Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol i’m not working from home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nothing about my job would make sense to do from home

plus we kinda have to stay open. no way im not getting infected

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

but what if it did

the law won't let me do my job from home :qq:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
won’t lie I’ll be a bit disappointed if this just passes

also I ordered 180 flu vaccines and I reckon people will be desperate. covid may be
good for business which is desperately sad atm

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cheers bro that means a lot

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

imagine if my country closed its borders? we have less than ten confirmed cases. we could have even kept it lower

but no. aggressive boards of cash won’t let no lame rear end disease stop us. nz bows down to eat china’s rear end there ain’t no way we’re gonna do anything but open armed gently caress every diseased guest that comes onto our shores

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol
let’s get some “i survived coronavirus” t-shirts made coz well if you don’t it’s a moot point lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

it's as strong a reaction as you're likely to get without the government compelling people to stay home. I've certainly never seen anything like it.

I pay off my student loan this month

just in time for society to collapse and debt become meaningless

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Broken Machine posted:

i picked up toilet paper yesterday, and i almost felt like saying to the clerk at the checkout, hey i'm not hoarding this i'm just low on stock and i'd rather not run out, it has nothing to do with corona. i bet corona isn't fun though! eventually someone will have a trip report

every single person who comes in to the pharmacy to buy masks and sanitiser (we have neither) says “i’m not one of these idiot hoarders”

lmao had a woman come in and tell us about how she’s going on like ten flights and we were like “look we literally have this one display mask you can have it”, it was an n95 style mask but she said “no i’m looking for the surgical kind” 🙄 jesus lady we haven’t at any masks for weeks, no one has

oh and lol at buying toilet paper. way to admit you poo poo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
also lol medical centres won’t let acutely unwell patients go near them, so they fax us prescriptions and ask we take the drugs out to them “oh casual interactions don’t count”

lol anyone wanna swap jobs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’m personally hoarding a few masks and antibiotics too. gotta be some perks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DELETE CASCADE posted:

what good are antibiotics going to do against a virus efb

they’re for secondary infection you dork!!! think your coronavirus infected lungs are going to be good at fighting

also in real world cases of respiratory viral illnesses antibiotics reduce recovery time even though antibiotics are ineffective against viruses

yes .. it’s bad practice that encourages antibiotic resistance

no ... i’m not going to give a poo poo about that if I or anyone I know is unwell

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Achmed Jones posted:

plus do you really want to have to go to the doctor's office or urgent care filled with covid patients when you just need a zpac for your strep throat?

we keep a zithromax reserved for the worst cases of illness to maintain the bacterial susceptibility and yet america just tosses it around like candy :qq:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
clearly hr need to get infected

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

often times once you recover from a virus you can’t get it again. it’s if the virus mutates that you can get sick again, like the flu. it’s also why the flu vaccine isn’t 100% effective. they pick a strain that they predict will be the most common and vaccinate you against that.

the antibodies we create that recognise pathogens require unique antigens to identify. once our immune system can identify an antigen it can usually take care of it very well

our immune system is mental. it was described in university as something like a random protein generator and those proteins will “stick” to things and are antibodies and they act like tags for other immune cells to swallow up. it was described as if the protein stuck to our own cells it could tell so it didn’t use them (this always felt like an obscene simplification when it was taught) that’s what an autoimmune disorder is, where our immune system tags our own cells for destruction. it’s possible type 1 diabetes results from the body creating antibodies for some kind of virus and those antibodies also bind to the beta cells in the pancreas so that the immune system attacks the beta cells thinking it’s a virus. it’s possible we will be able to immunise against this in the future

rheumatic fever can lead to a similar situation there the antibodies will bind to cells in the heart (to do with the valves?) and so the immune system will attack the heart so that’s why you get this weird situation where rheumatic fever leading to CV problems

the H and N in flu strands like H1N1 represent the two most common antigen families expressed on the flu virus, although they aren’t the only ones

I’m not sure why some immune responses last longer than other though. why we can give the immune system dead cells for some things and live attenuated for others

and it’s also worth nothing most viruses don’t target all our cells but just a limited number. things like coronavirus attack the respiratory cells.

measles is nasty because it attacks our immune cells itself and is one of the worst viruses because it can “erase” some or all of your immune “memory”

most common cold are either rhinovirus or coronavirus. why this one in particular is much more deadly is something I’d like to understand

also sometimes in healthy people we can get situations where our cells lyse and release huge volumes of viral particles into our body and our immune system sees this as an extreme attack and can have something called a “cytokine storm” and lead to shock and this is how you get very healthy people dying of flu, different to vulnerable people dying from respiratory failure from the flu

just some ill-remembered info for ya. it’s probably all wrong now

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Mar 14, 2020

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

100% not gonna read all those words

hey i’m just pleased i haven’t been put on ignore by everyone

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

like im not actively looking to end it but i dearly wish it would all end

breaks my heart to read this even though I often feel the same

😓

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
dude just walked in complaining about high fever and cough and i’m like self isolate and he’s like “but I haven’t been overseas”

god working on the front lines here is hosed. emails about how bad it is and precautions etc but the general public are unfazed and ignorant

