Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Day 5 report. Mostly back to normal. Still some head congestion in my ears and sleeping in late.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

i got a flu vaccine last year but I won't bother this year

flu vaccine is 2 days of feeling pretty lovely
getting the flu is 5-10 days of feeling extremely lovely
vaccine is maybe 50% effective in prevention (varies from like 30%-80% depending on the year as I recall)
historically my chances of an influenza infection in any given season are less than 1 in 10

so for flu the vaccine causes more annoyance than the disease for me

mystes
May 31, 2006

big shtick energy posted:

vaccine is maybe 50% effective in prevention (varies from like 30%-80% depending on the year as I recall)
historically my chances of an influenza infection in any given season are less than 1 in 10

probably just affects older people but something to consider: https://www.uth.edu/news/story/uthealth-houston-study-flu-vaccination-linked-to-40-reduced-risk-of-alzheimers-disease

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

if you get the vaccine you will be much less likely to give it to other people who may give a poo poo

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

the flu vaccine has absolutely zero side effects for me. sore arm maybe

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think for me I might feel a tiny bit tired for like one day at most which is way better than even a chance of getting the flu

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

effects are different for everyone but yeah that seems like a bad gamble plus the noted risk that you become a carrier and end up killing someone who's immunocompromised. we really need to change the motto of the united states from "in god we trust" to "gently caress you, got mine".

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

nice. antivaxxers are coming from inside the thread.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Midjack posted:

noted risk that you become a carrier and end up killing someone who's immunocompromised.

does it prevent that?

on the cdc page about it they say "may" and it's the only claim without a bunch of citations.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

does it prevent that?

on the cdc page about it they say "may" and it's the only claim without a bunch of citations.

anything that makes you less sick makes you less of a plague spreader. you've already made up your mind though.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

same lab found similar associations with a bunch of other vaccines, too

https://www.uth.edu/news/story/several-vaccines-associated-with-reduced-risk-of-alzheimers-disease-in-adults-65-and-older

highly recommend getting the shingles vaccine if you are eligible, I for one will be going the first day I can.

I got shingles on my neck when I was in my early 30s and I would not wish that on my worst enemy, it was like having someone follow behind you with an ice pick and shiv you in the neck randomly every 3-5 seconds. for a week and a half.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

i I

I
my

for me

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:qqsay:

just get it you pansy

mystes
May 31, 2006

does it prevent that?

Oh come on

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I get it every year and last year I even got it twice because I forgot I got it the first time lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I get it so I reduce the chance of me giving it to my kids

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I get it to reduce the chance of my kid getting me sick because he spends all day at a germ factory

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

yeah lol

more people do this than theyre aware of and when you notice it you see it pop up a lot

i i i i i i i me me me me me i i i i

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

does it prevent that?

incredible stem brain, greater than the combined might of all medical research in the western world: “what possible link is there between a vaccine that prevents infection and me not transmitting a communicable disease to another human?”

Can anyone provide a list of citations proving basic germ theory?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol one time i had somebody literally ask me for a citation when i said that if you do something a lot, it becomes a habit. what do you even say to that kind of inability to pull one's head from one's rear end?

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

spankmeister posted:

the flu vaccine has absolutely zero side effects for me. sore arm maybe

some of us are just built different. worst I've gotten was a sore arm from the covid vax

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

does it prevent that?

yes of course it does

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
I get the vaccine because getting the actual flu suuuuuuucks

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

I get the vaccine because getting the actual flu suuuuuuucks

I’ve never had the flu, to my knowledge. Usually get the vaccine and don’t notice anything besides a mildly sore arm.

covid vaccine on the other hand lays me flat on my rear end for at least a day. still better than actually catching it, from all accounts

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

graph posted:

yeah lol

more people do this than theyre aware of and when you notice it you see it pop up a lot

i i i i i i i me me me me me i i i i

yeah

it must be so loving exhausting being the protagonist of reality

Penguissimo fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Sep 24, 2023

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

im on vacation now but my work offers free flu shots so gonna look into gettin one when i get back

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

spankmeister posted:

im on vacation now but my work offers free flu shots so gonna look into gettin one when i get back

sending it to committee?

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

fart simpson posted:

sending it to committee?

Maybe we can get it catered!

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
got my flu shot 2 days ago. feel totally fine. arm isn't even sore this time. suck it up

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
i wanna do a combo flu and covid booster appointment but i just had covid and can't get the booster for 30 days after so i gotta wait like 2.5 more weeks

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
hearing about all these places running out or cancelling or being overbooked. plus cvs workers threatening to strike today, etc

my racist insight pays off, in and out of the scheduled cvs in 6 minutes lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what’s the race angle?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
couple weeks ago i got my tdap booster and flu shot. tomorrow's the covid shot. shoot me the hell up

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

couple weeks ago i got my tdap booster and flu shot. tomorrow's the covid shot. shoot me the hell up

yessss, looking forward to the flu shot in nov here. covid who knows lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

curious did you get tdap for a particular reason or just coz hadn’t had for a while

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

got the pfizer XBB 1.5 today. kinda funny I was the only under 40 at the vaccine place. i was also the only under 50 and under 60 I'm pretty sure. had some fun chatting with the seniors while waiting in line.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

chatting with seniors can be fun. my insurance agency lady is a 60-something who sounds like Marge Simpson's sisters and she's funny as hell

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

echinopsis posted:

curious did you get tdap for a particular reason or just coz hadn’t had for a while

i was due for it, i got my previous tetanus booster about ten years ago.