Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

elf help book posted:

This is why i dread "secret police" type stuff or whatever that's building to.

It’s building to “the Time Lords had a secret police force roaming Time and the Doctor was part of it but turned against the corrupt system to bring it down” thing. We’ve seen the series do it before but I’m not going to complain if Chris “the bad guy always gets away” Chibnall decides to do it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Still laugh every so often when I think about how the 6th Doctor tried to get out of being put on trial.

Six: I'm the President so I declare you can't put me on trial.
Councillor: You literally ran away 2 seconds after getting made President so we stripped you of the title and got a new President.
Six: ....well you got me there.

Well, the last time around (technically two trials ago) the Doctor invoked Article 17 to avoid execution and apparently became President by default after Goth “died heroically” and was still President when he came back again with an alien invasion fleet.

Which also makes me think that we missed a chance with a post-Missy Master who shows up with alien invaders for the Doctor to defeat because she’s trying to help. Kind of like the Delgado Master, but intentionally.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Doctor WHO

Oh, The Timeless Child... Well, I guess that answers that.

Yes, instead of being a mysterious time-traveller who can regenerate 12 times, and then a mysterious time-traveller who can regenerate more than 12 times, she's now a mysterious time-traveller who has already regenerated a lot more than 12 times.

I always wondered what it would have been like to be a Doctor Who fan when The Deadly Assassin first aired (and came in last in the season poll of the DWAS). Now I know.

I do think The Deadly Assassin is better written than The Timeless Children, but it's hard to appreciate all of the risks that the former was taking because they've been canon for so long now. In the immediate context of the Four/Sarah seasons preceding it, it's completely mad.

The Ellard thread is amusing but he's both being unfair to Chibnall and ignoring Chibnall's greatest weaknesses, which aren't about the main characters but all the side characters. For reasons that continue to baffle me, he is terrible at establishing characters and characterization quickly. Compare the shaping of the characters in Praxeus, where we get a strong sense of who most of these characters are in mere minutes, to Chibnall's inability to give shape to his side characters even across multiple episodes. He does OK with already established characters but you can point to maybe a single scene, sometimes a single moment in a single scene, that characterizes most of his other side characters. When you're starting to long for the characterization of Pip and Jane Baker, you know things are pretty bad.

And I'm not sure that Deus ex Davies is the best go-to guy to provide alternatives to Chibnall's wet-fart episode endings. I'm not complaining too much about Timeless Children's ending (which makes a point and immediately renders it moot) given that at least there's some supposition that the villains of the piece are supposed to be defeated instead of being allowed to walk away without comment.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

The thing is, even if he fixes it, since everybody loving hates it, everybody's going to think he's back-pedaling because of the fan reaction whether or not that's what he's actually doing.

So no matter what, this makes him look like a loving idiot.

They don't. You do; this thread does; that satisfies what you want and you look no further.

Verity is my favorite Doctor Who podcast but they're not the only ones delighted by this change to the canon and completely unconcerned about the Doctor supposedly now being some sort of unique chosen one. Especially since that is neither what the show presented to us, nor is it clear who the Doctor is. We've moved from the very early series, where the Doctor's past was mysterious, through the Time Lord era where the show defined where the Doctor came from and gave us more than many fans at the time wanted about Gallifrey's culture, through the Cartmel "more than just a Time Lord" attempt to remystify the Doctor, to the TV Movie's "half-human" and that being somehow critically connected to the Eye of Harmony and the Doctor's eyes, to the new series, which has been frankly inconsistent on whether the Doctor's just a Time Lord or special for being the last Time Lord or special by reputation or by behavior, to Moffat's "orphan raised in a barn in the rural outskirts of the Citadel", to our latest development, which is that we have no idea of the Doctor's origin again but she's not a Time Lord, or rather, the Time Lords are what they are because of something they took from her.

Worst-case, we're right back at "half-human" again, and the next series is going to attempt to use this retcon to explain that as well. Even if that happens, we're still better off than the "Time Lords were just humans all along" story some people were anticipating. Though i suppose we could still get that at any time in the future.

