Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Long Beach is hard because delaying that build-up of the course is basically impossible. Races at existing road courses should be easier. At least there's a few weekends in July and August that might get freed up soon too :v:

wonder if they're going to call up Watkins Glen again to replace a canceled event. Watkins Glen: IndyCar's Permanent Booty Call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

WindyMan posted:

Long Beach is extra-difficult because of the convention center and arena in the middle of the track. Even if you can close down the streets for a weekend, you can't block access to the venues for the other events that may be taking place there.

I thought they used the convention center as a paddock for the weekend? So moving another event out that weekend is even more impossible.

I just thought from the street circuit build-out point of view, it’s a month-plus period of time to get all the barriers, fences, and seating ready for the LBGP.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

WindyMan posted:

It's a nice article about Mario. He's doing fine, he's healthy, he can't wait to jump back into the 2-seater.

Aldo is doing alright, too. :unsmith:

God it has to be rough for Aldo losing his son (gently caress cancer).

Love that attitude from Mario. He’s an absolute national treasure.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Miller has a new column up

quote:

But wait. There is a ray of sunshine in this pandemic: it’s the perfect time for a phone call to Robert William Unser.

Never a bad time to get more Uncle Bobby stories.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

In case anyone here hasn't listened to it yet, Marshall Pruett's podcast with Uncle Bobby is a must-listen.

Both Pruett’s discussions and also the Dinner with Racers episode with Uncle Bobby are absolutely priceless. Uncle Bobby is a treasure.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Wickens :unsmith:

Cygni posted:

https://racer.com/2020/03/27/wickens-set-for-virtual-racing-return/

Also Harvey and Dixon aren't in it cause all the stuff they ordered hasn't shown up yet, ha. So they should be in the next one.

Dixon: DNS (UPS)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Space Racist posted:

TIL Sage Karam is into PC building.

he had a quick chat with Marshall Pruett recently, sounds like he's taking sim racing more seriously after getting into a Porsche competition last year.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Something about those just seems off....

(The iRacing events hosted by the Dinner with Racers guys tap into similar “multi-class racing” vibes for sure)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Junior’s car looks sharp

https://twitter.com/DaleJr/status/1248020070632017921

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

I loving love that PC sims let you have huge fields of whatever the gently caress you like. I'm forever doing poo poo like just throwing 35 F1 and Indycars cars of every era onto Silverstone National.

They did a Sebring 12hr where some of the classes included trophy trucks, midgets, and Miatas.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I’m glad that it existed and raced, but I don’t think it’s the right solution for a full field of IndyCars. The DW12 has turned into a real good chassis and the current aero is really good for racing.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

They could have 30+ at the big ovals NASCAR also runs because the infrastructure for that many teams (garages and pit setups) should be there, for some other places it might be tighter.

Or we have Gilligan’s Island situations again.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

WindyMan posted:

Yes, they need the clearance due to the smaller turning radius. NASCAR pit boxes are ideally 25 feet, Indycar pitboxes are 40+ feet with Indy having 47ft boxes.

If they need more space wouldn’t that mean it’s a larger turning radius?

I also didn’t know the differences were so stark. Huh! Almost double. Wow.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Sage teaching Tony Kanaan all the tips is pretty fun to hear.

Also Sage “Just a tip, anybody using an old Formula 1 scheme is a weapon” lol

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Custard Undies posted:

Driven is an amazing movie!

But just not on purpose!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

https://streamable.com/obvvq9

Good to know everyone else hates Ferrucci, too

The guy who barely got to wear headphones in the back of a Haas garage calling somebody who spent a full season in F1 “not a real driver” is...whew.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

well that was certainly a last lap :stare:

Santino is such a money-poisoned dipshit

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I think every plan of re-opening -- and especially re-opening with fans -- for every single racing or sport series should be taken with a mountain of salt, in the form of "they have contractual reasons to try and make sure things happen."

I'm sure privately all of these groups know it's an uphill battle, but when it's their job to get races going again?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

NASCAR is still going first, right? So they can judge and see how well that actually works.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Man 1998 takes me back. I loved Zanardi at the time, and hated seeing him struggle at Williams the next year.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Minto Took posted:

Ferrari absolutely should.

