Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

The worst submarine posted:

i lurk c-spam for the funny pictures and the trump laughs, seeing all the bernie-or-busters made me upset because i didn't understand. thanks to Jewel Repetition I get it a little now, but not voting still feels like a silly position. obviously a lot of people here really feel like it's the correct non-silly position, so there's a disconnect!

based on posts here and a talk with a nojoe friend this is my short list of logical reasons to skip voting:
1. biden is as bad as trump
2. trump is not that bad
3. if biden is elected all future dems will be similar to biden (bad)
4. only if biden is not elected and trump wins then a progressive candidate could win 2024 (accelerationism?)
5. voting doesnt matter

right now i have the opposite stance on all of these issues, if someone wants to add their own reason or has stuff I can read/listen/watch outside this forum to better understand it would be appreciated.

You shouldn't vote for Joe Biden because he's a child molesting racist, hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
personally I feel that everyone should have a solid "no child molesters" policy on who they vote for but I'm an uneducated white from the south (aka megahitler) so :shrug:

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

i lurk c-spam for the funny pictures and the trump laughs, seeing all the bernie-or-busters made me upset because i didn't understand. thanks to Jewel Repetition I get it a little now, but not voting still feels like a silly position. obviously a lot of people here really feel like it's the correct non-silly position, so there's a disconnect!

based on posts here and a talk with a nojoe friend this is my short list of logical reasons to skip voting:
2. trump is not that bad
4. only if biden is not elected and trump wins then a progressive candidate could win 2024 (accelerationism?)
5. voting doesnt matter

right now i have the opposite stance on all of these issues, if someone wants to add their own reason or has stuff I can read/listen/watch outside this forum to better understand it would be appreciated.

I think you need to come to grip with the fact that the USA is the bad guys.

Biden Is Trump with a mask of decorum. Trump is a more fitting president for us because it tells the world the truth: they should not look to us for leadership or assistance in saving the earth. Trump is like a giant "WARNING - TOXIC" label on our country and affixing that label is the moral thing to do.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

2. trump is not that bad
5. voting doesnt matter

Look at it this way, lesser evil is not working currently. If you give your vote by default, then the party doesn't need to actually address your needs because they already have your vote. We have less than a decade of elections left to deal with that climate change problem, and we got a whole slew of problems to fix in addition. Basically, we need to show we're necessary and we have demands that need to be met, and we can't do that while supporting a candidate counter to our interests. That's the politics game reason. The moral reason is jesus gently caress, he was awful when his brain was working, I can't vote or support this elder abuse of someone who is clearly sundowning.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

2. trump is not that bad
5. voting doesnt matter

1. in a vacuum, biden is not as bad as trump, even if he's really bad.
2. trump is bad but in many regards he's at least, the least bad modern day republican president
3. true
4. also true, probably AOC
5. sure it does

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

2. trump is not that bad
5. voting doesnt matter

1. When people say Biden's as bad as Trump it is, in most cases, exaggeration for effect. But the difference between Trump and Biden is much, much smaller than it should be
2. As far as Republican presidents go, Trump isn't exceptional, and compared to his predecessor GWB, he's done significantly less damage
3. Parties do adjust based on who wins and who loses presidential contests. This has happened constantly in history but the most recent examples are Republicans become more Trumplike/populist, at least in rhetoric, and Democrats adopting more Bernie talking points after 2016 (though not nearly enough). The most nefarious example, under the shadow of which we're still living, is Democrats becoming "third way" after Bill Clinton won in 1992
4. It has been over a century since a US president willingly stopped at 4 years, and sitting presidents are not primaried. Despite Biden's mental decline he doesn't seem likely to up and die (see Reagan). So yes, him being elected this year would almost certainly prevent a progressive candidate from winning in 2024
5. Voting does matter

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward

2. trump is not that bad
5. voting doesnt matter

The main argument is leverage. Literally the only reason centrists are constantly touted as more "electable" is because moderates/independents make it very well known that they will take their votes elsewhere if you ignore them. As a result the DNC ist more interested in catering to Republicans than their own left wing. That's hosed up. If Biden succeeds, it will send the message that this is a winning strategy. The Democrats have absolutely no reason to embrace progressive reform after that, and they never will.

Also it's obvious that the DNC is at the very least complicit in voter suppression so as far as I'm concerned they can go gently caress themselves.

