Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ali x press to the rescue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
huh I don’t know why I didn’t check that. they have the connectors but not completed cables. I guess I could make my own but the premade adapters are 15-30 dollars on eBay so dunno

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
man so I fuckin love this epiphone extura

I got it on a whim because I’m stupid as gently caress like that and now I am watching reviews from people who know guitars and I’m pretty pleased with myself

nicest guitar I’ve ever played. might take it to a tech and get it nicely tuned etc up.

and got the mesa boogie mark IIC+ neural dsp

it’s taking a moment to work out how to dial it in but some of the presets are so good.

just wish I had decent speakers to hear it thru :cry: but thru headphones it’s very very nice

now I just gotta get good

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
is anyone else messing with eurorack video stuff

i am deep down a dark and expensive hole of synchronization hell and mid 90s mixers. I think I'm just recreating winamp visualizers, at an astronomical cost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0LfbEW_KAc

dumping money into lzxindustries doesn't bother me at all but I feel pretty silly buying VCRs and all this other composite gear that I used to own but junked. I'm up to like two or three camcorders now, one even sorta works. MiniDV!!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

but cool

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I think the lzx stuff is cool but it's so expensive I can't really encourage it unless you're pretty weird. People who have the weirdness and can support lars without starving or comitting too many crimes probably self select into it.

Mainbow & Wavecomber, on the other hand, are (by eurorack standards) super super cheap to the point that rackspace for them is more expensive if you solder them up yourself.

It's all composite 480i, where the lzx can spit out some high def modes (in analog composite). LZX seperates R/G/B color channels that can be modulated by brightness and contrast, and then encodes them, which I guess is basically how modern video works. As I have learned composite used a bunch of tricks to do what it did on 2 wires:

wikipedia posted:

The frequency spectrum of the modulated color signal overlaps that of the baseband signal, and separation relies on the fact that frequency components of the baseband signal tend to be near harmonics of the horizontal scanning rate, while the color carrier is selected to be an odd multiple of half the horizontal scanning rate; this produces a modulated color signal that consists mainly of harmonic frequencies that fall between the harmonics in the baseband luma signal, rather than both being in separate continuous frequency bands alongside each other in the frequency domain. The signals may be separated using a comb filter.[6] In other words, the combination of luma and chrominance is indeed a frequency-division technique, but it is much more complex than typical frequency-division multiplexing systems like the one used to multiplex analog radio stations on both the AM and FM bands.

A gated and filtered signal derived from the color subcarrier, called the burst or colorburst, is added to the horizontal blanking interval of each line (excluding lines in the vertical sync interval) as a synchronizing signal and amplitude reference for the chrominance signals. In NTSC composite video, the burst signal is inverted in phase (180° out of phase) from the reference subcarrier.

I was in AV club in high school but I never really understood or thought about how video worked at this level, because we were playing with mixers and chromakey and feedback, but not with actively glitching stuff out by pushing things outside of range.

anyway mainbow is cheap and Russell who makes them (ChromaCauldron on etsy) seems cool. It's like 250 assembled, 180 for a parts kit. Wavecomber is pretty easy to build, I've heard mainbow is a lot more soldering. Bonus points if you make a rack for one out of a still functional VCR or DVD player.

Mainbow is a 4-function block analog synthesizer with an encoder and decoder and audio input which provides 4 different modes of audio reactivity scaled to lzx voltage range. (Eurorack is much wider, lzx is unipolar 0-1v). It's inexpensive by the standards of any glitch video device, on par with a cheap desktop synth, and it does a lot of stuff. it's glitchy by design and necessity and some encoders will do weird things if you breathe on them. Using it as a sync source for a wider system, or attempting to, results in hilarious different kinds of frustrating nonsense. But it's bitchin cool

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1005042852/mainbow-analog-video-synth-eurorack

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jan 26, 2024

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cabbages and Kings posted:

is anyone else messing with eurorack video stuff

This is a fascinating concept but of course they figured out another way to sell more eurorack crap haha

Very cool though.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

An interesting thing is that unlike audio euro which mostly has correlates of some kind in desktop units and stuff, the modular video stuff is just the only way to skin that particular animal right now. Etsy abounds with standalone glitch processors and stuff, but there's very little in the way of actual synthesis in the traditional "oscillators being modulated to produce direct output" way.

