Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I suspect at least a little of that is Ed not worrying too much about what Conor can do in a Carlin car in the ovals after Indy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Just ask Sam Hornish's dad!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ugh. I'm going to laugh / cry if the first time my annual trip to Indy gets hosed is because of this.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

harperdc posted:

Miller has a new column up

Never a bad time to get more Uncle Bobby stories.

In case anyone here hasn't listened to it yet, Marshall Pruett's podcast with Uncle Bobby is a must-listen.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Is it Maugust yet?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

devmd01 posted:

Lol @ hinch’s hat

It's the helmet Indycar isn't brave enough to let him wear.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hell yes, I think I'm going to like this series.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The spiciest of lovely takes. gently caress the deltawing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Aren't the pit boxes for Indycars considerably longer than NASCAR's?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

WindyMan posted:

Every car needs a riding mechanic with their own simrig and copy of My Summer Car

Perkele.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dudley posted:

I'll level with you, I've no idea what a bellhousing is, it just sounded funny.

"Yeah boss, I can't come in today, I've cracked my bellhousing".

:eng101: It's the part that actually bolts the engine and transmission cases together. Cracking one would be a bad day in a regular car but you could probably still drive carefully. In any modern open wheeler, the rear suspension is bolted to the transmission, so trying to race on a cracked bellhousing would probably result in the car suddenly and violently splitting in two.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hopefully tonight nobody does a racism.

I'm all for wankers, though. Willy P and TK have both proven that one is network friendly.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dudley posted:

I literally don't know of a sim where you can't race from behind. I'm 99% certain even iRacing added it as an option.

iRacing definitely does not offer it, but it's probably the only one. They also have an AI spotter and I don't know of any other sim that has that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm wondering if someone managed to kind of hack at it by either loving around with config files for camera positions, or if they literally joined the session with two accounts and used the replay cameras on one to act as the chase view for the other.

I caught part of the Indycar Motegi race on Saturday, it was worth a short watch - and a laugh when a lapper took out Power and SVG.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I think if you asked him "do you want to sit through Driven again, or do you want to repeat the last year of sitting in hospitals", he'd have to sit and think about that for a bit.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hey it's May now, right?

Right?

:smith:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

bennyfactor posted:

If any of you bought bronze badges/tickets for the 500, have you received them already? I haven't, and while I realize it's not super critical right now given ... everything, I was wondering when they usually arrive and if I should be concerned.

I got my tickets for race day and carb day (which is all I bought). And yeah they showed up right before they announced the date change.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Will is all of us.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Reynold posted:

Does anyone think we're still gonna be racing in Texas a month from now? I can't see it happening.

I still haven't rebooked anything around Indy because I'm not so sure about August, even.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Synthetic Hermit posted:

Indiana's current reopening timeline (subject to change) should allow some fans into IMS starting July 4th:

I don't think the virus gives a gently caress what timelines we have planned.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

Fair, but business owners also dont give a gently caress if people die.

Also true.

hunnert car pileup posted:

being a fan of AOWR throughout the aughts was a great primer for races w/no fans tbh

Even just in the DW12 era, I can think of at least the three Phoenix races and NOLA...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Indy 500 doubleheader next May

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I suppose the biggest difference would be a better, non-fractured fanbase, especially through the mid/late aughts.

I think you're fundamentally right here. The Split simply accelerated the loss of money, but it was going away one way or the other. Maybe we'd only be on the first spec car by now instead of eight years into the second spec car.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Aw yiss, https://racer.com/2020/05/13/retro-the-story-of-king-hiro/

Also, St. Pete back on in October for the finale, apparently.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

gret posted:

No Courtney Force???

She doesn't consider it a racecar unless there's a comma in the horsepower.

Also, given the condition of the bottle, that is clearly an early race drawing of Liz Power.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Worst carb day ever :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Frond posted:

I found out in like 2016 that there was an Arie Jr. Also AJ Foyt IV.

AJ IV did the smart thing and married into money. Arie Jr is far more famous for being a Scottsdale douchebag on The Bachelor than anything he's done behind the wheel. Just Al, well, imagine that kid's home life and I'm not surprised.

