Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Loosely based on the events behind the 2013 documentary The Institure where 10,000 people became involved in "The Game of Nonchalance" in San Francisco, Dispatches from Elsewhere is a new limited series created, written, directed and starring Jason Segel. The first two episodes ("Peter" and "Simone") have already aired and subsequent episodes will air Monday nights after Better Call Saul.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EUCA0rUZXg

Cast:

Jason Segel: Peter

Eve Lindley: Simone

Sally Field: Janice

Andre Benjamin: Fredwynn

Richard E Grant: Octavio Coleman Esq

I know Segel has written stuff before but this is his first big directing project and I have to say he did a bang up job with the first episode. Instead of trying to explain the premise I would say just check out the first episode blind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Xf3WRhjNjc
First episode from AMC's official channel, probably won't be up forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Just checked out the first 2 episodes and so far it is sufficiently weird and cool

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
First two episodes down and it’s a bit too overly quirky at times but it’s still very enjoyable and well-shot and intriguing.

Also, Richard E. Grant is totally the voice of the Elsewhere leader too, right?

e: ok yeah that’s really obvious isn’t it

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Mar 4, 2020

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm liking it so far. They're doing a cool job utilizing Philadelphia in the show as a whole and I like when media exists as a love letter to a city. Haven't watched tonight's third ep yet but I'm interested to see the Jejune/Elsewhere dichotomy from Janice's perspective.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

First two episodes down and it’s a bit too overly quirky at times but it’s still very enjoyable and well-shot and intriguing.

Also, Richard E. Grant is totally the voice of the Elsewhere leader too, right?

e: ok yeah that’s really obvious isn’t it

Except I guess not? I mean it is clearly Richard E Grant but they both showed up at the same place at the same time. It'll be interesting to see how far Fredwynn goes in breaking the game by getting behind the curtain, unless they planned for that too.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Really enjoying this show so far

Simone is the best but I'm looking forward to Fredwynn's episode

Every time I see Richard E. Grant on screen I think about how Werner Herzog would have been in the role.

e: also Sally Field is still great and cute as a bug at 74

isaboo fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 14, 2020

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Andre 3000 is so good in this, drat

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

Everyone is so good in this, drat

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Seriously though I am absolutely loving this show and every episode has just been better than the last.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Loving it too, I'm really starting to get excited for it every week.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
F to the Red to the Wynn is awesome

I love Andrew Benjamin's voice. I could listen to him read anything.

This show rules.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm Fredora Intern.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Has anyone seen the documentary film the show is inspired by? The Institute

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Jason Segel’s appearance with Stephen Colbert is what got me to try the show.

https://youtu.be/AKXWG_sfV1c

Just finished episode 4, and it is so bizarre and compelling. I really want to see what the resolution of everything is going to be. Is it really just a game with random participants, or is there something more there.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I should not have gotten high for this episode

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Peter quitting his job was fun. They did the "work stuff, work stuff" talk in his episode too.

Maybe I'm just paranoid but I do kind of wonder if Simone's professor isn't in on it some way too and the picture of Clara from 20 years ago could still be a plant. I want to believe that its all true but it is hard with all we've seen so far.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Ep 6 was the best episode yet. Much better blend of Clara with present/real(?) time than ep5. I love all the characters.

They're focusing on Fredwynn's chocolate milk enough that it makes me think it's related to all the rest of the milk we're seeing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This is extremely loving good poo poo

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I don't think it is supposed to be chocolate milk but instead some kind of Soylent esque food drink.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I guess the thing I'm wondering after this week's episode is if they are still in the game, just another level. Because this seems oddly personalized for something that should be random.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm completely dumbfounded as to why this show/thread isn't getting more love around here. It's so absolutely amazing. And I'm pretty sure I'm in love with Simone.

PopetasticPerson
Jun 18, 2006
I gotta agree, especially since it follows BCS. I'll admit there's probably not a ton of audience overlap but I love them both. This show is just so charming it's hard not to like.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think some people (understandably) don't like Jason Segel, and to be fair he's certainly the weakest character so far, but considering he created/directed/wrote much of the show, I'm impressed enough.

Fredwynn is so drat good though, and I had no idea that was Andre 3000

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I would say that Peter and Simone are the strongest characters on the show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Have to wonder what is going on with the facepaint kid since that was the second time he's shown up. Also thought it was interesting that the Peter/Fredwynn part started off with them going over stuff that we the audience didn't actually get to see since we weren't following Fredwynn and Janice during that part of their game.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I didn't realise this thread existed and made another one. I've closed it now but it was there for several weeks and a few people posted in it, and it's still there if you want to see what was said.

Also this show is (still) great.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Imagine being in this game and choosing to side with Jejune

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

On My Own. Awesome

PopetasticPerson
Jun 18, 2006
Elegant Squatch definitely saved the day. Also I think that was the best karaoke scene in a TV show since The Leftovers.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Poque posted:

Imagine being in this game and choosing to side with Jejune

Remember that Janice and Fredwynn had a whole day where they saw the good side of Jejune where they used their money to fund stuff like hospitals and schools. We've just mostly stuck with the Elsewhere perspective.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So that was definitely an episode.

OTC
Oct 20, 2012
For some reason I thought there were only 8 episodes and I'm super-psyched to have more.

Not much I feel the need to discuss though, other than everything about this is wonderful.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That scene where Simone explains to Peter why she can’t date him was fantastic.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Escobarbarian posted:

That scene where Simone explains to Peter why she can’t date him was fantastic.

Yeah that was really really good and a little heartbreaking, but very realistic. I'm glad that we got an episode of them having to leave the "reality" of the game, because that sort of thing would absolutely leave a void and I like seeing the characters all have to react to it.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I guess it’s telling that Simone has had to be so protective of herself, that she can’t recognize the need to be careful with other people’s vulnerabilities. Her comments were pretty cruel, but realistic.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I was watching Better Call Saul but someone left this show in after it was over on the file, either on purpose or by accident.

Watching this show without having any idea about it and totally by accident while baked as gently caress is like the ultimate way to experience it.

The narration kind of reminds me of the Series of Unfortunate Events on Netflix or Douglas Adams.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I’m so confused

OTC
Oct 20, 2012
Oh yeah, that's the stuff.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I have no idea what the payoff is going to be, and generally that would be a bad sign for a penultimate episode. But in this case I actually think they're going to pull it off. I'm really eager to see this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

I don’t know what the gently caress, and I love it