It also doesn't need to be that expensive, ChromaCauldron stuff as I mentioned is great. The older LZX stuff is still pricey (I see gen2 Color Chords going for $500, when ESX matrix mixer is basically as good and is 399 new), but Syntonie has a whole set of stuff that's a lot more approachable and some if it can be done as DIY builds. As a comparison, TBC2 is the LZX gen3 video input/decoder, and it's a loving thousand dollars. It also has onboard display, memory, ability to store small video loops on board, and a ramp generator (type of video modulation signal gen).

The Syntonie thing is like $300 if you can get it at MSRP and is only one channel in, but, for the cost of TBC2 you could do an entire Syntonie encode/manipulate/decode chain. The new Syntonie stuff is also fully LZX3 compatible (these things are power hungry as gently caress, I have an extra LZX power supply inside a rackbrute just for the LZX stuff which can use euro power or 12v barrel connectors.

The "they" here is a very small group: LZX is basically Lars here in the US; Syntonie is more or less Bastien working overseas, and then you have lofifuture and a lot of people like that who make some cool stuff but seem to have trouble shipping on time.

Videoheadroom.systems is another direct LZX partner, they are making some cool stuff, it's a bit cheaper than LZX stuff but not much. They also make things LZX does not provide at present: LZX used to make a 5-channel envelope follower for audio manipulation. They don't have a gen3 one, yet, but VH.S has a 3-channel one called "sensory translator". Of course, all it really does is take inputs in high, med, low audio range and then provide envelope followers in the 0-1v range, so, if you have a decent amount of euro audio stuff you can cobble that together.

LFOs and stuff work fine, but when you get into trying to use audio CV mixers for video you land in glitch misery often because audio stuff only needs to work up to 20khz or so and video goes to 10mhz. None the less, because I am cheap despite dumping cash on this stuff, I have heavily experimented with this, and you can definitely get good results at least from Mainbow just using CV mixers (all the modulation here is QuadVCA being pumped with quadrax envelopes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQyresknSOE

Anyway I am probably talking too much. But, poo poo is fun! If you have 52hp free space get a mainbow they are cool as hell.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

got really high and think i had an epiphany about how radar might work last night, but with sound (so maybe echo location?)

you generate a basic tone, point it in a direction and then have a mic that is filtering out all tones except the frequency you emitted. if the mic picks up the tone then it means something is downrange bouncing it back to you

setup a horizontal and vertical grid of these emitter and mics each on their own frequency and now you have an array and enough resolution to render it as a picture

am i close to correctly understanding the fundamentals?

this came to me via an experiment with my new sound bar cuz it's got multiple speakers in a horizontal array and moving a balloon back and forth in front of the array at a distance of being on my couch- sound bounced off the balloon and to my ears in an interesting way

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Silver Alicorn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJbFMpiVPRM

final version :) I trimmed it down to the bone, same musical ideas but faster paced. filter envelopes are good. renoise rocks.

sounds rad. if you post the xrnx i will load it and check out your setup and nod in approval

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

made contact with some peeps at a local open mic, was cool, they wanna collaborate

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

KoRMaK posted:

got really high and think i had an epiphany about how radar might work last night, but with sound (so maybe echo location?)

you generate a basic tone, point it in a direction and then have a mic that is filtering out all tones except the frequency you emitted. if the mic picks up the tone then it means something is downrange bouncing it back to you

setup a horizontal and vertical grid of these emitter and mics each on their own frequency and now you have an array and enough resolution to render it as a picture

am i close to correctly understanding the fundamentals?

this came to me via an experiment with my new sound bar cuz it's got multiple speakers in a horizontal array and moving a balloon back and forth in front of the array at a distance of being on my couch- sound bounced off the balloon and to my ears in an interesting way

yeah, you measure the reflection at that azimuth/elevation and the time it took to measure the distance, though you're using phasing probably at those short distances,which isn't exactly the same

anyone have any recommendations on relearning cubase 12? i last used sx3 heavily and other than some basic ui similarities, i think the intended workflow is totally different

sidenote is how amazing motu still supports the fast lane usb-midi adapter, mine is just about 20 years old and they still make drivers for win11

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Is there anything particular Cubasey you are struggling with? Whilst I'm definitely no expert by any means it's been my DAW of choice since version 8 so I might be able to help?

