Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

I buttered the other week and then made biscuits with the buttermilk and then ate it all and decided to butter again this week!

Unfortunately I completely forgot about my cream+yogurt mixture on the counter and it’s now been sitting out for about 60 hours...going to make butter out of it and see what happens! Should be real funky.

Will post pics of butter after I make the second batch and see how funky this stuff is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
gently caress if I can’t get raw cream this month I’m gonna fail my own cook or die

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I did a bit of churny-poury

Some squeezing occurred and then I mixed some salt in

Butter! I got about 680gm worth.

Best way to test it out?

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I realized I still had about two cups of buttermilk from making that good beurre and said gently caress it, it's pancakes today.

gently caress I'm so thankful for this thread encouraging me to butt.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Whalley posted:

I realized I still had about two cups of buttermilk from making that good beurre and said gently caress it, it's pancakes today.

gently caress I'm so thankful for this thread encouraging me to butt.

Excellent idea so I went and made my own with sausage balls for the fam this morning. It was good!

Also I'm buttering again because self isolation is loving boring so what else am I to do? I am making a cultured one and I decided to see what the Lactobacillus paracasei Shirota in Yakult will do to mine. Hopefully it'll be good like Yakult is! (It's also what I had on hand and gently caress going back out to a grocery store if I don't have to) I guess I'll find out on Tuesday!

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 23, 2020

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Jam roll using butter and buttermilk, including buttermilk in the glaze

E: brine ya chickie

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Mar 23, 2020

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
some of my leftover buttermilk and some of my butter ended up in these badboys

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

I didn't actually take pictures, but ended up doing ~4 pounds of butter that has gone into cookies and misc other poo poo over the last few weeks, with the buttermilk going into pancakes. I sitll have so much buttermilk and like 2 pounds of butter left in the freezer.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Biscuits.

Pancakes!

Chicken!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Fun fact, I was reading the differences earlier and apparently traditional buttermilk isn't is good for buttermilk chicken because it's thin and not thick like the kind you get in the store because that still has the fat from milk and has lactic acid added making it thicker.

It's still delicious though. And drinking it is good too as a treat.

slothrop posted:

some of my leftover buttermilk and some of my butter ended up in these badboys

:drat:

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 23, 2020

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat

Croatoan posted:

Fun fact, I was reading the differences earlier and apparently traditional buttermilk isn't is good for buttermilk chicken because it's thin and not thick like the kind you get in the store because that still has the fat from milk and has lactic acid added making it thicker.

It's still delicious though. And drinking it is good too as a treat.

:drat:

That’s interesting because my buttermilk has gone thick AF. It’s more solid than liquid

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

It tends to thicken over time, IIRC as more lactic acid builds up.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I just tried my Yakult butter and it's good! Not as cheesy as normal but good! The buttermilk is WEIRD! It tastes just like Yakult minus the sugar and citrus because DUH.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Some tips from Dave Arnold’s latest episode of cooking issues

Someone wrote in that they tried to ferment the cream for 3 days and it grew mold (was it one of you) and asked if it’s safe to scrape off and salvage the rest (it’s not)

Dave is of the opinion that grocery buttermilk, not yogurt, is the best starter and that 24 hours is all you need in terms of fermentation length

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

A hint of things to come. I’m getting to it late because I wasn’t going to the shops. I’m doing a 48 hour culture, and here’s why. It’s halfway done and smells fine, but it’s not funky enough for me yet.

I know the status of my cream. It’s pasteurized, if it were fresh cream or raw cream, it would need to be super fresh. Second, I trust my sanitation practices for fermenting. Everything was washed and sanitized with an acid sanitizer. You can try diluted vinegar, that works well for what you need here too. Third, I have a good idea of the temps that my culture will be at throughout the entire day and night. I do things like this a lot. I would err on the side of warmer here too, lacto likes it warm for faster fermentation. If you don’t have good temp control, shoot for 70-80 for certain. In the 60s most lacto reproduce slowly and don’t out compete other things. Lastly, I know what’s active in my culture. I used an active culture yoghurt. Pasteurized ones aren’t going to work here. Active buttermilk has different bacteria, and they work in similar ways. Either way, active culture is essential. Read the label and you won’t grow mold.

