Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Pretty impressed with New York today. They look tons better than they have all season.

Flip side, wow Dallas. I would have said before this game that they had the best defense in the league, but now... lol

And while I'm typing this, New York gets the pick-6!

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Lol this rules

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
LMAO what IS this poo poo?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
This game is great

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

This game suddenly stopped sucking

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Uhh is Nelson ok after that one

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Hah, did anyone catch the ref smiling when the guy scored? Someone's having a good time

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
New York's center cannot stop snapping the ball high

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

FAT MAN INTERCEPTION

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
lol Nelson is worse than Landry

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

If I told you last week that PJ Walker would throw three picks and Landry Jones would throw none (I mean... it's technically true), would you believe me?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

remember when philip nelson almost killed a guy

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
how's the xfl doing so far?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

No Irish Need Imply posted:

how's the xfl doing so far?

Pretty well, it seems. Tickets are selling well enough, and people are actually buying merchandise.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My understanding is attendance is a mixed bag. Its on decline from early numbers in most cities but really skyrocketing in Seattle and St Louis. Ratings seem to be on a steady decline and that seems troublesome considering serious sports competition will kick off next weekend. I don't know about merchandising but that seems like a tough read since its a private company so it can mess with numbers but it seems like you'd need to be growing your fanbase to really capitalize there.

I'd be curious to see real numbers on money but I doubt we'll ever see that. I'm curious if this thing can come close to breaking even to justify its existence, and its power as a sports rating draw seems like its going to be tested hard starting next week as this week is probably the last in the sports cold zone between the NFL and everyone else getting going or into their playoff pictures.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
I'm curious to see if the XFL can survive losing talent; having talent goes a long way to build a brand, but part of the appeal of the XFL for players is basically it being a season-long audition to get back into the NFL. Houston's fun to watch because of Walker and Cam Phillips, but I feel pretty confident that they'll be back in the NFL after this season. If Houston's losing attendance now with that level of talent on the team, what are they gonna do when they're stuck with a McCloin-level talent as starter?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The XFL is almost certainly hemmorhaging money at the moment due to the decision to sign away broadcast rights for its first year to Fox and ABC/ESPN for free, but that signals to me that the XFL is thinking long-term here. They wouldn't have done that deal if they weren't prepared to lose a lot of money the first year.

I can't tell you if the ratings, merchandise, and ticket sales are good enough to justify its continued existence after this year but the fact that they're taking such a long term view of their league tells me that, barring some serious behind-the-scenes corruption, I'm pretty sure they'll at least play the full schedule this season, which puts them ahead of the AAF.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I'll worry about the XFL when St.Louis stops caring.

I mean, I'm always worried about the XFL, because it is a non-NFL football league. But I think the chances of a season 2 are above 70%.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
lol first sack in three weeks

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Man, Jones really have fallen off. Remember when he was considered the second-best QB in the league?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
kaw is the law

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Greg, he's 30, and you're only like four years older than him. Stop calling him a kid

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
wouldn't be surprised if some of these kickers get picked up for the NFL. Battlehawks' dude is 8/8 and one of the teams that played yesterday has a guy who's hit all 10. Kicker is one of those weird positions that coaches are pretty bad at evaluating so if some guys prove themselves here they might find themselves in the NFL later this year

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Play posted:

wouldn't be surprised if some of these kickers get picked up for the NFL. Battlehawks' dude is 8/8 and one of the teams that played yesterday has a guy who's hit all 10. Kicker is one of those weird positions that coaches are pretty bad at evaluating so if some guys prove themselves here they might find themselves in the NFL later this year

Kicking has been surprisingly good in the league

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

OTOH maybe the reason the kickers are doing so well is the lack of pressure because it's the XFL. Maybe they'd fall apart in the NFL.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

lol before the commercial they had a little card with players from each team and Tyree Jackson had already replaced Cardale Jones on the graphic despite starting less than 10 minutes ago, that was a nice bit of speed photoshopping

Shinji2015 posted:

Kicking has been surprisingly good in the league

sure has, some long ones too

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

K8.0 posted:

OTOH maybe the reason the kickers are doing so well is the lack of pressure because it's the XFL. Maybe they'd fall apart in the NFL.

Maybe, but kicking was atrocious in the AAF, and I'd argue there was less pressure there than in the XFL

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I step away for a second and come back to Greg Olsen talking about hard, growing packages. I guess the XFL 1.0 influence is starting to come back.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Been a good game so far, a bit surprising

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

You start talking about good kicking, and look what happens.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Shinji2015 posted:

Been a good game so far, a bit surprising

i agree, not a lot of scoring but still a fun game to watch. good runs from both teams

drat, bad snap ruined that kickers perfect record by like a foot

Play
Apr 25, 2006

oh my god that play had me laughing so loving hard

e: pressley was tackled by like four guys who then fell down, he daintily stepped over them and continued down the field, never seen one quite like that

Play fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 8, 2020

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I like that the lady sky judge stands up and excitedly uses the Xbox controller like she's in a commercial.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Wasn't Tyree Jackson once considered a sleeper get at QB for the NFL?

Monster arm or something?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
BEER SNAKE

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

There's a beer snake!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Dude just pulled something in his core doing a fist pump and collapsed. That was pretty different

Grittybeard posted:

Wasn't Tyree Jackson once considered a sleeper get at QB for the NFL?

Monster arm or something?

Yeah I feel like the Bills picked him up undrafted, which kind of makes sense as a replacement for Josh Allen. He washed out though, and "sleeper get" is probably overstated

Play fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Mar 8, 2020

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Is the purpose of the beer snake to funnel beer to the players?

Nevermind. I thought the bottoms were cut out. Beer snake is still cool, but not awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Human Crouton posted:

Is the purpose of the beer snake to funnel beer to the players?

No, it’s just a stack of empties. A giant, giant stack. A monument to alcoholism.

I approve.