The "divine right of birth" thing is just fantastically odd. The Doctor--our Doctor, the one in the entire series with the probable exception of Doctor Ruth but including the Valeyard I guess--didn't remember any of these details about her past, and behaved as if she were a Time Lord by birth. At best, how she was treated by the other Time Lords and the breadth of her knowledge might be explained by this retcon, but nothing about her behavior or the fact that she is the Doctor because she chose to be has been changed. The Doctor just doubled-down on that in the last episode by rejecting the idea that this changes who she is! Adding a period where the pre-Doctor Doctor may have been a CIA agent doing bad stuff just makes the Doctor's choice to become the Doctor all the more important. Whatever damage has been done to the Doctor as a character pales in comparison to the damage done by having Nine haunted by the decision to genocide both Daleks and Time Lords, and the series got through that OK.

There's so many flaws in how Chibnall assembles plots and handles characterization that I really don't understand why this is the sticking point for so many people. Chibnall can't "ruin my childhood," and my main complaint about The Timeless Children is that he has yet to figure out how to write a genuinely satisfying ending. (Well, that and he didn't seem to get the point of Day of the Doctor at all.)

Rochallor posted:

Also, let's talk about The Deadly Assassin. What does it have in common with whatever this recent episode was called? It takes place on Gallifrey and there's a retcon (though I'd argue that since Assassin doesn't really change anything it's just... continuity.)

How does The Deadly Assassin differ? It's a good use of your time. It's well-written. It's funny. It's a timely riff on 70s conspiracy fiction. It has a chalk outline of a Time Lord with his big silly hat. It understands that the Time Lords having an organization called the CIA is a joke, and not something that should be taken seriously and brought back for future stories.

Inventing objections to Deadly Assassin now doesn't really address my point that at the time it aired, diehard fans were up in arms. Here's an example: https://archivetvmusings.blog/tag/the-deadly-assassin/

A few choice quotes:
"The trial of the Doctor was another R. Holmes farce. The ‘War Games’ trial was so excellent, but of course this had to be in Earth norms, and was pathetic. Then later the Doctor and co. go to look at the public register system to see that really happened at the ceremony. Now we were, I believe, dealing with Time Lords, so why couldn’t they and look at a time scanner and see the truth?"

"Another fact forgotten is that Time Lords are immortal. In ‘War Games’ the Doctor said they could ‘live forever barring accidents’. This had never been changed until ‘ Morbius’ where we learnt that the Time Lords used the Elixir if they had trouble regenerating. So why didn’t the Master use the Elixir? We also saw in ‘Morbius’ eleven incarnations of the Doctor (‘though in ‘Three Doctors’ Hartnell was rightly the first) so now we’re left with one more Doctor, according to ‘Deadly Assassin’."

"I’ve spoken to many people, many of whom were not members, and they all said how this story shattered their illusions of the Time Lords, and lowered them to ordinary people.

Once, Time Lords were all-powerful, awe-inspiring beings, capable of imprisoning planets forever in force fields, defenders of truth and good (when called in). Now, they are petty, squabbling, feeble-minded, doddering old fools.

WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THE MAGIC OF DOCTOR WHO?"

I suspect most or all of us today don't share these concerns about the episode, but they undeniably recognize what that story is doing. The trial is indeed a Bob Holmes farce, with the Doctor doing courtroom art and the whole thing circumvented by the Doctor invoking the Time Lord constitution, which evidently permits the murderer of a Lord President to avoid prosecution by attempting to succeed him. The idea that such an important trial would depend merely on interviews and not using a tool like the Matrix to determine what happened is odd, to say the least, and does contribute to the general re-envisioning of the Time Lords from mysterious and all-powerful to ancient, doddering, and corrupt, as well as unimaginative and stolid.

And clearly Jan Vincent-Rudzki correctly identified the plan (after abandoned) to create a future story around a "post-limit" regeneration, a keen enough observation that I'll forgive him missing that the Master has clearly suffered multiple "accidents" and is certainly not dying from old age. The criticism of the regeneration limit is a fair one, though, given future canon: Underworld (which I hate to cite as evidence for anything) shows us a form of recycled/regeneration that appears to indicate that death from aging was solved by the Time Lords a long time ago, so why have Borusa desperate to attain immortality? This created more problems than it solved for the show, and it wasn't necessary. Have the Master be dying due to injuries that cannot be regenerated from, not due to an arbitrary limit on regenerations!