Dom Sigalas and Chris Selim both tend to have solid videos on it as far as YouTube goes

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 2, 2024

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
February Album Writing Month begins!! https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/02-02-2024a

I'm thinking of doing it as a 3 way split this year, where I have one "band" be acoustic but with a synth, one is stoner doom-y, and one where I just grab whatever and make something. I have accumulated a bunch of random gear over the years including a Microkorg, a snare drum, a bunch of Volcas, a trombone, and a Boss HM-2 I got from a guitar teacher in 1995, so I don't know what genre this last one will end up being. I also have a bad cough that is really annoying. Dextromethorphan infused orchestral blackened egg punk?

I'm going to be using both Reaper and the Tascam DP-006, so the volume levels will be all over the place. How do you get a bunch of tracks to have the same volume so you don't have to keep messing with the volume when you play them?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

DJ Commie posted:

yeah, you measure the reflection at that azimuth/elevation and the time it took to measure the distance, though you're using phasing probably at those short distances,which isn't exactly the same

anyone have any recommendations on relearning cubase 12? i last used sx3 heavily and other than some basic ui similarities, i think the intended workflow is totally different

sidenote is how amazing motu still supports the fast lane usb-midi adapter, mine is just about 20 years old and they still make drivers for win11

so, i'm a 20 year cubase head. i'm literally very adept with it and know all the tricks. i was doing mixes in this mf in 1999.

i recently got back into composition/tracking heavily, and i installed the latest cubase and tried to navigate it

and you know what i did? i got bitwig.

it's 100x more modern and usable, theres enough baseline reverbs/2osc synths to sketch things out without addon plugins, and it runs fast as poo poo.

I think steinberg's day is over unless you're specifically hornt for notation

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010
So about a year ago I bought a new mixer (Numark Scratch) to get back into scratching after a 15 year break, and yesterday I finally got around to getting Serato DJ Pro set up with a control vinyl. I dunno how interested anyone here is in that sort of thing, but just in case I'm gonna effort post about it anyway.

The control vinyl seems good quality, its totally flat/centered, no issues there. The DJ Pro software is a mixed bag - on the plus side, once I plugged the Scratch into my laptop via USB, DJ Pro instantly worked exactly how I wanted, no setup. On the downside, it takes *ages* to load and quit on my M1 MBP, and the ui is pretty ugly & unintuitive, and extremely antisocially goes into fullscreen when you launch it. its also the first software I've had to grab the manual for basic stuff in a decade or more. That said, it's really snappy and fast, so no complaints once it's working.

As for the feel of stuff, it's weird. There's no noticeable latency at all, and no matter how slowly or quickly or weirdly or whatever I move the record, it's picked up perfectly. It's also pretty excellent being able to use any sample, whenever, at the touch of a button, and not having to worry about your favourite samples getting burnt (I'm deffo going so sample some horrendously burnt samples though). Having an immortal everlasting copy of Sealed Breaks is a dream come true. The sound quality is aaaalmost perfect, but there's something...missing? Perhaps it's because I'm using Uber-clean 'ahhhhs' etc things sound different, perhaps some top end is missing, I'm not sure. It's deffo different though. Not nesc bad, but different.

It's also killed some of the magic...like any musical instrument, sometimes removing limits actually subtracts from the experience in some way. I think it's worth it though.

The only annoying thing is that you can hear the control tone on the record. It's mostly ignorable with headphones on, particularly if there's sound coming through, but if you like to cut without headphones you're gonna want to turn your sound up.

effort post over. I'll try and work up the courage to post some practice sessions.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
dj toilet

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
bought a first-gen Mackie MS1202 (not my pic, its in shipment) for peanuts.

