Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I've been so loving hyped for this season that if they start canceling Indycar races I'm probably gonna lose my poo poo and end up a drunken mess playing racing board games like Formula De alone every Sunday.

I'm working at a blood bank nowadays, and the volume of cancelled drives amid virus concerns such as large companies and schools not wanting ANY outside personnel coming onto the property (including our phlebotomists), as well as outright closing up shop and telling people to work/learn from home if possible has seen our inventory levels plummet this week. Now's not a good time to need a transfusion, bros. They're going to start parking the mobile donor buses outside of well trafficked areas and yelling HAY ARE YOU SICK? NO?! COME DONATE! at people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

While this event was more entertaining to watch than a few others, it's still nowhere near scratching the same itch as an actual race, and all these MOTORSPORT BETTER TAKE NOTICE, ESPORTS IS HERE TO STAY articles floating around racing websites are dumb as gently caress. Here's hoping for Detroit running as planned, I guess.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

lmao Indycar iracing is dumb as gently caress, do something super dangerous with more cars than should be allowed every time from now on imo

I want 40 cars at Fontana goddamnit

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Cygni posted:

im pretty sure thats what 31 cars at michigan was, but they binned half the cars on the first lap

Yes, more of that plz

Dale Jr. on the podium, a Pagenaud win, I'm happy with this fake race for video game nerds.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

That Dale Jr. post-race interview lol

"No."

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I got my tickets with no parking passes as well, though it was kind of odd at the time.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

It had some entertaining moments, but iracing makes garbage rear end TV and I will throw all of this poo poo in the trash the moment a real Indycar fires up, and never think about it again.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Death threats and N-bombs have permeated online gaming since it's inception. I'm actually surprised we haven't heard threats of rape from one driver to the next, tbh. People that play a LOT of competitive video games are generally garbage human beings. Even having iracing put on an Indycar race at Indianapolis on mainstream television and only letting real drivers enter the game couldn't prevent things from devolving into typical online fuckery. Ramming people on purpose, taking risks they could never get away with in real life, and straight up ruining the race because they don't like how things are going was a foregone conclusion.

Does anyone think we're still gonna be racing in Texas a month from now? I can't see it happening.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Marion County, IN (where Indianapolis is) has extended their "Stay-At-Home" order until May 15th. A great deal of local businesses are not planning on reopening even at reduced capacity until June. As far as I'm aware, the restrictions on gatherings will expire on July 4th, just before the Indy GP/NASCAR double header. This is the current plan, and I sincerely loving doubt it will stand.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Kirkwood is still coming after RHR's seat imo

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

MazeOfTzeentch posted:

It's race day, lads!

e: I definitely bought the gold pass just so I could get some more IndyCars in my life today. Practice starts at 1pm EDT

Same, definitely a SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY moment when I saw practice was on gold only. A shame we lost Lights for this year, their coverage in 2019 was definitely an improvement. With the condensed schedule for today, I assume anyone experiencing serious technical issues (or a crash) is pretty much done for at this point. I'm also apprehensive about the mandatory tire stops at what, 35 laps maximum? I don't know how that's gonna shake things up, but either way I'm thrilled to see cars on track again.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

RHR in the wall, Dixon to the top of the chart, rookies fighting it out in the top 10, Indycar is loving back my dudes.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I'm just happy my boy Charlie didn't let me down in the end.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

It was originally a three week stretch from Texas to Richmond anyway. With the cancellation of that and bumping the Indy GP to July 4th, it's a slightly longer stretch.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Power just pinballing through the field, drat

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Daly P1 for tonight's race, pretty amazing for both him and Carlin.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

devmd01 posted:

Just got my ticket confirmation for IMS, I get to keep my two tickets but shifted down one row and on the aisle.

We got 3/4 of ours, which is perfect since we won't be bringing a guest this year anyhow.

Also, Portland and Laguna Seca are out, Gateway and Harvest GP double headers are in.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Mid-Ohio races postponed, possible Sept-Oct future date.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

It's definitely the right decision, but it still sucks. I'm wondering now if St. Louis is in jeopardy as well.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Helio was still competitive up to his last full time year, but I don't miss him, and would rather see other people get a chance than bring him back for a disappointing final go.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Casual reminder that most of the event-specific shirts at shop.ims.com go on sale for between $2.50-15.00 every year in early December. Lots of other merch goes for super cheap as well.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

lmao O'Ward is classified as a rookie for the 2020 Indy 500 cuz he got fukkin bumped last year?! Are they making him do rookie orientation and whatnot again?

ouch oof ow

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

lmao Alonso

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

lmao SEXY SHOES

PT is gross.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

And they were just like, some bright rear end heels. Not thigh-high platforms or some poo poo, just plain old heels. PT referred to them as "sexy" at least a couple of times. Like, I'm not gonna trying to call chauvinism, but come the gently caress on with this weird creeper poo poo NBC. The broadcast booth is a little stale with Bell and Tracy already, now he's spending his on-air time ogling women's feet?