The point being that Bob Holmes very deliberately wanted to make this change to how the Time Lords were depicted, and for the most part it has stuck, with even The End of Time's powerful Time Lords getting undone by Hell Bent. This new history of the Time Lords and the presence of agents from the earlier days of their rule, if it turns out to be true, opens up the possibility for a lot of new stories within canon about who the Time Lords were.

I suspect I agree with much of the thread in wishing that we had a better showrunner overseeing those new stories. But this latest Doctor's past retcon no more ruined the magic of Doctor Who than Bob Holmes did in the seventies. And in terms of the imaginative space available in the Doctor Who canon, it's a far more generous retcon than Assassin was.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Now there’s nobody left to prevent the catharsis of spurious morality.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

On one of the commentary tracks, Mark Strickson said that he always played scenes with other companions like they were in a secret relationship. I remember Janet Fielding not being too impressed, haha.

"Yeah, so secret he was the only one who knew about it, Mark."*

*(Not actually said by Janet Fielding.)

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

Okay, which one of you guys thought that season finale was good? Come on, speak up. We never agree on anything, so there has to be someone.

I’d say 6 or 7 out of 10. High marks for taking risks, low marks for sidelining the Doctor for most of the episode. High marks for the cyberthreat in part 1 getting trivialized by the Master in part 2, low marks for “I won’t kill you but I’ll run away and let this other guy kill you”, though if they’d executed it better it would have worked. High marks for characterization and development, low marks for a trademark “resolve the plot via last-minute exposition”. I’d rather massive squandered potential over the previous finale’s waste of time and talent.

Tl;dr? It me. Episode good, just on strength of how much it pissed off the fanboys.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Chokes McGee posted:

My problem was more it's dumb as hell and makes no sense.

Eleven was on his last legs. If he had endless regenerations PLUS the ability to magically walk away from a fall after being shot without a regeneration the 12 life limit wouldn't apply.

It's just dumb and poorly thought out and makes zero sense. You can't hotshot stuff with 50 years of momentum. :(

Setting aside the joke about 10 surviving ridiculous amounts of punishment in his last story without regenerating, your characterization about the regeneration limit isn't supported by the show's own history. Robert Holmes introduced it in The Deadly Assassin to help motivate the Master, and in the Classic series it's always linked to him: wanting more regenerations, getting a new body, being offered a new regeneration cycle by the Time Lords in the Five Doctors. Borusa's desire for "immortality" is potentially distinct from the limit, as it's unclear whether he wants to live forever in his current incarnation or to have endless regenerations. Yes, the Valeyard seems in some way tied to the Doctor's own regenerative cycle, but that's dodgy and we can't trust either his self-characterization or the Master's explanation of his existence. In any event,

We get conflicting evidence about regeneration in the series. The Brain of Morbius, obviously on Chib's mind and shown prior to the regeneration limit being introduced, seems to show multiple past incarnations of the Doctor. Romana I has something funny going on when she regenerates. She's the only character in the classic series we see regenerate besides the Doctor, although it's obviously implied in Borusa's case. Underworld shows that the Minyans, using Time Lord technology, have what appear to be limitless abilities to make their bodies young again. The Cartmel years strongly imply that the Doctor was a contemporary of Omega and Rassilon, which would make him older than it seems he can possibly be with only 13 lives (12 regenerations = 13 lives, not 12). The Master seems to have little trouble chugging along and he's been over the limit since the limit was originally established.

As for the new series, was the Doctor killing all the Time Lords dumb when it turned out that he didn't and he just thought he did? (I suspect you might say "yes.") Eleven thought he was on his last life, and he very clearly lived longer than any other incarnation had; he believed he was going to die and what we saw on the screen was energy coming out of one of the Cracks and the Doctor regenerating. All the rest is inference, either ours or the characters'. Rassilon seems to keep going and going, so he may have a way around the 12 life limit that doesn't involve being turned to stone for eternity. If Me can survive until the end of the universe thanks to a modified chip that appears to be standard gear for an alien species, conceiving of the 12 regeneration limit as an absolute rule and not an arbitrary one seems unrealistic even if you're unwilling to step outside the fiction and recognize that the Doctor can't run out of lives until the show ends, or more to the point, until people stop telling stories about her.

