Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

AltaBrown posted:

Let's give this game's plot more thought than David Jaffe did:
I keep accidently doing this in the videos and it's just depressing when I catch myself doing so because it should be so loving easy but they just couldn't avoid loving it up in new and bland ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update: Mr. Grimm Part 3 | cut commentary

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Apologies for being extra dumb and rambling in this video, had been home for two days straight with a fever and my head wasn't working right.

Also, one day I'll tell you the story of how I got banned from the local Jehovas' Witness congregation! Spoiler; it involves one of their leaders getting a broken arm. :D

(I'm still kind of feverish)

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Well who could have figured that Calypso would take advantage of a vaguely worded wish to gently caress over the wish granter in the most paradox inducing way possible.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Of course, the wish itself was a paradox, since he was going back in time to undo the event that necessitated going back in time, so he never would have gone. Calypso would have had to do him a lot of favors for this to have a positive outcome, and that was never going to happen. The ending doesn't even normalize the timeline, I dont think child Grimm will now grow up to do the same thing he saw someone who looked just like him do, so this whole campaign just kind of writes itself out of canon.

Lots of TM games have had time travel endings and they're all terrible (except Twister's in TM2 where the time travel was incidental). It's been brought up that Calypso might not even have the ability to change the past, anyone who asks to try just has to be dropped into a fatal scenario instead.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Twisted Metal, now with the power of Self-Retcon, for extra freshness!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm actually kind of impressed with the theme park stage now that you've gone around the whole. It's massively over designed and the effort it takes to get up to the castle means that no one would actually go up there unless they already wanted to but they really did go all in on designing the big pieces of the a stereotypical park.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Kibayasu posted:

I'm actually kind of impressed with the theme park stage now that you've gone around the whole. It's massively over designed and the effort it takes to get up to the castle means that no one would actually go up there unless they already wanted to but they really did go all in on designing the big pieces of the a stereotypical park.
Them loving up the loop really puts a damper on it though.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I thought for sure that the top half of the loop would be a destructible so that it could at least become a half pipe, but no, it's just a waste. It still has two of the most elaborate destructibles in the game and so much cool crap, I really wish they'd used it more in the campaign

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
It really feels like most of the pieces of a good game were there, but some stupid idea had to butt in and prevent it from making it work

A dozen unique vehicles with different specials - Story mode is limited to 3 disappointing characters and one linear, overarching story. And it doesnt matter because you can play with any vehicle, regardless of driver.
Huge, partially destructible environments, full of jokes and details - Playable area limited to mobile arena. Leave the grid - take damage.
Multiplayer battles - Not anymore
Boss Battles - They tried something new, I'll give them that. Too bad it's also stupid.

Granted the previous bosses were basically just high damage, high armor vehicles, but that works for a car combat game. The bosses here are puzzles, which don't really fit the feel of a twisted metal game. If you want to put a secret behind shoot these things in order, drive here, park there, put a bomb here and the Statue of Liberty shows off her tits, fine. But these one off mechanics, plant C4 under a monster truck, win a checkpoint race (and then blow up the survivors), drag a gang leader behind you and feed them into a human soul operated missile launcher, do something stupid to beat the next boss...

It all just seems like someone in creative (Jaffe?) was let off the leash and no one had the spine or the power to tell him no. It's not quite Duke Nukem Forever levels of unplayable, but it feels like it's so close to being good that it's almost more disappointing.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

CzarChasm posted:

It really feels like most of the pieces of a good game were there, but some stupid idea had to butt in and prevent it from making it work

Very much so, there are times when it feels so close to being a really good game, but the big picture is... not good. Definitely feels like nobody could say no to Jaffe and his every whim ended up in the game, and it gets worse in the final story.

And we're... still not back.