Marco pretty much got ruined by jumping to Indycar too soon, though I don't envy having to live up to that kind of legacy. The dude has clearly got some major car control skills, look at that drive on slicks in the rain last year. If I had to guess, he's not any good at helping set up his own car. He doesn't benefit at all from the setups his teammates have. Certainly can't qualify either.

I'm interested to see how Colton Herta does long term.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Considering his lineage, I wish Matty Brabham had gotten a decent shot. I'd still rate Geoff as probably the best Indycar driver to not win a race.

I mean, he had a solid Lights car at AA and in his full season there he came in fourth behind Gabby Chaves, Jack Harvey, and Zach Veach. Money dried up fast in 2015 and that was that.

I knew he was doing SST but I didn't realize he was the twice-defending champion there, so he's got that going for him.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Holy. gently caress. :bisonyes:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The confusion in the stands in 2011 was amazing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Proud Christian Mom posted:

i still lol because people got angry that Sato won

Sato's crossing-the-line radio is the second best radio call ever, and yes that's above King Hiro. Anyone mad about Sato winning doesn't know what Indy means.

Lights being cancelled sucks, but is unsurprising and makes sense. Also makes me rethink whether or not to do Carb Day, and that's dependent on whether or not I end up doing the race at all.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

FartingBedpost posted:

Veekay was the guy I thought looked the dumbest in the virtual races so I guess I’m not surprised. Sucks for Palou tho.

Yeah, though watching it again it seems like Palou could have avoided it if he was either more confident in what the car can do in a situation like that, or more familiar with how oval wrecks go.

He has neither of those skills yet, so he got wrecked.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Double posting because they buried the lede a bit on this article: https://racer.com/2020/06/07/penske-on-indy-500-we-will-run-it-only-with-fans/

October is on the table if things aren't looking right for August. Given when they made the decision to pull fans from the July weekend, I don't think we're far off of that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'd be cool w/the 500 being the finale this year

Same. I'd be much happier with an October race in nearly every possible way except maybe the weather. Wouldn't it be at risk of cold along the lines of 1992? I know I've seen modern statements that Firestone wouldn't let them green flag a race that cold now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Frond posted:

Carpenter didn’t sound like he was particularly thrilled with Veekay.

Dude wrecked twice in one day. I wonder when the last time that happened was.

I'm sure the money he brings helps but I guarantee you he looked at that result and then he looked at the guy in his mirrors that he already has signed for part of a season.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

harperdc posted:

I’m about 3/4 of the way through watching the race and Daly needs a full-time ride like right now.

He technically does, just with multiple teams. But he (and Carlin) should be very happy about that race.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The three cars that ate penalties before the race weren't making adjustments to the setup, they were fixing electrical issues that apparently only cropped up when they went to fire the cars back up for the race.

I think part of what made this race a bit processional was the tire situation. At 35 laps a stint max and no major falloff from beginning to end (Josef excluded) there isn't any room for pit strategy.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

harperdc posted:

Yeah, and the tire situation was due to a change in the track and Firestone (understandably in this case) not having testing time and trying to play it safe.

Sato most likely crashed because his usual high line is now slippery thanks to that update.

A stance I’ve really come around on is that teams (in all series, including IndyCar but also F1) should have far less data available and chances to crunch the data during a weekend. Because they have so many resources (people/computing power/models/simulations) the biggest teams can put the numbers they’re seeing in and get a setup out. NASCAR having races where they come off the truck and run has proven to be more interesting. It’s the reason why mixed conditions races - wet to dry, dry to wet and back, etc - seem to be so interesting.

No test time plus no supply of the typical Texas tires due to manufacturing shutdowns.

I agree with you, outside of the 500 it should be more "do you have it or do you not". Even with a month's worth of data the 500 never quite plays out the way the crew chiefs want it to.

I'm not upset at how the race came out. They've never had to do anything like this before and while Dixon's god-skills made his win pretty much guaranteed past lap 100 or so, it was still fun to watch. Reading the RACER article on it, it seems like the TV crew was significantly hampered on how much data they're getting from the teams because fuel was never even mentioned as a possible issue.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Such a good looking car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

harperdc posted:

Yep. At Honda’s museum at Twin Ring.

[edit] vvvvvv no on-board starter :v:

But if it's in Honda's collection, they keep everything needed to run the car. So somewhere in that museum is the starter, along with some vintage laptops.