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this is loving the entire world

and not in the sexy way

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

I keep telling everyone who is saying "It isn't just the US, everywhere in the world is doing badly" that, in fact, China and South Korea are doing very well

china has this authoritarian angle that we just don’t

also imagine if : this continues to mutate so that catching this is like catching a cold in that you only get immunity to that strain but can get it again, the implication being that from now on it’s just like influenza but easier to catch and just circulates the globe over and over and perhaps being old is just a thing of the past

time will tell but something wise I read made the claim that if we’re over precautions we won’t know* but if we aren’t precautious enough it will be abundantly clear

*china and korea being very on the precautious end of the scale

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
there's also an incredibly cynical angle, that due to the huge cost to the health system that the elderly are.. perhaps if they died.. there'd be a few more dollars to go around

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
sam harris making sense podcast has some
epidemiologist on who recons fatality rate may be less than 0.6% realistically

but it’s also getting everywhere

that’s what? around one and a half million dead in the US?

24,000 here in nz

the podcast is worthwhile listening to the dude seems to know what he’s talking about. gonna listen to the rest on the way to work. getting in 2.5 hours before we open to get poo poo done 😓 we are busy AS gently caress

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lancemantis posted:

0.6% dead people is still dead people; making light of things with stats like that is neoliberal hellspeak

I don't think it's an attempt to make light of things

Broken Machine posted:

it depends on what percentage of people need hospitalization. once hospitals are overwhelmed, it doesn't much matter if you would have lived with treatment, and death rates are going to go way up

you're not wrong. those numbers are pulled from south korea, which has the highest quality data, but perhaps also higher quality care too.

I work with a girl who is fatalistic and honestly lacks empathy for anyone and it's so loving frustrating, I'm like, we need to make every decision around saving human lives here, whereas she thinks signs outside the pharmacy asking us to keep people out who have coronavirus makes us look unfriendly

I had to ask a dude to self isolate yesterday. I'm gonna call him today because he looked like his feelings were hurt. I hope I didn't make him sad lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
and goons from the rest of the world too

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bloody posted:

hospital overwhelmed is gonna spike unrelated deaths too like heart attacks and strokes and poo poo

bad time to get a toothache

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo we just got told that us pharmacists can give the flu vax free to everyone who qualifies for it free usually at the GP and from
today rather than 1st april

wowo

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Agile Vector posted:

i think i remember you were stocking extra too?

I got in more than we did last year. problem is it’s typical market bullshit, can only return up to ten vaccines at the end of the year so if you get too many it’ll cost ya. stupid

hate it all. the regulations that are necessary are giving me reason to work from 6am till 8pm to get it ready. I feel so overwhelmed and snowed under and there’s no reprieve, it’s important stuff that needs to get to help the community so I can keep chugging but I hate it all lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
nice “hard work” ya bus riding seatbelt wearer

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
walking from the computer chair to the shitter counts right

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FMguru posted:

do you get allergies? because if the thick layer of yellow pollen on my car every morning is any indication, we are balls deep in allergy season

that’s the obvious poo poo mate but don’t worry allergy season is literally half the year, as different flowers bloom at different times and some people are bad at start of spring but some not till end of summer. or some lucky fuckers bad all year

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DELETE CASCADE posted:

the name is coronavirus because that's what everyone calls it. covid-19 is some bullshit that in fact just means "coronavirus from 2019" even though we only started caring in 2020

covid-19 is the name of the disease you get from being infected with the novel coronavirus which has some name like SARS-CoV-2

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stereotype posted:

Hawaiian airlines just said my fiance can't get on the plane home from JFK to HNL. She was in the UK yesterday, and they told her it is a new policy that you have to wait 14 days. American Airlines seems to not have this policy, at least the people on the phone don't think so. Fingers crossed.

hope you can be with your woman soon bro

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Penisface posted:

back at good screen

lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

yeah we generally run around with orders of magnitude idle capacity in every region just in case something like this comes up unexpectedly, which has made it easy

lol

I have 2.4 full time equivalent total in this pharmacy and I’m the only pharmacist

we’re literally the opposite and I’m on the front lines

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

threaten to quit if you don’t get a raise

I’m never getting a raise

I’m like real scared they’d say no and then I’d be so sad

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
nah boss owns like 4 and wishes it was a chain but also wants to call the chain “community pharmacy” which is pretty dumb as that’s just what every community pharmacy already is called 🙄

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
we’re closing our borders to all non residents soon

someone said this was gonna be like y2k levels bad but i’m
wondering if it’s gonna be worse

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
feel like the state is stepping up here. I hope they take this opportunity to nationalise as much as possible. struggling? sell shares to the govt. gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
like imagine if our pharmaceutical management company was forced to source 20% of its drugs (and varied in a smart way) from inside the country. genius.