Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
I too remember hearing the mountain of praise that the film received, wanting to believe in Sofia Coppola, and then subjecting myself to a Lifetime movie starring good actors as petulant, xenophobic adults.

I can understand the broad appeal however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Red Ryder posted:

I disagree with the criticism that the protagonists of this or any movie must be morally justified

I agree with your disagreement.

There are many great films which show the protagonist as unreliable, amoral or just flat unconcerned.

However in character-driven romances, maybe more-so than other genres, having a relatable party puts a dog in the fight for the audience. Drama only really works when the audience can empathize and relate to the characters, and romance only works when there is the capacity for love and awe.

If you are disgusted with the characters, you have a failure to launch.

TheOmegaWalrus fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 5, 2020

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit

Red Ryder posted:

Is it "relatable" when Romeo and Juliet kill themselves?

Have you ever seen Romeo and Juliet performed by overweight, unkempt actors?

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Instead of relentlessly making GBS threads over a title with nothing else to offer, I'm deciding to praise Ghost World for being the movie Lost in Translation tried to be.

It came out two years earlier, also stars Scarlett Johansson along with Thora Birch and Steve Buscemi.

The themes of social isolation, age-gap romances and *holds nose* ennui are similar but more impactful, I found.

Trading Japan for bumfuck-any-small town USA trades thinly-veiled racism for honest cultural criticism, and dips a toe into that teenage angst "Catcher in the Rye" reservoir too.

I found both sides more of the romance relatable as well. I've known characters like those in Ghost World my whole life, they are real to me while the two travelers in LoT feel like fickle tourists.