Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I have three questions:

1) How the hell is the pumpkin spice donut better than the apple cider one, despite the fact that it was almost inedibly sweet?
2) Why does maple bacon have the texture of tendons & old gum?
3) Why can't they just put the cheddar that comes with maple bacon sandwiches on everything?

oldskool posted:

at least they have apple cider donuts :woop:

The last time I had an apple cider donut from there, it was offensively bad. Dry and flavorless. Maybe I got a bad batch, I don't know.

:page3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

YeahTubaMike posted:

The last time I had an apple cider donut from there, it was offensively bad. Dry and flavorless. Maybe I got a bad batch, I don't know.

:page3:

I had one the other day and I'm pretty sure it was just an Old Fashioned with a cinnamon sugar coating. they may have waved it over an apple before handing it to me, I can't be sure. wasn't great but i was starving.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

oldskool posted:

I had one the other day and I'm pretty sure it was just an Old Fashioned with a cinnamon sugar coating. they may have waved it over an apple before handing it to me, I can't be sure. wasn't great but i was starving.

Ooh, an Old Fashioned cocktail with cinnamon & sugar sounds awesome. You're right though -- an old fashioned donut with cinnamon & sugar sounds exactly like the donut I had, and it was horrible. Bagel Minis are the truth though.

I have 6 free drinks saved up on my account :btroll:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Since it’s possible the factory that makes the mix might have run out because of poor sales, it’s possible they tried to fool your rear end. Farewell.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Why don't they use the cheddar from the maple sugar bacon sandwiches on every sandwich? Jerks.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

YeahTubaMike posted:

Why don't they use the cheddar from the maple sugar bacon sandwiches on every sandwich? Jerks.

Is that the white cheddar? They use that on the beyond sausage things, which — I assume — is why they cost $45 each.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The spicy ghost pepper donut had to have been made for Youtube Reaction videos or something because it's absurdly bad. I ate one as fresh as you can get them and it's like if you pulled a old serrano off the shelf at walmart and nibbled the tip of it for a few seconds.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Agreed.

I've been waiting for them to arrive at my local shop (and by "waiting" I mean, going in, not seeing them on the shelf, and leaving; not getting something there). They finally arrived today and so I got two.

The flavor of course is all in the frosting. Which is understandable since Dunkin isn't going to bake that flavor into a donut. It's a sharp bite, but very short lasting which is also understandable (Dunkin' is not going to create a truly long lasting hot frosting).

But the underlying donut, holy poo poo. Dry, slightly rubbery. Like it was made months ago, kept in a dozen bundle of cellophane, then frosted before shipped out last week.

Despite my anticipation for it, it was everything I completely expected from a corporate "ghost pepper" donut.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I'm so curious about this stupid donut, but the Dunkin Donuts nearest to my apartment has a broken QR code reader and I refuse to use anything but the app to buy DD stuff.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I think maybe they mislabeled the spicy ghost pepper donuts at the second-nearest Dunkin Donuts to my apartment. It's very VERY sweet, and there's only a feeble hint of spice in the aftertaste. The pumpkin spice donut was spicier.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
Did it have deep red frosting with glitter sprinkles on it? If so, that's what mine looked like yesterday.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I’m moving back to Massachusetts next month and man, it’s gonna be weird being back in the land of Dunkies on every corner. We have them in NY but nowhere near as many.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Cheesus posted:

Did it have deep red frosting with glitter sprinkles on it? If so, that's what mine looked like yesterday.

The frosting underneath was white/clear, and the glitter sprinkles were red. I ended up wiping the frosting off because it was so sweet I couldn't take it. I was expecting some sort of bite because of your post, and there was just...nothing.

The rest of the donut was indeed dry & rubbery, but I kind of like dry rubbery donuts because they soak up more coffee. :btroll:

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

The frosting I saw was almost orange looking.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Had the usual this morning. Medium hot black with a turbo shot and 4 corn muffins. Going back to bed.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Had the usual this morning. Medium hot black with a turbo shot and 4 corn muffins. Going back to bed.

lmfao Hell yeah.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
https://www.thestreet.com/investing/dunkin-brands-surges-after-11-3-billion-inspire-takeover

quote:

Dunkin Brands Group (DNKN) - Get Report shares surged higher Monday after the coffee and donut chain agreed to an $11.3 billion takeover from private equity group Inspire Brands in the biggest restaurant deal since 2014.

Inspire Brands, which runs a portfolio of around 11,000 restaurants around the world, including Arby's, Sonic and Buffalo Wild Wings, said late Friday that it will pay $106.50 per share for Dunkin' Brands, which owns both the coffee and donut chain as well as Baskin Robbins ice cream stores.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I don't know what to think about this news. Like, is anything going to change?

Also, one of my friends is trying the ghost pepper donut for the first time, and I can't wait to hear her thoughts about it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

YeahTubaMike posted:

I don't know what to think about this news. Like, is anything going to change?

Also, one of my friends is trying the ghost pepper donut for the first time, and I can't wait to hear her thoughts about it.

You're gonna get combo DD/Baskin Robins/Arby's joints.

----------------

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
The DD near my apartment is getting increasingly careless. I understand that they're not paid enough to care, but like...

:smith:

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

what the hell is that even supposed to be

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Cross post from the Boston thread:

Ugly In The Morning posted:

“Oh, I don’t need to check in advance, I’m sure there’s a deli on the way to work” has led to me shamefully eating dunkies in a valvoline parking lot.

----------------

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

my local DD's already started with the xmas cups. xmas was more fun when it wasn't two months long.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Cross post from the Boston thread:

Dunkies? DUNKIES? :psypop: Boston really doesn't have any class.

oldskool posted:

my local DD's already started with the xmas cups. xmas was more fun when it wasn't two months long.

