Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Don't even know what to loving think anymore, going to trivia night and my wife's anti-bernie centrist Dem (who loves AOC but hates Bernie figure that the gently caress out) will be there and I might end up having a stroke if anything political comes up

Love to argue with people who think the worst most terrible thing about guaranteed healthcare is the poor insurance industry and their employees who will think of them??? :qq:

good to know these people think of themselves as a friend but believe my children should have the chance to die from not having guaranteed healthcare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Good soup! posted:

Don't even know what to loving think anymore, going to trivia night and my wife's anti-bernie centrist Dem (who loves AOC but hates Bernie figure that the gently caress out) will be there and I might end up having a stroke if anything political comes up

Love to argue with people who think the worst most terrible thing about guaranteed healthcare is the poor insurance industry and their employees who will think of them??? :qq:

good to know these people think of themselves as a friend but believe my children should have the chance to die from not having guaranteed healthcare

If someone loves AOC but hates Bernie there's a 85% chance Hillary broke them completely and a 10% chance they're just a hardcore identitarian

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Jewel Repetition posted:

If someone loves AOC but hates Bernie there's a 85% chance Hillary broke them completely and a 10% chance they're just a hardcore identitarian

Is "hardcore identitarian" a euphemism for "hates Jews"?

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.

One More Fat Nerd posted:

...I think Mark Ames(??) Wrote an article on "The Spite Based Voter" that goes into this in depth.

I re-read this just before Super Tuesday. It's good to read if your humors are lacking bile.
http://exiledonline.com/we-the-spiteful/

Written in 2011, it seems. I suspect a lot of it mirrors a lot of the feelings in C-SPAM these days.

"It came on suddenly and without warning. gently caress the Democrats. gently caress the liberals. I hope Bush wins. I hope Bush steals another election and urinates into everyone’s wounds…

This interior rant lasted for a good five minutes before I snapped out of it. The realization that some pro-Republican sentiment lurks inside of me was enough to make me want to stick my head in the oven. Or throw myself out the window like the possessed priest at the end of The Exorcist.

What inspired this crazed outburst wasn’t any love for Bush. It was an instinctual reaction to a tonal shift I’ve detected among the American left. They’re losing that brave, cornered, hysterical tone that I’ve identified with, a tone that came from years of increasing marginalization combined with a sense that the whole country had gone completely insane.

For the first time in almost 30 years, the left has a chance to occupy the reality vacuum that opened up after the big barbecue in Fallujah. The left can sense that their time may have finally arrived, and they’re prematurely settling into their new role as saviors of the national soul, with their former hysteria already reverting to a smug, nurturing tone. The once-vicious humor, born of desperation and hatred, is again becoming nauseatingly didactic and responsible. This is a disaster. The left seems to be buying into the high school civics teacher’s idiotic lie that “you can’t just be de-structive, you have to be con-structive as well.”

What’s worse is that the new smug tone is being accompanied by high-profile outbursts of fake rage. Yesterday’s genuine fury has been hijacked and reified by painted-up frauds like Al Gore and Nancy Pelosi, who look about as comfortable feigning rage as Rumsfeld looked when he tried to squirt a few tears before Congress over Abu Ghraib.

Some people say that the Democrats are actually getting bolder and more vicious. I don’t buy it. What Gore and Pelosi and the others on their bandwagon are really trying to do is snuff out the real rage before it spreads and threatens their fake opposition. It’s a classic strategy in big politics: Co-opt the opposition, suck the life out of it and dump its dried-out shell on the side of the freeway, where it can never bother you again."

EDIT: This is the part that talks more about spite-voters specifically though:

"...consider this: The left struggles to understand why so many non-millionaire Americans vote Republican, and yet they rarely ask themselves why so many millionaires, particularly the most beautiful and privileged millionaires in Manhattan and Los Angeles, vote for the Democrats.

