Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
While we're posting classics, I gotta post about the game that finally convinced me that AAA games are dogshit and that I should forever submit myself to the beautiful obscure. Cicada Marionette's CRYPT WORLDS. Toil in meaninglessness, ignore god, embrace a superior hellworld, piss on everything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEv5k6vk8Js

I also recommend Tape Dream, or exploring the rest of her website. It's a rabbit hole I've been down many times and I'm still not sure how deep it goes.

Also, there are millions of free games. Probably. They never stop! My proof of this and favorite resource is Warpdoor. It's a blog that features games. Not everything listed is always free but everything is definitely DIY indie or at least interesting or at least weird, and paid games are always linked as "Purchase on whateverplatform" for easy scrolling-past at a glance. They've been at it for years. It's updated regularly. I have never seen even one comment on a single post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Mordja posted:

It's also 96 kilobytes, which is my main reason for posting it. Just a cool example of demoscene,

In the same spirit, Cryptic Sea AKA Alex Austin (probably best known as the programmer of Gish) has a super unique flight simish deathmatch and strategy game called A New Zero packaged in just under 1mb. It's tremendously fun and maintained a small community for years but that's in the past, although if you can't gather a few people to play it with the bots work well enough to entertain in either game mode.

Similarly, another of his games, Hockey? is a goofy hockey sim that formed a grassroots tourney scene complete with shoutcasted matches years and years ago, and it's still sort of kicking along. People are still playing it occassionally, anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJwF0eOoTcs&t=595s

Content warning: note that these are hockey fans, along with all the baggage being a hockey fan generally entails. I haven't kept up with the scene but there was a decent amount of homophobia back in the day.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Shooting Blanks posted:

How's the player base for this? The original Enemy Territory is still one of my favorite multiplayer FPS games of all time - I wish someone would do a proper reboot but I'd try the port if there are enough people around.

Dirty Bomb was pretty great spiritual sequel until Splash Damage shut it down last year. Servers are apparently still running, but it's a little late to be jumping in. I'd be game to get an ET group going for some matches if anyone else is. I have a number of friends and old FPS organizing groups to pull from so it shouldn't be too difficult to get something happening for a little bit.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

jonsicoli posted:

E: Haunted Ps1 demo disc. not actually haunted if you want a collection of cool itch.io game demos with that texture-distorty, bitcrushed stank, give this one a try.

Sauna 2000 is only available on the demo disk for now and it's TOP TEIR Haunted PS1. I can't recommend it enough if you like games like Paratopic. I was surprised to find it's actually a demo as there's plenty to find with multiple playthroughs.