Tl;dr again: dude, if I'm telling you that you're taking this poo poo too seriously, listen.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The Sontarans differ from the Daleks in that, while they both view other races as inferior, the Daleks have basically been established as "space Nazis" who are obsessed with racial purity. While the Sontarans are more the equivalent of your old-time colonial powers, locked in a seemingly eternal war with a rival power and focused on conquest for the glory of their empire (you could also make a parallel between the Sontarans/Rutans and the US/Soviets during the Cold War, except they didn't bother with proxy wars and just went straight for direct conflict instead).

Too many writers missing Holmes' joke in The Time Warrior: have a clone species, but only ever show one of them.

And the secondary joke of a bunch of identical clone warriors who have radically different personalities and kind of can't stand each other.

What I really want to see is a Master/Ice Warrior story. But the "stories we'd like to see" discussion also made me realize than when we finally got the Master and Davros in the same episode, they essentially had nothing to do with one another.

Hasn't Big Finish done at least one "everyone is the Doctor" story already?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Homora Gaykemi posted:

it's good to point out that Lovecraft was a hateful poo poo, but it feels kind of empty doing so while putting out stories where the Doctor uncritically pals around with Winston "Famine or no famine, Indians will always breed like rabbits (so we'll just let 2 million of them starve to death)" Churchill

Lovecraft was a hateful poo poo, but also politically unconnected, powerless, and poor. His work's public domain. His racist works are on full display. He's easy to call out. He also had massive psychological problems.

By all accounts, he was remarkably supportive of other writers despite his own struggles, and in ways that many of his more successful contemporaries weren't.

It's almost like most human beings aren't either paragons or monsters, but mixtures of the two...

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

River and Romana to operate the TARDIS properly, plus Yasmin, Clara, and Susan.

The Doctor can catch up later.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I believe this scene's been cut from some broadcasts for longer than it would've been a rights issue. I think the general guess for a while, at least, was that the shot of the Doctor being treated like a dog might've been a bit too much.

Between that and the ending of the episode, I found myself wondering if this was all just Rusty's subconscious telling the world that he really wishes he could gently caress Jesus.

Though on the bright side, it does open up the question of which three Doctors the various Masters would choose for gently caress/Marry/Kill.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

Sadly no, it's because for the last of the Doctor Who global watches Stephen Moffat wrote a short about Bill and Nardole and said it was the last thing he will ever write for Doctor Who. Someone saw that tweet who didn't know what they were reading and ran with it.

"Nobody else has run with this story yet! I've got a scoop!"

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

A crime that this season also committed; erasing the 8/Mary Shelley BF stories.

Still happened, they both just had their memories erased afterward.

On the Timeless Child, there’s clearly more to come and time will tell whether this is a redeemable development. All I’ll say is that I’m in favor of anything that gets us more Jo Martin Doctor.

I do wonder whether there’s going to be a connection drawn to Captain Jack and his status.

As for the CIA Doctor, it could be an interesting way to explore the implications of the Timeless Child starting out as a series of minority people being experimented upon and killed who eventually regenerates into a white male form and behaves as an enforcer of the law of the colonial power before regenerating into a black woman who rebels against it and sets a trend for her future selves. As has been mentioned, it’s an interesting way of reworking the Victorian inventor model of the Doctor that is pro-colonial England.

It’s no more unintelligible than Moffat’s “Doctor grew up in a barn in an orphanage in Outer Gallifrey” and “Doctor kidnapped the President’s daughter” additions to the canon.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Whether a lore retcon becomes canon, or a blind alley soon forgotten, or a throw-away line, can’t be determined at the time. I didn’t care for the President’s daughter thing because it turns the Doctor from a marginalized, just-scraped-thru-exams nobody who winds up entangled in Time Lord affairs in a major way into someone who really ought to have been a bigger deal in the early Gallifrey stories, and to no good purpose that I can see.

