Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
If you post a spoiler early Kenton will know :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Field Mousepad posted:

Ahh yeah, I hope it isn't something lame like a car accident or some poo poo like that.

:discourse:

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Goddamnit :smith:

Still a great episode though

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Deterministic distracted driving

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
I like how Katie was seeing multiple outcomes superimposed because she is running the many-worlds version of the algorithm.
This also means that we can't really be sure whether any of the stuff she saw is what actually happened.

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
Can someone explain to me the beginning of the second to last episode, where we see 2 people go into DEVS and the programmers assume it's an earthquake tremor?

Have we seen those people before? and if not, are we to assume Katie knew it wasn't a tremor? Did i miss this explanation?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

stoops posted:

Can someone explain to me the beginning of the second to last episode, where we see 2 people go into DEVS and the programmers assume it's an earthquake tremor?

Have we seen those people before? and if not, are we to assume Katie knew it wasn't a tremor? Did i miss this explanation?

I thought it was an actual tremor and it wobbled the airlock thingie a bit, and Forest was at the Devs entrance with his hands on the ground feeling it. It was just a couple rando devs programmers in the airlock, we’ve seen a lot of unnamed coders in there apart from Stewart and Lyndon.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This show's score is just loving incredible. It gives me chills the same way Hannibal score did.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

so the Everett model is the multiverse model or it's deterministic? It was kind of described as being both

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

so the Everett model is the multiverse model or it's deterministic? It was kind of described as being both

Yes.

The Everett model is deterministic in the sense that ALL futures are determined to happen, just in different worlds. We can calculate exactly what will happen in the future because it is every option at the same time.

This still doesn't allow us to predict a specific future, of course, which is why Forest finds it unsatisfying.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

it also doesn't absolve him of his sin, which gives his monologue in episode 1 another dimension

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Man, this is getting wild.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Man, this is getting wild.

Yeah I was glued to the screen :stare: This one was a lot of talking but I was totally captivated.

This show is a great advertisement for OLED screens as so many scenes have real serious contrasts. The night shots flying over San Fran especially.

I cannot wait for next week’s episode already.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

priznat posted:

Yeah I was glued to the screen :stare: This one was a lot of talking but I was totally captivated.

This show is a great advertisement for OLED screens as so many scenes have real serious contrasts. The night shots flying over San Fran especially.

I cannot wait for next week’s episode already.

this show is absolutely loving gorgeous on my lg oled. i want the scenic shots in 4k hdr on a rotating spool with the soundtrack behind it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Ammanas posted:

this show is absolutely loving gorgeous on my lg oled. i want the scenic shots in 4k hdr on a rotating spool with the soundtrack behind it.

Yeah I don’t know if it intentional but it reminds me a lot of the fantastic appletv screensavers. Lots of SF ones there too.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Alison Pill is absolutely killing it in this role

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Mover posted:

Alison Pill is absolutely killing it in this role

I didn't even recognize her for the first couple of times she was onscreen, I know her best from Scott Pilgrim. Her stare is gd unsettling at times.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

priznat posted:

I didn't even recognize her for the first couple of times she was onscreen, I know her best from Scott Pilgrim. Her stare is gd unsettling at times.

She has to be at least partially inspired by Elizabeth Holmes. Those dead eyes...

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

priznat posted:

She's a killer actress on a ton of things. She actually managed to go to toe with Ian McFucking Shane.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Only realized today that the name is basically DEUS with a roman U.

The way Forest and Katie were discussing Lily and Jaime's personalities at the end of the episode felt like the way people discuss fiction. On the one hand that's consistent with tech bros not really viewing humanity as real people and instead just tools, but also I was starting to wonder if there's an element of Forest being a stand-in for an artistic creator. Lily's seemingly being turned into a martyr to help Forest process his trauma, but I feel like there's a kind of meta element of examining why we demand characters like her die for our benefit in art in general.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I think I figured out the twist of Devs. Its not a coincidence that the show has the crucification of Christ in it. the show is going to end up revealing that Lily is the second coming of Christ, and that is what breaks causality. Once its revealed, this becomes a christian show, and she will absolve the Devs of their sins. It will be revealed that Katie was just searching for faith in something, and she chose the wrong path of science instead of Christianity.

Gary the Llama
Mar 16, 2007
SHIGERU MIYAMOTO IS MY ILLEGITIMATE FATHER!!!
Lily isn’t the second coming of Christ the computer is.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I've just caught up after watching all the episodes over the past couple of days.
I love the premise and the style, but hate the dialog. The cast is okay but the exposition scenes make me cringe. This seems to be a symptom of all TV series these days.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Personally I think the deadpan dialog works extremely well but ymmv.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
this show is so beautiful

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Laserface posted:

The impression I was getting is that they are using AI to predict the state of every atom in the known universe at any point in time so as to view what happened and when.

so a photo a zombie unicorn loving your grandmother could theoretically be generated by their computer, and every variation of that scene from every possible angle with every variable possible.

the implications of a computer that could apply such a theory to history and view basically the state of every atom in the known universe at some point in time is pretty scary - on one hand it would mean you could solve literally any crime ever, but it would also mean the end of privacy.

it seems they are then extrapolating that out to attempting to predict the future?

I was initially feeling like the scene in the security office was really poorly acted until i realised she was actually acting that she was acting. then it made sense.

shows good.

I'm really getting into this. It's loving great.

They sure say "Yes." quite a lot.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Wow :stare:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Can I just say, spoiler free, that drat I wish there were way more episodes left than just the one next week. But really if it was open ended it wouldn’t be as good. It’s basically a 16 hour movie!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have no idea how this is going to end but the christ imagery is feeling super deliberate at this point. i think some of the wilder theories itt might not be that far off even if it's all just symbolic in some way.

