Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I like this. I’m glad this concept is back as a permanent subforum.

Also the announcement was a great idea, I may not have noticed it otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

This is a really lovely and foolish idea and I am delighted <3

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

This is a neat idea LAB

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

interesting idea, a subforum that app-only users can't post in

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Dabir posted:

How’s that?

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Dabir posted:

I made my thread in Awful.app on iOS last night.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Dabir posted:

Merits of this idea aside, that the app just scrapes the html rather than accessing things through an api so this might prove a bit too challenging.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
So uh, what's the point of this?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

There's no point really, it's just something supported by the forums code and I thought putting it (back) to use might be fun. If people want to post in it they can. If they don't want to they don't have to :)

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Reading some of these threads reminds me of finding big screeds or rants written on bathroom stalls or park benches or wherever and I love it.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
i love it

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

It's new, different and not terrible on it's face so I think it's cool.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

I think it is cool

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I'm so glad it's back. I think it's already helping.

Good job Bird, and thank you.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
My report button is gone so I'd like to formally submit a report that Kawasaki Nun is doing a form of targeted harassment against me, threatening my life, with their terrible PMF thread

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
So this is LiveJournal with comments disabled so nobody gets their feelings hurt, correct?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Maybe so. Sometimes people just want to like things without making a big debate about it. :)

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I think that given the rapid increase in the number of things to be unsettled about and the increase in the number of people becoming unsettled, that it is ok for some things on these forums to soften a bit. Hell I think a link to the mental health thread in C-SPAM should be stickied across the whole forum.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

So, can you only post one thread with things that you like in general, or can you post a thread for each more specific interest, like "My Favorite 17th Generation Copied VHS Abominations of 1992" or "My Favorite Photos of Food That I Left Under The Bed for Way Too Long"?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

You may post as many niche threads as your heart says you must.

Ideally, they'd be sincere and somewhat sustainable, but there is neither a barrier to entry nor a firing squad.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Pastry of the Year posted:

You may post as many niche threads as your heart says you must.

Ideally, they'd be sincere and somewhat sustainable, but there is neither a barrier to entry nor a firing squad.

I was being silly about the flippant thread subjects, but my question was honest and you answered it. Thanks!

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

I'm enjoying the threads, thanks posters for posting.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I liked this observation by corgski in her PMF thread: "It's interesting, social media has conditioned me to feel like I'm doing something somehow wrong because I'm not getting feedback"

I was online acquaintances with a fellow on Twitter who was funny, thoughtful, and occasionally wrote and linked to longer-form pieces of his. That site snapped his mind over its knee like a dry twig once he got unhealthily obsessed with likes, retweets, and views.

I know I'm getting dangerously close to WE LIVE IN A SOCIETY levels of "well, no poo poo, genius" here, but it really does take some effort to wire the pleasure circuits back to the composition and expression rather than some horrible scoreboard designed by immoral armchair psychologists.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

that's the deep and insightful analysis i come to pyf for

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oh, be nice.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
How am I supposed to tell people I like their posts? Send them unsolicited PMs like a psychopath?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I'm enjoying it just pretty much as a blog with no comments.

Who What Now posted:

How am I supposed to tell people I like their posts? Send them unsolicited PMs like a psychopath?

I wouldn't be adverse to someone PMing me if they wanted to comment on something, but that's just me.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Who What Now posted:

You could make your own thread and post your favourite posts from other peoples threads. Duh.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Who What Now posted:

:lmao:

I've just been rating fives. Sometimes I rate a thread five even though I have already rated it five. as a gesture

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Who What Now posted:

I linked to a thread I found interesting from my general blog thread. I'm also not trying too hard to interact with other people though.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

:lmao:

I've just been rating fives. Sometimes I rate a thread five even though I have already rated it five. as a gesture

posters can have little a double five, as a gesture

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Who What Now posted:

Every PM is unsolicited at first.

In any case I've had some super nice conversations with fellow goons in PMs and I'm glad that I broke the ice in a lot of those cases. People are cool.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I admit, I'm a bit baffled by the point behind a sub-sub-forum like this. It's not really a "forum" if it's the equivalent of me standing on a street corner with a bunch of cardboard signs saying "HEY, I HAVE A TON OF USELESS FACTS ABOUT FISH. DID YOU KNOW THERE'S A SPECIES OF LIVE-BEARING FISH THAT HAVE 'LEFT-HANDED' AND 'RIGHT-HANDED' GENITALIA?, AND LEFTIES CAN ONLY BREED WITH RIGHTIES, AND VICE VERSA?" I mean, even in that case, someone could honk their car horn and thumbs up at me yelling "RIGHT ON, FISH NERD!", or I could get arrested. Some kind of feedback.

But gently caress it, if I come up with a good topic, I'll try it out, and I always like getting PMs because getting that "ding" in my email makes me feel less lonely.

edit: double gently caress it, y'all are about to get schooled (har har) about Things That Are Cool and Weird About Fish

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 05:15 on Mar 12, 2020

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I admit, I'm a bit baffled by the point behind a sub-sub-forum like this. It's not really a "forum" if it's the equivalent of me standing on a street corner with a bunch of cardboard signs saying "HEY, I HAVE A TON OF USELESS FACTS ABOUT FISH. DID YOU KNOW THERE'S A SPECIES OF LIVE-BEARING FISH THAT HAVE 'LEFT-HANDED' AND 'RIGHT-HANDED' GENITALIA?, AND LEFTIES CAN ONLY BREED WITH RIGHTIES, AND VICE VERSA?" I mean, even in that case, someone could honk their car horn and thumbs up at me yelling "RIGHT ON, FISH NERD!", or I could get arrested. Some kind of feedback.

But gently caress it, if I come up with a good topic, I'll try it out, and I always like getting PMs because getting that "ding" in my email makes me feel less lonely.

edit: double gently caress it, y'all are about to get schooled (har har) about Things That Are Cool and Weird About Fish

Hooray! While reading the first paragraph, I was already planning to quote and ask if that was a thread already, if you were going to make it, etc.

(RIGHT ON, FISH NERD!)

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

So the question is, is this, or will a thread be made, that is "PYF PMF posts" in which we discuss, here in PYF, our favorite posts being made in PMF?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Garrand posted:

So the question is, is this, or will a thread be made, that is "PYF PMF posts" in which we discuss, here in PYF, our favorite posts being made in PMF?

I hope so, because that's an excellent idea.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Who What Now posted:

I got a few dms and it was super nice :3:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

people occasionally pm me to tell me they like my posts, which just goes to show there's no accounting for taste

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I think "learning stuff" is cool and good so I'm stoked to learn things about fish, I've had pet Cichlids that were mouthbrooders and that was pretty weird.

e: that's in your thread! which is cool and good.

Shifty Nipples has a new favorite as of 00:00 on Mar 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Yeah a small part of me was wondering about kindred spirits but a much larger part of me knew that it wouldn't happen, so I appreciate having a place to vent into the void with no pressure or negativity, it's fun!