So Dave is mostly right, but needs to be right with the right info. The cultured buttermilk in my fridge has been pasteurized, so I have to use the active yoghurt. Incomplete info leads to mold growth. Don’t eat molds you don’t know. Also, how would it not just smell terrible.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 26, 2020

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Still no raw cream at Sprouts, but I did see a single bottle of raw kefir

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Jhet posted:

A hint of things to come. I’m getting to it late because I wasn’t going to the shops. I’m doing a 48 hour culture, and here’s why. It’s halfway done and smells fine, but it’s not funky enough for me yet.

I know the status of my cream. It’s pasteurized, if it were fresh cream or raw cream, it would need to be super fresh. Second, I trust my sanitation practices for fermenting. Everything was washed and sanitized with an acid sanitizer. You can try diluted vinegar, that works well for what you need here too. Third, I have a good idea of the temps that my culture will be at throughout the entire day and night. I do things like this a lot. I would err on the side of warmer here too, lacto likes it warm for faster fermentation. If you don’t have good temp control, shoot for 70-80 for certain. In the 60s most lacto reproduce slowly and don’t out compete other things. Lastly, I know what’s active in my culture. I used an active culture yoghurt. Pasteurized ones aren’t going to work here. Active buttermilk has different bacteria, and they work in similar ways. Either way, active culture is essential. Read the label and you won’t grow mold.

So Dave is mostly right, but needs to be right with the right info. The cultured buttermilk in my fridge has been pasteurized, so I have to use the active yoghurt. Incomplete info leads to mold growth. Don’t eat molds you don’t know. Also, how would it not just smell terrible.

Yeah, I trusted mine for the same reasons. I know fermentation very well, and used the same sanitization process I use when making meads and ciders.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, I trusted mine for the same reasons. I know fermentation very well, and used the same sanitization process I use when making meads and ciders.

Yeah, fermenting foods is a perfectly awesome thing to do, but there's just so much bad information out there that I sometimes use a lot of words on purpose (Kahm yeast :argh:). I just jarred sauerkraut yesterday and am just waiting on my soy sauce to finish filtering before bottling today. I use more microbes in a week than most people use all year, so I do enjoy the funk. And the good news is that if you can culture butter, you're only a step or two away from making your own cheeses!

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
I went to butt a second time but I hosed it up. Had a nice 48hr culture and churned it then realised I forgot to chill before I churned.

I reasoned I could hang it in muslin overnight in the fridge but the next day it was solid as.

I tried to re-churn but it turned a very odd texture and I decided to toss it.

Oh well, I’ll give it another go in a few days. My original 24hr batch is great, and has been used on some tasty bread I made too.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Alrighty, so I buttered. It was about a 48 hour culture from yoghurt with heavy cream (pasteurized because that's all there was), but it wasn't as warm in the kitchen so it didn't turn out as funky as I would have liked. Still tastes like good fatty butter though.

Look at that whipped cream.

I add salt twice. Once to the butter (1/4 tsp) and once in the brine (uhh, I don't always measure things). It doesn't leave the buttermilk particularly salty, and does help slow down any further fermentation in the fridge.

And then today I made buttermilk pancakes and slapped some butter on there. If I remember to update later, I made sourdough bread too that will be great with some fresh butter.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

I buttered twice this month! Finally remembered I should post pictures just in time. This is from the second batch I made - I forgot about the yogurt+cream como on my counter and made this after about 60 hours of it sitting out - it turned out great! Also made some delicious biscuits with the buttermilk. I think this will be something I do very often and always keep on hand.

Cream + yogurt combo after 60h:

Got really thicc:

Aww yeah there she goes (had some fun with this step down transformer tripping our circuit breaker a handful of times before I figured out the trick to it):

Alton Brown’s Little Brown Biscuits made with fresh buttermilk and homemade butter:

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
Got my ~48hr butter butted.

This batch was significantly thicker after 48hr than the last, failed batch

Baking a Rye loaf tonight, so I'll try a bit of this on it!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Just a reminder that you have until the end of April

Also we might have a concurrent cook or die coming this month, rules are dead, there is no government, everyone for themselves

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Update, I was able to access good quality cream! I'm making a test batch now before making a post dedicated to my butter making. Here goes nothing!🥳

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Our last grocery run was a no-go on some of the ingredients we'd need for good cultured butter but I'm crossing my fingers for next time. If it doesn't work out I will make some true and abject struggle butter just to maintain my posting honor but I hope it doesn't come to that.

bradburypancakes
Sep 9, 2014

hmm. hmmmmmmmm
Made butter, 400g is quite a lot it turns out! Didn’t take a finished picture but here’s an in progress one after the whisk for my hand mixer broke and I switched to manual

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks to the extension and quarantine, I was able to butter.

