Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

And I'm talking free games, period. You find them online at armor games, kongregate, itch.io, everywhere. You find them on steam and on personal websites.

Tell me what the good ones are, tell me about the ones you played in middle school, tell me about the bad ones. New, old, I don't care.

Here's a sampler to get started:

Sand Game: a variant on classic sand/physics simulators. This one isn't the one I remember as it lacks SNAIL, but it has ANT and BIRD as well as C-4. Uses java.

Sand: another sand game, well, toy. Shush, I like these. They're weird and fun to fiddle with.

Iji: Now THIS is one of the best free games you will ever play. It's a metroidvania game where you can choose to be violent or non-violent, and the story is extremely reactive as a result. You have to download it, but it's worth it.

Doki Doki Literature Club: Contains Steam as DRM, but is otherwise free. A short (2 hours or less) visual novel that gets meta in a horror way. I enjoyed it a lot!

DoomRL: A roguelike where you shoot demons, and easily one of the best roguelikes.

A few requests: I'd prefer it if we kept to entirely free games, which rules out F2P games such as Destiny 2. I know that games like this have a lot of content, but they do eventually ask you to pony up. Stick to stuff you can complete for no cash.

I'd also prefer it if we kept to games that were free from the start, so again, Destiny doesn't work as it was originally sold for money. Give me something like bunni or knytt or anything worthwhile from the free tag at jayisgames.

Meant as a companion thread to the other free games thread.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Mar 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Demon! It's Shin Megami Tensei fusion mechanics/demon-summoning in a roguelike! It's free, it's pretty, and it's fun!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

one night, hot springs - a very very short visual novel about a transgender woman in japan. It is incredibly honest and wholesome, and you should read it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mordja posted:

You can still download .kkrieger. It's not actually good but it's neat for what it is.
https://kkrieger.en.softonic.com/

Gave this a shot and you're right, it's not very good...but drat if that atmosphere isn't haunting. It gives up a very...the Void kind of vibe, like you're in a place you absolutely shouldn't be. I love it!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Artelier posted:

A Yahtzee classic is Trilby - The Art of Theft. Basically a 2D sidescrolling Thief game. I think it's the same character from the point and click series? Not too sure, I tend to avoid horror.

It is the same character! That specific game is a prequel, before Trilby got caught up in supernatural nonsense.

Speaking of, all of Yahtzee's games are here. The Chzo Mythos, 1213, everything else. I highly recommend the Chzo Mythos (5 Days A Stranger to start) as a fun horror point n' click adventure with some actually good writing. For an indie effort, it's really compelling.

Double bonus: when Quovak LPed the entire series Yahtzee logged into his old account in the thread and commented on it, taking the critical look at the games like a good sport. If you have archives, it's worth a read!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Sparq posted:

Warzone 2100. Early 3D strategy game, released on the PC and Playstation. It has aged surprisingly well. A game where you battle for map dominance while you design and build an army of drone tanks and aircraft, being able to customize them between different chassis, propulsions, and weapons. It went open source and has been perfected and expanded by a team of modders called The Project. The campaign is good, and lets you build a homebase on one map while sending away teams to specific missions on other maps.

Here's the link: https://www.wz2100.net

It's also available on steam for free!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Popped open my itch.io dash today and here are two free things:

souls of dead humans coagulate into crystals - "this is a zero player diorama. over time program will automatically vary different parameters: the precipitation rate, wind, turbulence, water level, etc.. in addition, the city and floating platforms are rebuilt over time (quite gently in this diorama). crystals form and dissolve in alternating phases, like snowflakes. interactions between systems result in changing output."

MADNESS OF THE COASTAL STRUCTURE - it's an interactive fiction THING with an old-school interface, weird writing, and dice rolling

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Whybird posted:

So I did have a bit of an ulterior motive in posting to this thread: I've just finished coding my first game, and it's free (and will always be free).

It's called Robostar -- it's a twinstick shooter with about two hours of gameplay, dialogue, multiple endings, places to explore and loot to find.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6DwIZ0HYE0
Game: https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

That is a radical title screen! Will actually play it soonish, my migraine says nothing too flashy right now

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

In case you're not aware, rock paper shotgun does a free game feature on a regular basis called priceless play. Here's today's listings.

Most important to me is the digital pet collection. It contains a homeless pigeon!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/odaminowin/status/1098233795713601537

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Holy poo poo, I think I backed your failed kickstarter back in the day, glad to see you kept working on this!

Also as thread OP I decree that self-promo is fine, just don't spam. More free cool games is always good!