Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
After being punished for not cooking an egg last month, I am here to teach you how to make butter at home, because in this country you can only fail upwards

MAKE BUTTER AT HOME BY MARCH 31 OR GET BANNED LIKE ME

Maybe you avoided making your own butter because you thought it was too much work. Or too expensive. Or that you couldn't make it better than store-bought. I am here to tell you that all of these thoughts are wrong!

Not only is home-made butter cheaper than grocery butter, it's not a whole lot of work and you can easily make it way more delicious than premium butters with an additional $1 of ingredients.

I recently set my home-made cultured butter against three other fancy butters: Bretel French cultured butter, Hokkaido fermented butter and Calpis "Masterpiece" butter. The worst score my butter got from judges was tied for first place with an $11 butter (Hokkaido) and everyone else thought it was the best one. And I just used a 25/75 mix of raw and ultra-pasteurized cream for my submission! 100% raw cream butter is even better!

WHAT’S CULTURED BUTTER?
Cultured butter has bacteria fermentation. It’s what takes butter you the next level, giving it complexity, savoriness and a little cheese funk. It’s what you commonly find in good European butters.

HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO MAKE BUTTER?
- $10 for 2 quarts of cream at Costco to make 4 cups of butter
- optional $1 for a single serving of dairy product with active bacteria cultures for cultured butter

EQUIPMENT NEEDED:
- Something to churn the cream with. This can be a food processor, stand mixer, blender, dedicated manual butter churner, a centrifuge (not technically churning but it works), egg beater or even a whisk and the arm that God gave you
- some sort of tea towel or cheese cloth (tight weave like a butter muslin, not the gauze garbage with loose threads)
- bowls
- cream
- maybe a yogurt, kefir, buttermilk or some dairy thing with live bacteria
- cold water

HOW TO MAKE LAZY rear end BUTTER
- put cream into blender/mixer/food processor/centrifuge/bowl and whisk or beater/churner and blend/process/spin/whisk/beat/churn for a few minutes until the solids and liquids separate (if you're using a stand mixer, mix at low and keep an eye on it, it might slosh out of the bowl if you mix too fast). Congratulations, you have butter! The liquid is buttermilk, you can dump it out or save it for cooking chicken or making ice cream or saving it for the next batch of butter. Put the butter blob in your cheese cloth and squeeze lightly until most of the liquid comes out. Put the solids in some tupperware, mix in some salt (take the weight of the butter, multiply it by 0.016 and that's how much salt you should put in, give or take) and you have lazy rear end watery butter.

HOW TO MAKE DECENT rear end BUTTER
- put cream into blender/mixer/food processor/centrifuge/bowl and whisk or beater/churner and blend/mix/process/spin/whisk/beat/churn for a few minutes until the solids and liquids separate (if you're using a stand mixer, mix at low and keep an eye on it, it might slosh out of the bowl if you mix too fast).
- dump out or save the buttermilk, stick the solids in a bowl and put in the fridge for an hour or two
- when it's cold, bring the butter out and stick into your tight-weave cheese cloth, and squeeze until most of the remaining liquid in the butter blob comes out. Don't do it too tight or else the solids will extrude out of the cloth like playdoh factory spaghetti
- take your butter blob and put into a bowl of cold water, preferably with ice. Knead your butter to get more liquids out of it. Take the blob out of the water and pat dry with paper towels, then knead some more to see if you can get the last bits of water out.
- mix in 0.016x the weight of the butter's worth of salt (if you have 500g of butter, add 8 grams of salt)
- stick into tupperware, now you have decent rear end butter

