Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Herta’s car trailer caught fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
St.Pete mayor wants the race to go ahead without fans.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Annnd they cancelled general attendance. The race itself is still up in the air.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
This is probably the most ideal outcome.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
https://racer.com/2020/04/07/the-racer-com-guest-mailbag-with-mario-andretti-presented-by-hpd/

Mailbag with Mario.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
What was the deal with the Toyota oval CART engine again? Like one side of the engine (right side bank? I’m probably wrong) fed the Turbo right? So the exhaust from both cylinder banks was routed to one side?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Cygni posted:

im pretty sure thats what 31 cars at michigan was, but they binned half the cars on the first lap

Michigan could easily run that many cars. In 1994 at CART's zenith there were sometimes up to 32 car fields, bizarrely though only on street circuits or road courses (31 at Toronto, 32 at Portland). They actually had to send Franck Freon home at Road America that year although he eventually started anyway because Ross Bentley withdrew prior to the start due to to a cracked Bellhousing (WTF?!?).

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Cygni posted:

im pretty sure thats what 31 cars at michigan was, but they binned half the cars on the first lap

That happened in reality too.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Dudley posted:

We've all had nights like that.

I just find it odd Coyne didn't have another transmission available.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Then again, while CART era Coyne sometimes ran up to 3 cars only the "lead" car would have spares or new parts. '97 was a good example. Jourdain's car got all the upgraded parts while Vitolo was using the initial Lola spec, which was borderline undriveable.

As an aside, most think Hiro was the worst of the later CART era - but on road courses at least Vitolo had nothing on him. He was shockingly slow (he was parked in Toronto 1997 for "handling").

Coyne also employed this guy (Nearburg) for 3 races. I think one of the conditions of hiring him was that he paid for a Reynard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qP8qfSZAmw

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
In retrospect the sponsorship might have been a result of Dale himself. Both Gualter Salles and Takuya Kurosawa had VIA sponsorship: one of our (Canada’s) state owned rail corporations.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Vitolo also must have known somebody because he inexplicably kept getting rides.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

I am a gamer.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Cygni posted:

that guys account went from cool links to old pictures once a day, to like 50 daily posts breathlessly tweeting at Danny Sullivan in 1 month flat

He still posts some cool stuff but it’s getting silly.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Cygni posted:

and the 30+ drivers that broke their backs because the IRL refused to admit that their longitudinal gearbox design was a loving joke from the moment they announced it

I was rewatching the Fontana ‘97 Broadcast and that statistic floored me. Although weren’t some of the injuries during 1996 due to the teams using worn out poorly maintained ex-CART chassis?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I watched the ‘96 IRL “season”...I had low expectations but Christ it was even worse than I imagined.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
https://racer.com/2020/04/30/what-happened-to-brights-della-penna-reynard/

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Cygni posted:

yall have way way more faith in the american government and people than i do. they are absolutely gonna reopen and let lots of extra people die, and nobody will really care.

timely, Marshall reporting that all the Indiana based teams are back to work as of Monday

https://racer.com/2020/05/06/indycar-teams-return-to-work/

I mean, I guess it’s making the best of a bad situation. Will Texas have spectators?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I hope it’s a closed event. 3 of my family members came down with it.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Whew.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Long Beach 1998 is one of the greatest CART races of all time.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Ribiero actually DNQ’d at Nazareth at I think. From what I understand he was badly affected by the switch to Goodyear tires more than anything else (he spent his entire prior career on Firestones) and was used to driveability of the Honda vs. the Ilmor.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

dsriggs posted:

Jimmy Vasser did the same thing though. Mediocre his first 4 seasons, permanent front runner from 1996-98, then only scored a couple more wins & a few podiums in his last 8 seasons. That late 90's Ganassi team was just on a roll.

Vasser was pretty good IMO. And one of the genuinely good Americans in a period when there were very few.

Late 90s CART did expose the flaw of the US ladder system in developing American open wheel drivers. This has since been rectified.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
To be fair, both Pacwest and Blundell were stuck with the Mercedes engine, which got progressively worse after 1994 - there was a dead cat bounce in 1997.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I like the mutant 1999 Patrick Racing car that was a Reynard 97i with a mix of 98i and 99i parts.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Pacwest ran Reynards with Lola wings at Long Beach in either 1994 or 1995.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I welcome them.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Toyota is pretty incredible because they blew a LeMans win on like 5 separate occasions.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I've been to the Toronto Molson/Honda Indy weekend since 1992 more or less. Bummer it's been cancelled.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I found out in like 2016 that there was an Arie Jr. Also AJ Foyt IV.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I don't actually care about Marco Andretti. He's fine I guess. Certainly the Andrettis (and the Rahals I guess) have produced better results than the Unsers and Foyts.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
A cool thing is backmarkers producing more backmarkers, like the Binders.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Vasukhani posted:

why would people be mad at sato? dude drives fearlessly and it did a lot of good for indy in japan

Crashes. That’s it.

Andrea De Cesaris derangement syndrome.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Also he has the stigma of being a Japanese “pay driver” (which isn’t accurate at all but hey.)

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Vasukhani posted:

that race sucked

It’s true.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Carpenter didn’t sound like he was particularly thrilled with Veekay.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Vasukhani posted:

https://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/...impression=true

STAMFORD, Conn. – June 7, 2020 – NBC Sports’ presentation of the NTT INDYCAR Series Genesys 300 on NBC in primetime on Saturday night is NBC Sports’ most-watched INDYCAR race on record and the series’ most-watched race since 2016, excluding Indy 500s, according to Fast National data provided by The Nielsen Company and digital data from Adobe Analytics.

The season-opening race of the 2020 season from Texas Motor Speedway on NBC (8-10 p.m. ET) averaged a Total Audience Delivery of 1.285 million viewers to rank as the most-watched non-Indy 500 INDYCAR race since the 2016 Dual at Detroit Race 2 on ABC (1.397 million viewers).

I mean this is good news, but the actual race itself was...lacking.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
96i correct?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
An Interesting thing that I heard was that the Lola T96/00 was actually the better chassis - however the only team running the superior Honda/Firestone combo with the Lola was Tasman who were a relatively small operation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Fuji would be a great circuit if it wasn’t for that lovely final section.