I feel like Mario is really soft-pedaling what would be needed for Ferrari to join.

• allowance for Ferrari to make their own chassis, possibly without the requirement to sell to privateers
  • allowance for Ferrari to make their own engines
  • requirement that they keep things fairly balanced along with Dallara on chassis side, and Chevy and Honda on the engine side

nobody in IndyCar right now wants to has the cash to go into a late-90s style spending war on car or engine development, which has been secretly one of the reasons why the racing is so drat good. Honda and Chevy play nice, there's one spec chassis and dampers are really the only spot the teams can work on at all. Tobacco money isn't walking through that door. Manufacturer money is tied up keeping 12+ cars on the grid for most races, and more for The 500.

if Marchionne's passing meant money went to Sauber instead of Alfa-Romeo becoming a third IndyCar engine brand, that's kind of a real sad sliding doors moment. I'm sure IndyCar will be fine, but that...that was the one.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Minto Took posted:

tbh, I see ICS as the perfect platform for Ferrari's, "aerodynamics are for people who can't make engines" ethos. Just have Ferrari supply engines and keep it all Dallara chassis.

Ferrari, due to the incoming F1 cost caps, are looking at places to put staff and resources to justify the Philip Morris money to save people’s jobs. And Ferrari are also wanting to make everything on the car, because they want to maximize resale collector value they want their vehicles to be pure Scud.

Given that Ferrari already made bad noises about having to partner with a LMP2 company to qualify for the LMDh ruleset (because see above), I don’t see them wanting to come to IndyCar as an engine-maker only. And I don’t see them being okay to supply 1/3 of the grid as ICS and the current engine partners would want, or to have the agreements in place to limit development that Chevy and Honda have now.

(An aside: this detente between Honda and Chevy is why the racing is so good. A similar setup appears to have been in place in the DTM for a long time before BMW came in and didn’t play by those gentlemen’s agreements. Look at the state of the DTM right now).

So. If Ferrari come in as a team and engine maker, the best-case scenario is them swallowing that they’ll have to use Dallara chassis, and open up to supplying their team (let’s say of two cars) plus providing “Alfa-Romeo” engines to another group of teams.

Does that sound like something that would interest Ferrari? I don’t think it does.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

I think Ferrari is more likely to do LMDh than IndyCar, the Le Mans heritage is strong there, but if they did both I'd love it.

e: I wish jag would get their heads out of their asses wrt motorsports and start doing more sportscar racing again

I think they're a possibility to pull a Ferrari 333SP and stick an engine into the Dallara. The question is "who would be the customer," but I think there's enough need to cover-off the loss of GTE-Pro in the future that they could justify the project.

also yeah Jag's current ownership doesn't know what the gently caress they're doing. iPace trophy isn't worth a drat.

Minto Took posted:

Also, fwiw, Peugeot did run and win Indianapolis with a factory team. :v:

same as my opinion of college football, pre-war doesn't count :v:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dudley posted:

I don't see it, simply because you can't win in LMDh, they'll just BoP you until it's "Your turn" again. Ferrari will go places they can dominate. *

* In theory, if they weren't shithouse.

I can imagine them treating an LMDh program same as they did 333SP or the current GTE program, where there's a pro team but it's not Philip Morris Scuderia Ferrari running it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

hunnert car pileup posted:

they seem to be OK at it in WRC though

perhaps all their racing programs should be run out of Tommi Makinen's shed

Toyota in WRC had the greatest cheat of all time once too, so they've got that on their record. Plus the US IMSA GTP team curb-stomped that rules set into the dust as well.

I still don't see Ferrari to IndyCar, but hey, I guess we'll see if they can run Mission Winnow in the U.S. :v:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Frond posted:

I've been to the Toronto Molson/Honda Indy weekend since 1992 more or less. Bummer it's been cancelled.