HOW TO MAKE GOOD rear end CULTURED EFFORT BUTTER
- put a heaping tablespoon of yogurt/kefir/buttermilk with active bacteria into each quart of cream
- leave on a tabletop at room temperature (ideally 77°F) for 1 day if you want funk and 2 days if you want extra funk.
- pour out the slop into your blender/mixer/food processor/centrifuge/bowl and whisk or beater/churner and blend/mix/process/spin/whisk/beat/churn for a few minutes until the solids and liquids separate (if you're using a stand mixer, mix at low and keep an eye on it, it might slosh out of the bowl if you mix too fast) .
- dump out or save the buttermilk, stick the solids in a bowl and put in the fridge for an hour or two
- when it's cold, bring the butter out and stick into your tight-weave cheese cloth, and squeeze until most of the remaining liquid in the butter blob comes out. Don't do it too tight or else the solids will extrude out of the cloth like playdoh factory spaghetti
- take your butter blob and put into a bowl of cold water, preferably with ice. Knead your butter to get more liquids out of it. Take the blob out of the water and pat dry with paper towels, then knead some more to see if you can get the last bits of water out.
- mix in 0.016x the weight of the butter's worth of salt (if you have 500g of butter, add 8 grams of salt)
- stick into tupperware, now you have good rear end cultured butter

HOW TO MAKE GOD'S BUTTER
- put a heaping tablespoon of yogurt/kefir/buttermilk with active bacteria into each quart of raw unpasteurized cream
- leave on a tabletop at room temperature (ideally 77°F) for 1 day if you want funk and 2 days if you want extra funk.
- pour out the slop into your blender/mixer/food processor/centrifuge/bowl and whisk or beater/churner and blend/mix/process/spin/whisk/beat/churn for a few minutes until the solids and liquids separate (if you're using a stand mixer, mix at low and keep an eye on it, it might slosh out of the bowl if you mix too fast) .
- stick into tupperware, now you have good rear end cultured butter

There are a million youtubes about how to make butter, here's a good one of Brad Leone making cultured butter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsNFUDweoX4

Post a photo of your home-made butter by March 31 midnight or get probated

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I remember making butter in elementary school.
We put cream in babyfood jars and shook shook shook.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

In 1937 the poet, writer, raconteur, world traveler, futurist, communist, posessor of probable mother issues, and all around weird dude, Bob Brown -- along with his wife Rose and mother Cora (always credited first; and sometimes the women were credited singly as Cora-Rose, so now you know why I suspect mommy issues), published a masterpiece of early 20th century epicureanism, 10,000 Snacks.

Possibly odd timing for it, since the world was very much still recovering from the Great Depression, but maybe this is the sort of thing people wanted after an era of such austerity. Anyway, the book contains an entire chapter on butters.

Since Steve Yun was nice enough to tell us all how to make butter in the first place, I present (a hastily phone camera captured rendition of) the Butter chapter from 10,000 Snacks, for your inspiration, edification -- and if your reaction to The Browns is like mine, also your amusement and bemusement.

https://imgur.com/a/XUuYUTy

mdxi fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 4, 2020

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I have spent years trying to find raw milk and finally sourced some "for animal consumption of course, WINK WINK. I cannot find anyone who separates the cream and I am not about to churn a gallon or two of raw milk to make butter. You're lucky to have found some. Butter is fun and easy to make, I'll do it again sure. If you do use the stand mixer do not do what I did the first time and turn your back on it when it's going about 6 or 7 setting. It separated so fast and gently caress buttermilk went everywhere.

Also why are you suggesting tossing the buttermilk? That poo poo is delicious. Plain or with a touch of salt and pepper. Or just use it as an ingredient in something. You know, like buttermilk.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I do a fair amount of cooking for vegan friends and for one friend with a nut allergy, so it has always bothered me that finding a vegan butter-substitute without cashew in it is so difficult. I think I'll do some research and try to make a nut-free vegan butter for this month's challenge. If I can't, I'll just make a normal vegan butter because why not?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Gonna feed buttermilk to the buttermilk loving fiancè.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I have found that Sprouts groceries regularly carry raw milk and raw cream

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Here is a raw milk finder that you can use to find raw cream in your state/county

https://www.realmilk.com/real-milk-finder/

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

How Wonderful! posted:

I do a fair amount of cooking for vegan friends and for one friend with a nut allergy, so it has always bothered me that finding a vegan butter-substitute without cashew in it is so difficult. I think I'll do some research and try to make a nut-free vegan butter for this month's challenge. If I can't, I'll just make a normal vegan butter because why not?