Just like I didn’t much care for the Moffat-era developments of “Hi, I’m the Doctor, I defeat you by referring to my famous name” followed by “I have erased knowledge of myself from history”. But he retconned the first problem and pretty much forgot about the second almost immediately, so it ended up as a bit of a blip.

And other, huge changes like adding an extra Doctor or making Clara part of the Doctor’s past, didn’t bother me a bit.

My point is that it’s too soon to evaluate the Timeless Child thread. Based on past history, it’s reasonable to be concerned about Chibnall’s ability to pull whatever it is off, but there are potentially some very interesting stories to tell now.

Plus we are likely to get Jo Martin Doctor stories out of Big Finish.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Every time I see a recent picture or video of Tennant I can’t shake the feeling that his face has shrunk from the jawline down. It’s eerie.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Does the app really decide to take someone clearly in his late fifties and make him look like a woman twenty years younger? I’m not sure who to be offended for first. It’s offensive enough when casting directors do it.

In other news, I’ve been watching a lot of Columbo lately and Jack Cassidy would have made a stellar Master for an alt-history American Doctor Who program.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

CobiWann posted:

A Fourth Doctor DVD came in the mail! A story about some kind of monster who resides in a possible hole in the ground.

This post could refer to:
Genesis of the Daleks
Revenge of the Cybermen
Planet of Evil
Pyramids of Mars
The Hand of Fear
The Talons of Weng-Chiang
Underworld
Meglos
State of Decay

and the one CobiWann probably received.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

CobiWann posted:

Guys! Guys!

Turns out there was a creature in the pit!

What did they call it?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

Oh my god. :aaa:

This is that Gun vs Frock thing again, isn't it?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
People forget the technical aspects of quick cuts and edits: it isn’t just a matter of lots of camera setups, editing was much harder before digital video. Classic Who editing either involved film or worse, video tape editing. So the difficulty and expense in having a five-minute scene with dozens of cuts versus the same scene with one continuous shot led to completely different approaches to composing and pacing a scene.

That the pacing is slower isn’t a bad thing. Theater is rarely as frenetic as modern movies or TV and it still works just fine.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

I didn’t realise Capaldi was in James Gunn’s upcoming Suicide Squad as The Thinker. :monocle:

Gunn is determined to cast as many former Doctor Who stars as he can so he can force them to shave their heads, I guess.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Yes, essentially the Doctor being the Timeless Child boils down entirely to the Master, a known liar, telling the Doctor a story he claims is true while showing "evidence" from the Matrix since it can't lie... despite the fact the very first appearance of the infallible record of the Matrix was in The Deadly Assassin where the record was being faked... by the Master. Also, the Doctor's reaction to being told she is the Timeless Child is to say,"Well that doesn't make any sense at all" and then the Master just going,"But it's true!" so she just kind of... believes him?

It was a dumb nod to a long discounted and discarded idea that Robert Holmes had which was dismissed by the showrunners at the time, and actively ignores or dismissed multiple (scores!) of other instances in the show of establishing over and over and over again that William Hartnell was the Doctor's first incarnation. It also completely discounts the fact that the Doctor wasn't really, truly the Doctor at all until he took Ian and Barbara hostage and they basically taught him to have empathy for more than just himself and his granddaughter.

Yes I'm still unreasonably grumpy about it, because even if Chibnall plans to immediately pull a Moffat twist in the very next episode, we had to sit with this dumb concept for like a year before that aired, and now who knows how long it'll be since Covid has probably completely derailed filming for the next season.

From a Doylist perspective, Chibnall's move made perfect sense. He wants to have a Black woman playing the Doctor. If he has her as a future Doctor, he's either taking a big risk on getting her again when Jodie departs, or he's creating a huge problem for a future showrunner, or he's creating a situation where she's an "alternative" Doctor who doesn't really count. That last option is not a great look for the first Black woman in the role, and you know there are toxic fans who would just love that technical "she isn't really the Doctor" excuse.

So he can't add her as a future Doctor. And Day of the Doctor plus Eleven's regeneration locks him out of a past Doctor... unless there were Doctors prior to One. That also gives him the opportunity to play with/delve into the past of the Time Lords, who in terms of their future seem like they've been uninteresting for quite some time.

