Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Jonny 290 posted:

laughed heartily

Ow oof ouch

Edit: what a terrible snipe(r break)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Jonny 290 posted:

laughed heartily

Heh... I can almost play the amen break a few times in a row without loving it up.

Almost.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
cope. amen break is immortal

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i said amen in church too many times to give a poo poo about a break

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m looking down the barrel of being super skint on disposable income so time to start learning to numb my pain with music and guitar and less booze :cry:

I preferred when I could do both

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have an axe I actually super like, a 5 octave midi keybaord, a two channel audio interface, ableton 11 lite and a huge fuckoff array of pirated vsts

there are no excuses

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
make music cactus man

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
mate lets jam

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also a few vsts which I legit own

the arturia synth collection thing I got for $100usd is actually incredible value, and pigments which is now v5 I think is super capable even if it doesn’t have a lot of warmth

the OB-Xd is a free vst and ngl it’s actually incredible

on the OB-Xd you’ve got these filter and envelope slop knobs. they’re great, the fattest saws known to man

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

im_sorry posted:

make music cactus man

I was just looking at my obscene cactus collection last night. I have many dozens. friend of mine has a legit peyote tho and that’s the dream, owning a peyote

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you can’t like own a plant man

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

echinopsis posted:

i said amen in church too many times and they told me to give it a break

ftfy

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

echinopsis posted:

you can’t like own a plant man

You don't actually own a plant... you own a piece of the plant.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

what's the modern day version of this? interface and processing hardware

is it usb interfaces? are enthusiast sound cards even a thing anymore, or is it just all a problem that onboard audio and multi core cpu's have solved?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah it's all just usb stuff now. my interface can do 18 inputs and 20 outputs at 48khz on usb2. plenty of bandwidth

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
its usb interfaces

enthusiast sound cards are either gaming poo poo or audiophile poo poo

maybe an rme pcie adat card with adat expansion like a behringer ada8200?

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

rme's madiface xt handles 384 channels over usb3 and they put the mic preamps at the end of the input list so you have to scroll every time

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I miss my original Gravis Ultrasound. I remember when I upgraded it from 256k to an entire megabyte, and holy poo poo, the DOOM soundtrack was awesome!

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
Finally used some of those Arturia effects I bought back in November. https://soundcloud.com/the_door_is_scary/02-16-2024a

Bullets n Rocks
May 10, 2007
Oh no! My rock jammed!
Lipstick Apathy
Been making techno/electronic stuff for about a year now, let me know what y'all think?

https://on.soundcloud.com/DBXPJ

This is done with a prophet rev2, Syntakt and a hydrasynth mostly plus some cymbal samples. No VSTs over here, not that I'm against them, they're just a bit tedious to sit there and click and drag knobs all day on. I used to be pretty much 100% acoustic guitar singer/songwriter so this is a big change for me, but I found a local dance scene where I live and I kinda fell deep into it.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Bullets n Rocks posted:

Been making techno/electronic stuff for about a year now, let me know what y'all think?

https://on.soundcloud.com/DBXPJ

This is done with a prophet rev2, Syntakt and a hydrasynth mostly plus some cymbal samples. No VSTs over here, not that I'm against them, they're just a bit tedious to sit there and click and drag knobs all day on. I used to be pretty much 100% acoustic guitar singer/songwriter so this is a big change for me, but I found a local dance scene where I live and I kinda fell deep into it.

Pretty cool! Now go grab a mandolin or something and add that next time.

(not trying to give orders or anything, but that's what I would do. :D )

I almost finished another track, but it needs snare drum and it's 10pm and I can't be loud. It'll have to wait until tomorrow.

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Feb 17, 2024

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Bullets n Rocks posted:

used to be pretty much 100% acoustic guitar singer/songwriter so this is a big change for me, but I found a local dance scene where I live and I kinda fell deep into it.

i did this except i was in skate punk/metal bands and they suddenly all started going to raves (it was for the drugs)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
now that i'm feeling better, starting on another remix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlic9qU9avw

176 bpm on the dot, perfect. (im using the album version but this video's more fun than the official MV)

Going to take a different approach this time. Instead of 'keep the song structure the same and replace all the instruments', i'm gonna nail down the key and bassline and chord changes, write a dnb track with those and get that in a good state and then put the vocals back in and chop them up a bit

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 19, 2024

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
Another quick and dirty jam with a quick and dirty video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAGeF140jPU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Olivil posted:

I think I'm gonna replace my interface and DAW for a tascam model 12 + sequencer + drum machine/sampler

it's so fun to see how you can get creative with minimalism, I like to see how far I could get with a few teenage engineering calculators, some volca units and a cassette portastudio

my non-daw rig is a peavey mkiii 16ch, a tascam 38 8-track 1/2" and a fostex model 80 with a bunch of early 80s rack effects units (midiverb, sdd-1000, dbx 160A, etc). i can make actual new wave* on period gear. sold the two boss ce-1s, juno 60 and tr707, kept the jx-3p and the deck above

wild i paid $1500 for all that gear out of a shed before it all went to the dump

*it came from a 1983-ish home studio in pasadena so it certainly did

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I've been playing around with Renoise again today and it's so fun. Although I'm trying to be purposeful it's like a happy accident machine

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it's very fun hell yeah

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Anybody here has a modern MPC? Wonder if it would make a good rhythm machine and hardware MIDI sequencer for a mono and a polysynth. It would be slaved to another clock and everything would be mixed (and recorded) elsewhere. This doesn't seem to be the way most people do these things with the MPC so I'm wondering if it's a stupid idea to begin with. You can get a used MPC One for so cheap that it would be great if it worked.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
I love this cheap camera. Too bad it has a battery life of about ten minutes if I use it immediately after it finishes charging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s8D2ZGDLkM

I also set up a rig for livestreaming. It's running Mint Linux, and the hardware is a spare ATM core that was going to get scrapped. I just need bravery now.

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 27, 2024

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
i have a live II and yes it does everything but it feels too close to a daw to me and i already have a daw and haven't used it in over a year so i'm probably going to sell it. for more than a used One tho i'm afraid sorry

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

If it's a retro styled Live II I could be down to clown. I'm in Canada though, full disclosure.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
just a regular black one, sorry

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020
jonesing for a analog rytm

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Kernel Sanders posted:

jonesing for a analog rytm

leave me out of this

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

someone got me something musjc related for my birthday 👀expect a post later

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

well I gotta get used to the smaller keys now hehe

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i got one o them. its good fun. just the right size to sit on my lil keyboard perch above the actual computer keeb

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i have a launchkey mini mk3, which as far as i know is the same thing pretty much. i thought i didn't like playing keys until i got a crummy 20 year old casio with no velocity, but a decent keybed. turns out, keys are fun and cool, it's just that mushy tiny keys are obnoxious.

this is all a roundabout way of me asking, what's the keybed like on that guy? i suspect that it's literally the same part, but :shrug:

oh also: the mpk has a midi port, right? not just midi over usb?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I like the keys, though I admit the black keys feel spongier than the white keys. compromise I guess. I much much much prefer the smaller keys for how I use it.

no midi port, just a usb-b and a sustain pedal jack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

idle question, does anyone know what daw would be appropriate for my win2k computer? and is it available on archive dot org or something? something from 2000 or 2001 preferred