Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
That OP made me realize I’ve been posting in incarnations of this thread for a full 1/3rd of my life.

You’re welcome. :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

Hopefully all the old Docs are in heavy isolation right now. :ohdear:

All the old Docs should post videos like Mel Brooks, waving their arms at their kids from behind glass telling them to go away.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I didn’t realize Rodan (the Time Lord) was someone from The Invasion of Time until after I’d already imagined The Doctor officiating the wedding of Mothra and Rodan (the giant monster) during a lull in the Time War.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
That Troughton pic will never not astound me. The guy was an actual Don Draper and somehow they turned him into Moe Howard.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
1/5/10 for me, I think. 1 has some rough edges, but it’s the only Eccleston season we got and he’s still My Doctor. 5 is self-explanatory. 10 was a toss-up with 9, but I think overall it’s the better season even though there are still obvious gems like Heaven Sent.

One thing sorting through those choices did hammer home for me is how Capaldi, Smith, and Tennant all have about a 1:1 good:bad ratio for episodes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

TinTower posted:

The best thing about Rusty was that even when he failed, he failed gloriously.

Case in point, Tinkerbell Jesus.

I haven’t rewatched any RTD episodes since at least 2012ish, but I also haven’t really felt the need. The whole era is so memorable because it’s all insane, especially the failures. RTD had many faults, but the man never phoned anything in. Everything is full tilt cranked to 11 at all times.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’m rewatching the revival from Rose onwards for the first time in at least a decade and wow I do not remember Tooth and Claw at all.

I mean I very vaguely recall a werewolf episode but I do not remember it opening with a team of Karl Pilkington shaolin monks demolishing a bunch of old villagers like something out of Hot Fuzz.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 2, 2020

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Jerusalem posted:

(also the first on-screen explicit reference to Torchwood if I remember right?)

They briefly namedrop Torchwood in the Weakest Link segment of Bad Wolf but I can’t remember if that’s the first time.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Man, I’d also forgotten how mean-spirited it was for the show to constantly poo poo on Mickey.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Carbon dioxide posted:

The tenth doctor mostly treated him like a person.

I’m on Rise of the Cybermen now and 10 is still treating him like poo poo. He whines and complains when Mickey asks to go with them. Plus there’s the “You can’t keep the horse”, “I let you keep Mickey!” exchange in The Girl in The Fireplace.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Yet another item on the list of things I’d forgotten; 10 is incredibly quick to bloodshed when it comes to anything other than a human. And even then, his whole solution for the Cybermen is to give them their emotions back, let them realize the body horror they’ve suffered, and then sit back as that realization drives them mad and kills them.

It’s loving horrific if you think about it for more than a second :stonk:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Jerusalem posted:

God that story is the best :)

I love when the Secret Service pull guns on the Doctor when he shows up unannounced to the Oval Office, and he laughs that they're not gonna shoot him just for standing there doing nothing, at which point everybody else runs out of the TARDIS screaming,"THEY'RE AMERICANS!"

Oof man, that joke is way too real now.

In lighter news, I’d forgotten how refreshing the 10/Martha dynamic was coming right off the melodramatic heels of the Rose farewell. Although, I seem to recall them doing a sorta similar will they/won’t they thing with her eventually? It’s been about a decade so maybe I’m misremembering.

Either way, I still prefer Martha to Rose. Season 2 is an unfortunate combination of extremely uneven episodes and a grating 10/Rose dynamic. I don’t hate either character like I used to, but I definitely welcomed the end of that relationship by the time Doomsday rolled around.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Jerusalem posted:

Now Donna, there was somebody who got a strongly defined character, and God she was the absolute best.

I had forgotten The Runaway Bride special existed and I am so looking forward to my season 4 rewatch :allears:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
This is basically unrelated, but if they ever try to make an American Doctor Who again they should let Michael McKean play The Master.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Revival rewatch update: I honestly think Last of The Time Lords may be the dumbest hour of Doctor Who ever filmed.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Kill the Moon and Forest are in a different category for me because they’re definitely bad but you can kinda see what they were trying to accomplish.

