Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

You when you read my posts:
Yeah, he lost the primaries, and you know what, I'll even hazard it would have happened without all the ratfucking and support reordering surrounding them because this country prefers entertaining mushbrains to be in charge, but he also repeatedly wins out in the "Who would defeat Trump in a primary?" or "Would you rather vote for [Dem candidate] or Trump" polls. The problem is that for Bernie to actually be in that position where he would win out against Trump (which assumes that those higher percentages would also follow lines with electoral college votes, I'd really like to know if there's a state-by-state breakdown of those polls), he has to get through a voting process that dislikes him because he poses a threat to the way they live their lives, or at least believes he does. He, as a candidate, is doomed to always have mass appeal but not nearly enough of it within the party that has to let him through to the actual competition. He's a baseball player that never gets to bat because he holds the bat a little differently from everyone else and the coach really doesn't like that, even though almost every time he's up the ball goes out of the park. I think that coach needs to be fired because he's an rear end in a top hat that thinks he's playing it safe when he doesn't actually understand what's happening and keeps making wrong choices for the team (also he's getting kickbacks to constantly fail so he's still coming out ahead), but I also don't want the other team to win, and for some reason they might have to for us to be able to get rid of this idiot coach.

Basically I'm saying I loving hate baseball, and there should be a massive movement to get rid of the Democrat Party, which will probably never happen.

Also sorry if the numbers don't back me up anymore, those are what I remember all those polls being though.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

If I'm gonna get someone who is gonna gun for my Social Security Disability, it might as well be Trump... instead of actively voting against my best interests.

Also, its not that they ratfucked bernie in terms of fairness, it's that bernie's plans were such that i would be secure in SSD, and if I got a job I would have healthcare that covered my shots. They ratfucked that.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
I think Bernie supporters are making three massive assumptions about the voting public:

a. people can make a connection between public policy and their everyday lives, and when Bernie talks about class issues working class people can identify themselves as working class.
b. that someone who supports an ambiguous "medicare for all" or "free college education" option on a poll means that they support Bernie's position.
c. that those people who do like Bernie Sanders will all bother to show up to vote.

You're making a dramatic assumption that when people intake stimulus they can contextualize it and develop an opinion on it based on a preset ideological belief.

If Bernie was actually able to inspire a broad movement around him, the results of the primaries wouldn't have actually mattered all that much.

Chuka Umana has issued a correction as of 01:15 on Mar 19, 2020

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Chuka Umana posted:

I think Bernie supporters are making three massive assumptions about the voting public:

a. people can make a connection between public policy and their everyday lives, and when Bernie talks about class issues working class people can identify themselves as working class.
b. that someone who supports an ambiguous "medicare for all" or "free college education" option on a poll means that they support Bernie's position.
c. that those people who do like Bernie Sanders will all bother to show up to vote.

You're making a dramatic assumption that when people intake stimulus they can contextualize it and develop an opinion on it based on a preset ideological belief.

If Bernie was actually able to inspire a broad movement around him, the results of the primaries wouldn't have actually mattered all that much.

Are we discussing whether he will win here? Because it's pretty obvious he won't. And yes his ideas are more important than the results of the primary. Great as he is, he's just one guy

Also lol at the idea that people can't make connections between public policy and their lives. Explains a lot about succdem strategies

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Jon Do posted:

If I'm gonna get someone who is gonna gun for my Social Security Disability, it might as well be Trump... instead of actively voting against my best interests.

Also, its not that they ratfucked bernie in terms of fairness, it's that bernie's plans were such that i would be secure in SSD, and if I got a job I would have healthcare that covered my shots. They ratfucked that.

Trump is actually a safer bet for SSD, because if he attacked it at least Dems would rally against him. Whereas when Biden would go for his grand bargain there'd be no resistance on either side of the aisle

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

General Dog posted:

In November I am voting for Joe Biden, because I am the last NeverTrump Republican on earth (who doesn’t work for the New York Times)

Ah, this explains literally everything about you and your terrible posting

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Jewel Repetition posted:

Also lol at the idea that people can't make connections between public policy and their lives. Explains a lot about succdem strategies

Provide me a single scrap of evidence that voter choice and party identification is based on effects of said party's public policy.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Chuka Umana posted:

Provide me a single scrap of evidence that voter choice and party identification is based on effects of said party's public policy.

Party identification correlates, according to polling, with favoring almost every policy in the Democratic and Republican 2016 platforms

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
the thing about bernie is, he brings in people who don't normally vote in elections. that doesn't matter to the democrats as they have selectively decided they don't want those people (lefties, poor whites, other degenerates)

edit: nevermind the youth vote, always described generation over generation as "fickle" because they vote for A and get B so ragequit politics

Peanut President has issued a correction as of 03:14 on Mar 19, 2020

Morbus
May 18, 2004

The worst submarine posted:

i lurk c-spam for the funny pictures and the trump laughs, seeing all the bernie-or-busters made me upset because i didn't understand. thanks to Jewel Repetition I get it a little now, but not voting still feels like a silly position. obviously a lot of people here really feel like it's the correct non-silly position, so there's a disconnect!

based on posts here and a talk with a nojoe friend this is my short list of logical reasons to skip voting:
1. biden is as bad as trump
2. trump is not that bad
3. if biden is elected all future dems will be similar to biden (bad)
4. only if biden is not elected and trump wins then a progressive candidate could win 2024 (accelerationism?)
5. voting doesnt matter

right now i have the opposite stance on all of these issues, if someone wants to add their own reason or has stuff I can read/listen/watch outside this forum to better understand it would be appreciated.

