Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
They are both depressed and dissatisfied characters who are largely walking around numb. Them not feeling a whole lot about Tokyo (which is an awesome city that I hope to someday visit) is kind of the point.

Also one of the biggest "charms" (I say charms, but it's definitely played ambiguously) of the movie is the April/November not-quite-romance but not-quite-friendship between the characters. It was interesting. As I get older I can see the appeal of socially hanging out with someone much younger than me, not for lust but just to remember and reconnect with that kind of youthful energy and potential. Of course if the person you are hanging out with is a beautiful woman and you're in an unhappy marriage it might cause problems. I do think Bob ends up sleeping with the singer as a sort of outlet for his lustful feelings for Charlotte, and that he's not respectable. I think that's lousy behavior.

I don't think Lost in Translation is a great movie, or even a particularly good one. I guess I would compare it to a song I didn't like much that had one killer riff I enjoyed, which was the idea of two lonely people who had become lost in a bunch of different ways (their own lives, a foreign city, their own feelings) sharing a brief connection. I found that to be authentic. The rest? Eh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

The_Continental posted:

No, I just lack the ability to enjoy this particular movie because I find the characters to be unlikable. I can absolutely relate to the ennui of constant travel, which I stated. I just find both of their actions as inappropriate considering they are two married people. It sort of breaks the film for me.

I'm wondering how old you are, because as the decades go by your definitely going to have married friends who cheat. It's just a depressingly common thing, two guys I know who I never thought would do that poo poo, did that poo poo. Both of them were very unhappy in their marriage at the time. It just seems like one of those human things that some people can't resist...like how it's easy for some people to quit smoking (my wife) but others just can't do it (her best friend).