BONUS: War of the Monsters - Mecha Sweet Tooth Adventure Mode

Solo Commentary version
| Group Commentary version (coming soon)

Instead we're jumping back almost a decade for another bonus video tangentially related to Twisted Metal. I recorded commentary for this with Kaboom Dragoon and Rutkowski, but due to technical issues, it's gonna take forever to edit and I have hardly any free time to do so, so it was actually easier for me to just make a solo version and post the group commentary one when it's done. Check out this weird old game with Sweet Tooth in it if you want, and you can even watch the Making Of featurette. Dollface's story begins soon.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Fiendly is an evil dictator who just want to censor our BuffyTVS-chat and me speaking the truth about the evil and treacherous danes.

There wasn't too much to say about the game at times, ok?

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update: Dollface Part 1 | cut commentary

Our final story. You've made it this far, but can you make it... further?

edit: buh, just realized i hosed up the cut commentary version somehow so it still has like 10 seconds of commentary over the first cutscene. fixed version to follow as soon as i can edit and upload it, the uncut version is fine

edit 2: cut commentary version is now cut as expected, links have been updated

Fiendly fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 12, 2020

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Double posting to announce that evidence confirming the customizable skins feature has been found. This link has some examples of skins people made, none of them featuring dick pics but still beyond what the devs could have made themselves due to copyrighted designs.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I'm saddened by the loss of the website, because making ecto 1 square off against the mystery machine sounds like the one but of joy you could scrape from this.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I could see getting Knight Rider in there as well.

Now I really want to see how some of the Mecha-Sweet tooth reskins might have looked.

Seeing some of those customizations, I'm sure that there would have been a flood of tentacle-dick headed sweet tooth designs.

God drat it, just another thing that if they had kept up with, might have kept this game alive. Another missed opportunity.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
It's telling that all three of us commentating this video immediately thought of dicks as soon as the concept of custom skins was brought up. Nothing indicates such abuses were very commonplace though. The internet can't possibly have gotten that much worse in 8 years, can it?

It was a cool feature, but it's another nice garnish on a very lovely meal. If the gameplay and general vibe had lived up to the expectations of the Dark Souls crowd, it would have had a similar shelf life (though online user-submitted stuff might still have shut down by now), but no amount of fancy bonus material would make up for the fact that there's really no game here.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm calling it now, either the entire mask is metaphorical or it "not coming off" is.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Alternate bonus:

Group Commentary version

Finally finished up this bonus video as it was originally recorded, with all three of us going through it together. As mentioned, we had a lot of technical issues during recording, but I was able to edit around them such that they're only directly referenced once. We certainly... had an hour to fill, so we talked about pretty much every possible thing unrelated to the game, and got in our requisite reference to this thing that only Kaboom Dragoon and I and one of our viewers has ever heard before. Perhaps this will spark an ending-of-Saw-esque series of revelations in long-time viewers, or it'll be so incoherent that it continues to make no sense, only one way to find out.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Fiendly posted:

Finally finished up this bonus video as it was originally recorded, with all three of us going through it together. As mentioned, we had a lot of technical issues during recording, but I was able to edit around them such that they're only directly referenced once. We certainly... had an hour to fill, so we talked about pretty much every possible thing unrelated to the game, and got in our requisite reference to this thing that only Kaboom Dragoon and I and one of our viewers has ever heard before. Perhaps this will spark an ending-of-Saw-esque series of revelations in long-time viewers, or it'll be so incoherent that it continues to make no sense, only one way to find out.

Saw, except instead of Billy the Puppet, it's My Baby Dreamer.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I think the best non-commentary part of this was Calypso laughing at you the whole time. Though I suppose in a way that might also count as commentary.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update: Dollface Part 2 | cut commentary

We actually get to see a new level this time, then travel all the way across the country to New York, which may as well be a new level because the first time we saw it was in a cage match. They almost made these stages interesting enough to be worth watching. Almost.

Gulping Again
Mar 10, 2007
So I binged on your prior LPs of this series and god drat, Twisted Metal has just been a real hot mess from the word go, hasn't it? Just a series of terrible decisions that are supported pretty much entirely by entertaining gameplay.