Butter is one of two things that keep me at vegetarian status (the other, possibly self-evidently after last month's COD, is eggs). My biggest problem the vegan butters I've tried is that they turn into puddles and separate at room temp -- and I really like having room-temp spreadable butter on hand for all kinds of things.

Do you know any recipes that are room-temp stable?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Conversely, what are the ingredients is home-made vegan butters? Maybe we can find stabilizers for them

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm in for cows milk butter!

I happen to have kappa carrageenan I bought on a whim, so if any vegan folks find a recipe that happens to need kappa carrageenan, or if you find one that you'd like me to experiment trying to stabilize your recipe, I will test it for you! My sister is vegan so it'd make me a very popular brother.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'ma make a butter and nobody's gonna stop me.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

I made butter once or twice years ago and really enjoyed it, so I’m in for this. Curious about the cultured butter so I may try to make some this weekend!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

mdxi posted:

Butter is one of two things that keep me at vegetarian status (the other, possibly self-evidently after last month's COD, is eggs). My biggest problem the vegan butters I've tried is that they turn into puddles and separate at room temp -- and I really like having room-temp spreadable butter on hand for all kinds of things.

Steve Yun posted:

Conversely, what are the ingredients is home-made vegan butters? Maybe we can find stabilizers for them

The brand that I keep around for vegan friends, and which I actually really like, has:
-Coconut oil
-Water
-Sunflower oil
-Cashews
-Sunflower Lecithin
-Sea Salt
-Cultures

In poking around a bit I've actually seen quite a few recipes that do without the cashews and/or almonds, which I've found to be almost ubiquitous in store-bought vegan dairy stuff around local co-ops and stuff (and which, to be fair, I'm all about when nut allergies aren't in play).

The above list actually looks more or less standard-- almost every variation I've run across calls for a bunch of coconut oil, usually some kind of lecithin, salt, sunflower/canola/olive oil, etc. A lot begin with curdling soy or almond milk, but not all (I've done that before to make vegan buttermilk in a pinch and wound up really liking it).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

mdxi posted:

How much coconut (as well as how refined) or sustainable palm you add will determine how hard it is at room temp. A lot of these terrible brands target spreadable from the fridge, leading to your issues. You shouldn’t need to add stabilizers. You don’t even need to add water, imo, unless you’re explicitly trying to create a hard butter that needs the water to provide lift in baking - and with no water, no lecithin. Just figure out what flavours to add.

Generally speaking there’s no “need” to culture vegan butters because they’re less prone to rancidity or spoilage but you could culture a small amount of whatever and whip it in.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I've been getting back into bread lately, so I need to make butter to put on bread.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Is making ghee at home worth it?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yes because it’s easy and retail ghee is loving highway robbery

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

Yes because it’s easy and retail ghee is loving highway robbery

If you shop at the white people store, sure.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

Is making ghee at home worth it?

feedmegin posted:

If you shop at the white people store, sure.

Even then I find it's worth it at home because sometimes things sit on the shelves a while. Not worth using good butter for, but fresher butter does make a difference imo.

Plus you can just put all the bits you take out in a pan with more butter and make extra delicious browned butter shortbread, or something.

Also I've managed to make butter squeezed fresh from the cow like four times in my life and I don't know that the raw milk is really worth the effort but that's just me.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I buttered!

Mmmm cream

Whipped cream?

More like buttercream without any sugar

drat it finish!

Yay!

Ta-dah!

It's currently chilling for another squeeze or two then rinsing in cold water and it'll be done.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Mar 7, 2020

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm going for an 18 hr, a 24 hr, and a 30 hr because why not

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I've never butted'er, so yeah, I think real drat soon I'll butt er. Culturally.

Which is to say I just went and bought a bunch of cream and some kefir and imma let half age for one day, half for two.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Double post 'cause I double did it. Both batches I used Maple Hill kefir as a starter in the cream, because that's a real nice kefir

24 hour culture:

I was excited when I realized I'd have a bunch of really nice buttermilk out of this too. This tasted great; more complex than storebought butter, but not so much as to make it something I couldn't use as a substitute.

Then, gently caress.