Yes, there's a certain paucity of imagination, and it isn't clear that Chibnall has anything to say beyond making the casting (though having nothing to say would hardly be the first time for the series), but if it gets us the Ruth Doctor I am willing to put up with a considerable amount of mishandled or bullshit ideas.

I'd argue that the harm done to the fictional setting of the show is outweighed by the potential good of this casting choice. Especially in 2019 and 2020, where white supremacy seems to be making a comeback alongside all the other ick. Turning one of my favorite show's continuities into drivel is a price to pay, yes, but not too big a price, especially if we see Ruth again and she's played as well as she has been so far.

On the scale of violations from adding the War Doctor to adding the Valeyard to having the Great Intelligence and Clara jump into the TARDIS core to write themselves into the past of the show, it's not clear yet how big this one is going to be. I do know that adding the Ruth Doctor does less harm to One's legacy than, say, what was done to Borusa over the course of the series from Four to Five.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I really think a “RuthDoc is a 6B Doc between 2 & 3” explanation is the best solution for all involved. Just say that 10’s Metacrisis regeneration didn’t count as a full regeneration and you can still adhere to a 13 regeneration limit with Ruth and War Doc as the “forgotten” Doctors. Then have The Master as the actual Timeless Child and you’ve given him another reason to feel so hurt and vengeful toward the Time Lords.

Boom, I just handwaved any potential issues brought up last season even though there’s really no reason a show with an already tenuous adherence to continuity can’t just rewrite its own past at will to inject a little diversity and representation into its DNA at a time in our culture when that sort of thing is sorely needed.

When the discussion is between whether to have a 6B Doctor or an explanation for the extra faces in Brain of Morbius and Seven's references to being much older and "more than just a Time Lord," you're trying to solve a problem while disregarding the vast majority of viewers.

I think Chibnall wanted a Black woman as the Doctor and didn't want to wait and hope that he was still showrunner and got to cast the next Doctor. I think everything else followed from that. His first intent, then, wouldn't have been to solve a "problem" within the show's continuity, but rather to have a real, genuine, not alternate, not "projected," not "Doctor with an asterisk" Doctor who he could use alongside Jodie to tell stories.

I would not put it past him to be trolling hard-core fans at the same time, although Moffat remains the champion at that. I mean, c'mon, the Grand Moff green-lit the "Moon is a giant egg" story AND the forests grow to save us from solar flares story. Chibnall's still bush leagues in comparison and I will be delighted if he has the moxie to make the Timeless Child thing stick, even if I have mixed feelings about it from the Watsonian perspective.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

jivjov posted:

Well, I finished Series 12. And honestly, I didn't hate the Timeless Child reveal as much as I thought I would. I don't like that apparently a bunch of the Pre-Hartnell incarnations were wetworks operatives for a hastily renamed Celestial Intervention Agency....but I feel like the episode still made it pretty clear that the Doctor as we know them still made the conscious decision to go out into the universe to be a meddler.

It seems unlikely that they were unquestioning robots, and likely that they kept getting mind-wiped when they acted up. Certainly, most incarnations of the Doctor are capable of breathtaking ruthlessness, and it's so interesting to have the Ruth Doctor during Jodie's era, as her Doctor seems to have rejected that (and often to our frustration).

And I do think that shifting the implied background of the Doctor from "got into the Time Lord caste out of an orphanage in the poor part of Gallifrey" to "the Ur-oppressed minority exploited by the Gallifreyan colonial power" shifts the character neatly out of a Victorian-era narrative that doesn't exactly challenge the British Empire (think rags-to-riches) into a more modern postcolonial narrative.

Or to be less Lit Crit about it, the Doctor-as-orphan narrative fits into all those stories about white boys who grow up to discover they are sons of royalty (the orphan girl narrative usually involves marrying royalty), so the idea that rewriting the Doctor's past somehow strips away the character's subversiveness seems strange to me. I do grant there's a lot of cringe possible along this path, though. As long as the show doesn't take things too far and get caught up in its own metaphor, there's a chance to comment far more boldly than Chibnall's first season suggested he is capable of.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I'd never thought about it from this angle, and I actually like it, although it all banks on that actually being the direction they take, which... isn't necessarily true.