And then for the reboot they decided to drop the entertaining gameplay for terrible gimmicks, as you do.

I bought this game, played through the single player, and put it away before Axel was available to everyone. And then I forgot that it had happened until I found this LP. So if you want a testimonial on the kind of lasting impression that this game, with a big deal brand that they tried to play up as a big marquee title, actually left, there you go.

Gulping Again fucked around with this message at 08:49 on May 22, 2020

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
I like my games sloppy and flawed with really fun, awesome stuff to be found within the mess, so Twisted Metal is the series for me. The only games where the bad outweighs the good are the two that are titled Twisted Metal, but the first one is the shortest of the series by far, the 2012 one is already the longest with more on the way, so just in terms of pure numbers, this is the worst Twisted Metal

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

At least the very first one came out so long ago that you can excuse liking it by being a dumb kid.

This could have been somewhat saved by, ugh, more cutscenes. Fetishistic as they would have undoubtedly been they could have at least done something to drive the player forward.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Update: Dollface Part 3 | cut commentary

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Jesus christ, that boss fight was absurd and took way too loving long. None of this is Twisted Metal.

Also a literal cult of Sweet Tooth worshippers. What the gently caress. Jaffe has really gone too deep into his fantasy.

And seriously why does anyone actually enter this contest when he's killed everyone who's actually won.

And finally WEEBMOBILE: REVENGEANCE.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
I'm going to give Jaffe some amount of credit for the outro, given the fact that it was slowly zooming in on the Calypso Industries logo throughout the radio host saying Twisted Metal isn't real. I read it as "If this sort of batshit mass murdering existed, there would be riots! Nobody would stand for it! People aren't that petty and complacent, right?" *looks meaningfully at camera*

It's the same kind of edgy cynicism we've seen so far, but it got a smile out of me here in TYOOL 2020.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
With Dollface's ending I like to imagine that this is some kind of cross promotion with Fast 6.
After all she did wish to be on the biggest runway in the world.

Incidentally Fiendly and co: you guys could have been watching the entire Fast and Furious franchise instead.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

David D. Davidson posted:

Incidentally Fiendly and co: you guys could have been watching the entire Fast and Furious franchise instead.
Not quite, the LP is gonna come up just under 7 hours when it's done, which is barely enough time to watch up until the F&F series gets "good." I could have watched Vin Diesel's filmography rather than making it though, practice and recording and editing having wasted easily ten times as many hours of my life.

Doopliss posted:

I'm going to give Jaffe some amount of credit for the outro, given the fact that it was slowly zooming in on the Calypso Industries logo throughout the radio host saying Twisted Metal isn't real. I read it as "If this sort of batshit mass murdering existed, there would be riots! Nobody would stand for it! People aren't that petty and complacent, right?" *looks meaningfully at camera*
I didn't make my point particularly well in the moment, but this is a bit of bad writing that I don't blame Jaffe for. Five years ago, I would've totally bought into this as a clever explanation, it's just today that we know a billionaire who is also magical would not even acknowledge the existence of protestors in his obviously evil plans, to the point that this big final moment meant to drive home a major element of the plot wouldn't even be worth bringing up.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

And seriously why does anyone actually enter this contest when he's killed everyone who's actually won.
I've wondered this myself, and also how anyone ever entered Twisted Metal. Apparently no one believes it exists, so how were a serial killer, a biker, and a supermodel selected to participate? Everything about the plot is so overcomplicated and underexplained that the logistics become incomprehensible, and the entire story collapses into meaninglessness as a result, much like how the game has tons of overdesigned levels and mechanics that it never explores or incentivizes players to explore on their own.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

And finally WEEBMOBILE: REVENGEANCE.
Can't believe that we unlocked 16 vehicles just to have one of our default cars that elicited groans of disgust the first time we saw it become the fan favorite, all thanks to a catchy chant. Maybe protests really do work...

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm just wondering why wouldn't there be massive protests if, rather than this Twisted Metal competition getting tons of people killed, you had some gigantic crime wave doing the same thing?