48 hour culture:

I was a little wary when the container wouldn't slosh, but I sanitized the hell out of everything and kept it super temperature controlled, so I figured I was safe. Then I opened the container and the cream had almost become a yogurt; it had thickened, it had developed a tang, it basically yelled at me "buddy this is either going to be great or terrible so buckle up"

it turns out it's great

I buttered. Now I gotta finish making some nice sourdough to do a taste comparison on this good good butt stuff.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
48 hours is a good choice and I commend your butt

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

It has begun:

Tbsp of active yoghurt.

Quart of heavy cream.

Proper label. See you in two days.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Hey, there's a milk shortage in my area, can I get a Coronavirus extension?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I am socially distancing and culturing some creme.

See you Tuesday afternoon for butter time.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

The dairy seller I was anticipating getting some local raw (and pasteurized) milk from for this today announced they won't be attending any farmers markets through the end of March at least. So count me 2nd on asking about a Corona extension ☹️

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

First parts done!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I never in my wildest imagination pictured the the beginning of March that we’d be rationing supplies like Soviet Russia by mid-month but here we are. I’m going to Sprouts today to see if they have raw cream, knock on wood

IF YOUR GROCERY IS CROWDED STAY THE gently caress AWAY, THERE WILL BE INFECTED PEOPLE WALKING ABOUT

If mods don’t mind I will be stretching the deadline for this across April.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Don't mind at all.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

All the raw milk gone

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

All the raw milk gone

Part of that is going to be because it has no shelf life in comparison

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I buttered; is imgur still good for uploading photos? I recall some people have been having problems with it in recent times.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I'm also having some real difficulties getting the stuff I need for vegan butter. I'm sorry but I will probably not butter in March.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

It all began two day days ago, with two simple ingredients. I used goat-milk yogurt for a slightly different tang.

I gave it 48 hours to culture. Also on a whim I doubled the amount of yogurt called for; I don't know what difference it made.

Anyways, I beat my cream.

Showing better definition now.

Almost there...

And done!

(Yes, I had the mixer set to the lowest setting. It still splattered that much. Fortunately, very little got outside the bowl.)

I saved the buttermilk for pancakes, biscuits, and other stuff, chilled the butter, balled it up and put in ice water.

After squeezing out as much liquid as I could, the yield from a half-gallon of cream was about 750g.

And into the tub it goes; I tested it on some toast before putting it away.

Verdict: it's good stuff. I added the salt as recommended in the OP; if I do it again, I might try doing without. I know salt helps preserve the butter a bit, but I've been using unsalted butter for years and the taste takes some getting used to.

Meaty Ore fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 18, 2020

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I buttered! Costco cream and greek yogurt

I found out the hard way why you chill before you churn. Thankfully whipped cream churns okay if you stop and chill it!

I didn't bother to squeeze much liquid out of that one, it's the 1 1/2 day container. It's not as good but even that beats the hell out of store-bought. Thanks OP for the inspiration!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

I buttered last weekend, but didn't have any downtime to post up until tonight.

Quart of heavy cream and a good tbsp of greek yogurt to seed the lactobacillus. Let sit at room temp on the kitchen counter for ~48 hours. Then chill.

Didn't feel like shaking it to churn, so throw it in the mixer.

Solids and liquid nicely separated.

Squeezed out a pint of buttermilk, and tossed the resulting ball in the fridge for an hour.

Final weight after pressing again to remove more liquid.

Salt.

Finished butter. Now what to do with the buttermilk...

Right, biscuits!

The secret to tender biscuits is not working them any more than absolutely necessary.

Can you tell the ones made from the second cutting scraps?

Toasty!

With the butter! Cultured butter is a little funky, but absolutely delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Well I thought I'd sit this month out, but :bandwagon:

In the spirit of panic buying/apocalypse prepping, I've gone big. Imma give this a shot after 24hr. I'm pretty sure you can't buy anything unpasteurised in Australia so hopefully with the bio-dynamic yoghurt I chucked in it cultures a bit.

We don't have a nice KitchenAid but it looks like I'll be able to use the Thermomix to churn, which will be a nice change from it sitting gathering dust in the corner.

I have a question about the salt - it's the last process right? do you kinda knead it into the butter?

What's the best way to work it? I was thinking a dough scraper or two.