Step 1 was buying a pint of fancy-ish looking cream and stealing some of the house yogurt. At first I re-read the thread and regretted not getting more, since it sounded like 2 pints was the way to go, but I'm actually happy with how much I got. Mix the two together and...

Stick in a mason jar to sit in the fermentation corner of the kitchen for 36-ish hours. I had intended to go for 48, but I'd started it in the morning and didn't think I'd have the motivation first thing so I decided to carry on the second night.

When everyone else gave warnings to run the mixer on the lowest setting, I was sure the concern was just the initial liquid sloshing around...

And I didn't realize the messy part was at the end when the butterfat was separated from the buttermilk. Thankfully it didn't get everywhere.

Chill in the fridge and forget about until the next morning, then put in ice water to try and squeeze out some of the remaining buttermilk.

And there we go! I didn't salt it, but I've been putting it on some scallion biscuits I cooked over the weekend for breakfasts and I'm pretty happy with it. Next time I'll try for the full 48 hours to get a bit more funk, my house tends to be on the cooler side so I think fermentation projects need a bit more time.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Soiled Meat
The salt/no-salt thing is interesting. My girlfriend wanted to make an unsalted batch. I was chatting to my stepdad, who ran a butter factory for 22 years, and he was adamant that we should use salt.

I may be misremembering but I believe he said as an anti-bacterial. Now he’s coming from a heavily regulated background and has quite a safety oriented mindset anyways, so uh, take that advice with a grain of salt.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
You’re not misremembering. Salt is a preservative and will help keep your butter from turning. However, lactic acid is also a preservative, and by culturing it you’re lowering the pH which will also act as a preservative. It still won’t last forever, but salt, culturing, and refrigeration are all great for extending the shelf life and keeping your butter safe to eat for longer.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
So, about a hundred people in my little town in New Jersey have tested positive, including local grocery workers, and it's not safe to go out. Unless I can make butter out of sweetened condensed milk, I am going to have to just eat a probation.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
You never know until you try?

But no, I’ve never run across anyone making it from Sweetened Condensed. I’m not sure you could with the sweetened part and there’s probably preservatives too. I’d call that a great reason to not go to the shops.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

otoh well-behaved goonchefs seldom make history

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Jhet posted:

You never know until you try?

But no, I’ve never run across anyone making it from Sweetened Condensed. I’m not sure you could with the sweetened part and there’s probably preservatives too. I’d call that a great reason to not go to the shops.

Works for coffee and tea, that's about it.

We're only going out to walk the dog. We're putting off all shopping, with the exception of the weekend's beer, which we're getting curbside. Priorities, man.

What if I try using sweetened condensed in place of butter?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Cut back on the sugar? I’ve made a frosting similar to buttercream that subbed in sweetened condensed for some of the butter and sugar. It was cloyingly sweet, but I do not have a sweet tooth. You could probably make a butter “substitute” and get away with it. Do you have any dried milk powder or whey laying about? Maybe a can of chickpeas to use the liquid and whip something up?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Suspect Bucket posted:

So, about a hundred people in my little town in New Jersey have tested positive, including local grocery workers, and it's not safe to go out. Unless I can make butter out of sweetened condensed milk, I am going to have to just eat a probation.

is delivery or curbside pickup an option?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Steve Yun posted:

is delivery or curbside pickup an option?

Yes, but it seems rather excessive given the circumstances. I don't need butter, I'm fairly well stocked on groceries, I have plenty of unsalted and ghee, as well as cooking oil. It would have been a fun experiment, but I'm really just not comfortable doing it at this time given how rough poo poo is and how weird the consumer dairy situation is locally. I'll let someone else have the cream for now.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I can’t recommend punishment under these circumstances.

Hell I might even fail my own cook or die

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Given the state of the world, I'm not going to put through a probe on anyone who failed this because they couldn't get to the store.

That'd just be sadism.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEtldt-FI8Y

Just image the butter you will make after this is all over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I am glad I know now that when facing a global pandemic, my mind turns to "Maybe making my own butter would be a good idea."