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012

Fiendly posted:

I didn't make my point particularly well in the moment, but this is a bit of bad writing that I don't blame Jaffe for. Five years ago, I would've totally bought into this as a clever explanation, it's just today that we know a billionaire who is also magical would not even acknowledge the existence of protestors in his obviously evil plans, to the point that this big final moment meant to drive home a major element of the plot wouldn't even be worth bringing up.
I also phrased my argument kind of poorly. I think the ending implies that Twisted Metal does exist, and there's no mass outrage because grimdark gently caress humanity cynicism. "Of course there's no protests. What do you take us for, good people?" That might just be a retrospective view because it's 2020 and world is a gently caress, but I think it's in line with the mood established by the rest of the game, and the camera zooming in on Calypso's logo suggests that he's somehow getting the last laugh.

Regardless, you're a goddamn saint for putting yourself through this hellgame for our entertainment.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I have a thought on this, and while it's not great, it would give an explanation.

The entire premise of the Twisted Metal competition is fight against and kill other vehicles/drivers in this tournament to get a wish granted. Whatever your heart desires.

Imagine you are just a spectator in that world - There's a big violent tournament that takes place every year where psychos in tricked out rides kill each other and the last man standing gets a wish. A literal magic wish.

Now most of the endings we see involve people wishing for very personal, selfish things, overall, small in scope - with a few exceptions. Twister, Roadkill (a few times) Outlaw (in black), Grimm in 2012 and probably a few more wish to transport themselves backwards through time, usually to right some injustice. Who else is going to notice that? Warthog wishes for a younger body, Crimson Fury, and a different version of Warthog wish for advanced weaponry, the likes of which a normal person would never see. Most of the Black endings are very one-on-one revenge driven stories. So assuming the tournament is real, what happens as far as anyone looking in is concerned? The fights happened, death and destruction rained down, someone won, and was never heard from again. Why? Well maybe the wished to live a life of luxury on some island somewhere? No one who watches the tournament ever knows what the last winner wished for, so no one would ever suspect that they got screwed over. Any vehicles from previous tournaments are repaired and rebuilt by Calypso (which is why so many vehicles make repeat appearances) and offered to new drivers for the next tournament.

Again, with a few exceptions, the winners are never seen or heard again after they die. Off the top of my head, Mr Slam is embedded in the sidewalk in front of his tower, (which I might add, his fall was not directly caused by Calypso), Specter's face is stretched across the entire sky, Thumper kills most of the city/country/world...Those have lasting changes, and that's about it.

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

To be fair there should be outrage because in THIS twisted metal, multiple stages involve you killing civilians who are extremely unlikely to have consented to participation.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

What a painfully generic ending. All that for a "runway" pun.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
FINALE

Finale Cut Commentary

Finishing off our journey with a brief campaign playing as the game's forgotten character, Preacher. I cobbled together a demonstration of vehicles and levels that were underutilized in the campaign, including the super-powered Juggernaut, then we get to enjoy the remaining 19 minutes of cutscenes that follow Dollface's ending. It's a real blowout to mercifully wrap up this blowout of a game.

This has been my last LP thread. If you want to see the content I'm doing with this group really soon or any other Twisted Metal LPs I might do in the future, hopefully the YouTube algorithm deems that stuff worthy of making its way to you.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I will miss you Fiendly.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
That was it. That was the worst thing of many bad things in this game. Jaffe's obsession with Sweet Tooth went so far that they had to resurrect him not once, but twice in different ways at the same time. I take back the modicum of credit I gave the developers for the "where are the protesters" thing - should have known, really.

Thanks for the good times, Fiendly. See you in my youtube subs.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Above all else it was nice to see what I missed oh so long ago. Thanks for the trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Welp, that last chievo you unlocked sure was fitting, in too many ways.

Thanks for yet another highly entertaining thread (in spite of the game's best efforts). I'll miss'em, though I'm subbed to your youtube channel so I won't be missing future videos.