Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

I missed you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Today I learned how hard it is to make butter look photogenic. Please enjoy a parade of wet white globs, courtesy of a wet white glob.

We had enough cream on hand to make two small batches, so while I got started on a cultured butter I also made a batch of regular butter as a practice round.

A nice excuse to use our big old beautiful mixer for something other than bread.

Well, there you have it.

After two hours in the fridge, it tasted fine and spread nicely. A pretty pleasant, ordinary butter pictured here on a slice of my wife's sourdough.

Not pictured: buttermilk. I think we saved about enough to probably make a small batch of pancakes or biscuits but tonight's pizza night so pancakes and biscuits can take a friggin' number!

I think I have the basics down so I'm excited to get cracking on cultured butter tomorrow. I could occasionally find raw cream at our farmer's market pre-quarantine so I'll keep an eye out on our CSA to see what I can do. I might also mess around with a little herb butter.

Edit: I turned it into compound butter last night with basil and garlic and popped it back in the fridge, it feels a little bit more like "something" now. We had it on sourdough with dinner and both my wife and I really liked it.

The bowl of cream and yogurt on my counter is really starting to smell promising, so I'm glad I gave it a second day to do its thing.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Apr 23, 2020

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Quick question-- I have the buttermilk from my first batch of non-cultured butter and soon I'll have buttermilk from the cultured batch. Are these safe to use in the same recipe or are they markedly different?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

How Wonderful! posted:

Quick question-- I have the buttermilk from my first batch of non-cultured butter and soon I'll have buttermilk from the cultured batch. Are these safe to use in the same recipe or are they markedly different?

Yeah you can use them in the same. The cultured will be a little cheesy kinda (very mild like like farmer's cheese) and mixing it with non cultured will just water it down do you might want to or you may not. Up to you. The fun is in finding out!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Croatoan posted:

Yeah you can use them in the same. The cultured will be a little cheesy kinda (very mild like like farmer's cheese) and mixing it with non cultured will just water it down do you might want to or you may not. Up to you. The fun is in finding out!

I'll keep that in mind, we wound up using the uncultured buttermilk to have pancakes for dinner and tomorrow I'm planning on using the cultured buttermilk for biscuits.

Edit: The cultured butter is out of the fridge and it tasted delicious!

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Apr 24, 2020

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

Steve Yun posted:

Some tips from Dave Arnold’s latest episode of cooking issues

Someone wrote in that they tried to ferment the cream for 3 days and it grew mold (was it one of you) and asked if it’s safe to scrape off and salvage the rest (it’s not)

Dave is of the opinion that grocery buttermilk, not yogurt, is the best starter and that 24 hours is all you need in terms of fermentation length

Yeah I think finding a cultured buttermilk brand you like is the key - I make quark and creme fraisch fairly regularly with Marburger buttermilk (made in PA and I buy it in WI so they must have decent distribution) and today, inspired by this thread, I guess I'll start some cultured butter with it too.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I feel really dumb because I made butter, twice, but I took no photos because it was just a test run :v

Now I have a lot of butter and high quality cream is hard to come by, but I have a quart of it on my invoice for delivery this weekend! Fingers crossed y'all

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I gave it a go because I had two large double creams going off today, and I have nothing really to add other than you were not joking about having the stand mixer on low, one second it was on the turn and the next there was buttermilk all over my kitchen

Coming together

Welded into the whisk

aaand done

Stuck it in the freezer because I’m not sure how well it was squeezed and going to use it for general cooking. Oddly satisfying (in a Euro 1200w kenwood), will make again.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Hellll yeah! $7 for two quarts of pasteurized cream to make 4 cups of butter and a pint of buttermilk, and $26 for 1 quart of raw cream to make 2.5 cups of raw butter and 2/3 pint of raw buttermilk. Taste test later.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

The government doesn't want you to know about this free butter trick!

:nms: carton smegma

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

BrianBoitano posted:

The government doesn't want you to know about this free butter trick!

