Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Not to knock on your arguments, but Edward I think this discussion would be better off in the State & Local thread. Getting knee deep in electoral stats here is kind of missing the point of this thread imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Helsing posted:

Talking about variations in support for a candidate based on age, gender, race, income, etc. and what causes those variations is an appropriate part of a discussion about political movement building.

Ok sorry. Go ahead.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

So it seems like the age divide in black voters was apparent in the 2016 Dem primary as well:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna580996

This rules out the idea that older black voters are voting for Biden simply because of his association with Obama. There is a longer term trend of support for more establishment candidates among older black voters (and really in general).

Now, something I want to understand is, are there problems specific to older black voters that need to be addressed, or is this more symptomatic of the overall trend that older Dems vote for the establishment? It's probably a little bit of both but the first part of this discussion is understanding where the problems are before coming to any solutions.

Going off my own anecdotal experience, I would say black people in general are more religious and socially conservative than other groups. NPR even backs me up:

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/15/733081628/barbershop-how-black-votes-frame-the-abortion-issue

quote:

African American adults are more likely than any other racial group to regularly attend religious services. They are also more likely to say religion is very important in their lives. And data from the Public Religion Research Institute finds that just over half of African Americans believe having an abortion is wrong. However, the same data shows 67% of black Americans believe that abortion should still be legal in all or most cases.

Which leads to this broader idea (discussed in the article) that some black voters are conservatives that nonetheless vote D because they believe the Democrats will protect their civil rights while the Republicans will tear them down.

This is the tip of the iceberg, nothing too groundbreaking, I just wanted to restart the discussion since I feel a little guilty.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 11, 2020

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

Another question.

Why do Latino voters sway more towards Bernie when there are similar trends of social conservatism among them? Obviously we can pin much of it on Trump and the Republican's immigration policy, but is that all there is to it? You would think Latinos would be all in for the media narrative that we supposedly need Biden to beat Trump given that.

America Inc. fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Mar 12, 2020

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I think focusing on local politics is the first and right thing to do. Every reasonable solution presented is that we need a build a coalition from the ground up.

Sorry about your uncle. I don't know if it's any consolation but know that we're fighting for people like him, you and me.