Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
You can still download .kkrieger. It's not actually good but it's neat for what it is.
https://kkrieger.en.softonic.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

StrixNebulosa posted:

Gave this a shot and you're right, it's not very good...but drat if that atmosphere isn't haunting. It gives up a very...the Void kind of vibe, like you're in a place you absolutely shouldn't be. I love it!

It's also 96 kilobytes, which is my main reason for posting it. Just a cool example of demoscene,

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Anyway, here's an old, free game that's probably only really fun if you have someone sharing the keyboard. I'd be surprised if anyone knows of this one. Tremor 3, a top down deathmatch game that me and my brother only ever really against the AI. The twist is that said AI is actually a roaming, giant robot boss that can really mess you up. We actually played it again on a trip a couple years back and it was still a lot of fun. I was always sad the game was never expanded or got a sequel.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Entorwellian posted:

https://play0ad.com/

0 A.D. is 3d open source take on Age of Empires 2 about 10 years ago. It's still being updated to this day and is really good in its own right.

Isn't it more like AoE1 given its antiquity setting? Thematically, I mean, I haven't played in years, but I recall it also has RoN-like territory control.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I thought Company of Heroes Online was really really fun. I miss that game.

Oh, I dunno, some of those special units were ridiculous, like that jeep that could call in mortar strikes at will.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Couple of big Tiberian Sun mods turned standalone games. Dawn of the Tiberium Age is an expanded remake of the original C&C and Red Alert.

Meanwhile Twisted Insurrection takes place in an alternate Tiberian timeline where NOD won the first war.

Both games feature their own singleplayer campaigns, skirmish modes, and multiplayer.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 15, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah, whoops!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

How is it that they are able to release these as standalone downloads? Not that I'm complaining
The C&C games up to TS were released as freeware years back and these two mods are building off of that engine. As well as a bunch of community enhancements, of course.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
There's also a demo for Soldat 2, but that might end up being paid? I guess the original had a free and a premium version so maybe it'll follow that same route.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
There are a tonne of Freespace 2 mods and many of them are completely standalone. What this means is all you have to do is install the Knossos launcher and download them through that. Here are some of the big ones.

The Babylon Project is one of the first TCs released from the game and adapts Babylon 5 dogfighting to the FS2 engine. I never watched the show so I've no clue how accurate it is but it's well worth a look. Comes with a bunch of short campaigns and one-off missions.
Another tv-show-made-game, Diaspora is a Battlestar Galactica Mod. Short but sweet.
Wing Commander Saga is something of a fan-remake of the WC original games, featuring a large, fully-voiced campaign complete that probably retells that story. I dunno, never played those old titles.
Solaris is more of a military sci-fi game, currently only the first 10 missions have been released. It uses a similar combat engine to Diaspora, meaning no shields and the ability to engage semi-Newtonian physics.
Finally, you've got Wings of Dawn: E1&2, which is anime as all hell. It's probably also my favourite FS2 mod and that includes Blue Planet because of how wild it goes with its mission design and bossfights and missile swarms. Definitely worth a go!