Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/ellardent/status/1336829866688344065

Meanwhile, on Star Trek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1336986967758794752?s=20

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1337072197966434307?s=20

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 10, 2020

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
What's up with that Cylon Raider, more like.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Bicyclops posted:

My son has gotten very into watching The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, and so I have been drafted to do my best Sterling Holloway impression when he has conversations with the stuffed version. He is obviously very difficult to imitate and I find, sometimes, that I end up sounding more like Colin Baker.

So now, I would like to see a Winnie the Pooh cartoon with Colin Baker as Pooh, Tom Baker as the narrator, Peter Davison as Rabbit, and Sylvester McCoy as Owl. Matt Smith can give Tigger a try, I guess. Jodie Whitaker can play Kanga, David Tennant as Piglet, Christopher Eccleston as Eeyore, and Paul McGann as Christopher Robin. Peter Capaldi is left out because he has already voice acted for Winnie the Pooh.

Can't hear anyone else but Adric as Piglet

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Payndz posted:

What's up with that Cylon Raider, more like.

Once you notice that the Big Finish covers use an absolute load of stock models and photos its a fun game to find them all.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Just going through Dark Eyes 3, and I'm finding it a bit of a step down from Dark Eyes 1 and 2. I'm not finding The Eminence that interesting as a villain to be honest, and I feel like I'm missing a bit of the context for why the character is meant to be so threatening - lot of telling, not showing.
On the other hand, the Alex McQueen Master has grown on me - so this incarnation is meant to be the first of the new cycle that the Time Lords gave him to prep for the Time War, and he's in-between the Eric Roberts and Derek Jacobi incarnations? The Master's timeline can be a little confusing.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

OldMemes posted:

Just going through Dark Eyes 3, and I'm finding it a bit of a step down from Dark Eyes 1 and 2. I'm not finding The Eminence that interesting as a villain to be honest, and I feel like I'm missing a bit of the context for why the character is meant to be so threatening - lot of telling, not showing.
On the other hand, the Alex McQueen Master has grown on me - so this incarnation is meant to be the first of the new cycle that the Time Lords gave him to prep for the Time War, and he's in-between the Eric Roberts and Derek Jacobi incarnations? The Master's timeline can be a little confusing.

I do believe we're still fairly uncertain about the McQueen master and where he falls, which is IMO their intent since they'd prefer to be able to stay within the established TV mythology. Leaving it uncertain allows them to "fit" wherever it ends up being the most convenient once the BBC decides to regenerate the character again.

Agreed on your points, though I did find the Eminence interesting, the series has a steady decline in quality. However I think Dark Eyes 1 was great enough that even stepping down from that leaves you in the 'good' territory. Something else to note if you hate the Eminence - it (they?)show up in 4th and 6th Doctor ranges as well (though less so the 6th).

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
There's an explanation for the McQueen regeneration at the end of Ravenous, but roughly speaking, he's implied to be the start of a new cycle, yeah.

McGann posted:

Something else to note if you hate the Eminence - it (they?)show up in 4th and 6th Doctor ranges as well (though less so the 6th).

It's one story each, isn't it?

Technically the sixth doctor story is twice as long as the fourth too.

The Eminence has a great vocal presence, I'll say that for it. But it's not really a compelling threat. Still, better than the Ravenous (time lord clowns? Really?)

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Open Source Idiom posted:

There's an explanation for the McQueen regeneration at the end of Ravenous, but roughly speaking, he's implied to be the start of a new cycle, yeah.

If you don't mind, PMing or spoilering what that explanation is? I listened to Ravenous, but between then and now I've had a seizure and a concussion so most of that memory is gone. I do remember that I don't want to re-listen to it, though.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Dark Eyes 1 was fantastic: McGann gets to take the Doctor through a big emotional range (I'd never listened to the Lucie Miller stuff past the first series, but the Doctor in a maniac state determined to see the end of the universe no matter what was a great hook). Ruth Bradley was a great foil as Molly, the atmosphere and sound design was top notch, Toby Jones was a wonderful guest star, and the Daleks were interesting.

So far I don't feel like the Eminence is that interesting a threat: they keep saying what a great threat it is, but it doesn't seem like it? I feel like I'm missing context from the 6th and 4th Doctor stories. It was fine as a background story element in Dark Eyes 2 though. I guess it's a hard concept to pull off in an audio medium - glowing gas zombies - but I'm feeling that the body horror and dread could have been played up more. I've still got two more Dark Eyes 3 episodes to go (and I did enjoy The Reviled, it felt like a nice inversion of The Traitor), and Dark Eyes 4. Maybe it was just the first story only having the Doctor watch what's happening on a screen and tutting at The Master with a random Time Lord that didn't do it for me. I like it when the Eighth Doctor gets right in the middle of things.

Is Ravenous that bad? I was thinking about carrying on with the bundles, if they're the same price, and I really enjoyed that free episode of Doom Coalition, so I was planning on getting that next. Or maybe going through some of the 8/Charley stuff on spotify - I really liked the McGann/Fisher dynamic back in the day, and thought Charley was an excellent companion.

EDIT: On to Dark Eyes 3: Masterplan, and the dialogue between the Doctor and the Master is so sharp when they're debating each other.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 13, 2020

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Ravenous parts 2 and 4 are good. Part 1 is okay, and Part 3 is actively bad. Personally, I was frustrated that it has a bunch of dropped plot threads, and that the lead villains are really crap (to the point that they have to bring the Master in during Part 4 because all the other recurring villains are either super crap or just missing in action). The pacing is also a mess.