I can answer both. Rich, beautiful, coastal types are liberal precisely because their lives are so wonderful. They want to preserve their lives exactly as they are. If I were a rich movie star, I’d vote for peace and poverty relief. War and domestic insurrection are the greatest threats to their already-perfect lives–why mess with it? This rational fear of the peasantry is frequently misinterpreted as rich guilt, but that’s not the case. They just want to pay off all the have-nots to keep them from storming their manors and impaling them on stakes.

Republican elites don’t set off the spite glands in the same way, and it’s not only because of a sinister right-wing propaganda machine. Take a look at a photo of the late billionaire Sam Walton, a dessicated Calvinist in a baseball cap and business suit, and you’ll see why. If Republican billionaires enjoy their wealth, they sure as hell hide it well. As far as one can tell, Republican billionaires genuinely like working 18-hour days in offices, and attending dreary charity dinners. More importantly, it’s hard for us to imagine that these stuffy gray-haired plutocrats have interesting sex lives—nothing inspires murderous envy more than someone else’s great sex life, which is why a celebrity is so much more viscerally hateful than the richest, meanest plutocrat. These right-wing billionaires’ idea of having fun is a day on the golf green (a game as slow and frustrating as a day in the office) or attending conferences with other sleazy, cheerless Calvinist billionaires. If that’s what all their wealth got them, let ’em have it–so says the spite bloc. This explains why the Republican elite–the only true and all-powerful elite in America today–is not considered an “elitist” class in the spleens of the white male have-nots. Elitism as defined today is a synonym for “happy,” not “rich” or “powerful.” Happiness is the scarcest resource of all, not money. And the happy supply has been cornered by the beautiful, famous and wealthy coastal elite, the ones who never age, and who are just so damned concerned for the have-nots’ well-being. In that sense, you can see how the Republicans were able to successfully manipulate the meaning of “elitism” to suit their needs. They weren’t just selling dogshit to the credulous masses; they were selling pancreatic balm to the needy.

At the other end of the economic spectrum, non-millionaires who vote Republican know all-too-well that the country is not theirs. They are mere wage-slave fodder, so their only hope is to vote for someone who makes the very happiest people’s lives a little less happy. If I’m an obese 40-something white male living in Ohio or Nevada, locked into a permanent struggle with foreclosure, child support payments and diabetes, then I’m going to vote for the guy who delivers a big greasy portion of misery to the Sarandon-Robbins dining room table, then brags about it on FoxNews. Even if it means hurting myself in the process."

Ceramic Shot has issued a correction as of 17:03 on Mar 10, 2020

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Is "hardcore identitarian" a euphemism for "hates Jews"?

Well, it can be, but I mean someone who thinks the most important thing is for the president to be the same race/sex/blood type as them

Which is kind of strange after Obama. Do they think having him as president made it so there was significantly less racism toward black people?

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Plans for today:
1. Work for the corrupt, profit driven medical industrial complex.
2. Vote for Bernie to overhaul it.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

Jewel Repetition posted:

Well, it can be, but I mean someone who thinks the most important thing is for the president to be the same race/sex/blood type as them

Which is kind of strange after Obama. Do they think having him as president made it so there was significantly less racism toward black people?

It meant Racism was solved, and it was sexism's turn, and because of Bernie, there is still sexism. Not once, but twice!

Also it's not strange after Obama, it's where "It's HER turn" came from, and now they see themselves as numerically having something less than black people, so it needs to be made up for, ideally by using black people as a footstool.

anyway +2 for Bernie in MO

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Bernie Sanders take my energy

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I believe in Bernie

AquaticIguana
Apr 29, 2009

I dabble in honky sorcery from time to time.
Dad voted for Bernie (WA) because "he's the only one who gives a poo poo about us." Good but admittedly my dad is the outlier cool boomer.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
All hail to president re-elect Donald John Trump

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
can someone page Schnorkles so ican get the polling data thanks

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

eonwe posted:

You don't want the polling data

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
maybe the onslaught of coverage pushing the inevitability of biden will depress low info voter turnout today :sweatdrop:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Basically wants needs to happen is that Bernie dosen't lose badly and the olds need to learn about the social security cuts and the cat food commission.
It's doable, let's get it done.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

eonwe posted:

Dont believe his lies

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lawman 0 posted:

Basically wants needs to happen is that Bernie dosen't lose badly and the olds need to learn about the social security cuts and the cat food commission.

you’re placing faith in olds. never do that.