It apparently has an issue with background noise on all channels which is pointing to the power supply.
It's a super basic design using 7815/7915 and minimal smoothing.

I'm thinking of replacing the power supply completely since its on its own little board.
From looking at the schematic it only needs +15, -15 and 48V, with the 48V rail being regulated with a 43V Zener and a TIP29C.
Before doing that I'm wondering if there are better (with regards to noise) drop-in replacement for 78/79 series regulator?

Meh I might just rebuild it as-is and bump the smoothing caps up in value...

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I've spent this afternoon pissing around on my Roland T8 and it's a fun little box, so glad they added distortion, delay and reverb so you can psyche out without anything else.
Manually "playing" the slides or accents on the 303 is spicy

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I designed and rebuilt a very similar power supply board for an old behringer that i got for cheap that blew up. 48v and all. those linear regulators are extremely quiet if you keep them out of oscillation. 22u seems small for the filter caps.

also, keep in mind, that 48v is 99% most likely just for mic phantom power. if you dont need that you can just do the 15v section.

make sure the rectifier has snubber caps across the diodes too.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Yeah I might just replace the caps and regulators, sub the 22u for 47u, add snubber caps and just keep the rest as-is.
I don't need the phantom power tbh, but I figure I should take care of it while I'm there (it might be perfectly fine still)
Thanks Jonny!!

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wait now that im looking at it, isnt that diode there for protection in case the input dies and you have reverse current through the regulator?
I dont think adding a snubber would do anything during operation no?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
No no, the snubbers are for the full wave rectifier that's not depicted in your schematic. Those three lines on the left are for + / gnd / - DC input, from that rectifier. So before your schematic:

Something like this. Snubber caps damp the switching noise from the rectifier diodes as the input AC switches back and forth and they turn on and off. That's a big noise source on linear power supplies.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

that makes more sense, but wouldnt that be the job of the regulator to get rid of this presumably high freq noise?

i mean the extra 2 minutes and 79 cents it costs, its a no brainer I'm just trying to understand

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Linear regulators are basically sorta like active resistors. 100% of the difference between input and output voltage * current is dissipated as heat. But they're a transistor. there's a capacitance to them that means they don't perfectly instantly regulate. i.e if the noise on the front side is high enough frequency, they can't regulate it down fast enough to stamp it out. So you want to send them the least amount of garbage possible.

The high frequency noise input stuff is what makes them oscillate generally too. they'll start chasing the right voltage and get all hopped up on that syrup

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

got it, I'm excited to get it either this week or the next

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Jonny 290 posted:

so, i'm a 20 year cubase head. i'm literally very adept with it and know all the tricks. i was doing mixes in this mf in 1999.

i recently got back into composition/tracking heavily, and i installed the latest cubase and tried to navigate it

and you know what i did? i got bitwig.

it's 100x more modern and usable, theres enough baseline reverbs/2osc synths to sketch things out without addon plugins, and it runs fast as poo poo.

I think steinberg's day is over unless you're specifically hornt for notation

yeah after spending a few hours with 12 I'll have to say it's really a better tool for, let's say, scoring instead of a streamlined multi track recorder that has midi integration

i started on a 1/4" 8 track tape machine and early 4 track digital recorders, so workflow was overdubs/punching with emphasis on rarely ever using loops/samples unless played live (mpc buttons, minimal midi quantizing, or scratching live) and I did use stems and loops in making songs, it wasn't what I did in the final recorded versions which were tracked fully. Cubase had a good workflow for this as you could just plain track with it and use outboard midi device and effects easily but I could never get ableton to feel "organic" enough and I never got the hang of trying to track with ableton itself

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I needed a quick and dirty video for this track, so I stuck a cheap camera into the tortoise house. It seems to fit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7SioQ0Iis4

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo I am enjoying playing the guitar lately. helps having a guitar that is really nice to play