The thing that I think largely bothers people about this is that it takes the Doctor, who's what I generally call a 'Nobody Special' hero (essentially just a total rando doing the right thing), and turning them into a 'Somebody Special' hero (someone predestined to be taking on this role; your chosen ones, royal family either known or secret, pre-established ranks and roles but that can get a little muddy). You could argue that the Doctor is one of the greatest 'Nobody Special' heroes, with 50+ years of stories across all manner of settings that all essentially stem from the Doctor being the one to put their hand up and say 'hang on, can I jump in here'. Even things like technically being an in-crisis President or whatnot don't really change that, because it all stems from events that we've seen develop.

The Timeless Child reveal... technically doesn't change that by itself (as it stands they still look to be Nobody Special, just from a different place than we thought), but it could be used to change that, to recontextualize the entire show as 'this happened because the Doctor is Special'. I think the general hope is that it doesn't change anything, but for some that ship has already sailed.

Well, Seven was a "Somebody Special" hero for a while; Eight (at least on TV) doubled-down by being "half-human." New series Doctor was even worse on account of being "last of the Time Lords," which is what gave us the horrible and entitled stuff in Ten and Eleven's runs. As painful as Twelve's "am I the villain this series" year was, it at least set up for Clara's "I can be a Doctor" repudiation of the increasingly-cringeworthy ending to Donna's story, where Davies tells us that an ordinary woman could be like the Doctor, but then we have to kill her, so taking that away without her consent is the right, if tragic, move. I'm unsure Jenna Coleman can play "Nobody Special" so Clara's ending doesn't quite correct Donna's, but between Clara and Bill, Moffat did a decent job of correcting for Donna. And Chibnall does seem to be registering the "Doctor makes her ordinary companions extraordinary" throughline.

The Doctor-as-Aristo/Doctor-as-Prole tension has been around for the whole show. One and Three come across as entitled and comfortable in aristocratic settings; Two and Four are subversive; that strand gets a bit lost after that, I think, at least until the new series' deliberate "fits in anywhere, belongs nowhere" reimagining.

And yeah, this new direction could lead to a lot of poo poo stories, and with Chibnall as runner it's reasonable to be nervous about what's next. But Doctor Who has plenty of poo poo stories. I'd rather see the show take a wild chance and not pull it off than see it playing everything safe and failing anyway. Give me ten "Kill the Moon"s before I have to suffer another "Death to the Daleks." This change, if it's not reversed, opens up a ton of new stories because it makes the previously off-limits past of the Time Lords a thing that is now in play.

The show's history with Time Lord-centric stories is not especially glowing, but being able to do a lot more past Doctor adventures on-screen is intriguing, and it opens up a space for the Doctor to have always been what she is.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

Great, now I can't name my kid that. What of they run out of license plates at the gift shop?

The Ambassadors of Death is still available, although between the pause and the twaaang your kid is going to have issues at school.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

Doctor Who feels like that because they film like one episode every five years these days.

Next episode should be out in another five minutes.

And then, cue the years of therapy and people insisting that there never was any such program as Doctor Who.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

SecretOfSteel posted:

I would be happy even if they went the "just a dream!" route, and have Ryan waking her up and then she steps in and helps him learn to ride his bike like she drat well should have in that first episode...

End of the next season is the Doctor waking up to discover that she's been in the Matrix all this time.

Since The Deadly Assassin.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Pastamania posted:

That's been Chibnalls thing the whole time he's written for Who though - Dull as gently caress episodes with occasionally weird payoffs, like 'Amazon workers should like stfu' and 'Hey Nazi's it's a brown guy, get him!', or 'deadbeat Dellboy-esq Dad who keeps abandoning his son to chase crazy schemes was proved right when his crazy scheme saved the day'. Even Dinosaurs on a Spaceship - the one good thing he's written on Who - suddenly morphed from dumb fun comedy romp to 'gently caress you Walder Frey DIE' out of nowhere.

Hmm. I'm not going to defend the author of Cyberwoman as brilliant, but there's plenty of fair criticisms to level at Chibnall without ascribing other people's faults to him.