But yeah this year I'm just glad the 500 is up and running, something like 2/3rds of the field is comprised of drivers I'd like to see win this time around. Karam brushed the wall in practice today, I think Kimball did the same in an earlier session. Alonso is working with a repaired car after the indignity of being the only driver to wreck thus far, but other than that the on-track sessions leading up to the race have been relatively smooth. I'm pretty optimistic for a good race this weekend.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

I will be satisfied with nothing less than a Space Force orbital flyover.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

very presidential of our man PT

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

The best part of race 2 at Gateway was when they did a "First Responders" parade which was 95% cops from Missouri and Illinois with like two ambulances in the back. Everyone around us was cheering for them, so when they came by the start/finish line I put my hands up and yelled "Don't Shoot!" Anyway, I'll have a three piece chicken tenders with a biscuit.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

That Braden Eves crash in Indy Pro 2000! I don't think I've seen a flip on the road course before, let alone int the middle of the Road to Indy ladder.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

They said he was reporting a vibration for at least half the lap prior, hard to tell with the camera work but I didn't think he made contact elsewhere, though he and Petrov got close at turn 1 at some point. A mechanical failure maybe? Slight damage that got worse over time? No idea.

Edit: Reported right rear vibration, left rear came off. Even more ???

Reynold fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 4, 2020

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Vasukhani posted:

dude almost died

He put out a video the other day from his hospital bed while wearing a neck brace. Dude fractured his neck in a few places and his right eye socket, definitely out for the season at least. I still don't get what caused the wreck, but I hope they throw halos on these RTI cars for next year. I thought the halo/aeroscreen looked kinda bad and fundamentally altered the "classic look" of open wheel cars when they were first being introduced, but at this point a halo is practically invisible to me and I'd rather move forward with safety than not if it can keep up and coming drivers from experiencing life-altering injuries.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

The last thing I remember Marco doing is surprising everyone with a pole position at Detroit in 2018. This Indy 500 pole is likely the high water mark for him. Six poles (?) and two wins in his whole Indycar career, spanning 15 years. And it's been a decade since that last win. I've never been a fan, but I can see how *~*tHe AnDrEtTi nAmE*~* sometimes pulls people in to cheer for him when he makes a few good moves. I think his time is done though, and would love to see someone else get a shot in that ride rather than watching Marco spend another decade floundering at the tail end of the points standings. Make way for Kirkwood in 2022 imo.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Drivers like Graham Rahal and James Hinchcliffe, who have a half dozen wins each in the series over their careers, are commonly considered to be journeymen, and no better. Comparatively, Marco's been in top equipment his whole career and hasn't managed to match their success. I would argue that Marco has shown flashes of speed or skill only a handful of times in his 14 years. This is a driver who has had more time and opportunity than most ever do to learn and grow in the sport with one of the best teams around him the entire time. The end result? A decade long dry spell.

It seems like so many drivers in Indycar (or other top level series for that matter) only get a year or two to prove themselves, and if they don't pull off something great in that time, they get kicked to the curb before they really even have the chance to learn. Young drivers trying to make a name for themselves in a bad car are screwed from the start, and even veterans who are still capable of championship contention and race wins get led off behind the shed to IMSA or whatever at a certain point. Marco sucks because he has had everything in the world going for him and he never got good. It's a horrible waste of that seat.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Spectators allowed at the Harvest GP, limited to 10k per day. I'm actually surprised they're allowing that.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

drat, I hope he's alright. Askew hasn't done nearly as well as O'Ward this year, and this seems suspicious what with the Veach announcement and all.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Dudley posted:

Given Veach seems to have been prised away from his sponsor, I can't see Team "Totally McLaren you guys" Schmidt being interested.

I was thinking more along the lines of Helio auditioning for Askew's seat next weekend, given Askew's performances and place in the standings. It's not quite the same as Veach getting the boot, though he and Askew aren't that far apart in the points. I'd just hate to see Askew get cut like that.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

He's 18th in the standings, only ahead of part timers and pay drivers.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

With a schedule like this, I might try to attend rounds 6-15 next year. Depends on COVID and the Canadian border being open. Sucks that we lost Richmond without even getting to race there, and Iowa was usually good too. Still, with how uncertain things are right now, I didn't expect any more than what we got. Let's see if America survives the winter.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

IMS had big zip ties with DO NOT USE signs on all the unsold stadium seats in the penthouse sections, so that there wouldn't be anyone in a seat next to your group. When we got there earlier, there were two people sitting directly behind our seats, who told us that they were instructed to "sit wherever" and that the zip ties can be easily torn off, as they had done in order to sit there. They suggested we go sit elsewhere, so as to maintain distancing. I told them to gently caress off, and after same grumbling, they did. I don't know what it is about IMS road course races, but it seems like every other time I attend one, some jackasses try to tell me they've claimed my seat and to go somewhere else.

Otherwise, the race was alright. Good to see Herta and Veekay up front, and we nearly had a couple yellows from Ferrucci pulling his signature move and then Power slapping his rear left against the wall, but nothing crazy. B penthouse is decent seats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Yeah Marco had a fire of some sort. It was real cool.