The only thing I like about long Christmas is seasonal beverages -- for example, chestnut praline lattes at Starbucks, which are the best fast food beverages on earth -- despite the fact that DD doesn't have any good ones.

edit: that new sourdough sandwich is gross btw

edit2:

WEH posted:

what the hell is that even supposed to be

A bacon, egg, and cheese wake-up wrap. :geno:

YeahTubaMike fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Nov 11, 2020

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I tried the new sourdough sandwich today. It was ok. It needs to be toasted.

----------------

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Jose Oquendo posted:

I tried the new sourdough sandwich today. It was ok. It needs to be toasted.

Hmmmmm you might be onto something there. The bread on the sandwich I got was chewy & tough, and it was the worst part.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

Hmmmmm you might be onto something there. The bread on the sandwich I got was chewy & tough, and it was the worst part.

Yeah the bread needs to be slightly toasted and the cheese needs to be melted. It sounds like both of our sandwiches were made the way they are supposed to, which is a shame.

edit: Interesting. The product description on the website calls it 'sourdough toast' so i'm right. That poo poo SHOULD be toasted. Next time I'll ask.

----------------

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 11, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

YeahTubaMike posted:

Dunkies? DUNKIES? :psypop: Boston really doesn't have any class.

If it makes you feel better they made fun of me for my slang being woefully outdated. I just moved back to MA after almost ten years, I’m so behind. Apparently it’s dunks now?

----------------

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

If it makes you feel better they made fun of me for my slang being woefully outdated. I just moved back to MA after almost ten years, I’m so behind. Apparently it’s dunks now?

I still call it Mr. Donut

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
"Deez Nuts" (Ds, 'nuts) would be a perfect nickname, but oh well.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Yeah the bread needs to be slightly toasted and the cheese needs to be melted. It sounds like both of our sandwiches were made the way they are supposed to, which is a shame.

edit: Interesting. The product description on the website calls it 'sourdough toast' so i'm right. That poo poo SHOULD be toasted. Next time I'll ask.

After getting a couple of maple sugar bacon sandwiches/wraps with American cheese on them ( :gonk: ), I've learned not to trust DD with trifling little details like toasting.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

YeahTubaMike posted:

The DD near my apartment is getting increasingly careless. I understand that they're not paid enough to care, but like...

:smith:

whatis that

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

YeahTubaMike posted:

A bacon, egg, and cheese wake-up wrap. :geno:

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
There is a Dunkin Donuts opening practically across the street. It is opening next to a mom and pop drive-thru coffee shop, like, they literally are putting their building as close as possible to the other shop. I normally at this point would think I needed to start supporting the mom and pop business, but here is the problem. This mom and pop coffee shop loving sucks. Their coffee is mediocre to bad, their tea is spit-out disgusting, they even made a bland smoothy somehow. I don't want to go there. So I guess this is where my desire to support local stuff is at a crossroads. Do you support local if it's gross? I'm saying no.

If this Dunkin is not 24 hours I probably won't go there very often either. That is a scary street to cross; on foot, someone gets hit once a year on average and people have died trying; on car, it means making a left turn on a busy divided highway, or traveling to make a u-turn down the street, and it can often be difficult to get to the left lane before hitting the intersection. Plus, I have a Dutch Bros on my side of the street a block away that is much easier to get to. Still, sometimes I have a craving for coffee at like 11:00 PM and there aren't many options but to go to a Dunkin that is a bit farther away than across the street.

:sss: :tbear: Oel ngati kameie Los Ingobernables de Onsite BYOB
Seared tuna steak, served with ponzu sauce and wasabi.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 07:55 May 03, 2015 posted:

sometimes i rub Fabreeze on my hands and now my hands are very dry.

FrankeeFrankFrank on 04:55 Apr 10, 2017 posted:

It was nice knowing you all. Sometimes.

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I like their round hashbrown things, they have a nice flavor/seasoning on them

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I completely forgot having made this thread. When I clicked page 1 to see how long it had been, the post date depressed me. :smithicide:

On a less depressing note, I am thoroughly addicted to their bagel bites.

Rick posted:

This mom and pop coffee shop loving sucks. Their coffee is mediocre to bad, their tea is spit-out disgusting, they even made a bland smoothy somehow. I don't want to go there. So I guess this is where my desire to support local stuff is at a crossroads. Do you support local if it's gross? I'm saying no.

Hell no. I don't necessarily like the idea of supporting a FRANCHISE instead of a mom & pop shop, but I mean...this isn't like you're only going to DD because it's cheaper or something like that. It's not your fault they suck.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I like their round hashbrown things, they have a nice flavor/seasoning on them

I like the seasoning & crunch to everything else ratio.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
A nice, relevant, non-redundant post:

https://twitter.com/dhtoomey/status/1572201651058151426

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
For the third time someone tried to burn down the Dunkin Donuts mentioned above (didn't work very well, it's apparently not easy to build down a building if you don't know what you're doing and the arsonist apparently doesn't, which is fair, I have no clue myself). Starbucks and Black Rock coffee shops under construction also had windows shattered.

There have been several GOOD local coffee shops that have closed due to big business over the past 20 years, why are they going ham to defend this lovely one?

I still believe in Second Winter. Put this in your sig if you also believe in that and that it is real and not fake like the others say.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I was kind of hoping that at least one person other than me on the forum would have any opinion whatsoever about the new DD rewards system, but I guess not.

Anyway, it's kind of nice to be able to get rewards other than drinks, but at the same time, it's kind of annoying that they apparently had to change the whole system to do that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
They set the new DD on fire again so I haven't gotten to become a life long patron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
These pancake wake-up wraps are like the driest McGriddles to ever exist.