Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Just like they did in the 1980s, the Beeb has apparently stopped giving a poo poo about the show. If they did, they would have fired Moffat when it was clear he was loving up the show's production run. That's what makes me wonder at times if it's still the big money earner for the Beeb everyone says it is (I'm sure they're still making bank on DW licensed merch, though).

Why do people poo poo on Moffat? Aren't all the best Doctor Who seasons under his reign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

There was no season in 2016.

You can't hold 2016 poo poo against people! That was the year everyone on Earth hosed up big time!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'll admit I was sick of Weeping Angels by the end of their first appearance. "Freeze tag" is a really neat idea for a monster but too often it felt like, "get some drat mirrored sunglasses and the problem solves itself the end."

Totally dug the Paternoster gang (had to look it up bc the name didnt ring a bell but reptilian/redditor-thumb/lady were a fun combo)

Clara and Amy were my favourite runs, but I also do get what you mean by 90s romance plots. We are lucky they didn't have Clara and The Doctor get married.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

We were all excited for Moffat's run because he wrote some really good stuff for Eccleston (I am not as enamored of the stuff he wrote for Tennant as others, mainly because I still don't get how "Blink", an episode that barely features the Doctor, was somehow people's go-to episode to introduce new fans to the series). I was only familiar with Moffat through the "Curse of Fatal Death" skit, which I liked well enough, and an episode or two of "Coupling", which I didn't care for because it was just basically "Friends, but British" (and I'd rather be dragged naked through broken glass than watch an episode of "Friends").

Then the adult Amy Pond showed up on the screen and within a few episodes I was completely sick of her. Ditto for Rory (who I otherwise liked as a character) and his constant pining for a rather emotionally manipulative woman who only paid him attention when it looked like he might be losing interest in her. Their relationship was stock Hollywood bullshit "two people who are completely wrong for each other somehow wind up happily together anyways" and the fact that the whole "River Song origins" stuff got tied into them was even stupider.

And don't even get me started on the whole "Clara is the most important girl in the universe" thing.

Clara is very important*, I would eagerly watch a Doctor Who show where every person was played by Jenna Coleman. If I were to ever own a poster of anyone's face, it would be hers. I also just liked her as companion, she seemed to grok the struggles of being The Doctor and her fate as Companion more than the others.

I was almost ready to give up watching once Amy was gone (to be fair I get a little attached to every companion and am always like "come on, bring em back!"), but Clara turned it around for me. I did hate Rory though. Bad enough they're bad for each other, but his whole "standing guard for ages" was a big eyeroll. Get a life, dude, geez.

*Doesn't the time baby thing basically reduce her importance to irrelevance? Now she only ever knew a subset of the doctors afterall.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Where is the easiest place to even watch class Who? I tend to think of it as a more extreme Star Trek TOS, it exists, folks like it, but generally have very little interest in sitting through it. My stepdad liked them when I was a kid and I saw random parts of it but was very confused on the whole concept and usually just fell asleep. I wonder if I'd appreciate them more now. I am skeptical they could be "better" than the stuff I'm familiar with, but it's a pretty fuzzy bar to begin with, "good" and "bad" become deeply flexible when applied to Dr Who.