I remember posting at the time it looked like it was shot in Turkey from memory.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Season 3 is very very good, from memory has the most people in the Grand Masters (alas Jackson and Alex couldn’t make it). The best build of the entire show so far is in the finale of s5.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I put it on as mother in law was around and I noticed it had just started. It’s still a reminder of why I don’t watch the US one, Fox productions are just awful and it’s a shame. Not gonna lie I’ll tune in next week due to the kitties though, that’s a solid challenge.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

PostNouveau posted:

These brickmasters are obsessed with scale.

There’s only one man we can send to teach them the error of their ways. The true master of the 1:1 scale build.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Habibi posted:

That's because all of the things that need to be cut out of the US version are actually good in the AUS version - the judge talk, Hamish's skits, even the contestant background bits.

Yeah the cuteness of the challenge got me to watch it, but once again I’m bailing from the US version. Fox reality shows are just unbearable.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The pictures of the builds really aren’t making me think I’m missing out on much here to be honest.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

E: doh mistook this thread for the regular LEGO one!

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Nov 7, 2023

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The original one from years ago is a tough watch, but if they have the Xmas special from last year it’s a bunch better.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And S1 of the AU is probably the weakest season too (still great, don’t get me wrong… just better stuff is ahead).

I still can’t watch the US one. Hamish has spoiled us, he and Brickman are so great.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you have the time, it’s worth following Bilsy’s twitch feed and watching his live videos he made for each episode of that season. Has a lot of the people on (and Henry is one of the cohosts, it’s so funny to see his actual personality) and they talk a ton about the reality of the show and give their opinion of the builds.

You have the most amazing finale ahead of you for sure.

E: I went through the effort of finding the link then promptly forgot to paste it. https://twitch.tv/iambilsy

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 17, 2023

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I saw the US had their Christmas special out and got excited over the prospect of AU Bricksmas… and they’re not doing it this year.

Tree gone back in the box. Christmas ruined. Hopefully it means the next season is close tho.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

They aired a new promo last night during Married at First Sight showing the teams and some of the builds from the floor, it looks to be a fun one again. Hyped. It’s not on their insta yet annoyingly.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

6x01 is out, and a great start imo.

Not gonna lie, I wish it was 3 new AU teams plus Jackson/Alex as they weren’t able to do last season, but I’m looking forward to seeing the newbies too.

Definitely the right top two, and winner picked. Was hoping the French would fall harder into a natural villain role and fight Brickman more, but obviously knew you can’t ignore the judge.

I remember reading either here or somewhere else that the American team isn’t super high regarded? I wonder why they didn’t go for a season winner, obviously with some of the other countries you need a pair that can speak English for the TV side, but the US should have that part covered at least.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That’s fair, maybe they truly were the best option! I’m kinda surprised they did work out broadcast rights for the competing countries tbh, I guess they don’t want the world to realise what they’re missing out on by not having Hamish be their host ;)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://southhemitv.com/2024/04/14/lego-masters-6-1/

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yessss I’m glad someone else noticed that too. I’m not sure how happy I would’ve been if hot dog car hadn’t won, because the damage was being caused by disqualified opponents at that point. She totally should’ve avoided everyone and gotten over the like in one piece though.

I thought it was a pretty fun episode personally, and tsk that the internationals don’t know best friend of the shoe Sophie Munk.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The second they said they were proud of their build, I knew they were done.

Also thought Brickman should’ve held it against the Germans for pairing that subject/genre together. They did a good job of it, but it was a cop out to essentially pick a theme that is already instilled in that subject.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

PostNouveau posted:

Some thoughts on the first episode:

Woo boy did the professional Lego builder not deliver on her first build.

Yeah, I was so ready for some A grade building from her and… it’s not really transpired.

The main thing I’m hoping from an Australian team is seeing visible improvements as the season goes on, it’s happened before and I’m praying it happens again.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The way the table was presented in the judging comparison, it felt like the expectation was to do the plant pot on it also. It felt like they scraped through on a technicality and being smart enough to pick something Sophie wouldn’t even assume was a valid choice. The French not taking the advice to change their mind and start again cost them that tho, really.

Last nights Robot Wars/Battlebots episode was fun! The matches were legit exciting and it was a great result.

Also the preview for tonight’s episode shows we have an exciting, new celebrity guest to look forward to just kidding, it’s best friend of the show Sophie Munk again. I love that they’re just using her for everything now. Sad we’ve not had Jordi at all this year though.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

God my memory is so bad, yes of course.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I was really hoping someone would do a minifig scale entry with a ton of little things going on like we’ve seen in years past. Whether it would be more impressive to the general public, who knows, but those are always my favorite storytelling builds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It was a deserved win, even Brickman thought they had no shot with the time, and when it was revealed I just couldn’t work how they just did so much. Really impressive.

Thought the Germans were a lock from the word go, but think they kinda played the finale a bit safe while the other two teams went all out.