Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Edward Mass posted:

Under the Lake/Before the Flood wasn't BAD, per se, just unremarkable. I remember the guy from Slipknot did some screams for a monster, and there was an actual deaf woman in the cast, but that's about it.

I remember liking parts of it. Nice feeling of dread & mystery. A bunch of good ideas knitted together a bit dodgy. Ending didn't feel earned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

2house2fly posted:

Oh lord they're going to reveal the exact circumstances that led to the Doctor being mind-wiped and regenerating into the person we think of as "the Doctor" aren't they

Spoilers: it was the [whichever modern societal group Chibnall doesn't like] wearing time lord robes.

Until the BBC accepts the need for a new showrunner and someone is appointed this isn't going to get any better.

Maybe the TV license thing will go away, the BBC will get desperate and sell it off allowing some creative auteur like say Uwe Boll to pick it up and save it.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Mar 11, 2020

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Chibnall's the type of writer that would pitch a MCU move like, "Imagine it! Spider-Man... but without the Spider!"

He's Spider Man but he never uses any web or climbing powers because in my version he's afraid of heights. Also no silly spider costume, he goes around in levi jeans and a casual shirt.

This will save on VFX and we can spend the difference on a Bollywood song and dance routine about two young people from adjacent villages getting married halfway through the movie that will lead into the fourth act.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Yannick_B posted:

Andrew Ellard, a working script-editor usually does pretty good "tweet-notes" where he tackles scripts (from Who and other nerd stuff) from his professional pov "rewrites"
Bad Wolf/Parting Of The Ways in the Chris Chibnall style. It's...harsh

https://twitter.com/ellardent/status/1238488092199264256

This is a really good read. Thanks for linking it.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Get Matt Smith back for one episode so he can wake up from the Dream Lord again (Amy & Rory having frozen to death) and thus instantly wash away all the garbage since.

Jodie_doctor ends by hearing birds chirping "tweet tweet, time to sleep".

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Mar 14, 2020

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
As much as I really enjoy the cartmel masterplan - and as a faction paradox fan I really like that sort of mystery a lot - such a narrative works best by hinting and not defining. Let the audience imagination run rampant and they'll conjure up a thousand stories by themselves. Tell or clearly define a mystery and frankly you "done hosed up".

Defining (badly, or perhaps "shittily") some official fanwank "I got hired by the BBC!" fanfiction.net trash as official backstory is inherantly the TV equivalent of jerking off on livestream by accident because you left the camera rolling. Whoopsie.

It's okay though. Whoever gets the license in the far future once the BBC sells it off once the antenna license goes away (that's going to be a glorious meltdown unrelated to DW once it kicks off) will do what they want anyway. If Mickey Mouse can eject all the Star Wars EU bullshit on a cocaine fulled whim then whoever gets the rights to the blue police box can do what they like to fix it up too.

Don't expect anything on "TV" (lol its all on a streaming service now, lets be honest) to matter in a few years time anyway. In the meantime we have whatever classics we like to enjoy. Plus some very good Big Finish productions.

Incidentally I highly recommend the War Doctor series "Only The Monstrous". Great plot and incredible voice work by the actors including the late John Hurt and Jacqui Pearce.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Mar 14, 2020

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Here is another example of fantastic writing & voice acting. It's from the unbound "what if" line of Big Finish Doctor Who stories. Can't endorse this one enough but saying why would potentially spoil it. It's cheap as a coffee, go in blind.

https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-unbound-sympathy-for-the-devil-363

Starring the late Nicholas Courtney too.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You don't want a new showrunner picked until the BBC loses the TV license revenue stream. Otherwise there won't be motivation to get someone actually competent.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Can we not, with this? This will go nowhere good.

Well this is a discussion thread to discuss things. You're welcome to ignore me as someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. Certainly I don't have a production background.

If anything I'm disappointed because I was excited for both Jodie and Chibnall. It all looked fantastic and exciting. Then the series aired and *sounds of balloon deflating*

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Barry the Sprout posted:

Err, in meaningless continuity wank, I've just realised this means that the Valeyard would lie somewhere in the Doctor's past.

The universe edited out the Valeyard. As a byproduct poor Melanie had a very bad end.
https://www.bigfinish.com/releases/v/doctor-who-unbound-he-jests-at-scars-365

For a very long time, possibly forever.

Sorry hosed up the quote. When will it end? Millions of centuries, possibly never.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Mar 15, 2020

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
At this point the Master is over-used and the Rani is extremely under-used.

Hell the Meddling Monk is super ultra extremely under used. Or for a more benign time lord rogue character how about Drax?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Put the Master and the Rani in the same TARDIS and the bickering is simply wonderful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4GVCiNTFDc

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Astroman posted:

Best time rotor EVER

Agreed. In one of the 8th doctor novels (Gallifrey Chronicles I think?) it was mentioned President Romana's TARDIS exterior looked like a solid block of carved ice. Never described the rotor but the imagination tends to wander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

David Collings (Sapphire & Steel, The Robots of Death, The Doctor in Doctor Who Unbound: Full Fathom Five, the upcoming The Robots Vol 2) passed away

https://twitter.com/Daisygraceful/status/1242113144354484230?s=20

Sad to see such a talented person pass on. Hopefully his loved ones can carry on okay.