I think it could do with a bit of a tune up from a pro idk. at the very least I need to do something to the nut, I was finding it wasn’t staying in tune so well, despite having locking tuners which are meant to be the next best thing to a locking nut, but I am confident the strings are sticking in the nut, presumably you can file them out a touch or apply graphite idk? maybe even get a third party slippery nut

anyway I am getting satisfaction trying to play other peoples songs. when I muck about by myself it’s a bit of a mess, just noodling, but forcing myself to learn things that are harder than I play by myself is turning out to be a good thing

I’m trying to get under the bridge down, it’s not as bad as I remember it from when I tried to play as a kid, didn’t realise back then it was a lot of chord shapes, tab doesn’t tell you that. and the solo from comfortably numb which isn’t as hard as I maybe thought, apart from nailing those bends, david gilmour is so much about the feel, most of his solos don’t require fast moves across the board which I am poo poo at, so it’s a good start. ultimate thing to play will be intro to little wing

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 11, 2024

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

upgraded fl studio (lifetime updates) to get access to their new stem separation feature. was pretty fun checking it out and making drumless/vocalless versions of songs i want to practice with

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
renoise is the coolest daw and it's cheap

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

echinopsis posted:

poo poo I am enjoying playing the guitar lately. helps having a guitar that is really nice to play

I think it could do with a bit of a tune up from a pro idk. at the very least I need to do something to the nut, I was finding it wasn’t staying in tune so well, despite having locking tuners which are meant to be the next best thing to a locking nut, but I am confident the strings are sticking in the nut, presumably you can file them out a touch or apply graphite idk? maybe even get a third party slippery nut

anyway I am getting satisfaction trying to play other peoples songs. when I muck about by myself it’s a bit of a mess, just noodling, but forcing myself to learn things that are harder than I play by myself is turning out to be a good thing

I’m trying to get under the bridge down, it’s not as bad as I remember it from when I tried to play as a kid, didn’t realise back then it was a lot of chord shapes, tab doesn’t tell you that. and the solo from comfortably numb which isn’t as hard as I maybe thought, apart from nailing those bends, david gilmour is so much about the feel, most of his solos don’t require fast moves across the board which I am poo poo at, so it’s a good start. ultimate thing to play will be intro to little wing

locking tuners don’t make a whole lot of difference other than making string changes easier. it takes a lot of force to make a geared tuner slip. the easy way is to improve a nut is to lubricate the slots with graphene which you can get with a pencil.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Olivil posted:

locking tuners don’t make a whole lot of difference other than making string changes easier. it takes a lot of force to make a geared tuner slip. the easy way is to improve a nut is to lubricate the slots with graphene which you can get with a pencil.

tbh I was wondering how much difference they made coz I never really ever had slippage on the peg. just believed the hype lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its like 50-70 bucks to get yourself some files, a 64th inch ruler (sorry non americans thats how we set bridge height), a fretboard straightedge, some lemon oil and a set of leveling blocks and fret files to completely set up your own guiltar. videos are out there that show you exactly what to do

if you're going out of tune due to bends and whammy bar poo poo (take that thing off your guitar, its trashy crap imo) then yeah setting the nut up right is gonna be 90% of it. a proper locking nut is the other 10

e: only use the lemon oil on rosewood. maple fretboards dont need nothin

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this has a fixed bridge thankfully

this neck is ebony. I’ve got that lemon stuff somewhere

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
plus I can handle inches .been known to handle many inches :smugmrgw:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i bought a $119 ebay guitar thats a mix between a jaguar and a mustang, it played like dogshit, i set the neck properly and leveled/filed the frets and the thing plays like melty butter now. so good.

Also it's very important to set your pickup heights right, too far and your guitar is quiet and trash, too close and the magnets suck the sustain out of the strings

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ye. these are some kind of active pickups and tbh idk much about them. fisher fluence or something. I think they sound good but I don’t think they’re amplified passive pickups but something else?? idk haven’t found much that goes much into the workings of them. but I like them

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

laughed heartily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

I think I'm gonna replace my interface and DAW for a tascam model 12 + sequencer + drum machine/sampler