Both the Democratic party and the GOP are our enemies. The GOP is the worse enemy, but the Dems are the more vulnerable one, and the one we are best positioned to change / replace. It's not just a question about the 2020 presidential election, it's about how best to conduct an ongoing struggle against both parties.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
keep voting assholes

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Homeless Friend posted:

keep voting assholes

I'm reloading

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Chuka Umana posted:

Why would you use past tense here?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Peanut President posted:

the thing about bernie is, he brings in people who don't normally vote in elections. that doesn't matter to the democrats as they have selectively decided they don't want those people (lefties, poor whites, other degenerates)

edit: nevermind the youth vote, always described generation over generation as "fickle" because they vote for A and get B so ragequit politics

the dem party thinks of certain voters as “theirs” and blames them for failing the party when they dont turn up to vote. bernie tries to convince people that they should vote, and vote for him, because his ideas align w their values. the dems party is genuinely annoyed that he doesnt “donate” “his” voters up to the party, because they think that he can just do that—just tell voters what to do because they are on his team and he is the team leader.

the complaints about him not really being a dem are partially rooted in this—that he is “stealing” their voters or putting up a barrier to those voters doing what they demographically “should” do, which is vote for the dem nominee reliably. the other, related part of the complaint is from the party having a v corporate middle management culture, where you earn yr promotions and raises by service to the institution and not making trouble. bernie (and aoc + other surprise primary winners in machine states) offend that sense because they jump in line and disrupt the careerist order by actually persuading voters

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Homeless Friend posted:

keep voting assholes

wearing my ring for the goatse party

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

This guy wrote a good piece about how the olds want our energy but not our values
https://twitter.com/SeanRMoorhead/status/1240427531347480576
I'll be tear drinking and grave dancing regardless of who wins in november :wave:

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

Joe Biden gave Quentin Tarantino and Joss Whedon their foot fetishes. He is funneling all his campaign money into funding a film they're co-creating that's just feet talking to each other.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/ericbradner/status/1240363525027123201
This tweet is like a political rorschach test. If you're a bernie supporter you're reaction is :rock: if you're a Biden lich it's :stonk:

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Homeless Friend posted:

keep voting assholes

HerniaFlange
Aug 4, 2013

I'm reloading my rear end in a top hat.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Koishi Komeiji posted:

This guy wrote a good piece about how the olds want our energy but not our values
https://twitter.com/SeanRMoorhead/status/1240427531347480576
I'll be tear drinking and grave dancing regardless of who wins in november :wave:

wow osaka is a genious

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

so when the DNC inevitably gets hacked again how hilariously blatant do you think the scale-thumbing talk in their emails is gonna be

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

so when the DNC inevitably gets hacked again how hilariously blatant do you think the scale-thumbing talk in their emails is gonna be
I expect nothing less than Enron-level poo poo.

"Oh hey we 'accidentally' sent 150 voting machines to... whogivesafuck... looks like bernie territory has to deal with only having 3 machines right?"

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Maya Fey posted:

wow osaka is a genious

I was worried about her but she turned out all right in the end.

https://twitter.com/proustmalone/status/1240735346956042242
Joe Biden is worse than trump.

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
We choose truth over fats

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Koishi Komeiji posted:

https://twitter.com/ericbradner/status/1240363525027123201
This tweet is like a political rorschach test. If you're a bernie supporter you're reaction is :rock: if you're a Biden lich it's :stonk:

Bernie Sanders used a curse word? Well I never.

Better vote for Joe “decency and integrity” Biden when I request my absentee ballot

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

The virgin Biden:
https://twitter.com/karavoght/status/1241074119267016706

The Chad sanders:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

is there video evidence that biden said these things?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
joe biden is a rapist

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

joe biden is a rapist

it worked for the incumbent

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

taqueso posted:

it worked for the incumbent

Oh man, they really think accusations of hypocrisy work in the general.

When both sides are bad, people vote republican or don't vote

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Koishi Komeiji posted:

I was worried about her but she turned out all right in the end.

https://twitter.com/proustmalone/status/1240735346956042242
Joe Biden is worse than trump.

I hate him especially how he uses the same tactics that Trump uses such as repeating the same lie again and again.

Universal healthcare would be worse than for profit healthcare!

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
I DISAVOW THIS THREAD AND EVERYTHING IT STANDS FOR.

I WILL NOT BE VOTING FOR JOE BIDEN IN THE ELECTION.

MODS LOCK PLS

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Y

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
I have news that will lead to the arrest of Joe Biden.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I want biden to campaign from jail

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

Chuka Umana posted:

MODS LOCK PLS

Thank you.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Chuka Umana posted:

MODS LOCK PLS

Wimp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Chuka Umana posted:

MODS LOCK PLS

Welcome, brother.