Also, everyone should watch this ep with a decent pair of headphones or surround sound if they can. It's already the most visually stunning episode but some of the audio fuckery really takes it to the next level, so at the very least don't just watch it with TV speakers.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Agreed, the Stewart quote soliloquy was especially great, sound wise.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Indeed. Also the entire opening sequence and end credits.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This was a great episode, but I didn't like the sudden credits right when it felt like the episode was reaching a climax. I have a feeling that Lily will walk into the viewing room, and Forest will be in there watching the future or whatever. Then the Lily on screen shoots forest as revenge for Kenton killing both of her boyfriends. Real Lily sees it, freaks out and decides not to shoot Forest. That's what breaks the deterministicness of the universe or whatever. She introduces something that was truly random and that breaks the machine.

OTC
Oct 20, 2012
drat this is incredible stuff. What's the ETA for the upcoming Alex Garland + Denis Villeneuve joint project? Please??

Based on the multiverse-theory visual depictions we've seen already, would I be correct in interpreting that Lyndon falls in all possible universes? That's brutal, considering the preceeding conversation.

Also (previous episode) shoutout to homeless guy outside Stewart's trailer, who is previewed in shot 4 of episode 1, which I caught on a re-watch.

OTC fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Apr 9, 2020

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

OTC posted:

Based on the multiverse-theory visual depictions we've seen already, would I be correct in interpreting that Lyndon falls in all possible universes? That's brutal, considering the preceeding conversation.

That is the impression I got, yes. I think the scene was ultimately less about Lyndon and more about Katie's descent into to total nihilism. since in the end Lyndon always falls and her reaction slowly goes from shock to not giving a flying gently caress

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
So that's why Forest and Katie were so nice to Jamie and Lily the night before.

Cojawfee posted:

This was a great episode, but I didn't like the sudden credits right when it felt like the episode was reaching a climax. I have a feeling that Lily will walk into the viewing room, and Forest will be in there watching the future or whatever. Then the Lily on screen shoots forest as revenge for Kenton killing both of her boyfriends. Real Lily sees it, freaks out and decides not to shoot Forest. That's what breaks the deterministicness of the universe or whatever. She introduces something that was truly random and that breaks the machine.

I sure hope the show doesn't end in this unspeakably lame way. Anyways, Garland generally doesn't go for the predictable ending.

Martman posted:

Only realized today that the name is basically DEUS with a roman U.

...drat, can't believe I didn't notice that.

OTC
Oct 20, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

I think the scene was ultimately less about Lyndon and more about Katie's descent into to total nihilism.
Oh, absolutely; I mean it's brutal conceptually, and there are certainly easier ways to earn 7 episodes worth of thousand-yard stare. I just kept to that scene because I'm not sure many-worlds stictly applies to the entire show (that or my pop-culture knowledge falls way short of understanding what's being presented here). I think it's been used in several excellent scenes and is presented as the basis for how they got the programming to show incredible accuracy, but how does that work in practice? We are not shown the same occurrance twice with any variance at Devs, as far as I can tell Devs still shows a deterministic universe with the new programming. How would Katie see, or be aware of, more than one instance?

Edit: I've watched the scene again and Katie says I've watched you fall many times which can be read several different ways, each more terrifying than the last.

mr. unhsib posted:

I sure hope the show doesn't end in this unspeakably lame way.
My unspeakably lame guess for the final episode, to be made fun of in due course when I am horribly wrong:

Lily shoots the Devs computer and ends existence, hence not being able to view past that point. The universe is simulated by Devs, which is contained within the universe it's simulating. "The box contains everything" i.e. including itself.

OTC fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Apr 9, 2020

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

it is interesting to me that in garland's first novel, the main character discusses many worlds with someone.

we really like to latch onto some bullshit and just bang on about it for the rest of our lives huh...

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cojawfee posted:

The thing that's bothering me is, if it's possible to change the future once you know it then it pretty much has to be unavoidable. There's no way that Katie could have seen her own future and not have that affect her in some way and therefore alter what she does, even if only slightly. If Lily breaks the machine (or universe) by not doing what she was predicted to do then that should already have happened.

If that's what happens then it'll be a real dumb ending.

OTC posted:

Based on the multiverse-theory visual depictions we've seen already, would I be correct in interpreting that Lyndon falls in all possible universes?
Pretty sure that's impossible? If many worlds is true then anything possible will happen in some universe even if it's extremely unlikely. So even if he's far more likely to climb the railing and even if it's far more likely that, having done so, he'll fall to his death, there are still infinite universes in which he either doesn't do it or does it and survives. There are infinite universes in which he climbs over the railing and a sudden gust of wind blows him back to safety. Everything possible happens and then every possibility stemming from each of those outcomes also happens and on to an infinity of infinities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Tiggum posted:

The thing that's bothering me is, if it's possible to change the future once you know it then it pretty much has to be unavoidable. There's no way that Katie could have seen her own future and not have that affect her in some way and therefore alter what she does, even if only slightly. If Lily breaks the machine (or universe) by not doing what she was predicted to do then that should already have happened.

Katie is in some sort of paradox loop. She always knew what her future would be because it was predicted before she lived it, and she resigns herself to that because she never sees herself break out of it, and it never predicts her breaking out because she never tries, etc, etc.

With Lily, I think the universe will break because it's a simulated universe we've been watching. It can't simulate whatever she's about to do, just like they couldn't simulate the organism in episode 1. Stewarts dialogue made me feel pretty confident that's happening.