Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
A great team-based/objective-based/class-based WW2 FPS in the Quake3 engine.
The main site is here: https://www.splashdamage.com/games/wolfenstein-enemy-territory/
But that's more for historical purposes...

Since the source code has been released, a source port is actively being worked on called ET: Legacy.
"The main goal of this project is to fix bugs, remove old dependencies and make it playable on all major operating systems while still remaining compatible with the ET 2.60b version and as many of its mods as possible."
In practical terms this means things like support widescreen resolutions natively, and working on modern operating systems without faffing around.
https://www.etlegacy.com

ET Legacy cannot/does not distribute the copyright assets from the official ET installer. When you run the installer it will offer to download them but that can be pretty slow. It may be quicker to download and install the old version from Splash Damage, then when you run the Legacy installer it will detect that and copy the .pk3 files across. You can uninstall the old version after that if you wish.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Artelier posted:

Might have missed this on the ET site, but is there a way to play with bots? I like just firing these kind of games up to get some rounds in. I still have UT2k4 installed for this reason, though that's definitely not free.

Absolutely, if you download ET Legacy when you run the installer there is an option to also download and configure omnibot. Then you can start a local game and add bots to fill the teams.
The bots obviously do not play like real players but they will do objectives and you can change the firefight skill to make them pretty hard.

P.S. I should have mentioned earlier that ET Legacy cannot/does not distribute the copyright assets from the official ET installer. When you run the installer it will offer to download them but that can be pretty slow. It may be quicker to download and install the old version from Splash Damage, then when you run the Legacy installer it will detect that and copy the .pk3 files across. You can uninstall the old version after that if you wish.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Mar 10, 2020

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Shooting Blanks posted:

How's the player base for this? The original Enemy Territory is still one of my favorite multiplayer FPS games of all time - I wish someone would do a proper reboot but I'd try the port if there are enough people around.

Yeah, that is a problem. There are active servers but being an old game like this with hangers on they have regulars and busy times and otherwise are empty.
You can check out servers here:
http://et.splatterladder.com/?mod=serverlist
(red numbers are bots)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Guess what just hit Steam, baby!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/638490/Soldat/

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I gotta say that while I love Soldat in a LAN setting I'm not sure I could bear going into online matchmaking and getting destroyed by people.