I'm pretty sure IMSA's revised calendar is missing Canadian Tire Motorsport Park (Mosport) as well for a very simple reason: crossing the border.

for the Toronto race, the choice would have to be made early due to the track setup and teardown plans as well.

here's hoping 2021 is more or less back to normal. I'm guessing even this schedule gets shifted around.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

"give me four good ones...some time this fall"

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

Marco losing that 500 to Hornish probably ruined his confidence personally.

honestly wish we could have had Marco win that instead. would have been a much, much better and bigger story.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

bless Paul Page for having a good sense of humor and doing that, god I love those wonderful idiots.

quick somebody get Ryan an account and figure out what Sean's account is.

also

Spaced God posted:

Paul Page unretire bitch

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Vasukhani posted:

why would people be mad at sato? dude drives fearlessly and it did a lot of good for indy in japan

one dude worked himself into a newspaper column about flying the Japanese flag in celebration at Indy and what about the war yadda yadda that wound up getting him canned in a matter of days.

but yeah for somebody who'd done well and become a real fan favorite in the U.S. to win Indy after his close call a couple years prior, Sato absolutely earned it, and that really impacted how the sport was seen here. I think Sato is really the standout Japanese driver of his generation from a popularity and skill standpoint.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

This is excellent

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

so Racer's write-up of the event has something a bit different compared to the norm.

after the article Pruett penned about only letting in "certain" photographers, not surprising they went this route for event coverage. wonder where the illustrator was based, or watching on TV at home?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Dude wrecked twice in one day. I wonder when the last time that happened was.

I'm sure the money he brings helps but I guarantee you he looked at that result and then he looked at the guy in his mirrors that he already has signed for part of a season.

I’m about 3/4 of the way through watching the race and Daly needs a full-time ride like right now.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think part of what made this race a bit processional was the tire situation. At 35 laps a stint max and no major falloff from beginning to end (Josef excluded) there isn't any room for pit strategy.

Yeah, and the tire situation was due to a change in the track and Firestone (understandably in this case) not having testing time and trying to play it safe.

Sato most likely crashed because his usual high line is now slippery thanks to that update.

A stance I’ve really come around on is that teams (in all series, including IndyCar but also F1) should have far less data available and chances to crunch the data during a weekend. Because they have so many resources (people/computing power/models/simulations) the biggest teams can put the numbers they’re seeing in and get a setup out. NASCAR having races where they come off the truck and run has proven to be more interesting. It’s the reason why mixed conditions races - wet to dry, dry to wet and back, etc - seem to be so interesting.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

watching the end of the race and just noticed that Penske teams are having one pit crew member dress in a different colored fire suit -- the right-front tire man. JoNew's pit crew was in black and his right-front guy was in white, for Pagenaud his right-front guy was in a red suit.

Doesn't happen without a reason, so wondering if Perfect Penske has found another little life-hack for pit stops.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I went and saw this today

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Frond posted:

96i correct?

Yep. At Honda’s museum at Twin Ring.

[edit] vvvvvv no on-board starter :v:

harperdc fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 16, 2020

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Minto Took posted:

I'd love to see Toyota come back if only for races at Fuji.

I guess Suzuka could happen now since nobody in F1 cares about Bernie anymore.

Suzuka would be the better circuit, but I think the current cars would be racy at the Motegi road course. And the oval is still standing, just would need a little work. The facility is pretty nice all told, just a little ways from Tokyo -- both it and Fuji are cases where you take the highway out and then have to follow two-lane roads for a long while, with Fuji being a bit more populated and a little bit closer to the highway.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

But if it's in Honda's collection, they keep everything needed to run the car. So somewhere in that museum is the starter, along with some vintage laptops.

That’s just a Grand Theft Auto mission waiting to happen.

Twin Ring and Fuji both have a lot more elevation change than you’d think, and Motegi road course looks like it’s easier to get access around the circuit. Some of the banks around the downhill back straight at Motegi give you a view of almost the entire road course. Might not be the most exciting layout for cars, but I’m much more curious about seeing a race there now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Frond posted:

I’d like them to go to Sugo which is massively underrated.

It’s like the dreams of international series going to Road America.