Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Spaced God posted:

Hell yeah ground floor

In actual posting, Austin has banned all events with a crowd more than 2,500 people for the foreseeable future. I wonder how that'll affect the COTA race

gonna guess that and the MotoGP race there are getting postponed at best

prob gonna be issues at Long Beach too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/gpstpete/status/1237054537690685442?s=21

a bunch of people are replying all pissy about david land not being in this

a good omission by the organizers

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

yeah, to my knowledge

I'd imagine the 500 would be postponed at worst. Not like they can't reschedule IMS for whenever unless this poo poo gets even worse in the summer. it will :suicide:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

been working from home for a week and a half and watching some old races during the day.

has there been a race with more violent wrecks than the '84 Michigan 500? loving hell...

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

SI is obv pretty :barf: right now, but here's a longform on Randy Lanier for anyone interested:

https://www.si.com/longform/true-crime/randy-lanier-indycar-drug-smuggler/index.html

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

just watching this now

gg Cooganqvist

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Ross has talked about driving for some super underfunded teams in his driving books and not being able to push as much as he liked due to lack of spares. Wouldn't shock me if they had no replacements available.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Bunch of the Indycar guys are doing an iracing stream at Suzuka right now. Newgarden is loving hauling rear end after binning it twice on the first 2 laps.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

someone is Totally Not Mad about being called a gamer

https://twitter.com/champwebdotnet/status/1251931720858902529

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

enjoy a night at the movies with Marshall Pruett:
https://marshallpruettpodcast.com/the-marshall-pruett-podcasts-guide-to-driven/

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I want a sad version of the Delta Force theme, like the downtrodden version of America gently caress Yeah

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Vasukhani posted:

i might just have to put it in minor key over a montage of Tony George era fails

just put it over the starting grid for the '97 500

Frond posted:

I watched the ‘96 IRL “season”...I had low expectations but Christ it was even worse than I imagined.

I think that at least the '96 500 is a pretty decent race if you can tune out, well, everything surrounding the ordeal. The starting grid is ok and not as bad as it would later get, and Salazar driving like a Brazilian on GT Sport is p fun.

Everything else? ehhhhh....

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 1, 2020

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Newgarden's Forza streams are pretty fun. They ran limos at Long Beach the other night and it owned.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Sage going loving flying was awesome

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

I can't tell if I liked that or I hate all the drivers who turned others.

yes

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

holy poo poo is that screen genuinely unpleasant to look at

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

gonna wager that some of Are Lando's creepy fans are big mad at Simon

https://twitter.com/marshallpruett/status/1257469905927958528

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

being a fan of AOWR throughout the aughts was a great primer for races w/no fans tbh

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I decided to binge watch through the '98 CART season this week since I'm working from home now, and I thought I'd post some random thoughts from it here. I haven't seen a lot of it since I initially watched it as a kid, and most of the stuff I watch now on YT is either from the '70s or '80s.

- Man, Zanardi is so much fun to watch again. Wasn't a fan of him as a kid since he won all the drat time, and I feel bad that I didn't appreciate him then.

- Facepalming at my favorite driver from then (GdF) being a threat in drat near every race before invariably getting struck down.

- LOL Paul Tracy.

- I perversely love the Rio oval. The road course sucked for everything aside from motorcycle racing, but I loved the oval's charm of making everyone forget how to drive. And the final pass from Moore on Zanardi was loving awesome.

- LOL Paul Tracy.

- Boy was the US 500 conflicting to watch--an all time great race that really should've been called after the spectator incident.

- That first Houston track was so wretched but I found the race to be hilariously entertaining. The pre race segment w/the driver's SOs was sure something to watch in hindsight. Also LOL Paul Tracy.

- Ribeiro has been completely anonymous this season aside from loving up. Even Al Jr. with all his demons and that poo poo car was still capable of a few pretty good showings.

- I loved that finale. Super fun race that felt like a BFD even with the title wrapped up beforehand. Would've much rather seen that pushed as their flagship race than the US 500. And yet more LOL Paul Tracy.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

'97 was when he came from the back to win. I remember that and his batshit crazy race from Vancouver that year pretty well.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

haha red racecar go vroom

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

got a link to all these 1998 cart races? i'd love a watch

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBB5A1383616A236B

Long Beach indeed owned as noted.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Potential hot take here, but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility to say Indycar wouldn't be in too different a spot today even if the split never happened, taking into consideration the tobacco $ going bye bye and the economy tanking. As noted, there's no way the kind of spending going on was gonna last.

I suppose the biggest difference would be a better, non-fractured fanbase, especially through the mid/late aughts.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

That car is loving beautiful in person.

Also, I'm up to St Louis '99 this week, and god drat did I chortle at Blundell's Motorola-branded neckbrace. Talladega Nights didn't go far enough.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I liked when Toyota joined F1 and pumped hundreds of millions into R&D and didn't win or even came close.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Vando posted:

Yeah Toyota are the only ones allowed to try it because they've proven they're just really bad at winning so it works out ok

they seem to be OK at it in WRC though

perhaps all their racing programs should be run out of Tommi Makinen's shed

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Nothing would top Nigel whinging "I feel really sick" and his crew telling him "You have a one lap lead, Nigel" (shut the gently caress up and drive the car).

Steve Olvey's chapter on Nigel in Rapid Response is pretty funny.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

The Forces have hogged the spotlight enough in drag racing for the past 30 years, so I'm ok keeping 'em there.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

was supposed to be at carb day, but I did finally check out Uppity today and found it a very good watch

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

The better half race is up now.

Pro Mazdas at St Louis, also an inverted grid for the 2nd heat.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

this Monteiro feller is p good at Indy

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

first race was really fun. Kanaan chromehorns Bourdais coming to the last lap and Jack Harvey's gf wins by .003.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Considering his lineage, I wish Matty Brabham had gotten a decent shot. I'd still rate Geoff as probably the best Indycar driver to not win a race.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I'm gonna miss indy lights and all 6 of their cars.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

incoming babyface turn:

https://twitter.com/SageKaram/status/1267451289878888449

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I was at that 500 and literally no one around me was mad that Sato won.

Sato haters can get hosed. Checkers or wreckers racers are the best.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I posted this in the NASCAR thread, but apparently Nashville Superspeedway is coming back to life, and the track owners would like to bring Indycar back as well from what I've read.

That'd be cool, especially with it being Newgarden's hometown.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I'd be cool w/the 500 being the finale this year

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

I think it'd be fine. October is still fairly warm here usually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Not a chance lol. Just given the circumstances this year.