:nms: carton smegma

Would

If only to not get probatWAIIIIITTTTAMINUTE I HAVE AN OFF BALANCE DRYER IN MY COMPLEX

BUTTERMILK IS BACK ON THE MENU BOYS

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you
All right! 1.5 quarts of cream cultured for 1 day with Marburger buttermilk netted me just over a pound of really nice butter and a pint of lovely buttermilk. That's actually a slight savings assuming I'd buy buttermilk every time I buy butter as I can buy WI cultured butter for around $6/lb and good buttermilk for $1.50/pint.

I don't know if Wisconsin salts butter less than the American average, but for me the .016 ratio is too salty, I think I'd prefer about half as much salt.

edit: I also made a pint of sweet cream butter and was underwhelmed by the butter itself and especially the buttermilk - no wonder no one I know thinks much of buttermilk, they probably have had someone they know who works in dairy describe it given that probably 99.999 percent of WI residents have never tasted cultured butter. I used very average cream and it really shows with sweet cream butter.

Myron Baloney fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Apr 26, 2020

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Myron Baloney posted:

All right! 1.5 quarts of cream cultured for 1 day with Marburger buttermilk netted me just over a pound of butter and a pint of lovely buttermilk. That's actually a slight savings assuming I'd buy buttermilk every time I buy butter as I can buy WI cultured butter for around $6/lb and good buttermilk for $1.50/pint.

I don't know if Wisconsin salts butter less than the American average, but for me the .016 ratio is too salty, I think I'd prefer about half as much salt.

I used the sodium info from a package of kerrygold to calculate the salt, if anyone wants to go less salty, go for it!

In fact I might do .01 salt in the future just because of my blood pressure

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Yeh I halved the salt for my last batch.

Question, I did half and half double cream and Crème fraîche this time (using up leftovers) and it came out nicer and I don’t understand the mechanics of this enough to know why.

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I got just under a pound of uncultured butter using the "decent rear end" method. I hope to make some cultured this week and will, as others noted, reduce the salt a little. Land O Lakes' salted butter has 1.59% salt content and this recipe was just a touch much for our taste. I'll go for 1.25 - 1.5% for the next batch.

It did taste delicious dotted onto a couple of khachapuri's (after they went back into the oven to melt the butter and cook the eggs)!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I have buttered. I buttered a couple of weeks ago, but it was normal, non-rotten butter. This time, I decided to use spoiled ingredients to make a more potent spread.

Mo Im Speisialta:

Due to a variety of sleep disorders, my schedule is extremely wonky. I almost never know what day it is, now that I’ve been furloughed from work. I believe I let my cream sit out for three days, give or take. I used the yogurt I culture at home to kick start the culturing process.

I forgot to take a picture of the cultured cream, but here is the yogurt I used.

The cream itself was basically yogurt by the time I made the butter. To call it “liquid” would definitely have been generous.

The solids are all coming together. I legitimately laughed out loud at the absolute power funk come out of my brand new (this was her maiden voyage) KitchenAid Professional 600 stand mixer during this process.

Here is the buttermilk. This is not the last we will see of it.

Here is the final lump, after squeezing out as much of the excess water as I could. I didn’t want to add salt, but I don’t go through butter very quickly and wanted a preservative. I settled on a light salting of 1%.

Note the pineapples. I decided to do some experimentation, so I cracked a jar of pineapples I canned, oh, at least a couple years ago, and mixed them into one-quarter of the butter. I shredded the pineapple in a chopper/grinder, then squeezed out as much pineapple juice as reasonable before folding it into the butter.

Since I have sweet, I suppose I also need something savory. Hence, the introduction of garlic into another quarter of the butter.

After dicing that and having a look at the results, then thinking about the strong flavor of the butter, I more or less tripled it.

Left-to-right are the plain, the garlic, and the pineapple. I don’t have the patience for making the loaves look nice, so pretend they’re prettier than they are.

I obviously need to eat this butter, now that I’ve made it. To further that goal, I produced a loaf of Irish soda bread using my cultured buttermilk. I told you we’d see that, again.

Honestly, that is some of the best Irish soda bread I’ve ever produced, and the pineapple butter is fantastic. The only mistake I made was not using more pineapple.

Veni Vidi Ameche! fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 6, 2020