LotTL is like if someone purposely chose the dumbest possible solutions to every single plot beat in their script, but tried to hold them up as celebratory and genuinely inspiring. You spend the entire episode just aggressively rolling your eyes at every single moment and line of dialogue until they give up and fall into the back of your head.

And, to make matters worse, the only slightly redeeming part of the episode (SimmMaster gleefully dancing around and taunting Tennant to “I Can’t Decide”) has been cut out of the available streaming version, presumably due to rights issues.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Still plowing through this rewatch. You know, I had my problems with Tennant back in the day and I definitely welcomed his departure, but I’m actually kinda enjoying his Doc now. He’s still too melodramatic and he’s a huge hypocrite when it comes to violence, but his manic energy and enthusiasm is kinda endearing in a childish way. Maybe I’m just getting nostalgic a decade later but I’d really like to see him play off Capaldi and Whitaker in a new multi-Doc story. Or maybe it’s just the generally improved writing in the Donna season, who knows?

- Planet of The Ood is still solid and the Ood themselves have to be one of the better Revival alien designs.
- That Sontaran two-parter is still awful, although the techbro villain is far more believable as a threat in tyool 2020.
- The Doctor’s Daughter has some nice moments but hooo boy that ending. Someone post that “The Man Who Never Would” comic.
- I’d completely forgotten Felicity Jones was in The Unicorn and The Wasp.
- Library two-parter is still great, but I’m not sure a fake beige Heaven with fake kids is an appropriate final resting place for River in retrospect. She’s basically a mortal Doctor, let her run around a whole galaxy doing Doctor things.
- Happy to report the Midnight haters are still wrong. :colbert:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

CobiWann posted:

Who the hell hates Midnight?!? That's my favorite Ten episode!

I vaguely recall there being a large contingent of posters here who weren’t fond of the episode back when it aired. I think their main gripe was that it was boring.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I think Matt Smith would look stranger with eyebrows tbh

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

PriorMarcus posted:

Anyone know what this Jeffrey dude is like and if he will put some actual money and effort into this place?

Jeffery has been pretty much singlehandedly keeping the site running and tossing out the mountains of garbage (and surprisingly racist!) Radium code that continually crashes the site for a few years now. He’s low-key but seems like a decent person and he’s committed to actually fixing the site.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I think Capaldi found his own personal voice after his first season, but it doesn’t always shine through because a lot of his writers failed to do the same. Couple that with Moffat losing steam and Capaldi is easily the biggest missed opportunity Doctor of the revival.

WhittakerDoc feels the same thus far, which is a bit worrying. Jodie’s performance has been great, but the writers just don’t seem to have a very clear and cohesive idea of what her Doc should be. I really wish they’d lean into her tinkerer/inventor side more.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I know the characters aren’t really similar at all, but 12 & Bill really gave me 7 & Ace vibes for some reason.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Something like that, yeah. Ace was in high school, Bill was in college (I think, I’ve only watched that season once).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I think two years is about the right tenure for a companion. Any more than that and the dynamic between them and the Doctor has a tendency to get less interesting because they’re so familiar with each other. The best companions are always the ones that challenge the Doctor and you get a lot less of that when they’re just mates having adventures.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Love seeing the BTS stuff, you did fantastic work on the show, echoplex.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

If you take that hump away, they look alright.

I still think that bottom skirt is too tall and it makes them look like bumper cars.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The Emperor Dalek looks like he’s been stung by a bunch of bees for trying to eat their honey

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
If you already have a handle on the current TARDIS Crew dynamic then I would just skip straight to the current season. It’s similarly all over the place in quality, but the episodes are far more interesting and Whitaker has really started to settle into the role. With all the weird continuity shakeups and the more frenetic storytelling it really reminds me of a slightly subdued revisit of the RTD era.

But I also didn’t hate the finale that’s been pretty much universally panned, so YMMV.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
poo poo that’s right, I forgot I watched it on the BBCA app but I doubt it’s still available.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Christopher Ecclestone is doing Big Finish!!!!