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

Lawman 0 posted:

coronavirus also needs to suppress old turnout

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

you’re placing faith in olds. never do that.

drat writing off voters.
How bidenish of you.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
back from the future again

it was 730pm, no results yet, sorry

gas is cheap though

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
It'll be kind of funny if they call Michigan the moment polls close

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Good soup! posted:

Bring a stun gun.

This stun gun.

If you know anything about electronicals, I recommend taking it apart and replacing the capacitor on the business end with a bunch of similar ones in parallel for extra current.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Ceramic Shot posted:

At the other end of the economic spectrum, non-millionaires who vote Republican know all-too-well that the country is not theirs. They are mere wage-slave fodder, so their only hope is to vote for someone who makes the very happiest people’s lives a little less happy. If I’m an obese 40-something white male living in Ohio or Nevada, locked into a permanent struggle with foreclosure, child support payments and diabetes, then I’m going to vote for the guy who delivers a big greasy portion of misery to the Sarandon-Robbins dining room table, then brags about it on FoxNews. Even if it means hurting myself in the process."[/b]

I’ve never heard a poor republican voter give this as a reason for voting for the gop. Like ever. Yeah they want to vote to hurt others, this is true, but it’s “foreigners” who “get money” from the government and a bunch of culture war horseshit like getting a paper straw in their drink or literally just seeing a woman in a hijab. If you want to understand why they vote just watch Hannity for 5 minutes, you don’t need a think piece

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
...good news?
https://twitter.com/MairavZ/status/1237417285947539456?s=19

Edit oh it's from five days ago

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

What is the smiling plane from the Borking gang tag a reference to? It’s been bugging me for months.

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward
Also let's be honest, the only endorsement that would still have any kind of significance at this point is Obama, and we all know where this one is going.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I. M. Gei posted:

What is the smiling plane from the Borking gang tag a reference to? It’s been bugging me for months.

I'd have to see it to know

Daikloktos posted:

It'll be kind of funny if they call Michigan the moment polls close

Wondering if I should just close the thread if that happens

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

e wrong thread

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Entenzahn posted:

Also let's be honest, the only endorsement that would still have any kind of significance at this point is Obama, and we all know where this one is going.

That's right.

Jeb!

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hope I can find a second to vote today, gonna be pretty busy all day though

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

I. M. Gei posted:

do you mean the borkings institute? are you asking for us to explain schnorkles?

microaggressions
Aug 30, 2018
Going to vote for Bernie today in ND. I plan to stand outside of the caucus location coughing up as much phlegm as i can.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost

Drunkboxer posted:

I’ve never heard a poor republican voter give this as a reason for voting for the gop. Like ever. Yeah they want to vote to hurt others, this is true, but it’s “foreigners” who “get money” from the government and a bunch of culture war horseshit like getting a paper straw in their drink or literally just seeing a woman in a hijab. If you want to understand why they vote just watch Hannity for 5 minutes, you don’t need a think piece

There's plenty of hate for hollywood liberals out there in R world. It might not be reason 1, but its in the big ball of grievances that causes them to go vote for the biggest middle finger they can find.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Bearjew posted:

do you mean the borkings institute? are you asking for us to explain schnorkles?

The married plane with a handsome boyfriend who abandoned his son and is obsessed with polls?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

Elephanthead posted:

The married plane with a handsome boyfriend who abandoned his son and is obsessed with polls?

that's the one

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

One More Fat Nerd posted:

There's plenty of hate for hollywood liberals out there in R world. It might not be reason 1, but its in the big ball of grievances that causes them to go vote for the biggest middle finger they can find.

Definitely, but they aren’t mad at their wealth is my point.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Go bernie go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

well, I got about 25 votes in for Bernie today, gotta go to my actual paying job soon though, so I'm going to call it a day. handing it off to night crew to finish the job