The worst submarine
Apr 26, 2010

thank you all for the considerate replies, I'll make sure to read & give them thought soon (not having a good day today) ❤️

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

• Pushed us into the Iraq War. Is a fan of Eternal War. (Although he himself is a 5-time draft dodger.)
• Created barriers to bankruptcies for poor people.
• Made student loans immune from bankruptcies.
• Tried to kill social security. (Four times.)
• Pushed the Crime Bill, explicitly moved to expand the prison population. (Including stopping parole, and trying to ban bail.)
• Helped push the US into having the highest per-capita prison population in the world.
• Is pushing for oil industry fracking (still, in 2020).
• Completely anti-womens choice (Anti Roe-Wade, Pro-Hyde, publically claims women do not have rights to their own bodies).
• Pushed various "No Child Left Behind" stuff while making fun of poor children.
• Drafted the original PATRIOT Act. (Under another name.)
• Anti-privacy, pro-surveillance state.
• Also anti-encyption (presumably because his friends in the banks dont want to be held accountable, and his friends in the police state hate it).
• Pro War on Drugs. (Actually was the one pushing Reagan to the right on this. Pushed the RAVE Act.)
• Pro Death Penalty. (Actively worked to expand the death penalty.)
• Claims cannabis is a "gateway drug" and wants to go back to the no-brakes War on Poors Drugs.

Biden is objectively worse than Trump.

That is in no way defending Trump. Its just that Trump is a self-centered evil, not a strategic evil.

Biden is also a lifelong racist. He is so bad that henry Kissinger was trying to teach him ethics.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/the-us-has-no-obligation-biden-fought-to-keep-vietnamese-refugees-out-of-the-us

quote:

"Kissinger said there were “Vietnamese to whom we have an obligation,” but Biden responded: “I will vote for any amount for getting the Americans out. I don’t want it mixed with getting the Vietnamese out.” "

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

thank you all for the considerate replies, I'll make sure to read & give them thought soon (not having a good day today) ❤️

senidn sum <3 your way

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

when you cast your vote you're endorsing a certain programme and accepting your place as a part of a coalition of interests represented by the candidate or party. the sanders project very much is to try and reform that coalition away from the financial sector and over to labour and a broader civil society engagement. this is very risky, in part because of the outsized power of capital in influencing american elections through the mass media concerns, professional ideologues in think tanks and straight-up paid advertising, but it's necessary because the financial sector is never going to accept a precedent being established for just removing huge revenue streams. i suspect that a lot of the electability concerns are actually about this - an assertion that capital's position in american politics is unassailable. these people are effectively accepting that the usa is a one-party state and think anyone believing different are naive.

joe biden, beyond just accepting financial services as part of the democratic coalition, has been their champion over many years. if one supports the sanders realignment of american politics, joe biden is the biggest enemy available and his victory a disaster

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://twitter.com/KThomasDC/status/1239386937741508610

thank you Joe

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Maya Fey posted:

If Obama lead directly to Trump what kind of republican do you think comes after 4 years of austerity under Biden

Dear Leader Tom Cotton

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Biden's health plan is so bad it would actively damage the M4A movement by making people hate "government involvement in healthcare" more

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Forceholy posted:

Dear Leader Tom Cotton

Supreme Letter Lyin' Ted

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Still waiting for the dehumanization

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Lawman 0 posted:

Still waiting for the dehumanization

I dehumanized when I looked at the Super Tuesday polls and rehumanized when I made the Nojoe thread

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

anyone ever notice that we don't hear about many protesters at bernie sanders events?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Well that Nazi...

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

And BLM 4 years ago, i'm sure there are many many more

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:

taqueso posted:

Well that Nazi...

Oh no
Not the Nazi vote.
HOW WILL HE WIN WITHOUT THAT

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
In November I am voting for Joe Biden, because I am the last NeverTrump Republican on earth (who doesn’t work for the New York Times)

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

General Dog posted:

In November I am voting for Joe Biden, because I am the last NeverTrump Republican on earth (who doesn’t work for the New York Times)

Rude

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

General Dog posted:

oh my god

he's real

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

applying for $20 million dollar grant from the smithsonian to build a protected, enclosed habitat so that we can safeguard the last remaining nevertrump republican

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
We need to be focusing on targeted tax credits for people in economically developing areas.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Chuka Umana posted:

We need to be focusing on targeted tax credits for people in economically developing areas.

I hear wall street is a economically struggling area

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

That's what my constituents are telling me

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Okay, but none of you can deny the basic facts that the primary electorate rejected Bernie is every way.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

General Dog posted:

im voting for trumo to counteract your vote owned b*tch

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Chuka Umana posted:

Okay, but none of you can deny the basic facts that the primary electorate rejected Bernie is every way.

except for those states he won and the fact young people overwhelmingly voted for him

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Percelus posted:

except for those states he won and the fact young people overwhelmingly voted for him

Young people are the most unreliable voting bloc, any strategy built on youth turnout is going to fail unfortunately.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Chuka Umana posted:

This but ironically

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Chuka Umana posted:

Young people are the most unreliable voting bloc, any strategy built on youth turnout is going to fail unfortunately.

the strategies based on old people arent working either.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Chuka Umana posted:

you are greatly underestimating cspam posters' powers of denial, one of the many blessings of the holy brain worms

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Chuka Umana posted:

How wrong you are. Denied.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Humans are amazing creatures who can deny anything!

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Chuka Umana posted:

u can't stop me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Chuka Umana posted:

Bernie lost the primary but "in every way" implies either that every demographic voted against him or that people are against all of his policies