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?article=christopher-eccleston-big-finish

Never thought I'd see the day!!!

“This is it, I’m finally getting into Big Finish for real”, I say to myself for the twentieth time, but this time I mean it!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Edward Mass posted:

I thought Bruno Langley went to jail for something.

Looking it up, he apparently pleaded guilty to sexual assault a few years ago :yikes:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’m up to the 11/Clara era in my rewatch and I really think 11’s speckled blurple jacket and waistcoat look might be my all-time favorite Doctor outfit. It’s the perfect mix of Edwardian professor and mad adventurer. I also think my previous opinion of Clara has been unfairly biased by her last season because she’s just great in this first season.

The intro for this season is just visually perfect too, it’s the best of the Moffat years.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HQbYgj7ZBVI

Put the Doctor’s face back in the intro Chibnall, you coward :argh:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I think it fits 11 fairly well. As he grows and matures as a character so does his wardrobe. 11 was always a madman, but post-Amy he’s a lot more subdued and calculating. It reminds me of 7 going from that tan outfit with the constant juggling clown bits to his darker brown look toward the end.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah that's actually a pretty good read.

I guess it's just personal preference that I prefer his first season, then - it was such a breath of fresh air after the final mopey Tennant episodes. Now that I think about it, it was probably the only season of the revival where he wasn't a) being sad about something that happened in a previous season or b) facing death (Moffat went back to this well over and over). Just the Doctor at his most Doctor-y

That’s partly why I love 11 so much; even after Amy and Rory age themselves to death he’s still not moping about for half a season. 11 is a very optimistic kind of “chin up” Doctor. He matures over the seasons but he never really gets jaded or dour.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Open Source Idiom posted:

Doesn't he do most of his moping off screen? He's definitely begins The Snowmen and The Bells of St John after an extended period of moping.

If anything, they imply he does more moping than, say, Tennant.

Maybe, but that’s a bit different from 10 constantly moping on-screen, bringing up Rose all the time around Martha and throwing a tantrum post-Waters of Mars. You also get the sense that when 11 does it it’s more like he’s quietly mourning his friends than 10’s loudly raging at the unfair universe.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
The pacing differences aren’t just a Doctor Who occurrence either, they’re just part of the natural evolution of tv shows in the last 30 years. Everything is more cinematic now, plus your average DW story from the 60s-80s is usually almost twice (and often three or four times) as long as your 45-50 minute revival episode. That’s a lot more time to have quiet little asides and character moments.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I reached the end of the 11 era in my rewatch last night and, even though the events leading up to it are still a gigantic mess, I still love Smith’s final episode. Having him spend what he believes are his final years defending a small farm town from every enemy in the universe as he becomes the heart and soul of that town is just so genuinely endearing. His goodbye speech still breaks my heart.

As great as Capaldi was and Whitaker has been, I don’t think I’ll ever stop missing 11 :unsmith:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I’d imagine it’s also an easy audience as far as ratings go since lots of folks are just sitting at home doing holiday stuff.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

I didn’t realise Capaldi was in James Gunn’s upcoming Suicide Squad as The Thinker. :monocle:

Oh hell yeah :getin:

I’m finally rounding out my Character Options Doctor collection and today the War Doctor arrived. He looks great! But I’m not sure if the alternate head is supposed to be Eight or a young post-regeneration John Hurt because it doesn’t quite look like either of them. Anyone know?

I just need to decide which One, Three, Six, and Eight figures I want now. I really wish the Night of The Doctor figure wasn’t so drat expensive now because I’m not crazy about any of his victorian/TV movie looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

The spare head is meant to be 8, although 9 would make much more sense.

It might be worth tracking down the 13 Docs set, as it comes with a bloodied NotD 8. Also available is Dark Eyes 8 with blue leather coat in a 2-pack with a dalek.

Oh nice, I didn’t know they’d updated that big set. I really dig the 6B Troughton and the JNT Tom in it.