You could probably skip the third volume and miss out on basically nothing tbh. Though the River Song episode is good.

Doom Coalition is quite good though, and Stranded has been great so far (and has an excellent gimmick; it's got a cast of about 12 regulars). Time War, I've not heard properly.

McGann posted:

If you don't mind, PMing or spoilering what that explanation is? I listened to Ravenous, but between then and now I've had a seizure and a concussion so most of that memory is gone. I do remember that I don't want to re-listen to it, though.

Holy poo poo I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope you're feeling better.

Don't have PM's, so you'll have to click: the Beevers Master - who's implied in his appearance here to be right at the end of his lifespan - is eaten by the Ravenous at the end of part 2. In an attempt to prevent this from happening, a few of his other incarnations team up in order to save their lives, gaining control of a Timelord McGuffin (an "energy print" created by the Timelord Artron back in the Gallifreyian Dark Times). They succeed, and regenerate the corpse of the Beevers Master, into what's implied to be the McQueen incarnation. It's actually kind of sweet.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

:kingsley: :neckbeard:

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1338519205528932355?s=20

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/BriggsNicholas/status/1338531937019977729?s=20

Ha! BF got scooped by the man himself

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 14, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Fantastic!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

In a few years, he'll be able to play the 12th Doctor on looks alone

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

It's weird seeing Nine with hair

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Vinylshadow posted:

It's weird seeing Nine with hair

https://twitter.com/pipmadeley/status/1337891137529450497?s=20

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Sphere of Freedom is the inverse property of the Cone of Silence.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Fantastic!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I think I may have just gotten my Secret Santa gift, but I'm not sure - it came directly from the company and I have one or two kind friends who may have done something similar. If you're my Santa and it's probable the package was set to arrive around today, please chime in so I can say thanks. :)

e: clarified via The_Doctor. Interesting... Guess I have some hunting to do!

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 15, 2020

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The rest of my Secret Santa stuff came today! :neckbeard:

Thanks, York_M_Chan!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

On to Dark Eyes 4. Liv is a great companion, Nicola Walker gives her just the right amount of dry matter-of-factness, without overplaying the cynicism.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Davros1 posted:

Ha! BF got scooped by the man himself

Always one step ahead!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1338781290070503425?s=20

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love how he can talk so happily and passionately about the role, then the moment it's suggested he might pop back and do the show for the BBC again just goes,"I know what you're getting at... only when hell freezes over! :haw:"

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

The rest of my Secret Santa stuff came today! :neckbeard:

Thanks, York_M_Chan!

Phew! I'm glad it wasn't lost in time and space!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1338862377614389248?s=20

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
My santee should be receiving their gift soon as well, but unfortunately the Amazon gift note didn't allow much room for explanation, so if you receive a gift from me that you're very confused by (or that doesn't seem to work), please let me know in the thread and I'll try to explain myself!

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I love how he can talk so happily and passionately about the role, then the moment it's suggested he might pop back and do the show for the BBC again just goes,"I know what you're getting at... only when hell freezes over! :haw:"

The former Doctors always seem to look back on their time playing the character on TV fondly, and it's nice to see Ecclestone seeming happier to talk about it positively, considering he's been open about his mental health struggles and mixed feelings during filming. It'll be interesting to see if he's co-starring with Billie Piper, or if these stories will slot into the gap between regeneration and Rose, since the 9th Doctor had a fairly short lifespan.

Even Colin Baker seems to enjoy the role now, and the BBC fired him, and had McCoy fall over in a coat and wig to kill him off unceremoniously.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

OldMemes posted:

Even Colin Baker seems to enjoy the role now, and the BBC fired him, and had McCoy fall over in a coat and wig to kill him off unceremoniously.

C.Bakes was always a big Who fan IIRC, and had big plans as to where he wanted to take his Doctor's character before he got hosed over, so he was always going to be a shoo-in. And he does seem to be loving it :unsmith:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I can hear 10's :rolleyes: through the audio when that human says he's the "FOREMOST TEMPORAL SCIENTIST" of the era.

Also hearing 10 with the Mechanoids made me realize if BF ever needs to dangle a carrot in front of Capaldi to sign up, they can give him the one thing he wanted that Moffat never did:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I like that the musical cue for 'why is it always midnight?' was basically the same as the TV Movie's dramatic sting.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Astroman posted:

I can hear 10's :rolleyes: through the audio when that human says he's the "FOREMOST TEMPORAL SCIENTIST" of the era.

That human is Mark Gatiss, so I can't help wonder if he's playing his version of The Master

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Tonight we're watching Logopolis, so if anyone has the Forktoss watcher comic so I can share it with the group chat that would be fabulous

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The collected works of Forktoss need to go into some kind of thread museum for easy access.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

The collected works of Forktoss need to go into some kind of thread museum for easy access.

:hmmyes:

York_M_Chan
Sep 11, 2003

This was good fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2cdMzZc7UI

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Just finished Dark Eyes 4, I really enjoyed the series overall, even if I didn't like the The Eminence that much, and it never hits the heights of the first set again. Nicholas Briggs shouting in the Dalek voice is hilarious.

I've just set up my spotify account, so there's a decent selection of the early stuff on there, or I might get the Doom Coalition bundle. Though I feel in the mood for some Seven/Ace stories first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Tonight we're watching Logopolis, so if anyone has the Forktoss watcher comic so I can share it with the group chat that would be fabulous

Since you asked!