Kerblam! author = Pete McTighe
Kerblam! script editor = Fiona McAllister

Plus we have McTighe specifically taking credit for the "twist" at the end of the episode, and proudly so.

42 and The Woman Who Fell to Earth were both competent, The Power of Three and The Tsurunga Conundrum surprisingly good. His finales have left something to be desired, and I think I'd prefer him as showrunner not to be doing much of the writing. Then again, I think the "head writer also runs the show" development of the new era is frankly madness. We've ended up with some shockingly good series, but the management side of things hasn't been as consistent and I find myself wondering if the overlap in responsibilities isn't part of why it seems to be so hard to complete a season every year.

He's not as talented as the previous two showrunners. But I'd take him over Eric Saward any day.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Edward Mass posted:

Being better than the guy who got Doctor Who off the air for 18 months is not exactly a high bar.

OK, let's get down to cases, shall we? Questions below for the thread. How would you rate Chibnall as a writer in comparison to the following series writers (ignore the show-running stuff)?

Mark Gatiss
Bob Baker and Dave Martin
Terry Nation

He's clearly worse than the best writers for the show, and there have been a decent number of them. He's better than the absolute worst, although I do suspect a few posters here might argue that and suggest that Pip and Jane Baker or Mervyn Haisman and Henry Lincoln are massively underrated.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

OldMemes posted:

Ace is top tier companion level, mostly for that scene alone. Sylvester McCoy and Sophie Aldred had (and still do) have excellent chemistry together, it's one of those castings that just works.

"WHO ARE YOU CALLING SMALL?!"

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

An Taoiseach posted:

Something I really loved about the run is that there was a running joke of The Master cheesing it at the end of a serial via stolen vehicle...only for it to pay off in The Daemons, when he tries to escape in Bessie, which The Doctor prevents via remote control

Delgado’s performance when the Doctor takes control of the car is... ahem... Masterful.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Davros1 posted:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1333129854208892931?s=20

They brought back Chris Noth's character from Arachnids in the UK

We'll see if this ep can retroactively redeem the decision in Arachnids to have him walk away unimpeded.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

So, it’s the same plot as Victory of the Daleks...?

Except this time, Jack’s the robot.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Vinylshadow posted:

He's in a Dalek episode

He's doomed

Prediction: He encounters Davros, derides him as being weak, beats him at arm wrestling, and declares himself the new leader of the Daleks.

Yes, there is something worse that can happen to the Daleks than having Davros around!

(And now I have irreversibly locked into my mind the image of a Dalek wearing an orange hairpiece wheeling around asking other Daleks if they are tired of winning yet.)

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Both sides are supremacists (the Time Lords less so, but only because the other side are, well, you know... Daleks) and probably looked at Sontarans like gum they stepped on in the streets - annoying and a bitch to deal with, but ultimately meaningless.

The Sontarans successfully invaded Gallifrey in The Invasion of Time, but that was a really dumb third act to what had started as a really loving interesting story that wasted the 4th Doctor getting to give a performance as a quasi-villain, and nobody who watched it found it in any way believable. It did at least give us a Sontaran getting taken out by a plastic pool chair though.

Just fix that by imagining a scene on the Sontaran flagship when the Doctor fires the Demat gun. Every single Sontaran except the leader vanishes. The leader pulls off his helmet revealing... THE MASTER! (Your pick of Melkur-Master or a later version.)

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

In reality what is gonna happen is the Master is gonna show up and go,"Yeah no poo poo I made this all up. I even used the Matrix to fake memories just like I did literally the first time the "unfakeable memory of the Matrix" showed up back back in Deadly Assassin!"

If it was a trick, I think that the Master fell for it. Hard. Likely it will be the Doctor to convince him otherwise, and then he’ll be really mad at whoever pulled it off.

But I think that’s unlikely to be the case, unless Chibnall plans a scene near the end of his tenure where the Master shows up and kills him on-screen. (I’d call that impossible, but look at Twice Upon a Time...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Edward Mass posted:

Random festive thought: there should be a Fourth Doctor nutcracker.

Too small to chew the scenery.