Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Hawkmen Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!

Bicyclops posted:

In the last thread, someone said that Ernest P. Worrell would have made a good Doctor Who, and, darn it, they're right.

That was me. It wasn't meant to be serious, but you are correct. Ernest the Doctor *would* be great.

But while discussing the last 3 episodes of the current season with my daughter, who *was* a great Dr. Who fan. My kids grew up watching every episode of Avengers (the John Steed one, not the comic thingy) Dr. Who (they started on our PBS in the '80s with 'Robot' but looped back to cover everything then available from 1-7), Monty Python, Hitchhiker's Guide (the TV series) and Red Dwarf.

But she quit watching during the last Capaldi season and won't come back. I'm probably not much help as I can't stand *most* of the last two seasons.

But... But... BUT... I kinda liked the finale. Maybe I'm contrary, but with everyone else predicting doom and gloom and hating the last episode, I really... LIKED it.

I could care less about Dr. Who "canon", because there really isn't any. I mean, during 7th run he was revealed to be MERLIN, for goodness' sake! (I loved that episode, BTW). That season had more "but WHO is the doctor?" type reveals and mysteries than anything until the later recent series. (The blue-meanie hollering 'DOC-TOR-WHO!' was just as bad, IMO).

So what did I really like about the season finale of this season?

I guess it's simple. The new master. He is great. He is evil and doesn't give a crap about anything except being evil and pushing the Doctor's buttons. It reminded me of some of the best episodes with Delgado and Ainsley (like Logopolis - torture Adric and mess with reality 'for giggles'). I actually enjoyed how he was a complete match for the Cybermen. (well, at least the head cyber-dude). I also loved how he 'dispatched' the cyber dude instantly and without fanfare once he was unnecessary.

Let's not forget that gawd-awful (IMO) Cyberman episode with Smith & Clara and those two 'most horrible child actors in Dr. Who history' that Clara 'babysat' and how they destroyed all cyber-thing canon with that constant "UPGRADE" nonsense. At least they came back this time as more typical Cybermen, even with weirdo-leader dude.

So basically while reminiscing with daughter about the 'good old days' of Dr. Who I realized that there has been as many gawd-awful episodes of DR. ... from classic Who right up to all the recent incarnations. So all-in-all, this last episode was pretty good.

Where Chibby seems to really fall down is *every time* he tries to involve some "real history" in the stories. The man CANNOT write historical 'fiction' to save his life. Again, IMO. So of the last couple episodes, I would rate the Mary Shelly ep to be "horrible" for that reason, but this last one I really did like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU